Naturals that Straighten...

I straightend my hair 2 days ago.

I'm still in shock but it did not revert this time.
The tention method works (even though I wasnt sure at the time)

Here is my new question...

What do you do for body?

My hair is just, there
no body, no curl, no life, thin
I put in some plastic rollers over night but none of the curl held

I'm not sure If i used too much ORS?
(I only used ORS and added some EVCO the next day)
my hair doesnt like the heat?
did my hair not like something else?

how do you ladies style your hair when it's pressed?

Attachments

• dec press_IMG_6146sm.jpg
    dec press_IMG_6146sm.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 88
Hi LW... I'm on my crackberry right now. When I get home I'll give you a detailed answer. I am xmas shopping as I text this, and there is a lady in line that is about to drive me to a low level violence on her!

Hi LW... I'm on my crackberry right now. When I get home I'll give you a detailed answer. I am xmas shopping as I text this, and there is a lady in line that is about to drive me to a low level violence on her!

:lachen:Hammer - don't hurt em!!!! Sing a Christmas Hymn!!!!:lachen:

Just wanted to mention. I started drying my hair with the tension method a couple of weeks ago after seeing another 4b natural doing it on a youtube video. I can't remember her name now. But anyway, it has helped me a lot in styling. It is so simple, I don't know why I never thought about doing it before. Btw though, my hair still does not ever get straight even with a flat iron, its always a kinky straight look, but it makes my braiding and twisting go faster when it is in that state.

Originally posted by samanthaJ.
:lachen:Hammer - don't hurt em!!!! Sing a Christmas Hymn!!!!:lachen:
SJ...this yellow-haired woman was really trying my patience, I thought we were gonna have to trade blows over the last pair of size 8 Jessica Simpson bad girl boots...but I got'em girl!:spinning:

Okay back to hair. My answers are in purple lwilliams1922.
Originally posted by lwilliams1922
I straightend my hair 2 days ago.

I'm still in shock but it did not revert this time.
The tention method works (even though I wasnt sure at the time)

Here is my new question...

What do you do for body?
First thing to remember with straightened natural hair...less is better if you want your hair to have a lot of body; go light on product usage. And you don't want to use heavy creamy products on straightend natural hair if you want it to have a lot of body. I only apply a dab of CHI silk infusion to each section of my hair before I press it. The body is amazing that my hair has.

My hair is just, there
no body, no curl, no life, thin
I put in some plastic rollers over night but none of the curl held
I pin curl my hair for a couple of hours or over night. I get very pretty curls that will eventually fall into loose waves. Here is a pic of my pressed hair on day 2 after being straightened.
hairshots12-14-2007136-1.jpg

I'm not sure If i used too much ORS?
(I only used ORS and added some EVCO the next day)
my hair doesnt like the heat?
did my hair not like something else?
You may be using too many products prior to straightening, or you have not found the right products for your hair type.

how do you ladies style your hair when it's pressed?
I pin curl, cross wrap or sometimes will use a curling iron if I'm in a hurry for curls. But I try not to use a curling iron too often, since I use a blow dryer and hot comb prior.

SJ...this yellow-haired woman was really trying my patience, I thought we were gonna have to trade blows over the last pair of size 8 Jessica Simpson bad girl boots...but I got'em girl!:spinning:

thanks!

I'll try less product when I do it again next month
tonight i will try some pin curls and see what happens

Pinkskates, thanks so much for all this info, i have tried everything and it work wonderfully well except the pin curling :perplexedis there a tutorial anywhere on how to pin curl? can you talk me thru it? i just dont really understand how to make curls with pins, or even what type of pins to use:ohwell: Thanks!

Pinkskates, thanks so much for all this info, i have tried everything and it work wonderfully well except the pin curling :perplexedis there a tutorial anywhere on how to pin curl? can you talk me thru it? i just dont really understand how to make curls with pins, or even what type of pins to use:ohwell: Thanks!

There was a thread on it, but since the search feature is down, I found some youtube videos for you. It's really easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIyokqxVWlo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCtK9r3rfqk&NR=1

Originally Posted by RENIBELL
You're welcome chica! PinkSkates PinCurls:
1. I begin with dry hair and I apply a teeny-tiny drop of Aveda Phomollient Mousse (this is important to add a little wet product, your hair drying in the pins is key to pretty bouncy curls) I like Aveda mousse because it really does construct curls.

