NEW: Winter Bun Challenge (Dec 2009- Mar 2010)

Going to start my bunning in the morning.

Question: Do you ladies take your buns down in the evening or do you leave them up and just touch them up in the morning?

I usually take mine down, moisturize, braid in 1, 2 or 5 braids (depends on my mood). However, I washed my hair last night, layered with moisturizers, braided, and made a kinda' loose bun this morning. I'm going to try and wear this same bun tomorrow (and longer if possible), without taking it down. I think I'm manipulating too much, so I'm attempting a different approach. We'll see...

Uve been bunning since April 2009, now I use my banana clip and tuck my ends in. I have less breakage this way and its easier to fix. Any of you ladies use banana clips?

I have this new obsession with banana clips. I need to build up my collection. I only have 3 right now.

Are ya'll talking about banana clips like the ones we used back in the day? :perplexed I can't imagine how quickly one of those would laugh at my natural hair! Please show a pic of your hair styled with one. I need a visual.

:yep:. I'm horrible at taking pics. But Mandy4610 has her hair in a banana clip in her avi or siggy I believe. Also if you go to Kimmaytube's channel on youtube and search banana clip she has 2 videos. These two are the reasons why I purchased 2 banana clips and realized I already owned one.

I took my bun down tonight, used some JBCO and put it in two looks buns for the night. I also purchased and octopus clip today to see how I can use it. Maybe tomorrow I will try it out.

Question for Natural 4a/b people.

Yes, I'm in too. But I have one question, what are you 4a/b naturals using to smooth your hair down? Gel is a no-go for me after the disaster I had with it. But maybe Aloe Vera Gel isn't as harsh.

I suppose if nothing else, I could use KCCC -but we all know, that's sticky.

I use aloe vera gel if I want mine smooth or just wet it and put on a scarf for a few minutes.

Question for Natural 4a/b people.

Yes, I'm in too. But I have one question, what are you 4a/b naturals using to smooth your hair down? Gel is a no-go for me after the disaster I had with it. But maybe Aloe Vera Gel isn't as harsh.

I suppose if nothing else, I could use KCCC -but we all know, that's sticky.

Hi Ladies!

Checking in....

I'm so excited. I was NEVER EVER a bunner. EVER...and thought they were weird. Anyway, I had made my "wrap fake hair around the donut" donut, which looks like a complete mess, but when my hair is pulled around it, not so much. So, I've been wearing it, and I'm getting more and more comfortable with buns. It actually looks good. I wore it for the first time for the New Years Eve party I went too, and got so many compliments.

Today, I'm wearing the same bun I wore yesteday, and it looks great (I would have taken pics, but I have suddenly misplaced my camera :ohwell:).

I did have one problem with ponytail making, and it was that when I pull my hair straight back after about 6 or 8 weeks post, my hair doesn't lay down well at the crown area at all. So, I usually always wear my ponytails with parts on the side and swoop on the other side. Anyway, I decided to do a center part so that I can sort of pull it straight back, and it works perfectly with the scarf method (and Redken Smooth Down Buttertreat), and I've had nice smooth ponytails.

So, for now, I'm doing well in the challenge. Thanks for all of your help.

:yep:. I'm horrible at taking pics. But Mandy4610 has her hair in a banana clip in her avi or siggy I believe. Also if you go to Kimmaytube's channel on youtube and search banana clip she has 2 videos. These two are the reasons why I purchased 2 banana clips and realized I already owned one.

Who woulda' thunk it? Thanks for sharing Shay. I'll see if I can dig one up from my old hair accessories stash. Seems like mine had glitter designs on it. :nono: I'm gonna have a huge problem if the clip is showing anyway. :ohwell:

I'm a bit late, but I'd love to join. I wear a lot of donut buns anyway to keep heat out of my hair & because I'm so busy as a working mom.

I'd like a 2-day-per-week pass of what amounts to a "weekend pass" but isn't limited to weekend days per se (i.e., any 2 days of the week - not just weekend days). On my 2-day-per-wk pass, I will still wear a low-maintenance style like a roller set. I generally roller set once a week & would like the 2-day pass so I won't feel like I wasted effort trying to get those curls. LOL.

I'd like to join too if its not too late. I just started wearing buns this year after finally getting banding my hair! What a difference. Now I can stretch my hair much more easily and wear low buns, high buns, etc. I need to learn how to do the donut bun.eta: My current length is in my avi & siggy and I have recent bun pics in my fotki.

