(Newbie) my hair pictures!!!

dominicana

Hi everyone!!

I posted some pictures for everyone to see. Mostly I need help with figuring out my hair type and any suggestions you guys have on moisturizing it. My hair is all natural, (last relaxer in march 2001), water beads up and rolls off it, it looks dry even though it's actually wet. You'll see what I mean when you look at the pictures. I hope this link works.

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid2683416

Thanks!!!!
Diana

welcome1.gif

Hi, and welcome to the board. I'm not good with the Hair type thing, I still can't figure out mine. But your hair looks very pretty...

What do you wash with?

Nice hair!
clap.gif
Big welcome to you!

You know, your wet hair does remind me of the hair of the lady of the Crown and Glory Technique. Someone once pointed out that hers looked dry (and unhealthy?) but I thought perhaps it was because it wasn't a deep dark color which might reflect light better and also because it wasn't straightened which also would give it more reflective properties. Seeing your hair after a press and then seeing it when wet makes me now sort of confirm that the hair of that lady of Crown and Glory may have appeared dry coz it didn't have any moisturizer in it. Plus relaxed hair does tend to be dryer.

I have seen water sit on top of Type 4 hair afro like you describe but your hair looks so straight...
confused.gif
Do you press your hair often? I know a lady who had long hair and who got it set with a curling iron at the salon all the time such that her hair behaved liked permed hair and didn't curl up tight like it used to. (The italicized part of that statement being her own testimony, since I didn't know her when she had it coily.)

So your hair type? Uhmmm...
scratchchin.gif
Although your hair is somewhat different from what I think 4A is like (I think 4A has S curls but not as tight or Z-shaped as 4B), I think I would put you in that category since A's have looser curls/waves than B's.
dork.gif

Hi Diana...Welcome to LHCF!
wave.gif

Gorgeous hair! As far as your hair type is concerned, when your is completely hair air dry do you have a lot of spiral looking curl? ...waves?.....combination of curls and wave?.... puffy with or with out curls?

Thank you for all the compliments!!! In the last few years I've learned to like my hair. My mom and sisters have what in DR is called good hair, I was the only one born with "bad" hair and so as a child I hated it. But now I'm trying to learn to work with it and I think I even it like it now. The length it is now is the longest it's ever been and I've started using protective hairstyles in hopes that my ends will stop splitting so much.
My goal is to have hair as long as Aaliyah's.
Thanks to everything I've learned while lurking these last few weeks I think it's possible.

Mindymouse:

I don't really have a hair regimen yet, I use whatever I have under my sink(the hair product collector) mostly shampoos that say dry or damaged. This weekend I started the no shampoo thing but, I think I'll switch and use shampoo once a month.

gvsugirl:

The flip is a consequence of putting my hair up in a french twist that day. Sometimes it's cute sometimes the flip is going off in weird directions.

To everyone how do you measure the length of your hair?? I have visions of laying my head on a table on having my roomie measur it to longest point.
smile.gif

ciao!!

spagirl:

when my hair air dries(I did it once just to see) my hair is a big puffy mess. I looked at one strand it is curly like a spiral, but I would swear that each individual hair on my head is mortal enemies with the others. They never curl in the same direction. At the top of my haed its wavy but the ends are curly. A friend of mine told me her daughter's hair used to do the same thing and the daughter started a no shampoo regimen and now she has beautiful well defined curls. So I thought I would try it out for six months! Also I'm taking vitamins and doing my best to keep the hair from drying out.

-D

Very pretty hair and good luck with growing it out long. You'll find alot of good advice here. Just curious on what vitamins you are taking?

[ QUOTE ]
spagirl:

when my hair air dries(I did it once just to see) my hair is a big puffy mess. I looked at one strand it is curly like a spiral, but I would swear that each individual hair on my head is mortal enemies with the others. They never curl in the same direction. At the top of my haed its wavy but the ends are curly. A friend of mine told me her daughter's hair used to do the same thing and the daughter started a no shampoo regimen and now she has beautiful well defined curls. So I thought I would try it out for six months! Also I'm taking vitamins and doing my best to keep the hair from drying out.

-D

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">
Since I wasn't able to view your dry hair I want to share this info. that I previously posted. Use this to get an ideal of what your hair type might be. To be based on non-relaxed air dry hair. Let me know if you need any further clarification. HTH!</font>

[ QUOTE ]
The is another site that might help add light to Andre's. It was previously posted by Pressncurl. It's from Quidad Curl Guide on page 5 under the heading of Curl Pattern and Textures.

What I learned from this guide is how to better relate to Andre's hair types based on their curl pattern definition:

Curl Pattern in Brief

<ul type="square"> Loose Curl Pattern (Type 2s) = 2 inches wide in diameter, less define curl, wave (When hair is not in ponytail, not brushed)
Curly Curl Pattern (Type 3s)= Curls fall into tendrils, 1 - 1 1/2 wide in diameter (When not in a ponytail, not brushed)
Kinky Curl Pattern (Type 4s) Tiny ringlets of 1 inch or less in diameter, when pulled back (brushed) you see "S" shape, a loose, reversed "S" like a "Z" or both. [/list]

The site has pictures with more detail descriptions.

This link is also now posted on "Hair Tips".

[/ QUOTE ]

The above quote was edited.

Very niiiice!
smile.gif
dominicana girl you make a sistah think about going natural!
scratchchin.gif
Flat irons work that well? wow!

Your hair looks lush, thick and healthy. Did you recently get a trim in your photos?

At any rate, what ever you are doing, keep doing it.
trampoline.gif

Back