Newbies let get together and get results.. All r welcome

Okay y'all....I have to document my crazy week of haircare. Here goes:

Wednesday: Took out my sew in weave. Clarified with Suave Daily Clarifying poo and deep conditioned with NTM Triple Moisture Daily Moisturizer. Set my hair with Vigorol Mousse and Ampro Protein Gel and curled once dry (my hair is still short so I'm still a slave to heat for the moment). My hair is a crazy brown/green/ashy tone (I used to have blonde highlights and covered them with a black rinse; after clarifying the rinse is gone).

Thursday: Did a Demi-Permanent Color (Clairol Beautiful Color, I think...comes in bottles with a purple label). I added a red color and a black together to neutralize the green tone in my hair. It worked but my hair looked DRY as a bone! The result is in my avatar pic.

Friday: Took the night off from my hair but moisturized with NTM Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave In and sealed with a coconut, olive, jojoba and peppermint oil mix.

Saturday: I get the bright idea that my hair looks damaged and I just HAVE TO do a PROTEIN treatment. So I venture to the store to get an Aphogee 2 Step Treatment (:yep:Yes, the heavy duty, hard one). I shampooed with diluted Tresemme (I forget which formula) and put in the Treatment. Sat under a bonnet dryer (Yes, a bonnet) and proceeded to have my hair stick to the inside of the bonnet. After peeling the bonnet off, I then pulled out my Lazy Dazy (or whatever it's called) hard hooded dryer and finished drying the treatment. Rinsed the treatment out. Added the Aphogee Humectant Conditioner (which was a joke). I then proceeded to "Deep Condition" with the NTM Conditioner (it's good but not that good). After deep conditioning I went to set my hair as usual with the mousse and gel. My hair was like "NO MA'AM!!!":nono:. My hair was HARD AS A DAYUM BRICK and my new growth was like :hiya:!!! Somehow I managed to set my hair anyway and feel asleep under the dryer. The next morning my hair looked like a sheep's butt.

Sunday: I had no idea what to do, so moisturized, sealed and curled my hair for church. I was looking like Al Sharpton. Added some Boundless Tresses on Sunday night.

Monday: Went onto the board and researched what people said about the hard Aphogee Treatment. Many said that their hair didn't like it and that a deep conditioner like the ORS Replenishing Pak would help. So off to the store I went. I did the DC with ORS and it did help significantly. I only cowashed, didn't shampoo because I wanted to make sure that the conditioner penetrated my hair shaft. I set and styled as usual. I still looked like Al Sharpton but it's nothing a satin scarf couldn't handle.

So that's my last few days in a nutshell. Full of hits and misses (mostly misses). I learned that:
*Clarifying will turn my hair green.
*You shouldn't wear a bonnet when doing an Aphogee 2 Step Treatment.
*I am NOT an Aphogee gal.
*Don't do a protein treatment if you have ANY new growth.
*NTM Triple Moisture Daily Moisturizer is not a deep conditioner.
*Keep some ORS Replenishing Paks on hand at all times.

Thanks for listening!

Hey Daephae,:hiya:
Have you considered using henna or indigo for color. The henna will give you reddish/brown coloring and the indigo will dye your hair black(permanently). The henna will also provide thickness and strength to your hair.
FYI- you will need to deep condition after the henna/indigo.There are lots of threads about henna/indigo.If you indigo you must use henna first for the indigo to adhere properly. This is what I use for color my hair .:hair:Check out mehandi.com or hennaforhair.com

CurlyPonytail2-18-08NTM.jpg

Last edited:

Wednesday: Took out my sew in weave. Clarified with Suave Daily Clarifying poo and deep conditioned with NTM Triple Moisture Daily Moisturizer. Set my hair with Vigorol Mousse and Ampro Protein Gel and curled once dry (my hair is still short so I'm still a slave to heat for the moment). My hair is a crazy brown/green/ashy tone (I used to have blonde highlights and covered them with a black rinse; after clarifying the rinse is gone).

Thursday: Did a Demi-Permanent Color (Clairol Beautiful Color, I think...comes in bottles with a purple label). I added a red color and a black together to neutralize the green tone in my hair. It worked but my hair looked DRY as a bone! The result is in my avatar pic.

