Naturals who have straightened their Hair regularly for Long Period of time

When i was natural i would press regularly and I could not wear an afro because of all the straight ends. Most of it reverted though but i couldn't rock a fro.

Since the "bonds are broken" if your natural hair is trained to stay straight and that equals damage...... is relaxed hair considered "damaged" as well since the bonds get broken down during the relaxing process? (Hope that makes sense)

And is the hair only healthy when there's no relaxing and no heat?

I think people do too much over-analyzing when it comes to determining what's healthy hair and what's not.

I would have to agree with the poster that feels her hair is not heat "damaged" per se since there's length retained and no split ends.

Relaxed hair is inherently “damaged”. The chemical is the relaxer is basic, meaning that it breaks down protein. Hair is protein. The relaxer breaks down the protein and bonds that hold the protein together. These bonds are what helps to gave hair its curl. This is why some ladies need to use protein conditioners, restorative treatments etc. regularly. There are different degrees of damage. A relaxed head of hair that “looks healthy” is not as damaged as a relaxed head of hair that looks chewed up. People just don't think of relaxed hair as being damaged because it can still look and feel great.

Lys

Relaxed hair is inherently “damaged”. The chemical is the relaxer is basic, meaning that it breaks down protein. Hair is protein. The relaxer breaks down the protein and bonds that hold the protein together. These bonds are what helps to gave hair its curl. This is why some ladies need to use protein conditioners, restorative treatments etc. regularly. There are different degrees of damage. A relaxed head of hair that “looks healthy” is not as damaged as a relaxed head of hair that looks chewed up. People just don't think of relaxed hair as being damaged because it can still look and feel great.

Lys

@bolded, so on those lines, I guess the same argument could be made for hair that is pressed/flat ironed? It only has the appearance of being healthy?

This topic concerns me in a way because it is seems like one has to give something in order to be able to enjoy "the best of both worlds" of being a natural. On the one hand, one can enjoy the coils and curls of being a natural, but, I know that for some of us naturals, the longer it gets, the more tangly it gets (i.e. the knots arise etc...), and this may lead to breakage. On the other hand, if we want to enjoy or hair straight, we face the possibility that our hair won't revert back, but yet we can enjoy the fact that our hair will not be as tangly. I am sorry, but I feel we have been blessed with a certain type of hair that can be straight if we choose and curly if we choose. I believe the key is in the way we take care of our hair. (I know I probably went off on a bit of tangent, but I guess since I am trying to decide if flat-ironing is okay, I have been debating about this for a while :-))

As an earlier poster mentioned her mom, my mom has been getting her hair pressed for over 30 years, and her hair is long, healthy and full, and reverts back. She almost laughed at me when I was telling her about the possibility of it not reverting back. Don't get me wrong, I know that heat damage exists, but at the same time I do believe ones hair can still be healthy getting it pressed regularly (every 2 weeks).

I straighten my hair 2-3 times a year.

I've never had any run ins with heat damage.

With that said, I think that hair type and thickness combined with straightening technique determines whether you'll have problems.

Using the same techniques, someone with fine hair is not going to be able to withstand as much heat as somenone with thicker strands without damage.

I straighten my hair 2-3 times a year.

I've never had any run ins with heat damage.

With that said, I think that hair type and thickness combined with straightening technique determines whether you'll have problems.

Using the same techniques, someone with fine hair is not going to be able to withstand as much heat as somenone with thicker strands without damage.

:yep: I think this is the deciding factor in whether someone is more at risk for heat damage. I have fine strands.

Yup!
That's what happened to me in 2003...which led me to find LHCF.
There's NO way :nono: I will EVER trust anyone again with my hair pro or otherwise. :nono:
I straighten my hair once every 2-3 months for trimming and length check...that's it! :yep:

I agree, if I pressed my own hair I don't think it would be damaged. I have to learn how to do it....after I grow out the damage the stylists already did...

I straighten my hair about every 2-3 weeks, and my hair is also doing just fine. I deep condition before I straighten it. Unlike Pinkskates, I have no skills with the hot comb.:nono: I rollerset and then flat-iron. I always say that the rollerset with leave-in is what helps my hair stay healthy. For me, blowdrers are a no no.

Thank you for this post! I was trying to figure out how to cut out the blowdryer and you just solved it for me!!!

