New *2009* Transitioners Support Thread!

oh boy... i am 52 weeks post today!!! :lol:

i have anywhere between 4-6 inches... the front sides are the shortest. i measured a couple of shed hairs that were at just a little more than 5 inches, and other strands that had 6 inches of new growth, straightened.

My hair is mostly natural at the moment, b/c I am sporting a collarbone length bob. the relaxed hair at the sides is the longest though.

I am considering chopping at 17-18 months.

Congratulations!:congrats:

i keep changing things. lol. i am getting extra virgin coconut oil tomorrow and vo5 strawberries and cream.

i want the oil because it can do everything. i am gonna use this on its own for deep conditioning, i am gonna add it to my shea butter and whip them together for a creamier butter, and i am gonna add a little to my bentonite clay mixture for a more moisturized result. yay!

the vo5..i need a new cowash conditioner. i used to use this in the past but had thought it was too thin. now i feel like my suave tropical coconut is too thick..go figure. lol.

i will cowash with the vo5 tomorrow night and seal with the whipped butter and let you all know.

Fighting the urge to BC. Just hit the 9th month mark. I want to go 12 mos (which would be NYE) or 18 months if my length is where I want it. I am just really fighting the urge, lol.

No problem at all! Welcome again :-)

Check out the Newbie thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=50291

I cowash 4 times a week.
Moisturise with my home made spritz (conditioner, evoo, glycerin and water) and seal with my shea mix (unrefined shea butter, coconut oil, castor oil and ale vera gel)
I clarify once every 3 months (I think)
I don't wear half-wigs... but a lot of ladies use them as protective styles and also when transitioning.
I don't use multivitamins specifically for my hair... I think there are some threads on those.

thanks mummysgirl for directing me to this discussion group. I am new and would like to start transitioning. I have been visiting these forums and the ones at fotki to try to get an idea on where to start. It is so much to learn! It's a bit overwelming actually. But I am determined to obtain a healthy hair state. Any ideas are welcomed... But I have a few questions to start..

How many times a week do you wash/conditioner?
What do I used daily to moisturize my hair?
How often should I clarify?
Will half-wigs help protect my hair while it is growing?
What vitamins are the best?

Please visit my fotki website also!
http://members.fotki.com/KinkyRed/about/

I decided to DC last night. Applied coconut oit, AO HSR and an oil mix...went to sleep. My hair felt horrible this morning. I liked AO HSR when I used it once before with sea salt, but it sucked today. I tried co-washing to detangle the mess, but my hair still didn't feel right. I thought maybe there was product build-up since i straightened and had just been co-washing daily before that. I washed with the ORS aloe shampoo...hair felt like straw, but it normally does with that....then I DC'd with the replenishing conditioner b/c it is moisturizing with a mild protein. The relaxed hair feels wonderful...but the natural...not so much. I don't know anymore...

1247506946.jpg

I just took out a few braids in my nape area and I'm getting some good growth. It's growing in stronger and healthier since I stopped relaxing. I haven't relaxed my nape since Nov. 08 and that area was "peach fuzz" with a few 1/2 inch strands. I'll try to get a better nape pic soon.

I can't wait until I'm completely natural. I'm loving this!

So, it's been a year since my last relaxer and I figured that deserved some pictures... Sorry they are huge pics...

This is the top of my head...

DSCF9005.jpg

This is my nape area...

DSCF9006.jpg

This is the back half...the texture is different here...

DSCF9008.jpg

Ok. You all have a great night...on to the dryer for me!

^^Beautiful texture!:yep: I really hope that I can hang in for atleast a year before I cut. I was considering BCing after seeing all of the BC threads but after I removed my braids and saw that I only have about an 1 1/4 inch of NG, I changed my mind. I hope I can hang in until April 2010.

^^Beautiful texture!:yep: I really hope that I can hang in for atleast a year before I cut. I was considering BCing after seeing all of the BC threads but after I removed my braids and saw that I only have about an 1 1/4 inch of NG, I changed my mind. I hope I can hang in until April 2010.

You can hold out till April! * Maybe even longer*:yep:
By then you'll have tons of new growth.
Next month will be a year for me,
and I have no urge/desire to big chop
yet.
Hang in there..

thanks! I had an urge to BC a lot from months 6-9 b/c of all of the threads, but I had to keep in perspective how I felt about shrinkage and such. Trust me you can hold out until April!

Hey Ladies,

Just checking in. I am almost at my 8 month mark of transitioning. :) I have to say I am very proud of myself for making it this far and I am going to keep going with my goal. My hair is during really well and day by day it's getting stonger and stronger. The less manipulation the better.

Congrats to all the new BC's and new transitioners. Keep up the good work everyone. :)

ladies...if you are not...please finger comb your products through your hair! it makes all the difference in the world. i did it for the first time last night, and i was amazed.

I'm currently 6 months into my transition and it's getting hard. I feel like I'll be baldy-locks before it's all over...I detangling this week and lost sooo much hair! I had knots that just wouldn't loosen no matter how much conditioner I coated it with or took small sections...

I'm a 4b so it this natural due to the extreme texture differences??

