Naturals That Twist...How Long Does It Take You?

Naturals: How long does it take to twist your hair?

• 0-15 minutes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 15-30 minutes

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • 30-60 minutes

Votes: 32 21.1%
  • more than one hour

Votes: 113 74.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sugarhoneyicetea

Hi Everyone:wave: I wanted to follow up to the post that asks how long it takes naturals to air dry by asking how long it takes naturals that wear twists to complete them. I recently BC to a TWA and only have patience to twist my hair once a week because it takes me a little over 2 hours to complete them. I'm not sure if this is the average time or if I'm doing something wrong, but it's just a little discouraging knowing to complete 30-40 twists I'm going to spend over 2 hours, not counting the time to pre-poo, condition, ect.

what kind of twists are u talkin about the two strand or the flat(not sure if I got the terms right). I practiced and practiced cornrows and two strand twists all last week and it took me a long time because I always have to make everything harder than it is. But If your just learning or want them perfect then yes it would take me that amount of time for that many twists.

I did some tonight (see avatar). It only took me an hour and that's because I was watching tv and kept stopping to flip the channel. I washed and braided my hair last night. So tonight I took the braids out, parted my hair with my fingers, applied hydrasoft followed by whipped gelly and then twisted my hair. Right now it is pretty much dry and that was about an hour ago. When I first started, it took a long time but not anymore. I have about 40 in my hair as well. Q

Nonie that made me feel a lot better, I'm determined to keep my hair in twists under a wig for most of the year but spending so long twisting is killing me...literally! My arms hurt so bad once I was done I started to wonder if I was the only one with the same problem. Juliagizzle I put my hair in the 2 strand twists. Since I wear them under wigs they aren't perfect, I just make sure they are tight enough to not unravel and last as long as possible.

I did some tonight (see avatar). It only took me an hour and that's because I was watching tv and kept stopping to flip the channel. I washed and braided my hair last night. So tonight I took the braids out, parted my hair with my fingers, applied hydrasoft followed by whipped gelly and then twisted my hair. Right now it is pretty much dry and that was about an hour ago. When I first started, it took a long time but not anymore. I have about 40 in my hair as well. Q

Your twists look really good! So far it seems like once I get more comfortable with twists it will take me less time. I would love for it to take 40 minutes, right now I can watch an entire movie while twisting my hair and even then I'm usually only close to being done.

I take between an hour and an hour and a half. One thing that I have found that really reduces the time, is washing my hair while they are in twist, and just taking out small sections and retwisting them.

Your twists look really good! So far it seems like once I get more comfortable with twists it will take me less time. I would love for it to take 40 minutes, right now I can watch an entire movie while twisting my hair and even then I'm usually only close to being done.

Thanks. Yeah you will get faster with more practice. I was just like you but now, if I buckle down and not play around, I can do them in about 30 minutes. Q

I take between an hour and an hour and a half. One thing that I have found that really reduces the time, is washing my hair while they are in twist, and just taking out small sections and retwisting them.

That's such a good idea, I'm going to try that the next time I wash. I didn't even think about that to try to cut down on time.

For me it depends on the size. But a set of large twists takes me about an hour, a set of smallish/medium size that I normally wear take 3 hours. I don't mind though, because I keep them in for at least 2 weeks and have been known to rock 'em for up to 6. Washing while in twists is a great idea (I don't wash any other way. Saves hair and frustration.)

i have a twa and since i do them small, it takes me 2.5 hours to 3. once my hair gets longer it will take about an hour depending on the size. i do my once a week as well.

It depends on the size and how detangled my hair is. But my record for small twists (around 70) is an hour and 15 minutes. My hair was totally detangled and blow dried, though, and I don't do a lot of parting. If my hair is really a tangly mess, it can take me up to 3 hours. For bigger ones like 40 or less, even if my hair is tangly it takes no longer than 1 1/2 hrs. Detangled and blow dried hair will take half that time. But I've had years of practice.

Wow I feel pretty slow. I really don't know exactly how long it takes, but I think about 2-3 hours. The problem is that my 2 year old always needs something, so I have to stop and get him this or that.

Definitely depends on the size for me.

Giant twist-out twists not fit for outside the house - 30 minutes.

Thumbsized twists, about an hour and a half.

Pencil size - 2 maybe 2 1/2 hours.

If I'm going for perfect parts, about 3-3 1/2 hours.

I do the twist on my 5 year old and it take me about 2-3 hours. I dont know if this is because she is always moving or if I am just slow but the outcome is worth it!

I feel so much better, now I think because I have a TWA and so many twists on top of still learning what I'm doing that my time is pretty average. The first time I did twists it took almost 3 hours and you could tell where I started to get tired because my twists started to get bigger until the last one was a huge braid! LOL!

I tried to co-wash my hair with the twists in and it was a tangled mess when I took them out a few days later. My twists look good for only 2-3 days (unless I use Mixed Chicks leave in - then they last about 4-5 days), the ones at the crown go first - and I can't stand it to not look neat. I estimate 80-90 twists is what I do on average (I've never counted before) and it takes me 2 hours. If I'm reading something on the web, or watching a movie I speed right through.

I only twist my hair after its been wet and use a spritzer w/aloe, water, b.castor oil, & glycerin when it starts to dry out.

Its ok, don't get discouraged - you will get the hang of it. I'm trying to learn to corn roll so I know how you feel

my hair is BSL and thick and it takes me at best 3-4 hours. I have to do mine small because they unravel when they're large.

It takes me 30-60 minutes, I've gotten quite good at it. Plus, my hair is short.

Attachments

• december 2008.jpg
    december 2008.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 71
Ok, so now this thread made ME feel bad! OP, even my FIRST set of twists with my TWA took me like 3 hours,... Its only gotten longer (not shorter) since!

It takes me like 6+ hours... Maybe I am doing something wrong? I don't feel like my twists are very long. I don't part them either, just grab and twist.

I guess I am certainly NOT the norm, :lachen:

I have carpal tunnel, so it takes me forever! :ohwell: J/K. It takes about 1.5 hours because my flat twist skills are still at beginner level.:rolleyes:

Back