Although Pinkskates method of straightening the hair with the blowdryer is also not bad.

Now all I need to learn is how to press my hair without burning it! I'm so nervous that I've just avoided heat all together. At some point I'll straighten again.

Additionally, I think a more appropriate term would be "Heat Stretched" rather than "Heat Damaged".

I just want to say that I like that term :grin: heat stretched

I think there are people who deliberately heat stretch their hair....so that they can be natural but wear it straight without using chemicals.

I think this thread shows that the words damage and healthy are subjective.....and you just have to go with what state you are happy for your hair to have.

I think its definitely a trade-off that you face as a natural...that if you want to wear your hair straight you may face having heat-stretched hair and it not be as textured....but that may be a good thing since super coily long hair can be difficult to deal with. Some people find their happy medium with relaxers, some with texlax, some with heat-stretching, and others with plain ol' coils....to each their own.

Anyways...I just wanted to say that this thread brought up some good points.

In response to the OP, the last time I was natural, I got my hair pressed every two weeks and I had thick, shiny APL hair. This time around, I plan to straighten once every month or two, once I reach my goal length. Oh and I have like 80% thick strands and about 20% fine strands...my hair is pretty good at "holding" heat. Hope that helps.

What sets me back is the professionals. They LOVE to burn the mess out of my hair. Since my last press *see siggy* I got some bad damage and I won't be visiting a professional any time soon unless they are LHCF approved. I'm not even joking:nono: Just say no to stylists!

Me too. Jeve

Since the "bonds are broken" if your natural hair is trained to stay straight and that equals damage...... is relaxed hair considered "damaged" as well since the bonds get broken down during the relaxing process? (Hope that makes sense)

I think people do too much over-analyzing when it comes to determining what's healthy hair and what's not.

I would have to agree with the poster that feels her hair is not heat "damaged" per se since there's length retained and no split ends.

I have seen that argument before. A lot of people over at NP argue that because the bonds are broken it is damaged. I think you can still have healthy hair to a degree if it's relaxed but it will never be 100% or as healthy as it would be without the relaxer. It's still damaged. You just don't see it as much as you would with natural hair that has been burned straight. I don't see how y'all would think that burned straight natural hair is healthy. You can maintain its health to a certain degree (or try to nurse it back) but it will never be 100%. But hey, to each it's own... For me I don't see the point in being natural if my hair isn't going to revert. Might as well had stayed relaxed since I only relaxed 3-4 times a year.

I am glad that DC works for you but....
I don't want naturals to get the wroong idea thinking that DC is the answer to prevent the damage. I am pretty sure that most of the people who have complained of damage did do a deep conditioning treatment before hand. (That is the #1 staple routine on this board) At least I did....sometimes DC doesn't make a difference

Exactly. When i had heat damage my hair was in great condition. I moisturised, DC'd, proteined( i know that's not a word), protective style, rarely combed etc. The heat got me, it got me bad:nono:. If you want to wear textured styles- twists/braids/fro/twist out, i would NEVER advise you to press regularly. I haven't seen anyone on this board who presses regularly yet wears twists/braids/fro regualrly as well. Its a choice.

I think the key is DC'ing, a good heat protectant, and most importantly MINIMAL HEAT. I have straighten my hair quite a bit and my hair has always reverted with no problem. But I go to a "stylist" and I have heat damage and heat stretched hair because of too much heat and no heat protectant. I went to the stylist with a DC in and a plastic cap on my head and still walked away damaged...

Exactly. When i had heat damage my hair was in great condition. I moisturised, DC'd, proteined( i know that's not a word), protective style, rarely combed etc. The heat got me, it got me bad:nono:. If you want to wear textured styles- twists/braids/fro/twist out, i would NEVER advise you to press regularly. I haven't seen anyone on this board who presses regularly yet wears twists/braids/fro regualrly as well. Its a choice.

And I wear my hair in textured styles 99.9% of the time...so frequent straightening is NOT for me.

And I think this is an important point that all naturals......ESPECIALLY Transitioners need to think about when people are giving them advice about making their hair more "manageable" through the growing out process. The question of "How am I planning on wearing my hair most of time?" should be the question that determines if it would be meaningful for that person to straighten often. (and espcially the fine haired girls)

Umm if your hair is "trained" or does not totally revert, the bonds are broken and it IS damaged. No matter what y'all say. Healthy hair has elasticity and bounces back.

