Naturals that Straighten...

Thanks so much for starting this thread. My daughter is a 4A and today is wash day for her. I surely didn't know how I was going to dry her hair.

What is even more ironic is that I bought a new dryer today with a diffuser for me to do my wash and wears this winter. Little did I know I would put the concentrator to use as well.

Going to watch your video. I just may get out the pressing comb....
You're welcome Pam Pam...your little pumpkin is adorable!:yep:

I think my problem is first getting up and exercising, other problem is finding good conditioners and shampoos for my hair. I really love the paul mitchell super skinny line, silke elements relaxer, but really havent' found a good deep conditioner.
I'm a big fan of Aveda products; When I first went natural my hair was a dried-out desert. And Aveda Damage Remedy turned my hair around.

Ms. Loulou-I'm curious. Are the results you posted after your tried blowdrying with the tension method or the finished product of TM + flat iron?

I only blow dried it with the tension method since I was getting kinky twists the next morning. I used Motions Heat protectant and Chi Silk Infusion.

You're welcome chica! PinkSkates PinCurls:
1. I begin with dry hair and I apply a teeny-tiny drop of Aveda Phomollient Mousse (this is important to add a little wet product, your hair drying in the pins is key to pretty bouncy curls) I like Aveda mousse because it really does construct curls.

2. Divide my hair into small-ish sections, but be careful how you do it. i use small square sections, and about three layers (top, middle, bottom) because when you're done, your hair will stay in those sections unless you brush it out. ***this is also why you want to make sure that you have your hair parted exactly where you'll want it when you take the pins out.***

3. Carefully take the section of hair and wrap it up using your finger into a coil, be sure not to twist it. Keep wrapping until you reach your scalp, then press the coil flat into your head and pin it with a bobby pin. If it doesn't fit in one pin, I add another in an X. Or If I'm not in a hurry, i do over and use less hair.

4. Once my whole head is done, I wait until my hair dries. If I'm going to bed, i wrap a scarf carefully around my entire head (i use a silk one to minimize pulling) and I try to sleep carefully...:spinning:

5. When it's time to take the curls out, i gently pull the pins out and let the curls fall on their own. Then I gently finger comb and lightly spray with one spritz of Loreal Elnett Silk hair spray and one spritz of Aveda Air Control, its a dry hair spray. I'm left with pretty, bouncy curls all day. And on day 2 I have loose, silky body waves.:yep:

Thank you so much for replying pink, and thanks for going into detail on your technique and Products. i will be trying this on tuesday after my next hair wash :grin:.will let you all know how it turns out

It's healthy straightening methods but I also find it more than coincidental that youtuber str8isis adds EVCO to her overnight pre-poo (as do I) to aid in reverting back to her natural texture after a relaxer straight press and your an EVCO believer. Being that it's one of the proven penetrating oils, has an affinity to hair proteins and is known to add strength, I think it should be a definite staple for naturals that straighten... I thought I was the only one using it to moisturize!!

Thank you Pinkskates for sharing this wealth of knowledge.

I read thru the entire thread, hopefully I'm not duplicating a question. I'm assuming that you use high heat while using the tension method and then you finish up on cool to seal the cuticles -is that correct?
If you are using high heat, how do you avoid burning your fingers as we dry the ends of our hair?

TIA

Thank you Pinkskates for sharing this wealth of knowledge.

I read thru the entire thread, hopefully I'm not duplicating a question. I'm assuming that you use high heat while using the tension method and then you finish up on cool to seal the cuticles -is that correct?
If you are using high heat, how do you avoid burning your fingers as we dry the ends of our hair?

TIA
You're welcome chica!...okay, yeah I do put it on high when I start and finish on cool . I avoid burning my fingers because I keep the blow dryer MOVING up and down my hair shaft and I hold my dryer a good 6 inches from my hair. So the heat does not have a chance to burn my skin and "dry-out" my hair.
I will make a video and dedicate an article to the art of blow-drying "our" hair on my webzine next month. The littlest things makes all the difference when handling your hair.:yep:

Thanks Pinkskates for coming up with this thread, but I'd like to know - do you ever come across your scalp becoming dry while blow drying/flat ironing/pressing your hair? Every time I do these - the scalp on the front of my head is DRY which leads to breakage! :( Any remedies? You did say oiling the scalp is bad and I haven't been doing that...

