Newbies let get together and get results.. All r welcome

OK, ladies, I think my hair is addicted to KUZ....... Hi my name is Nona, and my hair is a KUZ addict :lachen:

Well as I said in my earlier post, today I wanted to focus on moisture treatments because my hair was feeling a bit dry. I DC'd with moisture, shampooed with moisture, did a general conditioner with another moisture conditioner by Salerem - Deep Impact Mascarilla Tratamiento (decided not to do the JoJoba hot oil treatment), when I rinsed my hair felt like guitar strings. I was like straw, I proceeded to put in all my leave in conditioners and still nothing. Does anyone have an idea what happened?

Well I got a little upset, cause I knew I could no roll my hair like this, there would be too much breakage :wallbash:. I went and grabbed my KUZ shampoo and conditioner and went to work, I didn't let the conditioner sit, it was more of a conditioner rinse. I swear.....no lie....when I put that shampoo on my hair, I heard a sigh of relief. :lick: My hair immediately lapped that stuff up, it got soft and silky without a second thought.

I'm under the dryer now so I don't know what the end result will be, but I know my hair laughed hard at that moisture routine I thought I was going to put it through today, and said "GIMME my KUZ" .

I read a thread today about Dove's Intense Moisture conditioner, so I think I'm going to pick sum up, and on my next wash day, I'm going to use that as my DC, and stick with my KUZ as my shampoo and conditioner.

Last edited:
I did my weekly wash and DC today but I tried something different. I read someone say that the DC their hair for 15 minutes, then apply more conditioner to the ends and line of demarcation, sit under the dryer for 15 more minutes, then apply DC to ends and line of demarcation, and sit under the dryer for an additional 15 minutes. This is suppose to help the DC penetrate your hair more (I think). so I tried it today. I also read rinsing your hair with cold water helps to close the hair shaft (or something). So after rinsing out my DC I did one last rinse with cold water. I think it worked well. I will continue this for a while to see if my hair responds.

Does anyone in this challenge use Queen Helene's Hot Oil Treatment? I tried it this weekend and i'm having mixed feelings on it. What are your thoughts for those who use it?

I did my weekly wash and DC today but I tried something different. I read someone say that the DC their hair for 15 minutes, then apply more conditioner to the ends and line of demarcation, sit under the dryer for 15 more minutes, then apply DC to ends and line of demarcation, and sit under the dryer for an additional 15 minutes. This is suppose to help the DC penetrate your hair more (I think). so I tried it today. I also read rinsing your hair with cold water helps to close the hair shaft (or something). So after rinsing out my DC I did one last rinse with cold water. I think it worked well. I will continue this for a while to see if my hair responds.

I may try this I read it on...????....cant think of her name but her hair is growing great! I tried the steam towel method that she talks about and it was the bomb.....may add this one toooooo.....

After taking my weave out along with some hair :wallbash: I am still perplexed about what to do with my hair :spinning:, I think I am going back to the daily cowashing with 2 or 3 weekly deep conditions 1 being a light protien. I am re-working a regimen cause I am not doing the weave thing again unless I go to the salon.:nono:

I read the crown and glory method for braiding http://www.growafrohairlong.com/ and I could do the the daily cowashing....we will see...I am talking with a woman that may be doing my braids if I cant do it myself...i am going to try the DIY first.....wish me luck!!

That's how I feel too! The thread has grown so much that if I miss a day or two I can't keep up. Also, I get a little lost because I would love to see more naturals posting their regimens so I can finally get an idea to fine tune mine. Most of the regimens are posted by relaxed heads which teaches me so much too!!

I'm with both of you; I'm very natural. I am having a very very hard time understanding my hair; what it likes and what it doesn't like because I am so new to hair care and have nothing to compare it to. I have had braids for over a year now and before the braids I always had a relaxer, so I don't know what is to be expected for natural hair, and what is not working.... Friday night I spent some one- on- one time with my hair :ohwell:...

(I don't have the products in front of me, so I'm going by memory)

Pre poo: Motions moisturizing co and Olive Oil for 20 minutes
Shampoo: Keracare hydrating shampoo 1X
Co: keracare humecto under dryer for 15 minutes
ACV rinse
ApHogee leave in cond
Moisturize with Elasta QP Mango Butter
Twist hair with Fantasia IC Olive Oil styling Gel
Dryer for 20 minutes.
Untwist!