CG - I don't wear my hair straightened very often but I have not seen any adverse effects when I do get it straightened. I get my hair blowdried and flat ironed though. No hot comb.

yup yup

my hair got SERIOUSLY DAMAGED from ONE salon visit from that EVIL HOT COMB.The woman wasn't paying attention and i wish i knew would to correctly and safely straighten my hair back then but i didn't have the knowledge then like i have now.

The damaged parts are completly straight no curls. it's only in one area at the front and a few strands at the back.it's growing out and i have like 2-5 inches growth since september which was when it happened but if you are going to use heat pay attention and know what you are doing and that lady wasn't paying attention or that wouldn't happen and she did my hair before and nothing happened so i trusted her.:nono:

some people don't count heat damage when their hair still has curls but is looser but that's heat damage. no heat damage means it bounces back completely like how it's suppose to be normally not a slightly looser curl

And I wear my hair in textured styles 99.9% of the time...so frequent straightening is NOT for me.

And I think this is an important point that all naturals......ESPECIALLY Transitioners need to think about when people are giving them advice about making their hair more "manageable" through the growing out process. The question of "How am I planning on wearing my hair most of time?" should be the question that determines if it would be meaningful for that person to straighten often. (and espcially the fine haired girls)

:yep: You are absolutely correct!

BB- THe dominicas got my hair straight. I was teasing my asian friend and saying my hair was like hers now. Shiny and straight. I don't think I would go to them often because they go overboard with the heat.

I want the best of both worlds, straight hair some weeks and coily hair some weeks. I can't hot comb at all. :ohwell: It never gets straight.

I agree about the heat; even though your hair is straight as a pin and looks really good, that heat is a mutha!!!

That's what I am looking forward to once I become completely natural - the best of both worlds.

I can't do it regularly, the split ends would overwhelm me. But Pinkskates does it with minimal effects. And from what I can tell she is a type 4 too. :yep:
ITA - Pink skates has the serious routine and her hair is totally healthy...I think she's using curlformers now (I have to look those up :look:)

My hair got heat damaged with one visit to a stylist for a straightening about 2 years ago. She used both marcel flatiron and curlers, and no heat protectant. It stayed straight in serveral places, and I had to cut it out to wear a twa.

Now I go to a knowlegeable salon that know how to do all of the right things when straightening natural hair (i.e, steam treaments, heat protectant, ionic blowdryer, FHI flat iron). I only go about 3 times a year and it reverts every time.

THis may be off topic but since I have all you wonderful naturals who flat iron in one place I desperately need to know.....How do you care for your ends?? I flat ironed my 4b hair for the first time and I was happy to see it was SL but the ends are TERRIBLE. I don't believe they are neccessarily spilt (really I can't tell) but they just look dry and wiry. No amount of oil, serum or heat would make them smooth like the rest of my hair. I was hoping there was SOMETHING I could do without cutting them off. I know a trim is my best bet but I wanted to get a little more length before I get to snipping. Any products or methods that would maybe maybe make them "look" better before my next trim????? Please Help!

Last edited:
I just want to say that I like that term :grin: heat stretched

I think there are people who deliberately heat stretch their hair....so that they can be natural but wear it straight without using chemicals.

I think this thread shows that the words damage and healthy are subjective.....and you just have to go with what state you are happy for your hair to have.

I think its definitely a trade-off that you face as a natural...that if you want to wear your hair straight you may face having heat-stretched hair and it not be as textured....but that may be a good thing since super coily long hair can be difficult to deal with. Some people find their happy medium with relaxers, some with texlax, some with heat-stretching, and others with plain ol' coils....to each their own.

Anyways...I just wanted to say that this thread brought up some good points.

In response to the OP, the last time I was natural, I got my hair pressed every two weeks and I had thick, shiny APL hair. This time around, I plan to straighten once every month or two, once I reach my goal length. Oh and I have like 80% thick strands and about 20% fine strands...my hair is pretty good at "holding" heat. Hope that helps.