Thanks Pinkskates for coming up with this thread, but I'd like to know - do you ever come across your scalp becoming dry while blow drying/flat ironing/pressing your hair? Every time I do these - the scalp on the front of my head is DRY which leads to breakage! :( Any remedies? You did say oiling the scalp is bad and I haven't been doing that...
You're welcome chica!
My hairline tends to get dry because of my facial cleanser coming into contact with it. I apply EVCO to my hairline to fight the dryness and EVCO keeps my hairline smooth also. Oiling the scalp is not necessarily bad for the scalp; depending on what you're oiling it with. Natural oils such as EVCO and Vitamin E oils are fine for the scalp because those oils will easily absorb into the scalp. When the rest of my scalp gets dry which is not too often, I simply apply a dab of EVCO or Vitamin E oil and go about my merry way. Flat ironing and pressing the hair has nothing to do with your scalp being dry. You may want to consider your overall health and your daily consumption of water. Your scalp has to be nourished from the inside out!:yep:

Yay me! I just made it through all 23 pages of this post. I did half last night & I just finished the other half. Whooo...what good information this is. I posted not too long ago about going back to relaxers & then I even considered a BKT. But after this thread, I definitely am going to give my natural hair a chance - a straight chance, that is. I kept seeing this thread but b/c of all the pages I didn't want to read it. Boy, am I glad that I changed my mind.

Pink, thanks so much 4 starting this! You, your hair & let's not forget your body are an inspiration to most.

I, have a question (or 2) for you. Do you ever go to a salon for services or are you prettymuch self styled to include trims?

Also, out of curiousity, how long has it taken you to get to waistlength?

Oh no, i luv LHCF too much to leave.:yep:
It's just that my new hair album will include my entire hair journey. And I don't plan on making anymore Hair fotki albums after that. It's very time consuming maintaining a fotki and answering all of the emails. I have 23 email questions right now that I have not had a chance to respond to.:spinning:
So...i'm gonna do my best to sum up everything in my January '09 album.
My hair is approaching waist length and that is my final hair goal; so after this album I wont have a reason to do any more hair length updates.

So will you maintain at WL? If not, we'll need to see more pics. :grin:

Yay me! I just made it through all 23 pages of this post. I did half last night & I just finished the other half. Whooo...what good information this is. I posted not too long ago about going back to relaxers & then I even considered a BKT. But after this thread, I definitely am going to give my natural hair a chance - a straight chance, that is. I kept seeing this thread but b/c of all the pages I didn't want to read it. Boy, am I glad that I changed my mind.

Pink, thanks so much 4 starting this! You, your hair & let's not forget your body are an inspiration to most.

I, have a question (or 2) for you. Do you ever go to a salon for services or are you prettymuch self styled to include trims?

Also, out of curiousity, how long has it taken you to get to waistlength?

So will you maintain at WL? If not, we'll need to see more pics. :grin:
Awwww...thank u for that sweet compliment:grin:; and you're welcome chica!
No, I am a complete DIY'er. The last time I went to a salon for hair services was 2000.
I don't know if I'm WL yet. My hair has been in its natural state since 9/1/08. It was an inch past MBL the last time I straightened. I'm getting ready to straighten my hair this week so I can complete my hair diary.
When I post my updated webzine you can view my hair journey from 2001 to present.
If I have reached WL straightened, I will maintain my hair at that length.
I'm only 5'5", so anything past WL...and I'll start to look like "Cousin It":eek:
I'm glad you decided to give your natural hair a "straight chance".
There will be some good info for naturals who straighten their hair on my site.:yep:

Hi!:wave:

I'm not natural but texlaxed and my hair shrinks to 50% of its length or more if I don't straighten it. Hopefully pinkskates or someone can help me figure something out.

I've straightened my hair with an electrical comb (after blow drying) from Sally's and a ceramic iron. I thought I was losing my mind when I straightened with the hot comb by myself for the first time ever but my hair was like 2 inches shorter:blush:! I loved it because it was the first time in years I could get a comb through it. It was straight but slightly kinkyish with a lot more body, which I like. I just wasn't feeling the length

I just straightened after blow drying with my ceramic iron and to my relief it was back to its longer length.