(The things in bold are new for me)

Since I don't have a Fotki yet (gotta work on that ASAP :yep:) , I will just put a few pics up here of the process...

My hair was very very soft and easy to do and I attribute that to the extra conditioning. I do have a lot of little tight curls all over my house; it seemed like everywhere I walked I left a trail of kinks behind :spinning:. So I am a bit concerned about losing that much hair.... I really see the value of having a hair journal so that I can compare my reactions to each wash. From what I can remember :nono:, the last time I washed my hair, it was pretty dry and a bit more challenging to twist.

I must say, I enjoy having my hair like this :grin:. I know its protective, because it requires minimal manipulation, and I think it looks (suprisingly) cute! In the morning I carefully moisturize with Mango Butter and then seal with Olive Oil spray (hope I'm doing this right!)

Attachments

• 12.13.07 011.jpg
    12.13.07 011.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 12.13.07 013.jpg
    12.13.07 013.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.15 twists.jpg
    2.15 twists.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
After taking my weave out along with some hair :wallbash: I am still perplexed about what to do with my hair :spinning:, I think I am going back to the daily cowashing with 2 or 3 weekly deep conditions 1 being a light protien. I am re-working a regimen cause I am not doing the weave thing again unless I go to the salon.:nono:

I read the crown and glory method for braiding http://www.growafrohairlong.com/ and I could do the the daily cowashing....we will see...I am talking with a woman that may be doing my braids if I cant do it myself...i am going to try the DIY first.....wish me luck!!

I had braids for a long time and nothing is worse than cutting a braid too short and realizing that half of your length is still in that braid on the floor :nono:

You said you were going to go back to daily co-washes and DC 2-3 times a week, so I am assuming you did it before and it worked well for you. I was wondering if that is too much DC? Is it possible to DC too much, or is that something that ones hair can never get enough of?

I'm with both of you; I'm very natural. I am having a very very hard time understanding my hair; what it likes and what it doesn't like because I am so new to hair care and have nothing to compare it to. I have had braids for over a year now and before the braids I always had a relaxer, so I don't know what is to be expected for natural hair, and what is not working.... Friday night I spent some one- on- one time with my hair :ohwell:...

(I don't have the products in front of me, so I'm going by memory)

Pre poo: Motions moisturizing co and Olive Oil for 20 minutes
Shampoo: Keracare hydrating shampoo 1X
Co: keracare humecto under dryer for 15 minutes
ACV rinse
Moisturize with Elasta QP Mango Butter
Twist hair with Fantasia IC Olive Oil styling Gel
Dryer for 20 minutes.
Untwist!

(The things in bold are new for me)

Since I don't have a Fotki yet (gotta work on that ASAP :yep:) , I will just put a few pics up here of the process...

My hair was very very soft and easy to do and I attribute that to the extra conditioning. I do have a lot of little tight curls all over my house; it seemed like everywhere I walked I left a trail of kinks behind :spinning:. So I am a bit concerned about losing that much hair.... I really see the value of having a hair journal so that I can compare my reactions to each wash. From what I can remember :nono:, the last time I washed my hair, it was pretty dry and a bit more challenging to twist.

I must say, I enjoy having my hair like this :grin:. I know its protective, because it requires minimal manipulation, and I think it looks (suprisingly) cute! In the morning I carefully moisturize with Mango Butter and then seal with Olive Oil spray (hope I'm doing this right!)

ur hair looks very nice n the sheen I like the way it turned out all together

Hi Ladies!

I've been trying to find what works for me concerning breakage (it's driving me crazy!:ohwell:). If anyone else is dealing with this, perhaps this can help:

--I co-washed with a moisturizing conditioner
--gently towel-dried my hair
--sprayed some African Pride leave-in hair spray (very good detangler and moisturizer IMO)
--I FINGER COMBED my hair instead of using my wide tooth comb, adding NTM and Oyin's Burnt Sugar Pomade (since this has natural oils in it, I didn't feel the need to use extra oil to seal)
--I actually remembered to use my BT
--I gently put my hair in an updo

After I was done, I only noticed one or two hairs on the bathroom counter and absolutely NO hairs on my shoulders. I'm going to keep doing this.

Hi Ladies!

