Never been long

sistagrl2004

Is there anyone who's hair has grown but has never been long in the past? I have natural 4A hair and it's never been long, not even shoulder length long. Right now it's abou 6" all around.. It's shoulder length in the back, but the hairs in my front hairling do not reach back to make shoulder length or anything like that. I have been using an MN/MTG combination for about 2 1/2 months with GREAT results. My hair has also been in kinky twists on and off since July. Its eeems everyone with armpit length hair talks about having long hair as a child. I never did.. I was always teased about my "short nappy hair" .. anyone out there overcome this???

I have never had hair longer than what it is now. I am 3c/4a hair... I have always gotten to this point, but then i go and do something stupid that my hair doesn;t like, like microbraids or weaves. In the past i had been fooled to think that shoulder length was as long as our hair got and that weave was the only way to get it wrong, but after coming here i see differently.This time i am feeling pretty confident about taking care of my hair this time and really keeping this up. I had to just look and see things that wanted to try and try them. I eventually stumbled on somethings that my hair likes and doesnt like. I think it is all about how you care for the hair and how you take care of it to prevent breakage.

Hidden_Angel said:
Do some researchs on the boards their and plenty of detailed posts about this :) wish u best of luck

I have tried to use the search engine, but really didn't find what I was looking for. I guess I had the wrong key words.

I have never had long hair, and I did receive some cruel treatment because of it.

For me the best thing is to continue to increase the love that I have for myself, and to try my best to live the happiest life, that is the best revenge for all the haters.

Their negative words were to rob you of your happiness so why let them win by being unhappy.

Anyway as a very small child (up until I was about 4)before a relaxer it was maybe shoulder length, which my family considered long:confused:

But most of my life my hair has been about 5-6 inches long (Ear length and for me neck length used to be considered long:( ). At it's longest I think it was about 9 inches long-this was when I went natural. Right now I think I am just past 10 inches long. This is the longest my hair has ever been.:D

It is growing thicker, fuller, and healthier rapidly. My one year anniversary will put me a little past APL:D

I started at a moderately healthy neck length.

Last edited:
Girl, I have never had long hair in my life. It was short, dry and breaking everywhere! I don't consider my hair to be long now but it is ALOT longer than it used to be before I joined LHCF.

Cayenne0622 said:
I NEVER had long hair as a child but everyone else in my family did. I cried many nights over my hair. My hair started growing very long as an adult because I met my sister in law in who has always had at least bra strap length hair or longer. I followed the way she took care of her hair and before you know it, I was at APL. My family was in awe. My mother had to convince my brother that it was "my own hair". I never knew I had the potential for long lengths but now I know I can have it.

That's quite encouraging, I can relate to cruel treatment. What is your sister in law's (& your) regime?

I don't consider my hair to be long but it's never been this length (even as a child). As a teen and throughout undergrad I cut my hair b/c I "believed' that it wasn't going to grow long anyway so I might as well cut it.:ohwell:

Watching my mother's hair grow long (while wearing protective styles 24/7) motivated me to take better care of my real hair. I put the weave down and haven't looked back.......

Although I have been serious about having healthy hair for about 4 years now I wasn't retaining any length b/c prior to joining this site last year I was allowing my stylist to trim my hair w/ every perm AND blowdry me every week.:eek:

I have since banned her from cutting a single strand of my hair, started stretching relaxers, rollersetting, taking vitamins, avoiding heat and it's been ALL good......I'll reach bsl this year. :p

Listen, if I can do it, you can do it.

HHG!

Last edited:
The longest my hair had ever been before 2003 was just passed my shoulders. Now it's nearing waist length. No one could convince me that this was possible way back then.

Hello HoneyLemonDrop! :wave:

My hair hasn't ever been long either and it keeps surprising me. My hair is shoulder length!

Africana in Alberta said:
That's quite encouraging, I can relate to cruel treatment. What is your sister in law's (& your) regime?

I didn't receive cruel treatment from any family members but my grandmother thought I could "pray" my "bad" hair away. :mad: As far as the lady I mentioned. She doesn't have a special regimen, just good genes I supposed. She pretty much trims it regularly, shampoos twice a week, never deep conditions. Shampoo, conditioner, she used to use a blow dryer but now she sits under a bonnet dryer or airdries and then she flatirons with no heat protectant. She used to spray her hair with hairspray and then curl it.
I was really damaging my hair prior to meeting her. Blowdrying and improper use of all my styling tools. Just those simple changes caused it to grow and thrive. I haven't been so lucky this time around because of the massive shedding I've been going through.

Last edited:
my hair has never been any longer than neck length until now - not as a child; not ever. no one in my family knew how to take care of hair, so theirs was broken off and damaged as well. i was always teased as a child and never in a million years did i think my hair could grow to where it is today(apl). i'm thankful and delighted that i've learned how to grow my hair and have been able to teach my relatives. they too have grown their hair the longest it's ever been in their lives. believe me -- it is possible. just follow the advice on this board and remain consistent. you will see results.

signing in! My hair was alway short and the longest it has been in my life was shoulder length and that occured as an adult. My mom, God love her, had no clue how to care for my hair and it didn't grow until I learned howto care for my own and even now I am still learning but I will get to BSL by the end of 2008 or sooner. All things are possible if you persevere and educate yourself.

both sides have long hair so..I BELIVE GOD WILL BLESS ME... prayer...and tlc should get me to brastap if not midback by dec 08 is i keep this up...

Back