New *2009* Transitioners Support Thread!

Wow so many milestones being passed. Congrats on continuing to transition.

Like one person said its's BC season b/c every1 is BC'ing. I did mine on July 1st when I got back home from my internship. I love my new hair cut and being all natural.

I encourage every1 to continue transitioning if you really want to have natural hair. This thread was a main reason I kept going as long as I did. I love you ladies, your support was amazing.

Check out my BC photos in the thread....New Month. New Life. New Me....so I BC'd.

***don't know how to post actual link***

Last edited:
You girls are doing really well with your transition to natural hair. Keep up the good work.

I'm 10 weeks post today and I've had my braids for 3 weeks. My scalp is so tender,my braids feel so heavy.:cry2: I guess I must be tender-headed. I think I'll try smaller braids next time, I don't think I have this problem with micros.

On another note, my nape is doing well. I haven't relaxed that area since Nov. '08. My nape is doing so much better since I stopped relaxing.:yep:

My only regret... I ended my last transition July 08 out of frustration because I couldn't handle the two textures. I believe I can handle transitioning this year.

Okay ladies you are truly inspirational- BUT HOW IN THE WORLD! I took my braids down this morning to wash and condition my hair had to be at work at 10:00 I am sitting here with the nappiest ponytail, thick and wet in the world. I am lost for words. I have a perm upstairs in my apt. I am really thinking about slapping it in. I think it may be the products I am using/not using that is. I just washed/conditioned this morning with some Sauve which did nothing for my hair. I am 29 weeks post and have no idea how im going to make it thru the next year and a half. Plus my new growth doesn't have a curl, wave or hello in it. JUST NAPPY!

What's your regimen? What deep conditoner do you use? Suave isn't a DC, I know ladies here mix instant cons with oils and/or honey for DCs but not on their own as DCs. Do you clarify? What's your moisturiser?
Why not try headbands or scarves as accessories - they lay down new growth perfectly.

Okay ladies you are truly inspirational- BUT HOW IN THE WORLD! I took my braids down this morning to wash and condition my hair had to be at work at 10:00 I am sitting here with the nappiest ponytail, thick and wet in the world. I am lost for words. I have a perm upstairs in my apt. I am really thinking about slapping it in. I think it may be the products I am using/not using that is. I just washed/conditioned this morning with some Sauve which did nothing for my hair. I am 29 weeks post and have no idea how im going to make it thru the next year and a half. Plus my new growth doesn't have a curl, wave or hello in it. JUST NAPPY!

Okay that is the thing. I have been in braids for the past 3 months and I am getting tired of them. I was thinking of doing a sew in but really tired of the weaves and braids. I need to go to the beauty supply and stock up. I didn't have anything in my house but suave. LOL
I have 50 bucks to spend on some good products I want to get some natural products I am on this kick were I want to eat and live a little healthier. What brands have good natural products my hair is like 4zzzzzz for real

WOW. in 1 week, I will be 12 months post!!! :banana:

A month ago, I cut my hair to maybe 1-2 inches past my shoulder. So, in some parts my hair is mostly natural. The nape area only has about 3 inches of relaxed hair, but the front sides have maybe 6 inches at most.

Dealing with my hair is a little frustrating though! Im interning in corporate america and have been wearing my hair straight. It's been raining or misty most days and parts of my hair revert really quickly. Or my hair expands...

I'm trying to get a handle on the situation though. I like wearing it straight, but maintaining is a little challenging with the constant rain.

It's been 88 weeks, and I'm still transitioning. :giggle:

I got my hair done yesterday, and I got a trim too.

All is still going well.

I'm leaning less and less towards BCing next month....:perplexed

I'm at the point where transitioning is just something that is happening. My hair is on auto-pilot for the most part so I don't see any particular reason to chop at the moment.... :look:

me = coward :wallbash:

This is exactly how I feel, auto pilot!

Maybe my hair is acting like this for 1. I didn't use the right products. 2. I haven't did any protein treatment of any sort. When I get off work I am going to go get some things for my hair and treat it and put it in 2 french braids and hit the pool.

Hey Ladies! I'm coming in to let you guys know I did my Big Chop yesterday (July 2). I couldn't wait until Dec. I feel so liberated and excited and I'm loving my all natural hair. I will post pics soon!
:swearing:WE WERE TRANSITIONING BUDDIES!!! WHYYYYYYYYYY? LOL!! Seriously congrats and hope to see some pics soon! I know u look fabulous!

Today I deep conditioned with a mix of KBB hair mask and Pantene R&N deep conditioner. I slathered it on and laid by the pool for 3 hours. After I rinsed it out I put on my KBB hair milk and sealed with jojoba oil. My hair feels better than EVER right now!!! This transitioning thing is so easy...i've only got a couple more inches to cut off before I'm free!!:grin:

I lost a few braids the other day and I noticed that my NG seems to be a cottony texture (no curl) in one area and cottony, tightly curly in another. I guess I'm 4b in those areas. I remember being made to feel ashamed of my texture as a little girl but I can't wait to embrace my natural hair. I also want to show the naysayers in my family that natural hair is beautiful and CAN GROW LONG.:yep:

15 weeks post and I am dealing with three textures. Even though I am diligent with my protien treatments, I see I have some breakage at the line of demarcation; the relaxed ends are just breaking off. I am trying to budget to get some kinky twists (heck, I might do them myself) to control the breakage.

I DC'd yesterday and I clearly have 3 different texture/diameter of curls. The areas of my head that always seemed like just fuzz are actually really really tight waves. Other places I have 4a spirals, and then finally some 3C ringlets. :spinning:

I was tempted to chop when I saw it all fluffy and wet with those dang ends hanging off. Pretty much anytime I'm about to style it these days, I get the urge to grab the scissors and start snipping.