I've been trying to find what works for me concerning breakage (it's driving me crazy!:ohwell:). If anyone else is dealing with this, perhaps this can help:

--sprayed some African Pride leave-in hair spray (very good detangler and moisturizer IMO)
--I FINGER COMBED my hair instead of using my wide tooth comb, adding NTM and Oyin's Burnt Sugar Pomade (since this has natural oils in it, I didn't feel the need to use extra oil to seal)

After I was done, I only noticed one or two hairs on the bathroom counter and absolutely NO hairs on my shoulders. I'm going to keep doing this.

How is BT working 4 u? Im thinking of getting it but I have soo many things that I'm trying I just dont want to spent anymore unless its a must have

Hi Natural ladies! I'm glad to see it's a few sprinkles posting. I need help with my regimen too! Lately I've been doing the following and my hair never seems like it's getting enough moisture:

This is what I do 2x's per week

Pre-poo w/EVOO & Honey overnight. I think it's working okay, but I think it could be better

Co-Wash & DC with Nexxus Humectus. I don't think this is enough moisture for my hair but it's what I have. BTW I dc for 1 hour under dryer.

Gently finger and shampoo comb my hair and moisturize with Kids Organic Moisturizer and Detangler, Carefree Curl Gold and seal with Castor Oil. The KOMD is okay, but again...what I have. I tried using Glycerin and water, but I think I used to much and my hair started breaking like crazy.

I gently brain my hair into about 6 box braids.

I've been wearing wigs and falls lately so, my hair sees no heat.

The main problem is that my hair will not get soft and moist!! Sometimes it feels like wire near my roots. Any advise is welcome. Please help a sista out!!

Ivy

I had braids for a long time and nothing is worse than cutting a braid too short and realizing that half of your length is still in that braid on the floor :nono:

You said you were going to go back to daily co-washes and DC 2-3 times a week, so I am assuming you did it before and it worked well for you. I was wondering if that is too much DC? Is it possible to DC too much, or is that something that ones hair can never get enough of?

I know the hair cutting is the worst :wallbash:, but I am going to be real careful and be sure that the stylist understands my concerns.

Yes, in early January when I started to be serious about hair care I co-washed everyday with Suave Humectant, air dried a bit oiled my scalp with MTG (now I am going to use MN mix) and braided one braid and sealed the ends with Cantu Shea butter, tied on my scarf and went to bed. I noticed thickening and some growth in three weeks. I am just at the point where the wigs are not for me and the weaves will be hard to maintain with this regimen so braids are a good alternative. After the first two months I will access the good vs the bad and decide whats next.

Hi Natural ladies! I'm glad to see it's a few sprinkles posting. I need help with my regimen too! Lately I've been doing the following and my hair never seems like it's getting enough moisture:

Pre-poo w/EVOO & Honey overnight. I think it's working okay, but I think it could be better

Co-Wash & DC with Nexxus Humectus. I don't think this is enough moisture for my hair but it's what I have. BTW I dc for 1 hour under dryer.

Gently finger and shampoo comb my hair and moisturize with Kids Organic Moisturizer and Detangler, Carefree Curl Gold and seal with Castor Oil. The KOMD is okay, but again...what I have. I tried using Glycerin and water, but I think I used to much and my hair started breaking like crazy.

The main problem is that my hair will not get soft and moist!! Sometimes it feels like wire near my roots. Any advise is welcome. Please help a sista out!!

Ivy

Hey Ivy, Girl this is the trial and error stage...we will all be Ms. Advice before long, what I like is the Cantu Shea butter, it has my hair feeling silky and soft. I use it on my damp ends and tuck the braid under. Are you covering your hair with something (silk or satin scarf) before you put on your hair pieces? I also bought the NTM, I like it for the most part but I am loving the Cantu Shea Butter. HTH. Good luck.

Hi Ladies,

Happy Sunday!....I wanted to say thanks for all for the warm welcomes, I really appreciate it. I feel like I belong here, on some of the other threads I felt a little out of my league/out of place.

Sitting here under the dryer now DCing. Of course I have to report that I changed up my reg this go round. When I washed my hair last Wednesday it wasn't really bangin the way it was the past couple of time, it felt a little dry and brittle, still had a decent shine but not as soft. Soooooo after reading around the forum and checking out "helathytextures" and reading some of Sistaslick's articles on dry hair I think what was happening was that I was over doing it on the protein. The KUZ products have wheat protein in them, and I was DCing with Cholesterol all twice a week for the past 2 weeks.

