Newbies let get together and get results.. All r welcome

Ok,I am cluless on yet another hairstyle, What is a twist out.

:lachen:It's where you take wet hair, put on an oil or pomade, and make sections and then just do 2 strand twists down the length of your hair. You can roll up the ends with little perm rods or leave them straight, I prefer the rods.

A braid out is similar, except you plait your hair down the length and then either roll or leave straight. I usually do mine at night and put a scarf on and let them dry overnight. The bigger the braid or twist, the looser the curl pattern will be when you take them out. I usually do about 11 or 12 braids or twists in my hair and the curl pattern is nice. I have a picture of a braid out in my FOTKI.:yep: The main thing is that it allows you to leave probably a thicker moisturizer/pommade or leave-in than you would normally if you were trying to style your hair with rollers or heat. It helps to keep the new growth smooth and moisturized.:yep: I'll probably be wearing them all summer long!

LOVING IT!!! :thumbsup: Girl, you hair is SO SHINY, I NEED SHADES!!!!!:cool2: Just beautiful!! We are working this thing out!!!:grin:

Thanks Finding Me!!!!! I'm really pushing for some more thickness, especially on my ends. I'm really babying them. It seems to be working. And my regi, lol, its ultra simple, but i'll keep on figuring out what my hair likes and dislikes. But thanks again.

Thanks FindingMe, Your hair looked cute in the braid out. I think im going to have to try that one.
Also, I have an update I have decided to relax in the nest week or so. I wanted to stretch til May, but I am getting more breakage (long strands :nono:) so this stretch is going to have to come to an end. I have to say I am really scared. I feel like I never relaxed before, I only stretch for an extra 4 weeks :perplexed. So, I think I am going to so a protein treatment tomorrow. Has anyone used Aphogee Two Step Protein Treatment. Last time I used Aphogee Intensive Keratine Reconstructor. Do you think the 2 step is to harsh. TIA.
:lachen:It's where you take wet hair, put on an oil or pomade, and make sections and then just do 2 strand twists down the length of your hair. You can roll up the ends with little perm rods or leave them straight, I prefer the rods.

A braid out is similar, except you plait your hair down the length and then either roll or leave straight. I usually do mine at night and put a scarf on and let them dry overnight. The bigger the braid or twist, the looser the curl pattern will be when you take them out. I usually do about 11 or 12 braids or twists in my hair and the curl pattern is nice. I have a picture of a braid out in my FOTKI.:yep: The main thing is that it allows you to leave probably a thicker moisturizer/pommade or leave-in than you would normally if you were trying to style your hair with rollers or heat. It helps to keep the new growth smooth and moisturized.:yep: I'll probably be wearing them all summer long!

Hi Summer74 - So, I have had a very similar problem to yours. I will tell you what I think my prob. was. I too think that my hair breaking had to do with stress and/or overprocessing. I was getting touch-ups every 5 weeks for a while & my nape would mysteriously break off. I started making my stylist be much more careful with my nape when she relaxed it. Because it kept breaking it stayed short and basically my whole nape would get permed. My nape is thicker -still not right - but thicker & not breaking b/c I have been making sure that overlap is not occuring & now I also put conditioner on my nape to make sure it is not being overprocessed. Also, you will see that if you take care of your ends you don't need to get them trimmed nearly as much. Many people think hairdressers are evil :blush: b/c they tend to get scissor happy and basically cut too much. If you are getting trims too frequently you won't see any growth b/c its being cut off. It sounds like it may have been stress the time that the back broke from ear to ear & around the sides or possibly a relaxer not rinsed out well enough. My hair once fell out from stress - my edges all the way around my entire head & a part in the middle. Oh & SCurl and mango butter were life savers for me on my 1st stretch. Good luck!
I will not allow stress to ruin my hair!!!! Thanks for the eye opener and I will make sure I have enough new growth before I get perms from now on.

Hello Summer and welcome! I got the same message when I added my avatar, but it posted. I just tried adding my fotki to my signature and got the same message. I guess I will see if it is there when I post this comment. I will let you know if I had to do anything.
I think I am getting the hang of this haha!

