NEW: Winter Bun Challenge (Dec 2009- Mar 2010)

First week down! Still looking for other bun variations but all in all, I'm loving this. My hair is already looking like it is thriving more. My ends look pretty good too. Will be bunning M-F and Pocahontas braids on the weekend.

I've been doing well with my buns lately, keeping my ends moisturized. I'm still loving my Good Day Hairpins cause they hold up the hair so well.

yes!!! i love hair pins for buns compared to another hair tie or bobby pins. they're easier to put in, take out, they hold my buns sooooo well, and zero stress on my hair!!!!

hair pins for the win ladies! lol

and i want to try those good hair day pins... i almost got them but sallys had a big ole box of old school granny hair pins that were the same price and the good hair day ones... and i had to do the old school ones cause it was 1lb of black hair pins vs like 8 good hairs... and the way i leave pins here and there... the 1lb box was the winner lmao

I have good hair day pins and can not figure out how to use them :look:. It's been a minute maybe I will try in the morning.

Still bunning here too. I will switch it up with phony ponies/buns to spice up my look and I've got tons of accessories lol. If I ever get rollersetting down I'd be able to better stretch my natural hair & experiment more. My hair is barely SL curly and I just recently learned how banding is beneficial to mt hair.

Hey just checking in ladies. I've been wet bunning and baggying 5 days a week with JBCO and I am now past APL:grin:
BUNNING and BAGGYING is the TRUTH!:yep:

Attachments

• 000_0049.jpg
    000_0049.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 25
I'm hangin' in there. I realized a couple of days ago that my bun was no longer comfortable... somehow I managed to pull it tighter than usual. Don't know why. :perplexed So today, I'm sporting a REALLY loose bun and I think I'll keep them loose like this for the duration of the challenge. It doesn't even feel like I'm wearing a bun and I'm lovin' it! :yep:

I tried a new but today that I am loving :yep:. It is a chines braided bun. It is really easy to do and it looks really cute from the back. Sorry, I don't have any pics but there are several tutorials on youtube if you are interested in seeing how it looks and learning how to do it.

I am really seeing the benefits of this challenge. I have been keeping my hair up even when I am in the house. But yesterday I decided to experiment with some new buns. I took my hair down to try the bun I am wearing today and I couldn't bring my self to put it back up. I just kept playing in it; it felt so soft :lick: :grin:. It is extremely cold and dry where I live but my hair (especially my ends) feel really soft and moisturized. Usually by this time in the winter I am struggling to keep just a hint of softness in my tresses.

So this is week two of bunning and I am LOVING IT!! Like Testimony777, I am definitely seeing the benefit of this challenge. I don't know when the last time my hair felt so amazing!

Like I said I'm tryingto come up with new bun styles. I saw that Cinna Bun and wanted to attempt it but not today. It looks kind of formal to me. Anyway, I do a variation of it. I put my hair up in a high pony then made about 4 sections. Twisted each one (not two strands) and then made a loop and pinned it. So far I love it!

Here's my starting pic
Wish me luck.

148pic.jpg

Im still bunning
Its a little hard to keep going and my mom thinks its ugly and says she tired of seeing my hair like that but ends are so think and lush i will definelty do this till march.
I think its cute since its cold and im lazy i dont have to do much except moisturize and seal so ...
Heres my everyday school bun![Well i end up wearing it everywhere anyway]

Attachments

• DSCF8238-1.jpg
    DSCF8238-1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 27
YouTubed this and I am sooooo going to attempt this! So gorgeous! Hope my hair is long enough, LOL!!

Isn't it cute? I really liked it, I got a lot of compliments today. If your hair isn't long enough to wrap all the way around the stick you can fake it by tucking the ends of the braids and pinning them. It looks cute either way :yep:.

wavezncurlz, hairzings have become my new best friend. I wear my hair like your's in the pic almost everyday. Sometimes I do a figure eight bun and secure it with the hairzing; cute and quick=)

For those of you who are experiencing wonderfully moisturized ends, do you attribute it to not having your ends out? The moisturizing/sealing? Or are you using the baggy method?

For those of you who are experiencing wonderfully moisturized ends, do you attribute it to not having your ends out? The moisturizing/sealing? Or are you using the baggy method?

I think it is a combination of not having my ends out and the moisturizing and sealing. I don't do the baggy thing so I can't speak to that.

Edited to say: The more I think about it I think it is mostly not having my ends out. Moisturizing and sealing have been regular parts of my reggie for a long time and I have never had these results in the winter.

Last edited:

Absolutely! I M/S regularly and have for the last year. But bunning makes a world of difference.

I think it is a combination of not having my ends out and the moisturizing and sealing. I don't do the baggy thing so I can't speak to that.

Edited to say: The more I think about it I think it is mostly not having my ends out. Moisturizing and sealing have been regular parts of my reggie for a long time and I have never had these results in the winter.

Okay, my ends aren't feeling any more moisturized than usual. :perplexed So now I must ask, what moisturizer/sealant are you using?

I'm wondering if it's my products... Bunners, what moisturizer/sealant are you using? Are you layering your products or just smoothing them on? Are you using gels?

This winter, I've been baggying nightly, bunning daily, and consistently moisturizing and sealing. Last winter, I moisturized and sealed daily, but my ends looked and felt a hot mess. For me, I'm going to say that it's a mixture of baggying and bunning...the baggying gives my hair moisture and tucking my ends away keeps them from losing it.

I baggy overnight with Qhemet Amla and Olive Heavy Cream, and in the morning, I take off my baggy, seal with a blend of Vatika Oil and Castor Oil, and bun my hair up. I leave it there until night, which is when I take it down, play with it a little, and then baggy it for the next day. hth.

Okay, my ends aren't feeling any more moisturized than usual. :perplexed So now I must ask, what moisturizer/sealant are you using?

To moisturize I use a home made spray that is a mix of water, vegetable glycerin and rosemary essential oil (one part glycerin to eight parts water and 2-3 drops of rosemary oil). I seal with coconut oil.

I'm wondering if it's my products... Bunners, what moisturizer/sealant are you using? Are you layering your products or just smoothing them on? Are you using gels?

after towel drying i spray my moisture/protein spritz, then i put on my leave in (which is actually a rinse out cond), then i seal with evoo.

when i do use gel, only on my edges, never on the ends (unless i'm wearing my hair down which is another story).

also, if my ends are feeling a tad on the dry side i put shea butter on them

Back