This time I went the moisture route I have a moisture reconstructor conditioner by "AtOne" and their moisture shampoo. So I DC'd with the reconstructor mixed with Nexus Humetress under the dryer for 1 hr. Will shampoo, and follow with a JoJoba Oil hot oil treatment for 30 min under the dryer Hope it makes a difference. I'll keep you posted

U I am having a similar problem this weekend. I did a protein prepoo on Friday wih ORS Hair Mayo, 1 egg & a tip of EVOO for an hour. After I shampoo'd, I did a DC with Keracare Humecto. My hair came out great in the end, but over the weekend, it just seem to be more dry and brittle, with an increasing amount of breakage. So, I'm taking a moisture route right now. I just did a CW and now I'm DC with ORS replenishing pak. Hope I see better results in the end....:rolleyes:

Lookie here ladies.....a hair chart to help of guage where we are in this growing.....

Attachments

• HairChart001-vi.jpg
    HairChart001-vi.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 15
Hi everyone, I'm also joining. I definitely need a lot of support and advice and I will share what I've learned so far from LHCF.
Products I use: Nexxus Emergencee, Humectress, ORS relaxer, CON shampoo, LeKair deep conditioner, Chi Silk, Redken Heat Glide
Aids: Multivitamin, Super B Complex (for overall health)
My future routine: I'm going to try to wash at least 2x/week; I have cornrows in and I'm going to keep them in until April. I want to deep condition weekly and do hot oil treatments.
Hair Type: I'm not definitely sure :drunk: I think 4b

My goals are to find products that work for me, and jump off the pj bandwagon.

HTH

How is BT working 4 u? Im thinking of getting it but I have soo many things that I'm trying I just dont want to spent anymore unless its a must have

It's been working great! :drunk: I especially like to use it when I'm wearing braids and sew-ins.

Ivy

EVOO and Honey sounds goood! Gotta try that! Do you ever try baggying? I've never done it, but it sounds like its a great way to keep you hair moisturized. Also, I have been using the Elasta QP Mango Butter, and so far I like it....

OK, ladies, I think my hair is addicted to KUZ....... Hi my name is Nona, and my hair is a KUZ addict :lachen:

Well as I said in my earlier post, today I wanted to focus on moisture treatments because my hair was feeling a bit dry. I DC'd with moisture, shampooed with moisture, did a general conditioner with another moisture conditioner by Salerem - Deep Impact Mascarilla Tratamiento (decided not to do the JoJoba hot oil treatment), when I rinsed my hair felt like guitar strings. I was like straw, I proceeded to put in all my leave in conditioners and still nothing. Does anyone have an idea what happened?

Well I got a little upset, cause I knew I could no roll my hair like this, there would be too much breakage :wallbash:. I went and grabbed my KUZ shampoo and conditioner and went to work, I didn't let the conditioner sit, it was more of a conditioner rinse. I swear.....no lie....when I put that shampoo on my hair, I heard a sigh of relief. :lick: My hair immediately lapped that stuff up, it got soft and silky without a second thought.

I'm under the dryer now so I don't know what the end result will be, but I know my hair laughed hard at that moisture routine I thought I was going to put it through today, and said "GIMME my KUZ" .

I read a thread today about Dove's Intense Moisture conditioner, so I think I'm going to pick sum up, and on my next wash day, I'm going to use that as my DC, and stick with my KUZ as my shampoo and conditioner.

I have never heard of KUZ. Where do you get it? Is it expensive?

Hi Ladies!

Be careful putting in an updo wet. I had a lot of breakage in my crown area from doing that, so I ended up having to cut long layers. They are growing out, but the hair there was really brittle and dry and not good. Once I statrted letting my hair dry first and then putting in an updo, the breakage stopped. It must have been putting stress on my hair or something bc my hair was heavier wet than dry...

Hi Ladies!

YES, I am so sick of seeing little hairs all over the bathroom floor and counter! Glad this worked out for you! What is BT?:look:

Hey Ivy, Girl this is the trial and error stage...we will all be Ms. Advice before long, what I like is the Cantu Shea butter, it has my hair feeling silky and soft. I use it on my damp ends and tuck the braid under. Are you covering your hair with something (silk or satin scarf) before you put on your hair pieces? I also bought the NTM, I like it for the most part but I am loving the Cantu Shea Butter. HTH. Good luck.

What's NTM?

So I think my hair is a little thicker now. Still thin but way better than b4. I'm also 9 weeks post so that may be helping. In the past I use to relax every 4 weeks :nono:

view.php

Back