Friday: Took the night off from my hair but moisturized with NTM Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave In and sealed with a coconut, olive, jojoba and peppermint oil mix.

Saturday: I get the bright idea that my hair looks damaged and I just HAVE TO do a PROTEIN treatment. So I venture to the store to get an Aphogee 2 Step Treatment (:yep:Yes, the heavy duty, hard one). I shampooed with diluted Tresemme (I forget which formula) and put in the Treatment. Sat under a bonnet dryer (Yes, a bonnet) and proceeded to have my hair stick to the inside of the bonnet. After peeling the bonnet off, I then pulled out my Lazy Dazy (or whatever it's called) hard hooded dryer and finished drying the treatment. Rinsed the treatment out. Added the Aphogee Humectant Conditioner (which was a joke). I then proceeded to "Deep Condition" with the NTM Conditioner (it's good but not that good). After deep conditioning I went to set my hair as usual with the mousse and gel. My hair was like "NO MA'AM!!!":nono:. My hair was HARD AS A DAYUM BRICK and my new growth was like :hiya:!!! Somehow I managed to set my hair anyway and feel asleep under the dryer. The next morning my hair looked like a sheep's butt.

Sunday: I had no idea what to do, so moisturized, sealed and curled my hair for church. I was looking like Al Sharpton. Added some Boundless Tresses on Sunday night.

Monday: Went onto the board and researched what people said about the hard Aphogee Treatment. Many said that their hair didn't like it and that a deep conditioner like the ORS Replenishing Pak would help. So off to the store I went. I did the DC with ORS and it did help significantly. I only cowashed, didn't shampoo because I wanted to make sure that the conditioner penetrated my hair shaft. I set and styled as usual. I still looked like Al Sharpton but it's nothing a satin scarf couldn't handle.

So that's my last few days in a nutshell. Full of hits and misses (mostly misses). I learned that:

Thanks for listening!

WOW!!! What a week!!! :blush: I guess this is a learning experience for all of us, and you definitely did some learning; its all about trial and error. I have heard mixed reactions to the Aphogee treatments, but its clearly a no- no for you :nono:

I am looking forward to trying these replenishing packs ASAP, I have heard nothing but good about them, and my hair needs all the moisture it can get! :look:
BTW, you know you had me crackin up at the parts I bolded ! :lachen:

WOW!!! What a week!!! :blush: I guess this is a learning experience for all of us, and you definitely did some learning; its all about trial and error. I have heard mixed reactions to the Aphogee treatments, but its clearly a no- no for you :nono:

I am looking forward to trying these replenishing packs ASAP, I have heard nothing but good about them, and my hair needs all the moisture it can get! :look:

Me, too....I cant wait to try BT.....on the look out errrryyyydayyy for the postman with my package!!!

I posted a seperate thread about this, but is there anyone who uses/ has used/ has an opinion on Miss Jessies products? I'm looking for something else 2 use in my hair when I do twistouts 2 keep my hair moist..Thanks :grin:

Hey Daephae,:hiya:
Have you considered using henna or indigo for color. The henna will give you reddish/brown coloring and the indigo will dye your hair black(permanently). The henna will also provide thickness and strength to your hair.
FYI- you will need to deep condition after the henna/indigo.There are lots of threads about henna/indigo.If you indigo you must use henna first for the indigo to adhere properly. This is what I use for color my hair .:hair:Check out mehandi.com or hennaforhair.com

Girl, your hair is sooo gorgeous! It's looking better! That NTM is working for you...I use it too. I plan on using Henna as soon as my hair grows out a little bit more. I'll PM you when I'm ready for some advise.

