Newbies let get together and get results.. All r welcome

I would go with a dusting...but that's just me b/c I absolutely hate getting my hair cut/trimmed (I only do that grudgingly) :rolleyes:

Ditto, bc I am trying to do better about trimming my hair. If the ends are bad, then yes, but if not and just uneven, I'd say dust :yep:(bc otherwise you get caught up like me and you've cut 1-2 inches off your hair...)

Moisturize before you seal!?! :perplexed I thought oil does moisturize? Well what would you use to moisturize and what would you use to seal?

I think it's only certain kinds. I think I read cocnut oil is absorbed into the hair, but most other kids just lay on top (like mineral oil, etc.) Those are ones you should avoid as they do more harm than good...

:thankyou: Any suggestions.

I will tell you what turned my ends around...OJON Restorative Treatment. (OJON needs to pay me, 'cause I'm like an infomercial.:lachen:)

It's like a nut butter that you scoop into your hand, melt with your hands (turns into an oil) and then apply as a nurturing treatment for your hair. I use it at least once a week as an overnight pre-poo. I like it bc they use mostly natural ingredients. The first time I put it on my hair, I could tell a difference. It just keeps getting better and better. Balanced with my protein part of my regi, it makes all the difference. I swear by it. It's so good, I am waiting to use up my Aphogee, so I can switch to their fortifying/protein-like treatment.

It's pricey and has a strong smell (which I actually like, earthy and spicy), but it's worth it to me. It has turned my dry straw ends into manageable tresses again! :yep: I buy mine at Ulta, but they also sell online at QVC.com. There is a sample kit that has the treatment, hydrating shampoo and conditioner, glossing mist and revitalizing spray that goes for like $45, but should last for a little bit.

This is a question that I've been asking myself when it is time for me to get a touch. I feel like everytime I get a relaxer and my stylist trim my ends, she is trimming off the equivalent length of my new growth and I am stuck at square one! :spinning:. I am trying to take very good care of my ends by moisturizing them every night with Elasta QP Mango Butter Moisturizing and then sealing them with coconut oil. I am considering telling my stylist to trim them every other relaxer (every 16 weeks). But, it all depends on how my ends are looking at that time. Let us know what you decided when you get your relaxer and Happy growing! :grin:

This is EXACTLY how I feel when I'm in the chair! I'm so paranoid and most times I feel like they're doing it purposely. I'm thinking about being daring and letting my stylist make the judgement call on how much to take off....hmm...that moment passed. Ah well....*goes to flip a coin*

I'll be sure to let everyone know how it turns out on Saturday :)

Happy V-day to all!!!!!! So nice to see others who have joined the challenge. :grin::grin:

i'm having such a problem. I'm trying to see how far between should i take comparision pics? i don't wanna take them all the time and think my hair isn't making progress. I don't know. :perplexed

:offrant:Some people are just sooo :wallbash: I'd been wearing a wig then a sew-in but last night I took the weave out....so this morning after a staff meeting (in front of numerous coworkers) this girl says, "UM. You just don't know what to do with your hair. You say you're gonna let it grow but you know you're gonna cut it." (All while she was wearing a dayum wig, she's a dry headed scuttlebutt underneath). I was like "...'scuse me? u talkin to me?:heated: I swear she's the devil. She's only seen me with short hair, never with hair flowing down my back...I'm even more determined now! People are so negative.

LOL...Dry Headed Scuttlebutt....LOL

:funny:
I know you wanted to:hardslap::whipped::kick:

but you would just be:deadhorse: this is the same ***** that will be CHEEZIN in your grill with all kinds of questions as soon as the length starts kicking in.....

I will tell you what turned my ends around...OJON Restorative Treatment. (OJON needs to pay me, 'cause I'm like an infomercial.:lachen:)

It's like a nut butter that you scoop into your hand, melt with your hands (turns into an oil) and then apply as a nurturing treatment for your hair. I use it at least once a week as an overnight pre-poo. I like it bc they use mostly natural ingredients. The first time I put it on my hair, I could tell a difference. It just keeps getting better and better. Balanced with my protein part of my regi, it makes all the difference. I swear by it. It's so good, I am waiting to use up my Aphogee, so I can switch to their fortifying/protein-like treatment.

It's pricey and has a strong smell (which I actually like, earthy and spicy), but it's worth it to me. It has turned my dry straw ends into manageable tresses again! :yep: I buy mine at Ulta, but they also sell online at QVC.com. There is a sample kit that has the treatment, hydrating shampoo and conditioner, glossing mist and revitalizing spray that goes for like $45, but should last for a little bit.

Thanks..I haven't heard of this one.

