Naturals When Did You Start Straightening Your Hair?

Stormy

My plan is to wait at least until my 1 year anniversary or when my hair is SL.
How long did most of you wait to flat iron or press your hair straight and why?

TIA!

I transitioned for 17 months, chopped in March 2010, and didn't straighten until December 2010 when I was almost BSL. During my transition my hair had grown to WL and I had no desire to straighten my hair and have it feel "short".

About a month after my BC. I did it just to see what my hair looked like. Plus I couldn't put my hair in a ponytail and I didn't want to wet my hair every day since it was getting cold outside.

Why are u marking your space? Are you going to copy my response??

I flatironed all the way through my 2 year transition and only stopped when i realised the damage i was doing which just before i cut off the last of my relaxed ends. I now use no heat at all.

Last edited:
@Bublin :lachen: @ your first line. Take that :hardslap: @SmilingElephant. :lol:

LOL, I really should stay out of these sort of threads coz I'm always so blah w/o a definitive answer. I so didn't really have a plan of when I'd straighten. I did it when the mood hit me. My hair was SL though. Except that doesn't mean I waited to get to it. SL seemed to be my "all the time length" when my hair grew. So I guess I just played with my hair when it got to that length, but it wasn't after a set time. I just did it coz I felt like wearing straight hair during the lifetime I had SL hair. If it had been 3 inches and I wanted a curly set in an afro, back when I didn't know about Curlformers, I'd have straightened it and used a curling iron at 3 inches. So yeah, if it's doable, I don't let anything get in the way of me doing what I want.

i did not straighten my hair until i was almost 2 years natural.
because at first i thought i would NEVER straighten my hair after i went natural and also because when i did i wanted my hair to be in tip top condition.

Nonie is there a pot-stirring smilie?? Lol. I can't even post them whilst i'm on my phone so u got off lightly this evening!

I'm scared to straighten actually. I straightened 2 pieces in the back just for fun on high :look: And it never fully reverted. :nono: Granted, I did do it on dirty hair and no heat protectant. I just did it on a whim.

I straightened my whole head for the first time when I was bout 8 months natural.

I straightened just a little of my nape hair in June for a length check which was 4 months natural and 14 months post relaxer...and I haven't looked at a flat iron since. I might do another length check at the end of the year and then go right back into hiding.

Last edited:
I did it last month when I was 8 months post my second BC. I used my Maxiglide on setting one and to my surprise, it worked awesome! I am so psyched because i made my third goal as a natural. I can make a pony tail! A puny one, but I can do it!:yay::yep: I am now 9 months post my second BC.

Last edited:
I am 26 months post and I haven't straightened at all cause I wasn't really interested. But now since I am getting SSKs so much and if I can't find a way to prevent them, I may become a straight natural.

Its been 5 years since I went natural and I still haven't straightened my hair not one time :P

@Nonie is there a pot-stirring smilie?? Lol. I can't even post them whilst i'm on my phone so u got off lightly this evening!

stirring.gif
Will that do? Or is this mischievous looking one better?
2.gif

Sorry OP. Bublin, quit hijacking the thread.

I straightened all throughout my transition, but I straightened it again 4 months post BC. I wanted to see how long it had gotten. I only waited because my hair was in braids the day after my BC for 2 months. After 2 months of braids, I got twists put in for another 2 months. I straightened my hair after that.

Thanks for your responses ladies. The last time I went natural (in 2009) I straightened my hair a couple of times just to do length checks when it was between 3-4 inches. About 9 months later after my BC I got excited because it was about shoulder length and I messed it up! My hair was kinda dirty and I had the (electric) pressing comb too hot. It didn't revert! For about 3-4 months, then slowly it reverted in some areas. Later I started getting SSKs and figured I'd have to wear it straight or stretched all the time since those were the only things that helped.

I see some women wait years and years to straighten and their hair seems to thank them for it. Others seem to be ok straightening on a regular basis before waiting for years. I'm so excited to be natural again and I just wanna do it right this time.

So there are political lhcf answers and real answers ... (kind of like the folks who have a real sat score and the one they tell everyone else)?? I never make any definitive plans about when to straighten - it was more like I was in sally's saw an interesting heat tool, bought it and decided to try it. :)

I haven't straightened because I truly don't know how and have no desire to learn at the moment. I never straightened my hair via flat iron when relaxed either.

ETA: Not to get it twisted with I will never straighten. Once I learn and have the desire to I will.

I straightened on and off throughout my transition- and whenever I felt like it when I was completely natural. I've never been one to plan for specific lengths for when I straighten....:look:

Last edited:
I transitioned to natural over the course of 2 years and I straightened every few months, rollersets, blowouts, and later Brazilian Keratin Treatments. I have been fully natural since 12/30/2009 (no big chop) and I straighten every few months if the mood strikes me.

Currently my personal challenge is not to straighten until January 2012.

I transitioned for 13 months, I flat-ironed every 3 months or so for length check, now I try to keep it straight as possible without direct heat with Roller Sets to prevent tangles and breakage...

I think I straightened 3 months after I bc'd just because. I was then straightening around every 3 months for lenght checks and trimming. But I think I will be straightening more as my hair is getting longer.

I straightened my hair Aug 2010 (1 yr into my transition)... I dont plan to do so again until November 2012 when I turn 25 (3yrs post relaxer)

BC April '07 first flat iron December '07...no particular reason other than I was familiarizing myself with my natural texture. I prefer my nappy hair to my str8 hair these days :) str8tening reminds me of some of the reasons I went natural ie. super thin/fine hair...

Why are u marking your space? Are you going to copy my response??

I flatironed all the way through my 2 year transition and only stopped when i realised the damage i was doing which just before i cut off the last of my relaxed ends. I now use no heat at all.

:huh:

No...I marked my space so when I use the app it is saved in my posts I participated in so that I can come back to them.

Anywho...I've been toying with the thought of flat ironing my hair just to see. Still trying to wait til BSL so that I can see some real progress.

I didn't wait until a certain length to straigthen my hair, I just did it when the mood struck

No set plan, just when I feel like it or want a really good trim.

~S~

I don't count when I straigthen my leave out for my installs, but that would be a total of 4 times including this present install.

Back