I am a year and a couple weeks. I have less than an inch left so I really consider myself natural.lol I know my hair is gonna look alot better once in get those ends off.

I have been watching this thread forever (I was a long time lurker). I'm transitioning, 23 weeks post and finally found a routine that works! Yea! I was getting frustrated but now I'm in it for the long run. Hair is now grazing APL (stretched) and I have no intention to cut for at least another year and a half. It's going to be an interesting time.

I have a question, it sounds kind of silly.. lol.

How are you transitioners detangling? I'm so torn between combing my hair at my roots and leaving them be. In Cathy Howse's book, she says quite emphatically not to run a comb through new growth as you'll literally be pulling hair from your scalp o.o

I detangle my relaxed ends with a comb, and then run my fingers through my new growth as I'm still not sure the approach I should be taking with it. Any ideas? It's not fully detangled and I've been fighting off matting as best as I can.

And I haven't exactly joined the "transitioning wagon" just yet. I'm still considering. My last relaxer was March 12th, and my last stretch was 19 weeks. I'm 15 weeks and 5 days post at the moment.

TIA :)

I detangle my hair with my fingers under running water when rinsing out my conditioner... I am able to detangle both my new growth and relaxed hair. After applying my leave in conditioner to my wet hair, I detangle the whole length of my hair with my wide tooth comb.

One thing I NEVER do is detangle m new growth when it's dry, I can detangle my relaxed hair for a neat look with my wide tooth comb but ONLY run a comb through my new growth when it's damp/wet.

HTH!

How are you transitioners detangling? I'm so torn between combing my hair at my roots and leaving them be. In Cathy Howse's book, she says quite emphatically not to run a comb through new growth as you'll literally be pulling hair from your scalp o.o

I detangle my relaxed ends with a comb, and then run my fingers through my new growth as I'm still not sure the approach I should be taking with it. Any ideas? It's not fully detangled and I've been fighting off matting as best as I can.

And I haven't exactly joined the "transitioning wagon" just yet. I'm still considering. My last relaxer was March 12th, and my last stretch was 19 weeks. I'm 15 weeks and 5 days post at the moment.

I only detangle when my hair is wet. I detangle with my fingers under running water and with a wide tooth comb when it is saturated with conditioner. I generally go fingers, wide tooth, denman... (i rarely use the denman)

Honestly - I think that if you never fully detangle the new growth, you're asking for trouble. There's no way to get out ALL the shed hair just finger combing, especially with that amount of NG.

I agree that detangling wet, and with product is the way to go. :yep: I have a number of detangling tools - so I go from biggest to smallest. I start with finger combing, and I end with the denman. If you do this in sections, you should be able to detangle all the way down to the NG w/o losing tons of hair.

I use my denman with conditioner and under running water - i loose a minimal amount of hair. I get a smooth finish for my pony using this method.

I am going to sound contrary here.But I must tell my truth
I think the best way for one definitely depends on the individual hair . My ng is very fine and really dense, with straight relaxed ends. Long layered MBL. about 5mos. post.

I apply oil like grapeseed, vatika, etc and very gently detangle in small sections.Sometimes I'll put a cap on and sit under the dryer for 15 min first. I start with my fingers and use a seamless comb on each section braid in sections to wash. This gets my shed hair out and keeps hair on my head .

The relaxed hair wants to tangle like cobwebs when wet, so loose hair wet is out for me.The detangled relaxed hair tangles right back up.Demarcation line to ends will be a problem.
I wash/dc in those braids secured with barettes. Time consuming but works for me.
I can easily detangle sections post dc to put rollers in doing it this way.And I don't lose my mind.

I tried the detangling under the shower head with jilbere comb- I lost a lot of hair in the process with my hair in its weakest state, and I can't fully detangle, so it leads to ferocious tangling and knotting of the relaxed hair.

I can't detangle the relaxed hair soaked in conditioner, again relaxed hair in its weakest state. Before I can get it detangled it turns mushy.

HTH and wanted to demonstrate that what works for everyone is different.

Thanks for all the advice :)

I'll have to try detangling with conditioner in my hair as I've never done that before. I've only detangled after coming out of the shower and it's not enough apparently... I've detangled with oil as well and didn't have much success. I'll revisit it, could be that my technique was off....

Once again, thank you :) Hopefully I'll report back with success.

Honestly - I think that if you never fully detangle the new growth, you're asking for trouble. There's no way to get out ALL the shed hair just finger combing, especially with that amount of NG.

I agree that detangling wet, and with product is the way to go. :yep: I have a number of detangling tools - so I go from biggest to smallest. I start with finger combing, and I end with the denman. If you do this in sections, you should be able to detangle all the way down to the NG w/o losing tons of hair.
100% ditto for me too. :yep:

Okay ladies, I'm officially transitioning. I've been thinking about it for the past couple of months. Third time is the charm. The first time I did make it and I did the BC, was natural for a minute then got a relaxer. The second time I transitioned eight and a half months and then decided to texlax. Which was okay but I really want my natural hair back. I am seven months post now and I don't want to BC this time. Just do some mini chops. My first mini chop maybe 1-2 inches will be when I am a year post. Thanks for listening!

Okay ladies, I'm officially transitioning. I've been thinking about it for the past couple of months. Third time is the charm. The first time I did make it and I did the BC, was natural for a minute then got a relaxer. The second time I transitioned eight and a half months and then decided to texlax. Which was okay but I really want my natural hair back. I am seven months post now and I don't want to BC this time. Just do some mini chops. My first mini chop maybe 1-2 inches will be when I am a year post. Thanks for listening!

Welcome, I've been there and done that too, you are not along in here!

Back