I've been watching this thread because it so inspirational and as far as I know, I believe I used the right technique (flipping the hand and all that:nono:). Is my hair funny, is the pressing iron no good, or am I in denial about my "techinque":look:?

thanks in advance :)

Hi!:wave:

I'm not natural but texlaxed and my hair shrinks to 50% of its length or more if I don't straighten it. Hopefully pinkskates or someone can help me figure something out.

I've straightened my hair with an electrical comb (after blow drying) from Sally's and a ceramic iron. I thought I was losing my mind when I straightened with the hot comb by myself for the first time ever but my hair was like 2 inches shorter:blush:! I loved it because it was the first time in years I could get a comb through it. It was straight but slightly kinkyish with a lot more body, which I like. I just wasn't feeling the length

I just straightened after blow drying with my ceramic iron and to my relief it was back to its longer length.

I've been watching this thread because it so inspirational and as far as I know, I believe I used the right technique (flipping the hand and all that:nono:). Is my hair funny, is the pressing iron no good, or am I in denial about my "techinque":look:?

thanks in advance :)
Hi africa,
maybe one of the relaxed ladies will have some advice for you.
When I created this thread I was giving advice from a natural perspective.
My definition of natural being hair that is 100% free of chemicals.
If I had chemicals in my hair I would never put a hot comb any where near my chemically-altered hair.:nono:
It is a bad combination.
I hope you find a solution to your problem. I wish you the best with your hair goals.

Hi africa,
maybe one of the relaxed ladies will have some advice for you.
When I created this thread I was giving advice from a natural perspective.
My definition of natural being hair that is 100% free of chemicals.
If I had chemicals in my hair I would never put a hot comb any where near my chemically-altered hair.:nono:
It is a bad combination.
I hope you find a solution to your problem. I wish you the best with your hair goals.

Oh I see...Thanks for responding anyway :)!

Hi Ladies

I have been natural for 3 years!!! Definitely considered going back to relaxer, but don't want the chemicals. I love this site. I have questions...
When I wash my hair, some of it, about 3" stay straight. I believe the flat irons at the shop must be killing my hair. I know all my relaxer is out because I had my hair cut several times. I am now trying to take care of it myself. Washing and the whole 9....

I love to wear my hair naturally in the summer, but sometimes it looks a mess because of the straight pieces...what do you ladies advice. Should start cutting more often to rid of the straight pieces? I think that if I still flat iron, my hair will began getting straight spots again. Also, if you ladies wat a serious cut, do you go to the shop and get it cut and then take care of it yourself.

Thanks Sisters!
NaeS

Hi Ladies

I have been natural for 3 years!!! Definitely considered going back to relaxer, but don't want the chemicals. I love this site. I have questions...
When I wash my hair, some of it, about 3" stay straight. I believe the flat irons at the shop must be killing my hair. I know all my relaxer is out because I had my hair cut several times. I am now trying to take care of it myself. Washing and the whole 9....

I love to wear my hair naturally in the summer, but sometimes it looks a mess because of the straight pieces...what do you ladies advice. Should start cutting more often to rid of the straight pieces? I think that if I still flat iron, my hair will began getting straight spots again. Also, if you ladies want a serious cut, do you go to the shop and get it cut and then take care of it yourself.
Thanks Sisters!
NaeS
Those 3 straight inches that won't revert back are damaged.
You simply need to cut them off. It will grow back.:yep:
The flat iron is not killing your ends, it's the person applying the heat to your hair. Ask yourself, ...Am I DC'ing enough? Am I using heat or abusing heat? Am I applying moisture to my ends and sealing it in?...
If you want to use heat on a regular basis, then you have to develop a hair care regimen that will protect your hair from heat usage. And keep your hair strands strong so they can withstand the direct heat.
Learn good hair-straightening technique and take very, very good care of your hair.
When I want a serious cut, I call my friend who is a master at cutting hair. But my daily hair care regimen and trims I do myself.

Oh Mighty Pinkskates full of knowledge, we are not worthy :notworthy

OK I just had a few questions for you. I'm at the point where its too cold to wash n go here in Boston and I really feel like my hair wants a break and I'm going to straighten my hair more often - once a week and keep it that way. My question to you is, did you always straighten your hair? Do you feel that alternating between wet and dry styles helped your hair flourish?