OMG you hair is fabulous, it looks so strong and healthly, your almost to BSL!
No the pics you see the pic in the orange top, my hair was in the process of breaking I am no longer that length. Yes feel my frustration!!! Look at my pictures it tells the sad story :wallbash:

29bnbe1.jpg
1/27/2008
o6wwe9.jpg
3/04/2008
2zj9uo7.jpg
3/04/2008
5d1ops.jpg
3/04/2008 ( I love the shine my hair has here)

These are my pics from February. I don't think i've gained length, but I did get some thickness on my ends. The first pic is right after a relaxer and the others I'm 5 weeks post. I'm pushing for 8, so we'll see.

REgimen Changes:
Cantu Shea Butter
Africa's Best Organics Carrot Oil.
Tea Tree Oil Shine( Contains Cones, but my hair likes them)
Queen Helene's Cholestorol
Isoplus Oil Sheen
Jilbere Shower Comb

Try and failed
Queen Helene's Hot Oil Treatment: It left my hair hard and brittle. I had to use a lot of conditioner to detangle it.

Stayed the same:
Dove Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner. I absolutely love Dove's products
Dr. Miracles Hot Gro Conditioner
Your hair is so shiny!!!!! I love it!

Hey ladies I would definitely like to join this challenge (If it isnt too late). I cant wait to see what is to come in 2008. I have my starting pic in my siggy.

Last edited:
Hi Summer74 - So, I have had a very similar problem to yours. I will tell you what I think my prob. was. I too think that my hair breaking had to do with stress and/or overprocessing. I was getting touch-ups every 5 weeks for a while & my nape would mysteriously break off. I started making my stylist be much more careful with my nape when she relaxed it. Because it kept breaking it stayed short and basically my whole nape would get permed. My nape is thicker -still not right - but thicker & not breaking b/c I have been making sure that overlap is not occuring & now I also put conditioner on my nape to make sure it is not being overprocessed. Also, you will see that if you take care of your ends you don't need to get them trimmed nearly as much. Many people think hairdressers are evil :blush: b/c they tend to get scissor happy and basically cut too much. If you are getting trims too frequently you won't see any growth b/c its being cut off. It sounds like it may have been stress the time that the back broke from ear to ear & around the sides or possibly a relaxer not rinsed out well enough. My hair once fell out from stress - my edges all the way around my entire head & a part in the middle. Oh & SCurl and mango butter were life savers for me on my 1st stretch. Good luck!

tlstacy you make a very good point, My nape is an issue for me as well, and "My Beauty Supply Lady" told me that this is a common problem especially with people that to the salon to get their hair relaxed. Because if you pay close attention, when your sitting in those chairs with your head tilted back in the bowl, the hairdressers don't pay as much attention to the nape of you hair as they do to the top and the sides, which can lead to them not rinsing the relaxer out completely in that area and overprocessing. In my case I'm a self relaxer, and I always tend to start in the nape when I relax which is also leading to over processing of that area because that area is constantly being exposed the the relaxer for the longest time, time after time.

Thanks Summer!!!! I love your hair too. Its so pretty.

Hi Fiya can you tell me how that Dr. Miracle hot oil gro works is it like a hot oil treatment? I use the Queen Helene and that joint jacked my hair up, it left it feeling like straw even while it was wet.

29bnbe1.jpg
1/27/2008
o6wwe9.jpg
3/04/2008
2zj9uo7.jpg
3/04/2008
5d1ops.jpg
3/04/2008 ( I love the shine my hair has here)

These are my pics from February. I don't think i've gained length, but I did get some thickness on my ends. The first pic is right after a relaxer and the others I'm 5 weeks post. I'm pushing for 8, so we'll see.

REgimen Changes:
Cantu Shea Butter
Africa's Best Organics Carrot Oil.
Tea Tree Oil Shine( Contains Cones, but my hair likes them)
Queen Helene's Cholestorol
Isoplus Oil Sheen
Jilbere Shower Comb

Try and failed
Queen Helene's Hot Oil Treatment: It left my hair hard and brittle. I had to use a lot of conditioner to detangle it.

