New *2011* Transitioners Support Thread!

Here is my NG at 10 Months post I am 1 year & 2 weeks post now and I haven't taken any pictures yet..

Attachments

• ng_at_10 Months Post.jpg
    ng_at_10 Months Post.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 66
  • ng_at_10 Months Post (1).jpg
    ng_at_10 Months Post (1).jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 60
How far into the transition are you? 4 months (18 weeks. last relaxer Aug 23rd)

What is your transition goal? I don't really have one...Just seeing where this goes.

I just hit the 18 month mark yesterday! :yay:I can't believe I made it because I've been itching to chop for the last 3-4 months. However, after straightening my hair for Christmas, I feel I can go a lot longer. I am so happy with my progress that I'm anxious to see just how far I can go. I've even been considering a 3 year transition instead of 2.

One thing I did notice when I did my end-of-the-year flat iron is my hair is a lot thinner (both the natural and the relaxed hair) than the last time I flat ironed (back in June '10):sad:. I tried to pinpoint what part of my regimen changed and I think it's because I stopped using all the Ayurveda stuff (amla, shikikai (sp?) and amla oil). Early in the year I'd prepoo with Amla oil then mix up the amla and shikikai powders in a rinse and massage my scalp with that. My hair was noticeably thicker when I was doing this. I am officially back on the Ayurveda bandwagon and I'm not getting off! I think I will start doing henna bi-weekly too.

Any fine-haired ladies have more tips for getting the hair to at least appear thicker? Products? Techniques? Just curious.

Anyone experiencing a lot of shedding?

Only when I use too many moisture products and don't add any protein.. So now I try to add it either in my pre-poo or b4 I DC.. I noticed when I did the black tea rinse I wasn't having any issues.. Just didn't want to do that too much. I think if you are on any medication you have to be careful with how much you do the rinse.. I read that on one of the boards.. Since I am on high blood pressure meds I don't do it that much..

Mine is only when its wet. Don't see a lot when my hair is dry.

So yesterday I got a little wild an almost big chopped! I cut of a few hairs only in the back since most of my relaxed ends are gone anyway. So I decided again to lather up and check out the curl pattern but wasn't too impressed with what I saw! Question:
1) Will the curl pattern change after a BC and become well.. more defined and curled? Or maybe I have heat damage?!
2) Also I'm much longer in the back and shorter in the front, would I cut evenly to the shortest length on my head?
Needless to say I chickened out an put the shears away!

Attachments

• photo-46.jpg
    photo-46.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 60
So yesterday I got a little wild an almost big chopped! I cut of a few hairs only in the back since most of my relaxed ends are gone anyway. So I decided again to lather up and check out the curl pattern but wasn't too impressed with what I saw! Question:
1) Will the curl pattern change after a BC and become well.. more defined and curled? Or maybe I have heat damage?!
2) Also I'm much longer in the back and shorter in the front, would I cut evenly to the shortest length on my head?

You don't look like you would have much to cut off.

1) Will the curl pattern change after a BC and become well.. more defined and curled? I heard some ladies say that their hair looked totally different when they became natural. Don't go by your transitioning hair to tell what you will look like as a natural.. Also sometimes the product you use may give you a more defined look or curls..
Or maybe I have heat damage?! Not sure Do you use heat a lot?

2) Also I'm much longer in the back and shorter in the front, would I cut evenly to the shortest length on my head? Not sure about that answer either.

Hello I will be 15 months post on Jan 3. I plan to bc probably this summer. I am still learning my hair and do know that it dries easily so I try to keep it moisturized and do dcs. The only thing I haven't really done is protein treatments mainly because I don't know when to know when I need one, what kind to get and if it may mess up my hair. But I feel like I am missing out on something and they may help my hair.

1) I have heard some say that the curl pattern may be different after you chop because the relaxed ends weigh down the hair, however since you don't have very many relaxed ends I'm not sure how much of a difference you'll see once you BC.

2) I think this would be a personal preference type of thing. My hair is noticeably shorter in the front too (actually I think it's all the same length but since the hair in the back is lower on your head it appears longer-if that makes sense?) but I don't think I'll cut to even it up until my hair is extremely long lol.:lachen: It's totally up to you, but I'd think it'd be hard to maintain hair that's all one length all the time.