I think it's only certain kinds. I think I read cocnut oil is absorbed into the hair, but most other kids just lay on top (like mineral oil, etc.) Those are ones you should avoid as they do more harm than good...

I read from Cathy Howse's book that the only thing that moisturizes is water. So water-based products are moisturizers. To my understanding oils are too large to be absorbed into the hair and they prevent moisture from coming or going. I'm gonna have to read up on coconut oil to see if it moisturizes hair. I have some but I use it to seal.

I read from Cathy Howse's book that the only thing that moisturizes is water. So water-based products are moisturizers. To my understanding oils are too large to be absorbed into the hair and they prevent moisture from coming or going. I'm gonna have to read up on coconut oil to see if it moisturizes hair. I have some but I use it to seal.

Cool!~ Lemme know what you find :yep: out bc I use Vatika oil on my scalp, which is an enriched coconut oil product from India and it seems like my hair just soaks it right on up. But if it's sealing it, and not moisturizing my scalp like I thought, I don't want to use it the way I have been! :nono:

For my fellow newbies, macherieamour has a new link about regimen buidling on her blog. Check it out at:
http://healthytextures.typepad.com/my_journey_to_healthy_hai/2008/02/styling-regimen.html

Also, fiya'slovechild- I am taking my photo comparison shots when I relax, so that's about 8-9 weeks apart right now, but I take more in general and add to my FOTKI just for me...(different hair styles, something new I've tried, etc.) I figure 2 months + a relaxer should give me SOME kinda difference, :rolleyes: but if it doesn't I will change.

Okay. Thanks finding me. I need to start working on my Fotki page this weekend. And take some more pics because i have like 3:blush:. I think i'll take some while its still wet and then dry and wait a little while before i take some more. but thanks again. :grin:

Hi everyone! Can I join? I'm new and haven't had a chance to read all 40 pages, but hey - I wanna get results too:rosebud:. I guess I got some serious reading to do, huh?

LOL...Dry Headed Scuttlebutt....LOL

:funny:
I know you wanted to:hardslap::whipped::kick:

but you would just be:deadhorse: this is the same ***** that will be CHEEZIN in your grill with all kinds of questions as soon as the length starts kicking in.....

RIGHT!!!:lachen::lachen:

You would use a moisturizer like water based leave-ins (braid spray, elasta QP H-TWO, Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch, etc) or a thicker cream consistency moisturizer (like you would use with a shampoo) like Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Conditioner, KeraCare Humecto, Nexxus Botanoil, etc. Also keep in mind that some moisturizers are protein rich and some are not. You have to determine what your hair needs and when.

Sealants are oils. There are two types of oils. Carrier and essential.
Carrier oils are oils such as EVOO, castor oil, coconut oil, sweet almond, jojoba, etc. Essential oils are oils such as peppermint, rosemary, ylang ylang, tea tree, etc. You have to add essentials into carriers to "carry" the oil because essentials are too strong to use alone.
Thats about all I know. :sekret:If I said something incorrect, someone will correct me.

Here are sistaslick's published articles that helped me when I first started on the board. I'm definitely not an expert but they gave me a great understanding of the products and regimen building.

http://public.fotki.com/sistaslick/sistaslicks-healthy/

WOW, that was deep! Thanks so much for clearing that up!

I need some HELP! I got a touch-up last week and my hair is now breaking off:wallbash:! I went 9 weeks with out relaxing and my hair was looking soooo great!!:grin: It was looking healthy, shiny and full. Now,:nono: it looks thin, stingy and it's breaking. What should I do"?? after I got the relaxer I got a deep condtioner for 30 mins under the hooded dryer. I am thinking about getting a protein treatment. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it possible that my hair is breaking because I have chemical burns?

I need some HELP! I got a touch-up last week and my hair is now breaking off:wallbash:! I went 9 weeks with out relaxing and my hair was looking soooo great!!:grin: It was looking healthy, shiny and full. Now,:nono: it looks thin, stingy and it's breaking. What should I do"?? after I got the relaxer I got a deep condtioner for 30 mins under the hooded dryer. I am thinking about getting a protein treatment. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it possible that my hair is breaking because I have chemical burns?

I would guess you need a protein reconstructor/deep conditioning treatment but i'm not sure. I think you should post in the general discussion area...for this you need an expert opinion! Good luck girl...

I agree that you should post this question on the main threads to get some good advice. It does sound like you need a good protein treatment. :nono: ORS Hair Mayo works great for me when I start to experience breakage, following up with a good moisturizing conditioner. :yep: For your future relaxers, I suggest you also check out Machieramour's website for her tutorial on Preparing for a Relaxer, as a way to hopefully minimize chemical burns. www.healthytextures.com Best of luck to yah!