I'm 12 weeks post this weekend and my scalp is sore.:crying3: I guess I'm tender-headed. Does anyone know what I can do stop my scalp from being sore? My NG is growing in pretty good but with all of the shrinkage, I KNOW I'm not ready to BC. I'm going to try to get some Senegalese Twists this weekend.

Hi All,

Just stopping in to say I'm 21 months into the transition. Since I used to have a texturizer, that's all that's left on my ends. From what I can tell, I may have about an inch of texturized ends left (They appear much more frizzy when wet than my natural hair...).

Long transitions aren't for everyone, but this worked out pretty well for me. I still rollerset my hair and it's actually easier to rollerset than when I was texturized or relaxed. I added an updated pic in my siggy of a rollerset on grey rollers and flat-ironed roots.

Of course, my hair is puffier and bigger nowadays, but I kinda like that. Now I can get back to length :drunk:.

I'm 12 weeks post this weekend and my scalp is sore.:crying3: I guess I'm tender-headed. Does anyone know what I can do stop my scalp from being sore? My NG is growing in pretty good but with all of the shrinkage, I KNOW I'm not ready to BC. I'm going to try to get some Senegalese Twists this weekend.

I am sure there is some more insightful advice on this, but mine just stopped being sore after a while. My crown used to stay sore (even before my transition), but I noticed around 5 or so months that the pain was gone. Now, there is probably something behind that...(there always is on these boards), but just wanted to give you a glimmer of hope.

I'm currently 6 months into my transition and it's getting hard. I feel like I'll be baldy-locks before it's all over...I detangling this week and lost sooo much hair! I had knots that just wouldn't loosen no matter how much conditioner I coated it with or took small sections...

I'm a 4b so it this natural due to the extreme texture differences??

I think detangling is always one of the headaches of transitioning. On one of the polls most transitioners listed around 6-8 or so months being the most difficult. So, hang in there. When I dramatically upped my moisture, life got better. I tried a sea salt/honey/evoo/AOHSR combo and it enabled me to detangle without much breakage and my hair was unbelievably moist. That was a turning point for my hair. I got the mix from a post...i think it is something about citric acid in the title. HTH...

ETA: Also, finger detangling, wide tooth, then smaller teeth really helped for me. make sure to have plenty of conditioner at your line of demarcation. If mine is really bad, i finger detangle under water w/ conditioner first.

ETA: link on citric acid: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=262381

Last edited:
Hi All,

Just stopping in to say I'm 21 months into the transition. Since I used to have a texturizer, that's all that's left on my ends. From what I can tell, I may have about an inch of texturized ends left (They appear much more frizzy when wet than my natural hair...).

Long transitions aren't for everyone, but this worked out pretty well for me. I still rollerset my hair and it's actually easier to rollerset than when I was texturized or relaxed. I added an updated pic in my siggy of a rollerset on grey rollers and flat-ironed roots.

Of course, my hair is puffier and bigger nowadays, but I kinda like that. Now I can get back to length :drunk:.
WOW! You and your hair are gorgeous! I needed to see a 21 month post transitioner today.... THANKS!

Hi, ladies! We lost another long-term transtioner to the chop..

Soliel185 chopped at 17 1/5 months post and her hair is BEAUTIFUL!! Here's the thread:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=382718

LAWD...this chop is really wearing on me...This is the first time I am really geting the urge to seriously chop. My goal is 18 months...Lord, I hope I make it...

You stole my announcement thunder! :rofl:

Thanks for all the support guys! :wave:
I'll definitely keep checking this thread, and offering advice if I have any. :yep:

WOW! You and your hair are gorgeous! I needed to see a 21 month post transitioner today.... THANKS!

Aw thanks! How far along are you now? Seriously I thought all my hair was going to to break off by this time, but its true that it really gets easier after the 7-9 month hump.

IMG00008-20090716-1508.jpg

I'm stilling hanging in there - it got a little annoying beginning with month 7. I have a bit of relaxed strands that just come out during the detangling process. I'll see where I stand at my 1 year mark. The two textures are no joke.

Last edited:
I think detangling is always one of the headaches of transitioning. On one of the polls most transitioners listed around 6-8 or so months being the most difficult. So, hang in there. When I dramatically upped my moisture, life got better. I tried a sea salt/honey/evoo/AOHSR combo and it enabled me to detangle without much breakage and my hair was unbelievably moist. That was a turning point for my hair. I got the mix from a post...i think it is something about citric acid in the title. HTH...

ETA: Also, finger detangling, wide tooth, then smaller teeth really helped for me. make sure to have plenty of conditioner at your line of demarcation. If mine is really bad, i finger detangle under water w/ conditioner first.

Thanks for the salt reminder. I am going to do that next time I wash.

I'm still hanging in there. I plan on doing a twist out (via flat twists) or a braid out (via corn rows) for this weekend. I hope I don't get too lazy. :ohwell:

I understand what your going through.Going through the same thing right now.I oil my scalp and rub it gentle, usually helps.

i just randomly chopped like 2 1/2 inches off an upper layer of hear because the level of stringyness was killing me. if i plan on holding off on this chop, i need to stop doing that. this is why i need my hair in a bun all the time lol. i take it down and look what happens

Back