NEW: Winter Bun Challenge (Dec 2009- Mar 2010)

My break ends soon.

Shocked my managing partner the other day! He was like, "WOW! You keep your hair so close to your scalp, no one would know you had that much hair!" (He's white...I'm between SL and APL.) :) It was cute. Guess it's working!

Been posting pictures all over the place, so why not here. Anyway, i tried to take pictures of my bun with my cell phone today -- not the best angles. Hope you can see it.

IMG00093.jpg
IMG00094.jpg

IMG00092.jpg

I'm getting so many inspirations from you ladies! Glad I joined this challenge.

Here's the bun I'm rocking today:
ca50a949.jpg

And this was messy bun a few days ago.
f0bf2318.jpg

9fc597e8.jpg

Ladies I don't know if I can continue with this challenge. It seems to be more miss than hit lately and it taking me way too long to make a decent bun. I'm ready to give up and consider braids but then I'd miss my hair! I just feel like I've been manipulating my hair too much & my buns don't look as nice as some the ladies here. My edges look fuzzy and my bun has hair sticking out looking ugly. I band my hair and then the next day make a bun- or attempt to. I got all these cute hair toys lol for my buns & I can't even use them! Arrgghh! Maybe I will try rollersetting and see if I can get smoother results. I just don't know what to do!

merilusmims & Mz Zartavia...how did you ladies do these buns? The only bun i can do is the donut bun...that makes it hard to bun everyday....help please.

My hair is this BSB with damage on the left side that I am managing to hide with a swoop.

Thanks

merilusmims & Mz Zartavia...how did you ladies do these buns? The only bun i can do is the donut bun...that makes it hard to bun everyday....help please.

My hair is this BSB with damage on the left side that I am managing to hide with a swoop.

Thanks

Well the first one is my version of the Chinese Braided Bun. You can YouTube it. I'm going to try it another way probably Monday.

The second bun I just put my hair in a high pony and made about 4 sections. Each section I pinned into a little loop to create a mock cinna bun. Kind of just made it up.

Thanks

Well my hairs only shoulder length and i just make a ponytail but on the second turn i dont pull hair all the way through i just stop halfway pull a little to make it full and tuck my ends in and pin any stray hairs mostly my nape

Ladies I don't know if I can continue with this challenge. It seems to be more miss than hit lately and it taking me way too long to make a decent bun. I'm ready to give up and consider braids but then I'd miss my hair! I just feel like I've been manipulating my hair too much & my buns don't look as nice as some the ladies here. My edges look fuzzy and my bun has hair sticking out looking ugly. I band my hair and then the next day make a bun- or attempt to. I got all these cute hair toys lol for my buns & I can't even use them! Arrgghh! Maybe I will try rollersetting and see if I can get smoother results. I just don't know what to do!

You can do it!! Make that bun your own!! I think buns look great whether they are fancy or if they are messy. Keep at it girl. We're here for ya!

Ok so I'm back wearing my bun today. I washed my hair with a shampoo bar and then worked some Tresemme smooth & silky through my hair as I pulled it up and put it into a ponytail. I got out and rubbed coconut oil on my edges to smooth them down and tied a satin scarf on my head. When I was ready to go I took off the scarf and tucked my ends under & pinned them with 2 bobby pins and wrapped one of my flexi 8s around the bun. It actually looks pretty nice!

Does anyone else cowash and bun? How are you ladies doing it? Do u wear the same buns for a few days or redo it daily?

Last edited:
Ok so I'm back wearing my bun today. I washed my hair with a shampoo bar and then worked some Tresemme smooth & silky through my hair as I pulled it up and put it into a ponytail. I got out and rubbed coconut oil on my edges to smooth them down and tied a satin scarf on my head. When I was ready to go I took off the scarf and tucked my ends under & pinned them with 2 bobby pins and wrapped one of my flexi 8s around the bun. It actually looks pretty nice! Does anyone else cowash and bun? How are you ladies doing it? Do uwear the samw buns for a few days or redo it daily?

Hey there :wave:

I love to cowash and bun. I use a donut bun though, makes me look smart :spinning: I usually moisturise and re-do my bun in the morning. By the time i get home from work, i jus wanna let my hair down and relax!

Bunners, it's hard right now. For some reason, I'm really lusting after twists! (I don't know why because my twists have looked a mess for over a year now.) It's getting harder and harder to pull my hair into a bun. I feel like an addict fighting the urge! :blush:

I keep pumping myself up like Rocky... "C'mon, you can do this! Only about 2 more weeks for the halfway point. Don't punk out now!" How are the rest of you ladies doing? Just need a push from my fellow Bunners. :look:

Bunners, it's hard right now. For some reason, I'm really lusting after twists! (I don't know why because my twists have looked a mess for over a year now.) It's getting harder and harder to pull my hair into a bun. I feel like an addict fighting the urge! :blush:

I keep pumping myself up like Rocky... "C'mon, you can do this! Only about 2 more weeks for the halfway point. Don't punk out now!" How are the rest of you ladies doing? Just need a push from my fellow Bunners. :look:

I feel you. Last week I was loving everything about the bun but this week I found myself getting a bit board. To solve the problem I put my hair in large box braids on Sunday and have been wearing those in a bun. It has been a nice change from my regular bun. Maybe you could twist your hair and pin the twists up in a bun. It would kind of be the best of both worlds.

Here are some pics from my bun I wore today:

Attachments

• 011910.jpg
    011910.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 01192010 bun.jpg
    01192010 bun.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 01192010 wet bun.jpg
    01192010 wet bun.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 20
At least y'all can dress up your buns with flowers, hair sticks, etc. I am in the military. I can't put squat in my hair. So I have just a borinng old bun day in and day out. My motivation??? The thought of being APL for the first time in my life. And all I gotta do it RETAIN. That's my new mantra-Retain, Retain, Retain.

I'm experimenting with pushing my bun higher and higher up on my head. It's interesting. Tomorrow, I'm going to try to put it way up there. We'll see.

I pinned my hair up yesterday rather than bunning. I needed my hair pulled loosely. Still watching the edges. I need to play around and figure out how to wear my buns more loosely. I'm really not interested in every hair laying down perfectly. Well...that depends on my mood.

Ok ya'll here's my attempt at a French Bun I'm wearing today:

front.html

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Right top.jpg
    Right top.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 103
  • left rear.jpg
    left rear.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 102
  • left.jpg
    left.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 102
^ ^ OmG what a beautiful French roll! How did you do that? Did flat iron or roller set your hair first?

Thanks girl. I flat ironed my hair on Saturday and haven't straightened it since. All I did this morning was put a little Lok & Blok on my hair and brushed the heck out of it with my boars hair brush. My hair has a mind of its own and it fell into 3 sections. I rolled up the side sections and pinned them up like this and brushed the back down. That's it!

Back