Hi ladies! I'm so sorry that I have been MIA lately. I wanted to check in because I'll be packing up my computer tonight and won't be online again until sometime over the weekend. I just got through skimming all of the pages in the thread and I must admit that if I would have been lurking all week, I would not have been wet bunning my hair! I've noticed a lot of breakage, particularly very short pieces, and I think it's because I've been bunning right after a wash. I've fallen off of my regimen hard. I haven't rollerset in weeks and for a moment I was becoming addicted to flat ironing. It was hard to stick with flat ironing only once a week. That where the wet buns come in. Whenever my flat iron look got ugly, I would co wash and bun. After I finish moving I'm going to go back to my original routine of rollersetting. I'm also trying hard to stick with my plan of stretching for 12 weeks. As for the questions:

We need a weekly question.....
  • If you could wake up with perfect hair what would it look like? BSL, shiny, lots of movement, and lots of body
  • How long do you think it will take you to reach dream hair? two years
  • What steps are you taking to get there? stretching relaxers and deep conditioning

Have a great week everyone!

Girl, I was laughing when I wrote it but that's really how it was!

Me, too....I cant wait to try BT.....on the look out errrryyyydayyy for the postman with my package!!!

Girl, I'm sooo hopeful that the BT will help me grow 6 inches in a month...LMAO...just kidding. But I'm so hard up, I even put it on my brows! :lachen:

Girl, your hair is sooo gorgeous! It's looking better! That NTM is working for you...I use it too. I plan on using Henna as soon as my hair grows out a little bit more. I'll PM you when I'm ready for some advise.
Thanks:wiggle::wiggle::wiggle:...NTM was on the Sistaslick link you sent to me last week....my hair was like:wow:I sho wuz thirsty LOL

OK - Sorry it took me so long to post my regime & pics but school has been kicking my aXX. So, here it goes. I started around the beginning of January. Before I started, I rarely deep conditioned, I flat-ironed all of the time, blah blah blah - the list goes on. My hair was dry and constantly breaking. If you had seen the amount of hair on my floor you would think I did not have any on my head. Fortunately, I still have a head full. Anyways, I have been deep conditioning atleast twice a week - mainly different protein treatments Aphogee Reconstructor, Sizta2Sizta Halt Breakage Control, Elasta QP). I moisturize and seal my ends twice daily with with either Pantene Moisturizer, S2S Daily Moisturizer, Mango Butter, S2S Amazing Hair Oil, Carol's Daughter Hair Balm, or Carol's Daughter Elixir. Lots of products I know - I live in 2 places & dont like carrying things back & forth plus I have too many products - trying to get rid of some things. I also co-wash after working out maybe once or twice a week. My ends were trimmed right before I started. I just got a relaxer this weekend. I stretched 8 weeks - which is an eternity for me and I used mango butter & scurl to get me through. I have been wearing protective styles since January also - mainly an updo of some sort. I have seen a huge improvement in my hair - it is soft and easy to comb. My breakage has stopped but I barely comb or brush my hair. The protective styles have helped me to keep my hands out of my hair. OK - there you have it. Promise I will check in more. Pictures to come soon - I have ran out of time. Gotta go to class.

Answers to Weekly Questions:
If you could wake up with perfect hair what would it look like? it would be nothing like mine! The kind that most malatto people have. That full, curly and long hair. I love that look!! But if it had to be my hair then it would be bra strap length, silky and straight where I can just put it in a ponytail and GO!!

How long do you think it will take you to reach dream hair? I really don't know but if it keeps going how it is right now then I will be there within 6 months.
What steps are you taking to get there? DC, using the right products such as Elasta QP Mango Butter, ORS Carrot Oil and as a Sealer Coconut Oil and I stopped using direct heat on my hair.

:grin:I just felt like talking about this... I thought about my hair how it was less than a two years ago. I couldn't live without direct heat, Relaxing every two months and flat ironing and curling every single day! My hair has come such a long way!!! Now, I go to the salon (only because I suck at rollersetting) and I am using no heat and I don't use heat at home AT ALL!!... WELL unless I am going out somewhere with my man and want to look extra sexy which is very seldom lol. But I am soo happy!!!!!
Is there anyone else that used to have the same thing?? Heat dependant hair?? Relaxing frequently??

