NATURALS, what's your SHRINKAGE like?

What's your shrinkage percentage (of your actual hair length)?

• My hair shrinks to show about 80-70% of my actual length -- Just a LITTLE

Votes: 23 13.5%
  • 50-40% of my acutal length -- About HALF

Votes: 85 49.7%
  • 30-20% of my actual length -- A LOT

Votes: 63 36.8%
  • None - I don't experience shrinkage

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kurlybella

my hair shrinks like no other!! if you saw my hair wet, you'd think it was really, really short.
when i cornrow my hair, it's right at my shoulders so even they shrink!!

i'd say it shrinks to about 20% of it's actual length when wet. what about you?

Last edited:
My shrinkage is about 50%+ when dry.

When wet, probably 20-30%.

This is a random question: but what factors affect the amount of shrinkage one has? I know texture, for the most part does, but even between similar textures, the shrinkage differs. Why? :spinning:

See my av above. I have nothing but shrinkage in that pic. If it so much as to touch water it will draw up. When wet, it is like a shrunken fro, when pressed it is much longer, almost shoulder length.

BSL stretched; below shoulder soaking wet; neck length dry. So, that's what, 40%?

Minny, I think both texture and curl pattern affect shrinkage. My hair is "very" coily, so I have more shrinkage than someone with looser curls or waves. Even someone who's hair might be considered a little "kinkier" than mine will have less shrinkage than me if their curl pattern is looser.

It varies and seems to be dependent on weather, product, technique, etc. and some unknown "WTF?!" factors that my hair keeps a secret from me.

This is a random question: but what factors affect the amount of shrinkage one has? I know texture, for the most part does, but even between similar textures, the shrinkage differs. Why? :spinning:

Hmm.. this is a totally UNEDUCATED guess (meaning I just thought of this now)... but maybe how weel the hair RETAINS moisture? If the hair is well moisturized and sealed, as it dries, there would be less shrinkage because technically the hair is still holding water.. if the hair is dry and parched, there is more shrinkage because there is less water in the hair.

I don't know my shrinkage because I twist my hair as soon as a step out of the shower so it won't tangle.. I assume it'd be 50% as well.

if i let it dry loose, around 75%. if i twist on wet hair, my twists are at around 2/3 my stretched length. if i twist on dry hair, my twists can be more than 50% my stretched length on a good day.

Some parts are as much as 60%, the back is more like 40-50% while the crown and upper sides show as little as 10% shrinkage :wallbash:

I have about 80% or more shrinkage...

straightened:
dsc05865ap8.jpg

shrunken:
dsc06062fc9.jpg

well not just coil size, but thickness of strands and coarseness of strands and porosity makes a difference. for example, my sis and i are both 3c/4a, but my strands are thicker than hers so i get less shrinkage than her, also more hangtime when completely dry. my son has fine wiry strands so his hair shrinks up to like 10% of it's true length :lol:

I have varying degrees of shrinkage. My nape shrinks to less than 20% of its size. My front edges shrink a little less than that. Most of my looser textured coils/waves in the front hardly shrink at all, and the coils in the back shrink big time, to like 50% their size. Some of my coils in the front on the sides of my head shrink to more than 50% too.

So I go from being SL when straight (when I actually flatiron all my roots) to a puff that doesn't even go past my neck.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the percentage, I'd guess about 60%.....it's more than half. My hair is hip-length and most of the time it shrinks to apl or above. What percent does that sound like? I didn't think it would shrink this much as my hair got longer but whatever. I'm wondering where all that hair goes, lol.

ETA.....I voted wrong.....maybe 30 to 20% of my actual length.

Last edited:
Back