Stayed the same:
Dove Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner. I absolutely love Dove's products
Dr. Miracles Hot Gro Conditioner

Dang Girl!!! That SHINE you have there is to die for, did that come from the Tea Tree spray, I have some of that, but I find it makes my hair feel kind of heavy any tips, cause your hair is banging :grin:

I also added a Jilbere Shower Comb to my reg, and I really like it, at first I thought it would be to thick to use but it does a very good job with detangling with conditioner

Hi Fiya can you tell me how that Dr. Miracle hot oil gro works is it like a hot oil treatment? I use the Queen Helene and that joint jacked my hair up, it left it feeling like straw even while it was wet.

Actually, the Hot Gro is a pomade, sort of like a light Grease. THey do have this Intensive Heating oil that can be used as a Hot Oil after shampooing and as a regular oil for everyday use. I'm a big fan of Dr. Miracles. I love their products.

http://www.drmiracles.com/store/hm-heal-oil-pp.html
http://www.drmiracles.com/
And What Queen Helene product did you use?

Last edited:
Dang Girl!!! That SHINE you have there is to die for, did that come from the Tea Tree spray, I have some of that, but I find it makes my hair feel kind of heavy any tips, cause your hair is banging :grin:

I also added a Jilbere Shower Comb to my reg, and I really like it, at first I thought it would be to thick to use but it does a very good job with detangling with conditioner

Well, I'm going to say its due to a lot of things. Pre-pooing with EVOO is great. I have a lot of shine from that alone. I do spray the Tea Tree, but on that picture, I ised the Isoplus Light Conditioning Oil Sheen, which i am in love with. It can also be used as an oil since it is light, but it gives good shine.

As far as the tea tree oil, i have really dry hair, so i usually spray it on heavy. I would just try a couple light sprays 6-8 inches above my head and massage it in. That could help.

Actually, the Hot Gro is a pomade, sort of like a light Grease. THey do have this Intensive Heating oil that can be used as a Hot Oil after shampooing and as a regular oil for everyday use. I'm a big fan of Dr. Miracles. I love their products.

http://www.drmiracles.com/store/hm-heal-oil-pp.html
And What Queen Helene product did you use?

It was the Dual Action Ginseng and Tea Tree Hot oil treatment. The bottle says that it "helps condition the scalp as it controls brittleness, breakage and split ends". Funny cause it seemed to do the exact opposite for me. :lachen:

Hi ladies sorry I've been out for a couple of days, I haven't been feeling all that well. Okay I was a little discouraged after cutting my hair b/c of annoying split ends:wallbash: but yesterday I was able to put my hair into pigtails, I'll post pics tomorrow, their so cute.:yawn: Thank you FindingMe for all of your help. Before I put the pigtails, my hair was still lacking the moisture that it NEEDS but after the pigtails it feels a little more moisturized I'm working on it.

It was the Dual Action Ginseng and Tea Tree Hot oil treatment. The bottle says that it "helps condition the scalp as it controls brittleness, breakage and split ends". Funny cause it seemed to do the exact opposite for me. :lachen:

:lachen:I use nothing by Queen Helene but Cholesterol. I tried the Hot Oil treatment and I almost cursed,lol. I had to go behind it with lots, and i do mean lots of my conditioner. Never again. I'll just stick with the Cholesterol.

I think some of those products are good, but i don't have time to check them all out and see what is and isn't. A waste of time and money.

Being that I dont know how to multi quote or it just wont work for me all the ladies who are new to this thread can check page 79 for name list and if I didnt get to add ur name just let me know

:lachen:I use nothing by Queen Helene but Cholesterol. I tried the Hot Oil treatment and I almost cursed,lol. I had to go behind it with lots, and i do mean lots of my conditioner. Never again. I'll just stick with the Cholesterol.

I think some of those products are good, but i don't have time to check them all out and see what is and isn't. A waste of time and money.

That's the thing because I have so many things that I have tried that was just that, a waste of time and money and are just sitting in my cabinet.

ATTENTION LADIES

I know being that we have 2 threads it can be a little confusing where to post. To clear things up a lil bc I know a lot of ppl never read the first page of the thread. This is the original newbie thread. This is where you can join and post your starting pics and regimen. This is where you can get to know the other ladies and post questions and concerns...