Last edited:
Today was the second day of my bunning challenge! Loving it. And so is my daughter. Every chance she gets that little toddler is trying to tug at my hair ::sigh:: I'm thinking of trying the little "chop sticks" hair accessory tomorrow. We'll see.

Loving my wet buns STILL! :) I wrap my hair with a silk scarf before putting on my hat and heading out. B/c I spend only a few seconds outside, I haven't had any issues.

Not using the chopsticks. Figured they would be too fashionable with my casual going to the doctor outfit. Still in a bun though. Might google for some more bun ideas.

I thought this challenge was going to much harder than it is turning out to be. I have worn a bun almost everyday for about a month now and I am loving it :yep:. I have become a huge fan of hairzings and hair forks. I haven't gotten board because I have been playing with hair accessories :grin:.

Somebody asked about donut buns...I have a net bun I wrap my hair around and it's been fine. I got it from an upscale beauty supply here in L.A. I've been bunning since late November. I did my first co-wash this morning with Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner and then added my Mega-Tek, jojoba oil and coconut oil mix to my scalp and hair. I put castor oil on my ends.

i've been steady with the bunning ladies. my ends look great and my hair is growing! hope everyone else's hair is going just as well :D

Uve been bunning since April 2009, now I use my banana clip and tuck my ends in. I have less breakage this way and its easier to fix. Any of you ladies use banana clips?

This is a great idea! :grin: I went out and got one the other day and now I am using it for some of my buns. It is kind of hard to fit my hair in it though because my hair is not stretched or blown out. I still like the look though.

Hi Ladies,
Sorry I'm late :) But I made up my mind this morning on the train ride in to work :grin: to bun for the next few months a) because I need a break from all of my hair care, I almost strained my shoulder rollersetting my hair last week :wallbash: b) I need a easy protective style and c) I will be going to the gym hard for the next few months, probably through Memorial Day Weekend on my journey to loose another 20 - 25 pounds (down 12 so far! :grin:)

I will be starting to bun as of this weekend after I do my usual co-wash/rollerset/airdry. I primarily use phony pony's and fake buns, usually don't use elastics but instead moisturize the ends and pin it up. My hair goal for this year was to use all of the product that I have accumulated since being on LHCF, so I will be megateking and ovationing for the next 5 months with my bunning. Can't wait for the check ins!

MsMontoute,

I'm so with you. I started bunning this week and have decided to stick with it for at least 3 months. I developed tendinitis in my wrist, partially from twisting every week, so I had to find a new style. I was amazed my hair actually fit into a ponytail to do a bun, but it does :grin:!

So right now I've got it in a ponytail, then I twisted the ends around and bobby-pinned them to my hair to help the piece stay on, and put a plastic baggy over the bun. I have my little afro-puff pony on my hair and a scarf on the front, so my hair is totally unexposed!! And it takes so little time to do :yep:.

MsMontoute,

I'm so with you. I started bunning this week and have decided to stick with it for at least 3 months. I developed tendinitis in my wrist, partially from twisting every week, so I had to find a new style. I was amazed my hair actually fit into a ponytail to do a bun, but it does :grin:!

So right now I've got it in a ponytail, then I twisted the ends around and bobby-pinned them to my hair to help the piece stay on, and put a plastic baggy over the bun. I have my little afro-puff pony on my hair and a scarf on the front, so my hair is totally unexposed!! And it takes so little time to do :yep:.

Whew, thanks for co-signing..LOL It is definitely getting a little outrageous which is why I need to scale back on products and on regimen...This year will be all about keeping it simple...cowash, roll, airdry, mosturize, protective style with no more than 5-6 products (conditioner: co-wash/deep, leave-in, daily moisturizer, oil sealant) I told my BF that he needs to start giving me a hair budget so I can get it done and he laughed and said I will pay your LHCF subscription...:lachen:

Hi Ladies,

Checking in to let you know I'll be taking a week or two bunning hiatus because I got a relaxer touch up this weekend, and am wearing my hair down. But, I'll be back on the bandwagon soon enough.

Maybe one week, because I love the progress I've made and want to make more, but I just hate to wash after a fresh relaxer.

See you soon.

I am using my first passes since the challenge began for a 4 day break this week. I will re-bun on Thursday night.

Still bunning ladies and loving it :yep:. Today, I got my hair flat ironed and the ends dusted and as soon as I in the car in a bun it went:grin:.

Still bunning M-F. If I go anywhere on the weekends I do braidouts. If not, I just have my 4 big braids in.

Back