The reason why I'm asking is because sometimes I wonder what kind of damage I could potentially encounter by applying gel on a daily basis. I also noticed some breakage on the hairline, nothing to be alarmed about but I'm trying to figure out if it had anything to do with manipulating wet hair on a daily basis. Its one of those things where you can't notice until you straighten. BTW I do deep condition, take good care of my hair, I am careful with heat, etc...

My other question is how often do you wear your hair straight? Every day? A few days a week? Once a month?

Thanks again in advance and I really appreciate you taking the time to answer all of our questions. I'm sure you never thought this would turn into such a huge thread.

Last edited:
do your roots revert?
Yes my roots revert.

Oh Mighty Pinkskates full of knowledge, we are not worthy :notworthy

OK I just had a few questions for you. I'm at the point where its too cold to wash n go here in Boston and I really feel like my hair wants a break and I'm going to straighten my hair more often - once a week and keep it that way. My question to you is, did you always straighten your hair? Yes. Do you feel that alternating between wet and dry styles helped your hair flourish? Yes and I love the variety. I like having a meeting with business associates on Monday and my hair is in its natural shrunken state. And the next day they see me and my hair is straight and swinging down my back. It makes me feel so good every time I get the compliment..."i wish my hair could do that...":grin:

The reason why I'm asking is because sometimes I wonder what kind of damage I could potentially encounter by applying gel on a daily basis. I also noticed some breakage on the hairline, nothing to be alarmed about but I'm trying to figure out if it had anything to do with manipulating wet hair on a daily basis. Its one of those things where you can't notice until you straighten. BTW I do deep condition, take good care of my hair, I am careful with heat, etc...

My other question is how often do you wear your hair straight? Every day? A few days a week? Once a month? Normally I straighten twice a month. During the summer months I wear natural styles or do blow outs and wear Diana Ross big-hair.

Thanks again in advance and I really appreciate you taking the time to answer all of our questions. I'm sure you never thought this would turn into such a huge thread.

I just ordered a pressing comb. The real kind, the kind you put on fire. That's the only kind I'm comfortable in my knowledge of. I ordered the coarsest one. The one problem? I have an electric stove. I guess i could buy one of those hair dresser's stoves, but those things are expensive. I'm thinking of actually getting one of those little portable stoves you use with a can of butane. Bonus? In case of actual emergency, I can cook for a bit.

I'm about to go buy a pressing comb now too. I did the tension method and flat ironed and it came out okay. I have another natural friend who says nothing straightens her hair like a press and flat irons don't come close so I think this may be my issue too lol. I guess I don't have the technique for flat irons down yet. I only know how to flat iron relaxed hair

I just ordered a pressing comb. The real kind, the kind you put on fire. That's the only kind I'm comfortable in my knowledge of. I ordered the coarsest one. The one problem? I have an electric stove. I guess i could buy one of those hair dresser's stoves, but those things are expensive. I'm thinking of actually getting one of those little portable stoves you use with a can of butane. Bonus? In case of actual emergency, I can cook for a bit.

:lachen:at the bold!
The salon-quality ones have come down a lot; they're not expensive like they used to be. I just purchased the new Elite wide-mouth stove and Elite Heat Tester and spent less than $300.00

I have a jilbere toumaline ceramic flat iron. I straightened my hair late last year it was a slight press (the kind that looks like it was blowdried) maybe 2 days later i noticed my hair ends were breaking off in bits nothing major evertime i touched them. Since i didn't get it too straight i couldn't pass a comb through it so I know it wasn't caused by combing. But as soon as i conditioner washed 2 days later and went back to wearing it in its natural state the random breakage was no more. Anyone else experience this. I used oyin burnt sugar to press it didn't feel dry to me but im not sure what happened any suggestions comments? I would like feedback because im really interested in pressing my hair again but this time not having it look like i blowdried but actually flat. I

:lachen:at the bold!
The salon-quality ones have come down a lot; they're not expensive like they used to be. I just purchased the new Elite wide-mouth stove and Elite Heat Tester and spent less than $300.00

Sry if this is a dumb question, but assuming that the heat tester tells you whether or not the comb is too hot, just exactly how does it do that? TIA...

Sry if this is a dumb question, but assuming that the heat tester tells you whether or not the comb is too hot, just exactly how does it do that? TIA...

The heat tester gives a reliable temperature range when you press the hot comb on the heat tester's base. There are10 LED lights to indicate heat range...low, medium, high and super high. This let's me determine
the exact temperature needed to straighten my hair.

Back