The 2nd thread Newbie pt2 is for the ladies who are not really a newbie but still not a pro. Its the ladies who all started here in the original newbie thread. You can also find a list of who is apart of the newbie threat pt2 on page 1 of that thread.

this is just the start and after a while we will have ladies moving over to the other thread but this is still be the original as you see the ladies in pt2 still do post in this thread.

Another reason was we had ladies who wuld join then never come back and it was getting hard to figure out who were down with us and who was not so we figure everyone starts here and if you like it and we see where its working for you then pt2 is where you will be if you join and then realize this is not working for you then that would be fine too so its just to keep things simple...

I hope this clears things up a little...

Well, I'm going to say its due to a lot of things. Pre-pooing with EVOO is great. I have a lot of shine from that alone. I do spray the Tea Tree, but on that picture, I ised the Isoplus Light Conditioning Oil Sheen, which i am in love with. It can also be used as an oil since it is light, but it gives good shine.

As far as the tea tree oil, i have really dry hair, so i usually spray it on heavy. I would just try a couple light sprays 6-8 inches above my head and massage it in. That could help.

Ok, cool, I'm going to try that.

With the EVOO pre poo, how does that work.... you do it on dry hair, with that alone noting else, do you use heat with it and how long do you let it sit for?

That's the thing because I have so many things that I have tried that was just that, a waste of time and money and are just sitting in my cabinet.

Yep. I don't know if you're heard of the KISS regimen. It means Keep It Simple Sista. And thats what i'm trying to do. I think the more simple it is, the better it is. I try different things, but to an extent, because i've learned, everything isn't for everyone, so i take good time determining what I'm going to try. And also, expensive isn't always better either. So its really just a pick and choose. U won't always get the right thing, but you will come across something thats gold and your hair will love it.

Ok, cool, I'm going to try that.

With the EVOO pre poo, how does that work.... you do it on dry hair, with that alone noting else, do you use heat with it and how long do you let it sit for?

Well, the first time I used EVOO, i mixed it with Honey and Eggs. Then, once I started using my Cholesterol, I stopped the eggs because both have protein and too much protein isn't good for your hair.

And this past weekend, I just did EVOO alone. I apply it on dry hair and make sure i cover from roots to ends. I cover with a shower cap then I let it sit for over an hour. Some people sit under a dryer, but i didn't. And then i proceeded to a co wash and a deep condition.

Hi Ladies!

I am new here. Well, i have been reading the boards and finally decided to join so that I can jump in on some of the fun. I am not sure how to do this yet, i did post a pic with my hair up as my avatar.
Currently, i have a sew in, with the top portion out. Does anyone have any ideas for how to care for the hair underneath the sew in while i take care of the hair thats out on top?
Any help you can give me will greatly be appreciated....

l:hiya3: Ladies,
Here are my progress pics to date....I used a new mixture to wash /rinse my hair.... 1T baking soda/2 caps ACV/squirt of honey in 8 oz water...DC Silicon Mix/lacio lacio leave-in & coconut oil to seal...my hair was trimmed about 2 weeks ago.
1st pic 2/1/08...2nd pic 3/4/08

15xmsyd.jpg
3-4-08B.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks FindingMe, Your hair looked cute in the braid out. I think im going to have to try that one.
Also, I have an update I have decided to relax in the nest week or so. I wanted to stretch til May, but I am getting more breakage (long strands :nono:) so this stretch is going to have to come to an end. I have to say I am really scared. I feel like I never relaxed before, I only stretch for an extra 4 weeks :perplexed. So, I think I am going to so a protein treatment tomorrow. Has anyone used Aphogee Two Step Protein Treatment. Last time I used Aphogee Intensive Keratine Reconstructor. Do you think the 2 step is to harsh. TIA.

That 2 step is harsh, but it does stop breakage...fo sho. I'm just not sure about the 2 step and a relaxer combo. Does anyone know of how long Jassy should wait before she relaxes after doing the 2 step? Additional steps or things she should do to prepare for her relaxer after the 2 step? Other suggestions besides the 2 step?

Back