Newbies let get together and get results.. All r welcome

Well I've been reading this thread for a while and forgot to post my hair type.

I believe im about a 4a/b
I use heat all the time!
I rollerset rarely. Im happy I can identify the problems I know how to fix them but almost is in denial.

Im still here writing my regimen so I can stick to it. Can I post in the 2nd thread once I have my regimen up I feel like posting there is pointless if you dont have anything valuable to say. Since were supporting each other in this.

Okay y'all....I have to document my crazy week of haircare. Here goes:

Wednesday: Took out my sew in weave. Clarified with Suave Daily Clarifying poo and deep conditioned with NTM Triple Moisture Daily Moisturizer. Set my hair with Vigorol Mousse and Ampro Protein Gel and curled once dry (my hair is still short so I'm still a slave to heat for the moment). My hair is a crazy brown/green/ashy tone (I used to have blonde highlights and covered them with a black rinse; after clarifying the rinse is gone).

Thursday: Did a Demi-Permanent Color (Clairol Beautiful Color, I think...comes in bottles with a purple label). I added a red color and a black together to neutralize the green tone in my hair. It worked but my hair looked DRY as a bone! The result is in my avatar pic.

Friday: Took the night off from my hair but moisturized with NTM Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave In and sealed with a coconut, olive, jojoba and peppermint oil mix.

Saturday: I get the bright idea that my hair looks damaged and I just HAVE TO do a PROTEIN treatment. So I venture to the store to get an Aphogee 2 Step Treatment (:yep:Yes, the heavy duty, hard one). I shampooed with diluted Tresemme (I forget which formula) and put in the Treatment. Sat under a bonnet dryer (Yes, a bonnet) and proceeded to have my hair stick to the inside of the bonnet. After peeling the bonnet off, I then pulled out my Lazy Dazy (or whatever it's called) hard hooded dryer and finished drying the treatment. Rinsed the treatment out. Added the Aphogee Humectant Conditioner (which was a joke). I then proceeded to "Deep Condition" with the NTM Conditioner (it's good but not that good). After deep conditioning I went to set my hair as usual with the mousse and gel. My hair was like "NO MA'AM!!!":nono:. My hair was HARD AS A DAYUM BRICK and my new growth was like :hiya:!!! Somehow I managed to set my hair anyway and feel asleep under the dryer. The next morning my hair looked like a sheep's butt.

Sunday: I had no idea what to do, so moisturized, sealed and curled my hair for church. I was looking like Al Sharpton. Added some Boundless Tresses on Sunday night.

Monday: Went onto the board and researched what people said about the hard Aphogee Treatment. Many said that their hair didn't like it and that a deep conditioner like the ORS Replenishing Pak would help. So off to the store I went. I did the DC with ORS and it did help significantly. I only cowashed, didn't shampoo because I wanted to make sure that the conditioner penetrated my hair shaft. I set and styled as usual. I still looked like Al Sharpton but it's nothing a satin scarf couldn't handle.

So that's my last few days in a nutshell. Full of hits and misses (mostly misses). I learned that:
*Clarifying will turn my hair green.
*You shouldn't wear a bonnet when doing an Aphogee 2 Step Treatment.
*I am NOT an Aphogee gal.
*Don't do a protein treatment if you have ANY new growth.
*NTM Triple Moisture Daily Moisturizer is not a deep conditioner.
*Keep some ORS Replenishing Paks on hand at all times.

Thanks for listening!

Girl, you are to funny!! Al Sharpton! :lachen::lachen::lachen:Why did I bust out laughing.

Anyway, I'm no expert, but I think you need more moisture! After the alphogee treatment, you need to moisturize, moisturize, and moisturize. NTM is from what i understand a good moisturizer, but it still contains alcohol and silicones with are both drying agents. You gotta get more moisture in to soften you up.

Im in! I Bc'd almost a month ago and Im a 4a/4b. My regime is not set in stone but I try to make sure I get my protein/moisture balance right and use my growth aids too! I co wash regularly but thats gonna change now to washing at least once a week because Im terrifiedof MTG and MN buildup in my hair..

:yep:

Well I've been reading this thread for a while and forgot to post my hair type.

I believe im about a 4a/b
I use heat all the time!
I rollerset rarely. Im happy I can identify the problems I know how to fix them but almost is in denial.

Im still here writing my regimen so I can stick to it. Can I post in the 2nd thread once I have my regimen up I feel like posting there is pointless if you dont have anything valuable to say. Since were supporting each other in this.

I think once u have found ur products and post ur starting pics based on how u keep up with this thread we'll start adding ladies to the new thread. Its just so many ladies so their in and never comes back

Hey I am a newbie and I just came across this thread. May I get some support as well? I'm reading and trying to learn, but there are a lot of terms, trends, and products out there that these Sistahs have been using and are tried and true... but I think that it would help alot to not only work with the Vets of LHCF but having the newbies help eachother out as well... so can I be down? I'll post pics when I figure it out.

