NEW: Winter Bun Challenge (Dec 2009- Mar 2010)

It is really cute...I think I understood how you described it, but it would be helpful if you had a few more pics. Can you share more? I'd like to try that too. Thanks.

Yes of course. My bad. I didn't think anyone would be interested.
Here are some pics I just took. I did this kinda fast and sloppy, sorry. You'll have to rebraid the braid every once in a while to smooth some of those hairs that stick out. But basically if you take good care of it the braid will last indefinitely. Use a clib big enough to hold the fake and your real hair comfortably. Too much stress on it will break it (I've gone through 3 clips already). Let me know if you have any questions.

Let me add some notes: The hair comes in a package folded in half, usually with a rubberband in the middle. I replace that rubberband with a strong covered elastic. I secure the end of the braid with a tiny rubber band. I slide the comb in the top of the braid.

I could only upload 5 pics but just keep wrapping the braid and then secure it with a bobby pin, barrette, etc. I've even gotten away with just tucking the end of it in and not securing it.

Attachments

• IMG_7239.JPG
    IMG_7239.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7245.jpg
    IMG_7245.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7248.jpg
    IMG_7248.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7255.jpg
    IMG_7255.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7256.jpg
    IMG_7256.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Another late add here! I'm bunning as part of the Get An Inch Every Month Challenge. I've been bunning for about 3 weeks now ever since I discovered I could pinch my hair into a little bunny tail and just tuck it into a scrunchie and have already seen results. I used to bun years ago when my hair was its healthiest without ever knowing it was a healthy hair care technique LOL.

thanks momoftrips.
ooh i love that people are posting different styles of bun. we can give each other ideas until the challenge is over.

Straigthen 2 days ago so Im back to my reverse french roll secured with a flewi 8 I did a double bun last week with a silk flower. I'll try to take pics this week and post.

Add me!! I know I'm late but I've been bunning all month, can't wait until the reveal in March!!

Current bun below...

Last edited:
Ok, so I tried wrapping fake hair around my donut and had a tangled mess. After redoing it, I settled w a messy looking thing. I tested it briefly and it looks like it will work (until it eventually unravels or knots up), so I'll try wearing it for real tomorrow.

LaidBack, I think this is the same kind of hair you used. Though every time I touch it, it gets tangled and uneven. I need to get little rubberbands and a claw, and maybe another pack of hair in case I destroy the one I have. Anyway, it's a really cute style. Thanks for sharing.

Ok, so I tried wrapping fake hair around my donut and had a tangled mess. After redoing it, I settled w a messy looking thing. I tested it briefly and it looks like it will work (until it eventually unravels or knots up), so I'll try wearing it for real tomorrow.

LaidBack, I think this is the same kind of hair you used. Though every time I touch it, it gets tangled and uneven. I need to get little rubberbands and a claw, and maybe another pack of hair in case I destroy the one I have. Anyway, it's a really cute style. Thanks for sharing.

Sure no problem. If you're gonna use that hair you must secure it in the middle with something and it must be TIGHT to avoid the tangles and the uneveness.

I withdraw from this challenge. I just discovered twisting my hair while it's dry. I'm in love, so that's how I've been wearing my hair consistently--twistouts on weekends and buns in between. Hang in there ladies!

I will be offline during January. I will continue bunning, and I'll give an update when I return in February. Good luck, ladies! :)

I thought i could but i cannot do bunning constantly I get bored easily and I am doing twists this weekend and will not be putting them up. Good luck to everyone with this challenge!

Is there some kind of technique very thick haired naturals use for wet bunning? I'm APL so my hair is long enough to bun but when it gets wet it shrinks up like crazy so I can barely gather it in my hands to even attempt a bun.

Is there some sort of product I could use to force my hair into a bun or a special technique?

hey is it too late to join? i have been bunning since november due to the weather and would love to join. please count me in if its not too late :grin:

Is there some kind of technique very thick haired naturals use for wet bunning? I'm APL so my hair is long enough to bun but when it gets wet it shrinks up like crazy so I can barely gather it in my hands to even attempt a bun.

Is there some sort of product I could use to force my hair into a bun or a special technique?

I find it helpful to put your hair in a bun while its wet. I usually smooth mine into one while still in the shower. :yep:

Going to start my bunning in the morning.

Question: Do you ladies take your buns down in the evening or do you leave them up and just touch them up in the morning?

i leave my bun up and touch it up in the AM as needed. The only thing i usually need is to smooth down my edges.

So sorry ladies, I have to duck out of this challenge...

I have decided to weave up my hair and us wigs this year as a protective style, bunning was breaking off my hair due to consatant tugging at weak strands everyday.

Once i get length will def go back!!

Question: Do you ladies take your buns down in the evening or do you leave them up and just touch them up in the morning?

I take mine down the minute I get in the house. I like to scritch/massage my hair each night. I also need to be able to apply my growth aids.

I take mine down as soon as I get home then braid it up to stretch my hair a bit. Also it gives my edges a break. I've learned my lesson. I want to continue to bun so I have to watch my edges. In the morning I "wet" with a spray moisturizer and back in a bun it goes.

I take mine down at night and let my hair rest. I part my hair down the middle and make 2 "Pokahontas" side braids and pin those up and wrap with a silk scarf to sleep. Before I do all that, I moisturize me edges and ends.

Back