Girl, I'm sooo hopeful that the BT will help me grow 6 inches in a month...LMAO...just kidding. But I'm so hard up, I even put it on my brows! :lachen:

Me too!!! I just tracked down my package at the Post Office and stood in line for what seemed like forever:ohwell:!!!! but I had to have it! made my little one late for karate but she knew what mommy was on the hunt for...mooooorrreeee haaaaiiiirrrrr ppppprrrrroooooddduuucccttttssss....yes she was so extra! LOL:lachen:. I got my hair braided today and we will see how the BT does on the growth. Off to apply!! :grin:

:grin:I just felt like talking about this... I thought about my hair how it was less than a two years ago. I couldn't live without direct heat, Relaxing every two months and flat ironing and curling every single day! My hair has come such a long way!!! Now, I go to the salon (only because I suck at rollersetting) and I am using no heat and I don't use heat at home AT ALL!!... WELL unless I am going out somewhere with my man and want to look extra sexy which is very seldom lol. But I am soo happy!!!!!
Is there anyone else that used to have the same thing?? Heat dependant hair?? Relaxing frequently??

Your hair looks really healthy:kewlpics:... have you tried ponytail rollersets...if you are interested Pokahontas has "how to" pics in her fotki.
Happy Hair growing!!!

:urock:Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I really appreciate that you thought about how tough it is to keep up with this thread. Thank you for thinking of my needs. I am also grateful to you for showing some tough love! Requiring answers from questions and participation from everyone keeps everybody on tract. I not only get questions that I asked answered but I am also contributing to the thread! I know that if we all share our experiences and advice that we will continue to grow and learn from not only our mistakes but those of others as well. This is the first step to wonderful, healthy hair for all of us. Again I applaud you and thank you, Pretty!

Thanx Ms. AmerAKA and even thou I dont think we're all working together bc sometimes I suggest things and its like I never said anything. I hope I was atleast able to slow things down alittle for you ladies who are in school or just really busy at work.

Thanx Ms. AmerAKA and even thou I dont think we're all working together bc sometimes I suggest things and its like I never said anything. I hope I was atleast able to slow things down alittle for you ladies who are in school or just really busy at work.

:hiya:pr3tty! Have you thought about having a few different newbie threads? Maybe one for regimens, one for product discussions, one for the question of the week, etc.? It may help with organization...that way the responses and discussions would be more cohesive. It's seriously hard keeping up with this thread! It's grown and grown and grown....

:hiya:pr3tty! Have you thought about having a few different newbie threads? Maybe one for regimens, one for product discussions, one for the question of the week, etc.? It may help with organization...that way the responses and discussions would be more cohesive. It's seriously hard keeping up with this thread! It's grown and grown and grown....

I agree... that would be a good idea because it is very hard to keep up with it. I feel like I have to be logged on 24/7 just to keep up with it.

I thought about that and even spoke to some of the vets about it. Their advise was that when you have 2 many threads they get lost and ppl r not able to keep up. Im still trying to see if this will work and a lot of the ladies are asking that by march 1st we do a new thread with the ppl who keeps up with the thread. A lot of the pages are ppl jus saying their in and never coming back. So we're working on it. Im jus gonna miss this thread and thats why its so hard to leave it bc this is where we started as a lil fam.:yep:

So I think I came up with something while typing before. I am ging to make a list of about 10-20 of us or the ladies that keeps up with this thread and start a private parts 2 of this one. In the future anyone who is new and would like to join us will have to post in this thread and we'll think it we can take on anyone else. That way we wont have to leave this thread behind and we'll still have one just for us...

What do you Ladies think?

So I think I came up with something while typing before. I am ging to make a list of about 10-20 of us or the ladies that keeps up with this thread and start a private parts 2 of this one. In the future anyone who is new and would like to join us will have to post in this thread and we'll think it we can take on anyone else. That way we wont have to leave this thread behind and we'll still have one just for us...

What do you Ladies think?

Sounds like a good idea

Answers to Weekly Questions:
If you could wake up with perfect hair what would it look like? it would be nothing like mine! The kind that most malatto people have. That full, curly and long hair. I love that look!! But if it had to be my hair then it would be bra strap length, silky and straight where I can just put it in a ponytail and GO!!
How long do you think it will take you to reach dream hair? I really don't know but if it keeps going how it is right now then I will be there within 6 months.
What steps are you taking to get there? DC, using the right products such as Elasta QP Mango Butter, ORS Carrot Oil and as a Sealer Coconut Oil and I stopped using direct heat on my hair.