Welcome... We're happy 2 have you..

Hello everyone,
Sorry that I haven't posted anything in a week, I have been overwhelmed with school. Okay, I went out and purchased some new products, I am trying out Aubrey Organics Island Natruals Shampoo and its Conditioner and Aubrey Organics GBP Conditioner. I also purchased Sauve Clarifying Shampoo and Daily Clarifying Conditioner, this made my hair really soft after I used it. I also purchased IC Fantasia Olive leave-in and IC Fantasia styling gel with sparkle lites, because of these two products I was able to put my hair up, I had a small puff but that was still an accomplishment. Sorry did have a camera with me. I also got some biotin supplements, it may help with my hair growth goal. Now my next thing that I need is a GREAT MOISTURIZING LEAVE IN CONDITIONER. I'm still using the castor oil as my pre poo but I am going to mix it something, still searching searching for that something. I can't really tell what the castor oil is doing but I won't give up. And also THANK YOU to all the ladies especially those who are constantly giving advice to all THANX.

I am in! I actually joined back in Aug 07 after cutting my hair(shortest ever) I felt soooo lonely out here, would post and no one would reply. Thank You !

OK - Sorry it took me so long to post my regime & pics but school has been kicking my aXX. So, here it goes. I started around the beginning of January. Before I started, I rarely deep conditioned, I flat-ironed all of the time, blah blah blah - the list goes on. My hair was dry and constantly breaking. If you had seen the amount of hair on my floor you would think I did not have any on my head. Fortunately, I still have a head full. Anyways, I have been deep conditioning atleast twice a week - mainly different protein treatments Aphogee Reconstructor, Sizta2Sizta Halt Breakage Control, Elasta QP). I moisturize and seal my ends twice daily with with either Pantene Moisturizer, S2S Daily Moisturizer, Mango Butter, S2S Amazing Hair Oil, Carol's Daughter Hair Balm, or Carol's Daughter Elixir. Lots of products I know - I live in 2 places & dont like carrying things back & forth plus I have too many products - trying to get rid of some things. I also co-wash after working out maybe once or twice a week. My ends were trimmed right before I started. I just got a relaxer this weekend. I stretched 8 weeks - which is an eternity for me and I used mango butter & scurl to get me through. I have been wearing protective styles since January also - mainly an updo of some sort. I have seen a huge improvement in my hair - it is soft and easy to comb. My breakage has stopped but I barely comb or brush my hair. The protective styles have helped me to keep my hands out of my hair. OK - there you have it. Promise I will check in more. Pictures to come soon - I have ran out of time. Gotta go to class.

tlstacy, girl you sound like you have it all figured out!:yep: Let us know how it's going.

:grin:I just felt like talking about this... I thought about my hair how it was less than a two years ago. I couldn't live without direct heat, Relaxing every two months and flat ironing and curling every single day! My hair has come such a long way!!! Now, I go to the salon (only because I suck at rollersetting) and I am using no heat and I don't use heat at home AT ALL!!... WELL unless I am going out somewhere with my man and want to look extra sexy which is very seldom lol. But I am soo happy!!!!!
Is there anyone else that used to have the same thing?? Heat dependant hair?? Relaxing frequently??

Unfortunately, I'm still heat dependent because I still have a short do but it's growing! Even still, I only apply heat after I wash and set (no more than twice a week). I relax (texlax) about once every 6 weeks but when it gets longer I'll be able to stretch longer. Congrats on the new health of your hair! You have plenty to be happy about! :yep:

AAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!:lachen: You are killin' me over here with the Aphogee story. Whew! You are right :yep: Aphogee I think is too hard core unless you have some serious damage and your hair is breaking off. I used it back in the day for a treatment when i got my hair highlighted and the strands started to fall out. It stopped the breakage, but my hair was also hard as steel wool. I opted to take the steel wool strands over no strands. :ohwell:

I have as yet to find a good DC that counteracts that hardness. Even the 2 min reconstructor is hard on my hair and leaves it stiff. I can't wait until I use all this crap up! My hair doesn't get soft again until I do my moisture part of the regi with the OJON Restorative Treament later in the week.

Someone else mentioned the ORS replenishing packs to try. I might try that next time after the Aphogee. Although Aphogee has a green tea reconstructor spray that works really well in my hair. I just spray it on all over my hair (maybe 6 or 7 sprays total) when I do a rollerset and it seems to give my hair the protein I need to stiffen the curls up a bit without making my hair hard. I hate to throw the big bottle in the trash, though, bc the 2 step costs $20.00...whew...:perplexed

I agree, NG requires moisture to soften, not protein.:yep:

I guess you live and learn, huh? :drunk: I am...

GIRL, GIRL, GIRL...it was a MESS!!!:lachen: I will NEVER EVER put that in my hair again! My hair is still not right but the ORS Replenishing Pak worked WONDERS! I'm gonna buy a big bottle. I think that will be a staple for me.