2. Divide my hair into small-ish sections, but be careful how you do it. i use small square sections, and about three layers (top, middle, bottom) because when you're done, your hair will stay in those sections unless you brush it out. ***this is also why you want to make sure that you have your hair parted exactly where you'll want it when you take the pins out.***

3. Carefully take the section of hair and wrap it up using your finger into a coil, be sure not to twist it. Keep wrapping until you reach your scalp, then press the coil flat into your head and pin it with a bobby pin. If it doesn't fit in one pin, I add another in an X. Or If I'm not in a hurry, i do over and use less hair.

4. Once my whole head is done, I wait until my hair dries. If I'm going to bed, i wrap a scarf carefully around my entire head (i use a silk one to minimize pulling) and I try to sleep carefully...:spinning:

5. When it's time to take the curls out, i gently pull the pins out and let the curls fall on their own. Then I gently finger comb and lightly spray with one spritz of Loreal Elnett Silk hair spray and one spritz of Aveda Air Control, its a dry hair spray. I'm left with pretty, bouncy curls all day. And on day 2 I have loose, silky body waves.:yep:

You're welcome chica! PinkSkates PinCurls:
1. I begin with dry hair and I apply a teeny-tiny drop of Aveda Phomollient Mousse (this is important to add a little wet product, your hair drying in the pins is key to pretty bouncy curls) I like Aveda mousse because it really does construct curls.

2. Divide my hair into small-ish sections, but be careful how you do it. i use small square sections, and about three layers (top, middle, bottom) because when you're done, your hair will stay in those sections unless you brush it out. ***this is also why you want to make sure that you have your hair parted exactly where you'll want it when you take the pins out.***

3. Carefully take the section of hair and wrap it up using your finger into a coil, be sure not to twist it. Keep wrapping until you reach your scalp, then press the coil flat into your head and pin it with a bobby pin. If it doesn't fit in one pin, I add another in an X. Or If I'm not in a hurry, i do over and use less hair.

4. Once my whole head is done, I wait until my hair dries. If I'm going to bed, i wrap a scarf carefully around my entire head (i use a silk one to minimize pulling) and I try to sleep carefully...:spinning:

5. When it's time to take the curls out, i gently pull the pins out and let the curls fall on their own. Then I gently finger comb and lightly spray with one spritz of Loreal Elnett Silk hair spray and one spritz of Aveda Air Control, its a dry hair spray. I'm left with pretty, bouncy curls all day. And on day 2 I have loose, silky body waves.:yep:

:yep::yep:Graci' Bellisima! I am going to try this for Christmas Day.

i tried the tension method last night. i did not lose as much hair as i usually lose when i blow dry my hair. Also when i straightened it it was silky i don't know if it was the tension method or the products i used, but i LOVE my hair right now

Hey ladies... regarding the Sebastian Seamless Wood Comb. I contacted Sebastian, which is owned by Procter & Gamble, about the comb and this it the response: Now I know why no one can find it.:sad:

Dear Pink,

Thank you for contacting Procter and Gamble Professional Care Exclusive Lines.Unfortunately the combs were a promotional item they are no longer available.

To view additional information on our products please visit www.sebastianinspires.com
www.grahamwebb.com or www.wellausa.com

Best Regards,

Consumer and Professional Services
P&G Professional Care Exclusive Line
1-800-935-5273
[email protected]

Hey ladies... regarding the Sebastian Seamless Wood Comb. I contacted Sebastian, which is owned by Procter & Gamble, about the comb and this it the response: Now I know why no one can find it.:sad:

Dear Pink,

Thank you for contacting Procter and Gamble Professional Care Exclusive Lines.Unfortunately the combs were a promotional item they are no longer available.

To view additional information on our products please visit www.sebastianinspires.com
www.grahamwebb.com or www.wellausa.com

Best Regards,

Consumer and Professional Services
P&G Professional Care Exclusive Line
1-800-935-5273
[email protected]

Totally Sucking in a major way...........:nono::nono::ohwell:

Thanks Pink for Doing the legwork!:kiss:

THANK YOU Pinkskates, for starting this thread and being so thorough and informative with each response. Being natural since 2001, I am finding that I can never learn too much. I am going to start implementing many of your tips and techniques into my regimen.

THANK YOU Pinkskates, for starting this thread and being so thorough and informative with each response. Being natural since 2001, I am finding that I can never learn too much. I am going to start implementing many of your tips and techniques into my regimen.
Pinkskates is awesome:yep:

Thank you PinkSkates for this very valuable information.
I wanted to ask if you use Aveda Dry Remedy? I use most of the Aveda products you use and I would like your opinion. I would also like to know the hot combs you use and their sizes. I know you use Kizure but there are so many. From your pics we have similar textures so I know your comb recommendations will work.
Thanks again!