Great points---especially the bolded :yep:

okay welllllll i just may be in this natural mindset for the wrong reasons ..... me going natural... i plan to alwayyyyyys and forever wear my hair straight... im not too much of a fan of the different textures.. i love my hair straight.. but with body.. which is why ive considered going natural.. i looooooooooove the body that natural heads have when their hair is natural yet straigtened.... soooo should i not be going natural? should i just keep to my normal relaxer every 4months routine? or should i be doing the natural thing?

let me know... oh and another question.

tomorrow morning il be going to get my dominican blow out (something i do 1-2x a month) and i was thinking about loosening up my new growth with the coconut milk and lime concoction?? would that be a bad idea? or should i do it on my own time when i do my own hair afterwards?

tia

okay welllllll i just may be in this natural mindset for the wrong reasons ..... me going natural... i plan to alwayyyyyys and forever wear my hair straight... im not too much of a fan of the different textures.. i love my hair straight.. but with body.. which is why ive considered going natural.. i looooooooooove the body that natural heads have when their hair is natural yet straigtened.... soooo should i not be going natural? should i just keep to my normal relaxer every 4months routine? or should i be doing the natural thing?

tomorrow morning il be going to get my dominican blow out (something i do 1-2x a month) and i was thinking about loosening up my new growth with the coconut milk and lime concoction?? would that be a bad idea? or should i do it on my own time when i do my own hair afterwards?

tia

I don't think it is a bad idea. If being natural is what you really want to do then u should do it even if you do plan on wearing it straight all the time. At least you know already the style that you want to wear 100% of the time.

Sorry I can't help u with the other question...I have never used any products or homemade mixes to loosen my texture.

I totally agree. Also what works for someone else's hair might not work for another.

I don't think it is a bad idea. If being natural is what you really want to do then u should do it even if you do plan on wearing it straight all the time. At least you know already the style that you want to wear 100% of the time.

Sorry I can't help u with the other question...I have never used any products or homemade mixes to loosen my texture.

thanks... but is that more unhealthy for my hair?? which is healthier..being natural and getting a blowout/flat ironing it every wash ...... or just getting a relaxer and going on in my ways...???

thanks... but is that more unhealthy for my hair?? which is healthier..being natural and getting a blowout/flat ironing it every wash ...... or just getting a relaxer and going on in my ways...???

I think there are way too many variables and factors to make a blanket statement such as one is healthier than the other. I think that many people on the board believe that if you are going to be straight most of the time, then you should have a relaxer. However, I dont neccessarily agree. If you want to have straight hair and are averse to chemicals, then you can be a natural who straightens.

I think though that what most ladies in this thread are saying is that it is very rare that one can be a natural and straighten consistently and still achieve 100% reversion. However, if you are not concerned with wearing your hair in natural styles, such as twists, fros, etc. where coils are needed, then it shouldn't be a problem for you.

If you are a natural who straightens your hair, just dont be surprised when you have heat-stretched hair. If your hair still looks fly and feels healthy to you....then happy happy joy joy.

I think there are way too many variables and factors to make a blanket statement such as one is healthier than the other. I think that many people on the board believe that if you are going to be straight most of the time, then you should have a relaxer. However, I dont neccessarily agree. If you want to have straight hair and are averse to chemicals, then you can be a natural who straightens.

I think though that what most ladies in this thread are saying is that it is very rare that one can be a natural and straighten consistently and still achieve 100% reversion. However, if you are not concerned with wearing your hair in natural styles, such as twists, fros, etc. where coils are needed, then it shouldn't be a problem for you.

If you are a natural who straightens your hair, just dont be surprised when you have heat-stretched hair. If your hair still looks fly and feels healthy to you....then happy happy joy joy.

LOL I haven't heard that statement in a while...you made me laugh.

OT: I LOVE your hair

Whatever you say :rolleyes: (I was just going by what the term heat damge means which is basically what you described as texture change) You can define your hair how ever you want. I was just posting so that other naturals know what would be considered heat damage even though the hair does not appear damaged, espcially since that is what the OP was asking about.

Sorry :perplexed if you got the impression that I was talkiing bad about YOUR hair

Chile no! No offence taken at all.

tia

I think it depends on what type of hair you have. I couldn't be natural and wear my hair straight all the time. A LOT of heat would be required to get my 4 a/b hair straight, which would lead to damage over time if I straightened it frequently.

Back