I've been a member for a little over a year and I have learnt alot from these spectacular women. I haven't been applying what i've learnt on myself though which is sad on my part. So I would love to join this newbie group and start over! I'll just have to stay commited for once. I just have to start developing my regimen again.

Heres my first picture:
LCHFcopy.png

My hair does grow my problem is keeping the length. You can constantly see me with a comb in my hand picking at my naps. And if you look closely theres the enemy my brush! Im brushing now! ='( And my hair is thinning out. Im happy that I can at least Identify the problem

lhcfproducts.png

Im a huge product jammer as well here is about 40%
of the stuff I have... Im falling in love with the SoftSheen-Carson products (red bottles) They really give me salon results which I love!

:drunk: ANYWHO HAPPY GROWING.

Put down the brush and slowly back away....:lachen:

Hey I am a newbie and I just came across this thread. May I get some support as well? I'm reading and trying to learn, but there are a lot of terms, trends, and products out there that these Sistahs have been using and are tried and true... but I think that it would help alot to not only work with the Vets of LHCF but having the newbies help eachother out as well... so can I be down? I'll post pics when I figure it out.

MissTical your workout regimen is awesome! You eat well too...keep that up and your hair will be down your back (if it isn't already)!! Welcome! :yep:

I am in! I actually joined back in Aug 07 after cutting my hair(shortest ever) I felt soooo lonely out here, would post and no one would reply. Thank You !

You aren't alone! Yesterday, I posted a thread about this in the general discussion area and I got sooooo many good responses...the thread is called "I'M A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED..." Read through it when you get a chance. I got a lot of good advice, and I learned that there is a BIG support system out there and there's many reasons why you may not be getting responses. But just rest assured knowing that you aren't the only one who feels or has felt this way!:yep:

A Challenge just for Newbies?!

I am SO IN!!!! :yep:

it will be nice to have the support of both fellow newbies AND the vets too!

Hey!!:wave: I'm a newbie and I want to join you ladies..please add me to the challenge! It's nice to have a thread where we can all get together to get our grow on.

I'll post up my info on the other newbie thread.

Okay, hopefully I do this pic upload thing correctly. I apologize if they are ginormous or microscopic.

I'm a 4a/b natural, I'm pretty sure that I will be texlaxing very shortly. I did a BC about 14 months ago, I had about 1/2 in. of hair, now I'm around 7-8 in. Hmm...my regimen is pretty spotty a.k.a. I don't really have one. Last year I spent so much money on products and wigs, it's disgusting and I have yet to find '"staples". :sad:

I've tried everything on my hair for washing: baking soda washes, Ayurvedic teas , CON, co-washes
and DCing with ORS hair mayo, Aubrey Organics GPG or honeysuckle rose, Nexxus Humectress, Le kair, honey, EVOO, Elasta QP DPR.

I'm just really sick and tired of spending money on products that are just okay or just seem to all work the same. After using up all of the stuff that I have, I'm planning on sticking with the AO and ORS lines for protein conditioning, keeping Vatika and castor oil, and trying the Elucence shampoo/conditioner for moisture.

My pockets need simplicity :wallbash: (reading this and thinking of the myriad products that I haven't even listed is really making me sick to my belly)

IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_2050.jpg

Last edited:
Okay! Okay! I'm in. Better late than never. I am also doing the MN challenge too. So far, I don't have alot of growth from it. I will show my progress for that challenge soon.

GIRL, GIRL, GIRL...it was a MESS!!!:lachen: I will NEVER EVER put that in my hair again! My hair is still not right but the ORS Replenishing Pak worked WONDERS! I'm gonna buy a big bottle. I think that will be a staple for me.

some people do deep conditioners (moisturizing) after aphogee treatments.

Count me in though I have no idea about how I'm going to take care of my hair yet. I do know that I want to be natural and I want a low mantainance regime. My hair loves ORS products so I'll most likely stick with those products.

OK ladies....

All the newbies... this is ur chance to keep this thread going and to make it over to the new thread. The purpose of having this thread and the new one is to see who is really into this challenge and not just signing on saying your in and never coming back.

Based on how your are with this thread we will invite you to the other challenge with the 20 ladies who all started in this thread

Welcome all and feel free to post ask questions and keep bumping this thread

Duchesse, your hair is beautiful!!! It looks like you have been doing a good job taking care of it so far. I'm 4a/b natural too and I know it takes a lot of hardwork to take of your hair.

some people do deep conditioners (moisturizing) after aphogee treatments.

Protein treatments such as Aphogee are drying to the hair, so yes most people do and should follow with a moisturizing conditioner to bring moisture back into their hair.

Count me in though I have no idea about how I'm going to take care of my hair yet. I do know that I want to be natural and I want a low mantainance regime. My hair loves ORS products so I'll most likely stick with those products.

:welcome4:to our forum! The light is always on! There is a wealth of information on this site. As we all are new, we've kind of been helping each other and offering advise. There's a lot of love in this room. Love for each other and for hair:sneakyhug:.

If you have any questions, just jump in!

Back