Originally Posted by carribean_dream
Originally posted by nappystorm
Pinkskates is awesome:yep:
You ladies are so very welcome! :kiss:
Originally posted by lynndiallo
Thank you PinkSkates for this very valuable information.
I wanted to ask if you use Aveda Dry Remedy? I use most of the Aveda products you use and I would like your opinion. I would also like to know the hot combs you use and their sizes. I know you use Kizure but there are so many. From your pics we have similar textures so I know your comb recommendations will work.
Thanks again!
Lynn, I have only tried the Conditioner in Dry Remedy. And my hair loved it a lot!:love3:
As a matter of fact I'm going to the Aveda store the day after Xmas and load up on products. I have not pressed my hair in 5 months and I'm so excited to do my hair for my January length update. So I will buy the full line of Dry Remedy. When I do my length update thread, I'll let you know how my hair responds...Hot combs: I use size "K54" for my hair length and the baby hot comb "KO small" for my edges.

Just wanted to mention. I started drying my hair with the tension method a couple of weeks ago after seeing another 4b natural doing it on a youtube video. I can't remember her name now. But anyway, it has helped me a lot in styling. It is so simple, I don't know why I never thought about doing it before. Btw though, my hair still does not ever get straight even with a flat iron, its always a kinky straight look, but it makes my braiding and twisting go faster when it is in that state.

I want to try this tension method soon and would love to see a video of someone doing it. Can you or someone else post a video? Thank you!!!

You ladies are so very welcome! :kiss:

Lynn, I have only tried the Conditioner in Dry Remedy. And my hair loved it a lot!:love3:
As a matter of fact I'm going to the Aveda store the day after Xmas and load up on products. I have not pressed my hair in 5 months and I'm so excited to do my hair for my January length update. So I will buy the full line of Dry Remedy. When I do my length update thread, I'll let you know how my hair responds...Hot combs: I use size "K54" for my hair length and the baby hot comb "KO small" for my edges.

I'm looking forward to your review and update, Merry Christmas!

Thank you so much Ms. Pink! :kiss:

I finally tried your TM and it worked so well. I still have to practice because my roots didn't get as straight as I wanted but it was a 100% improvement than my previous attempts and I lost minimal hair!

Last edited:

I finally tried your TM and it worked so well. I still have to practice because my roots didn't get as straight as I wanted but it was a 100% improvement than my previous attempts and I lost minimal hair!

:yawn:Good Job LouLou!!!! Beautiful Skin and Beautiful Hair mama!:yep::yep::yep:

Looks great!:yep:

Thi is a wonderful thrad, filled with useful information. My hair tngle lik crazy so I a going to try the tension method. What do you use to dc your hair for moisture? Also Im kinda new so what hair type do yo have? I think I am a 3c/4a.

Originally posted by ladycage
Thi is a wonderful thrad, filled with useful information. My hair tngle lik crazy so I a going to try the tension method. What do you use to dc your hair for moisture? Also Im kinda new so what hair type do yo have? I think I am a 3c/4a.
Hi ladyc...I DC weekly with Aveda Damage Remedy Hair Treatment. I Deep, Deep condition every 3-4 months with Aphogee. My hair type is 4A.
I give detailed instructions on how I blow dry in my fotki album using my tension/stretch method. The pw is in my profile. Good luck!

Originally Posted by loulou82

You are very welcome...and your hair is BEAUTIFUL! I love the way freshly straightened natural hair looks and feel. Your hair has this pretty lush/velvet sheen on it! You did an awesome job on your hair.:yep:
The end of next month, I will make a "PinkSkates Blow Dry Tension/Stretch" video and post it on my webzine.

Ms. Loulou-I'm curious. Are the results you posted after your tried blowdrying with the tension method or the finished product of TM + flat iron?

Thanks so much for starting this thread. My daughter is a 4A and today is wash day for her. I surely didn't know how I was going to dry her hair.

What is even more ironic is that I bought a new dryer today with a diffuser for me to do my wash and wears this winter. Little did I know I would put the concentrator to use as well.

Going to watch your video. I just may get out the pressing comb....

I think my problem is first getting up and exercising, other problem is finding good conditioners and shampoos for my hair. I really love the paul mitchell super skinny line, silke elements relaxer, but really havent' found a good deep conditioner.

Back