Here's a link to Sistaslick's article regarding relaxers. This might help.

Your Complete Guide to Safely Applying Chemical Relaxers (NEW!)
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/320975/guide_to_safely_applying_chemical_relaxers.html

So this weekend I tried a rollerset...BOOOOOOOOO!!!! It turned out crappy. Rollersetting my natural hair had it turning into a big, poofy, dry mess! I shampooed my hair with nexxus, moistruized with a nexxus humectress leave in, and then began rollersetting. I followed macherieamour's instructions on rollersetting, using a solution of diluted lottabody. They were great and really helpful, I just don't think my hair is cut out for rollersetting. :nono:

Welcome to all fellow Newbies who just joined this board!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully we all can inspire, encourage, and motivate one another!

So this weekend I tried a rollerset...BOOOOOOOOO!!!! It turned out crappy. Rollersetting my natural hair had it turning into a big, poofy, dry mess! I shampooed my hair with nexxus, moistruized with a nexxus humectress leave in, and then began rollersetting. I followed macherieamour's instructions on rollersetting, using a solution of diluted lottabody. They were great and really helpful, I just don't think my hair is cut out for rollersetting. :nono:

It takes most people several tries to get the desired effect. Keep trying it. At the very least, you'll have a curly fro...I'll be glad when my hair is long enough to roll!

:confused:Hey all!! I am having a dilemma....I dont know what to do with my hair,:freakout: I have done the wig thing:afro:...one month.....a sew-in:hair:....two weeks....now I am at the point where I dont know what to do....braids...kinky twists...another weave.....:spinning:....I am delirious trying to make a decision....I was enjoying the wigs but it was a mess keeping them from being so oily and my honey was looking like huh:crybaby:.....the sew in has been so greasy cause of my MN mix....What is a sista to do??????:help2:

:confused:Hey all!! I am having a dilemma....I dont know what to do with my hair,:freakout: I have done the wig thing:afro:...one month.....a sew-in:hair:....two weeks....now I am at the point where I dont know what to do....braids...kinky twists...another weave.....:spinning:....I am delirious trying to make a decision....I was enjoying the wigs but it was a mess keeping them from being so oily and my honey was looking like huh:crybaby:.....the sew in has been so greasy cause of my MN mix....What is a sista to do??????:help2:

More info please.:arrowright::arrowright::arrowright: Do you have any:pics:What is your hair type...length...:hair: etc ?

More info please.:arrowright::arrowright::arrowright: Do you have any:pics:What is your hair type...length...:hair: etc ?

I have relaxed 4b neck length hair, it is uneven in the top because of a bad Dominican blowout :wallbash:. I want to use protective styling but I dont know which one. I just took out the sew in and I wasnt as careful as I should have been and cut several pieces of my hair.. :wallbash:. I am going to have to go to the salon for a sew in....it was fun doing them myself..... but I can afford to loose any strands. :ohwell:

I have one issue that I think might hinder my progress. My crown, it keeps on breaking. I know there are a lot of threads which talk about people having the same problem. But my question is, has anyone on here have the same problem AND found a solution that helps retain length in the crown area?

Is babying the only thing? Keep adding moisture to it? protein treatment? Seal with oil all the time?

If I have to do trial and error, I think for the next 6 months (with all the other things that I'm doing) I'll be coating the hair in my crown area with Dove-nutri serum body lotion. It seems like the only thing so far that maintains the moisture level. I'll let you know what the results are in 6 months :yawn:.

Aww, no worry Pr3tty...there are lots of helpful and friendly newbies here ready to roll out the welcome mat for other newbies :yep:
I hope everything at work turns out OK, and happy Valentine's day as well.

thanx Galadriel... I really appreciate it and TGIF

I have relaxed 4b neck length hair, it is uneven in the top because of a bad Dominican blowout :wallbash:. I want to use protective styling but I dont know which one. I just took out the sew in and I wasnt as careful as I should have been and cut several pieces of my hair.. :wallbash:. I am going to have to go to the salon for a sew in....it was fun doing them myself..... but I can afford to loose any strands. :ohwell:

I have seen lots of members w/your type hair...starting where you are right now... achieve tremendous growth(BS & longer) w/ rollersets,bunning(even) flat ironing...perhaps you should take a look at their FOTKI's... find a hair twin or cuzzin and see what's working for them( I know I am always on the look out:sekret:)...

Check out these FOTKI's RA(sylver2).....JenniferMD....Anky..all have BEAUTIFUL HAIR(I think they are your hair type)...definitely take a look at the beginning pics...they are truly inspirational....Good luck & happy growing :peace::peace::peace:

Last edited:
Back