Ok so I started flat ironing a few minutes ago but I chickened out :lachen:! I only ended straightening the right side of my nape :ohwell:.
The first pic is right after I washed last night.
The second pic is showing where I stopped straightening.
The last pic was the best "length" pic i can get which was the last time I straightened in July.

Attachments

• LENGTH CHECK DEC 2010 8.jpg
    LENGTH CHECK DEC 2010 8.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 47
  • LENGTH CHECK DEC 2010 9.jpg
    LENGTH CHECK DEC 2010 9.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 47
  • length check dec 2010 1.jpg
    length check dec 2010 1.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 42
  • LENGTH CHECK DEC 2010 6.jpg
    LENGTH CHECK DEC 2010 6.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
So.....i did a few blog updates. I wanna be on my game next year with my blog yo. I just don't know what else to do with it:nono:

But it shows all the pics of all the little chops i did.

~~Disclaimer~~: I post most of my pics on my blog bc a)i don't like my pics all over the internet....unless they look good ;) and b) for some reason LHCF doesn't accept my size pics even tho i come on here and some ppls pics are waaay huge and its my sister's camera i'm using at the moment and i hate clogging up her camera with my big and little copies of the big pictures....so that's why i say check out my blog for updates.

Yes i am a Threadgate 2010 survivor:lol:

Thank Yuh.

The last time I took down my braids in November, there was a lot of shedding and I didn't like it one bit so this weekend, I've decided to do an aphogee 2 step protein treatment for the first time ever. I watched a lot of you tube videos and should be able to do it right without any mishap. I will come back to give an update on Friday evening.

Is anybody shopping for their hair in advance of their BC??

I'm gonna start buying some headbands and accessories for that time:yep:.....i just have to have it lookin right:lol:......something tells me i might not make it to month 18!!:lol:

Just stopping in to wish you ladies good luck in your transitioning journeys!!! I was there last year, it's not always easy but once you get over the little humps it's SO worth it! HHG :)

1. How far into the transition are you?

I'm currently 10 months post, will be 11 months in a few weeks.

2. Whats your transition goal?

Minimum of 18 months.

The last time I took down my braids in November, there was a lot of shedding and I didn't like it one bit so this weekend, I've decided to do an aphogee 2 step protein treatment for the first time ever. I watched a lot of you tube videos and should be able to do it right without any mishap. I will come back to give an update on Friday evening.

Ok, I did the aphogee protein treatment today. I took down my braids detangled with EVCO & EVOO then made 6 parts and shampooed with ORS aloe shampoo then I put in the aphogee. My table top dryer blew when I plugged it in:cry2::cry3::cry:. My SO just got it for me from US and I didn't think to check the voltage compatibility before plugging it. Anyway, I used a hand dryer instead. When I rinsed it out, my curls sprang to life literally. I had never seen it look like that prior to the aphogee. I saw my curl pattern and it is completely different from what I originally thought it was:perplexed. I DCd afterwards with a mix of ORS replenishing conditioner, Giovanni SAS and lustrasilk shea butter cholesterol. My hair felt so soft when I was done. I can't believe I waited this long to try this. Anyway, it was a complete success and I will be doing this every 3rd month from now on. I also took some pics before I washed and I just wanted to share a little progress pic. It's just a couple of strands from the edge twisted. Pic 1 is about 6 months or so into my transition and Pic 2 is today when I took down my braids. I should add that when I stopped relaxing, my edges and nape were almost bald. I can't believe how much it's grown in the last year.

Happy transitioning to everyone and happy New Year! :)

Last edited:
I was very discouraged this morning. I had my hair cornrowed for about a week. Took hair down last night and the shedding was unreal! I think that my friend may have cornrowed too tight. Gave myself an Aphogee treatment and let hair airdry. Slept in four bantu knots. This morning my hair was severely tangled with a dry patch in the middle (my kinkiest spot). Still a lot of hair in my comb. Read some of the thread today and I am encouraged again. Maybe I am at the hump (Just over 5 months post). I really do hope it gets better.

Back