If I could wake up with perfect hair... It would be a thick apl/bsl. All I would have to do is roller set and go.

I am praying to be a healthy APL by the end of this year.

I am trying everything under the sun to get there. Right now I am in that trial and error stage of trying to figure out what my hair likes. So far I know that I have to co-wash with working out. I DC once to twice a week and I use a special mix of mtg, sulfur 8, mn, tea tree oil, evoo, and something else. I moisturize with S Curl but I need something better than that. I know my hair gets really wet with S Curl.

Ladies I made the new thread... Its called Newbie Challenge 08 P2.. It has 20 ladies and If your name is not there plz dont get upset I may have missed u or you joined late and didnt have ur regimen or pic up ....

If anyone would like to be in this new thread thats not on the list plzz post here and we'll go from there

I hope this helps ladies and see you there

Last edited:

Thanks for listening!

AAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!:lachen: You are killin' me over here with the Aphogee story. Whew! You are right :yep: Aphogee I think is too hard core unless you have some serious damage and your hair is breaking off. I used it back in the day for a treatment when i got my hair highlighted and the strands started to fall out. It stopped the breakage, but my hair was also hard as steel wool. I opted to take the steel wool strands over no strands. :ohwell:

I have as yet to find a good DC that counteracts that hardness. Even the 2 min reconstructor is hard on my hair and leaves it stiff. I can't wait until I use all this crap up! My hair doesn't get soft again until I do my moisture part of the regi with the OJON Restorative Treament later in the week.

Someone else mentioned the ORS replenishing packs to try. I might try that next time after the Aphogee. Although Aphogee has a green tea reconstructor spray that works really well in my hair. I just spray it on all over my hair (maybe 6 or 7 sprays total) when I do a rollerset and it seems to give my hair the protein I need to stiffen the curls up a bit without making my hair hard. I hate to throw the big bottle in the trash, though, bc the 2 step costs $20.00...whew...:perplexed

I agree, NG requires moisture to soften, not protein.:yep:

I guess you live and learn, huh? :drunk: I am...

I've been a member for a little over a year and I have learnt alot from these spectacular women. I haven't been applying what i've learnt on myself though which is sad on my part. So I would love to join this newbie group and start over! I'll just have to stay commited for once. I just have to start developing my regimen again.

Heres my first picture:
LCHFcopy.png

My hair does grow my problem is keeping the length. You can constantly see me with a comb in my hand picking at my naps. And if you look closely theres the enemy my brush! Im brushing now! ='( And my hair is thinning out. Im happy that I can at least Identify the problem

lhcfproducts.png

Im a huge product jammer as well here is about 40%
of the stuff I have... Im falling in love with the SoftSheen-Carson products (red bottles) They really give me salon results which I love!

:drunk: ANYWHO HAPPY GROWING.

I've been a member for a little over a year and I have learnt alot from these spectacular women. I haven't been applying what i've learnt on myself though which is sad on my part. So I would love to join this newbie group and start over! I'll just have to stay commited for once. I just have to start developing my regimen again.

Heres my first picture:
LCHFcopy.png

My hair does grow my problem is keeping the length. You can constantly see me with a comb in my hand picking at my naps. And if you look closely theres the enemy my brush! Im brushing now! ='( And my hair is thinning out. Im happy that I can at least Identify the problem

lhcfproducts.png

Im a huge product jammer as well here is about 40%
of the stuff I have... Im falling in love with the SoftSheen-Carson products (red bottles) They really give me salon results which I love!

:drunk: ANYWHO HAPPY GROWING.

Welcome and thanx 4 posting..

Hey I am a newbie and I just came across this thread. May I get some support as well? I'm reading and trying to learn, but there are a lot of terms, trends, and products out there that these Sistahs have been using and are tried and true... but I think that it would help alot to not only work with the Vets of LHCF but having the newbies help eachother out as well... so can I be down? I'll post pics when I figure it out.

Back