Naturals that Straighten...

Ummm Miss Pink. This is my second week using the tension method - love it. Notice that when I use cone ingredients heat protectors when I blow dry my hair, it makes it HARD. So now just put a tiny bit of MOM and Nexxuss Humectress and a bit of Sam's LBB on my 75% dry hair before I tension blow dry, and my oh my hair is soft as silk.

I then straighten and put SBM at the end of the process. So far so good. Thanks!

^^^Wow...Samantha I just noticed your picture, your hair looks so pretty and smooth! You did a great job!:yep:

Thanks mama!!!! - I am learning 'secrets' every day.... I just flat ironed the front of my hair ( cannot do the hot comb, mental BAD memories) and I took the TEEEENIEST parts, and VOILA.... Smooth silkyness....

I am ready for my Dec 20th Reveal!
:yep:

Originally posted by samanthajones67
Thanks mama!!!! - I am learning 'secrets' every day.... I just flat ironed the front of my hair ( cannot do the hot comb, mental BAD memories) and I took the TEEEENIEST parts, and VOILA.... Smooth silkyness....

See ladies this is the message I preach. It takes gathering good information & using the right products, with a dash of trial and error, + perfecting your technique = pretty, healthy natural hair that can be successfully straightened without damage!

I just ordered a hot comb today. I got the k27 medium.

any tips on stoves?

Can I use my own kitchen stove for a while till I find one?

Do you always DC with heat?

Do you have a photo of how you wrap your hair at night?

Pink, have you tried Sabino? I just got a bottle and I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it.

thanks again for all the info!

Pinkskates, I just wanted you to know that I used the tension method to stretch my hair before doing my twists, and I'm sold! I put the blowdryer on warm (so no scorching heat to damage my naps), and did my hair in about 10 sections. I'm telling you, when I was done drying it, I almost wore my hair like that, I liked it so much. :lachen: Usually when I blowdry, my hair puffs all up and stands straight out, but with your method, it was kinky, but it hung down and had some movement. That's the best of both worlds for me. :grin: I will definitely be using this method from now on. I'll probably straighten again next week, so I'll let you know how it goes.:yep:

Last edited:
See ladies this is the message I preach. It takes gathering good information & using the right products, with a dash of trial and error, + perfecting your technique = pretty, healthy natural hair that can be successfully straightened without damage!

:yep::yep:

Pinkskates, I just wanted you to know that I used the tension method to stretch my hair before doing my twists, and I'm sold! I put the blowdryer on warm (so no scorching heat to damage my naps), and did my hair in about 10 sections. I'm telling you, when I was done drying it, I almost wore my hair like that, I liked it so much. :lachen: Usually when I blowdry, my hair puffs all up and stands straight out, but with your method, it was kinky, but it hung down and had some movement. That's the best of both worlds for me. :grin: I will definitely be using this method from now on. I'll probably straighten again next week, so I'll let you know how it goes.:yep:

Using her tension method gave me that Rudy Huxtable hair, kinky, straight, but fluffy. I loved it!!!

Hi LW, my answers are in purple.
Originally posted by lwilliams1922
I just ordered a hot comb today. I got the k27 medium.

any tips on stoves?
I use the Challenger; I bought it from my local beauty supply.
Can I use my own kitchen stove for a while till I find one?
Absolutely. Just be sure to monitor the heat and test the hot comb before putting it any where near your hair.:yep:
Do you always DC with heat?
I DC weekly just by putting my shower cap on for 15 -30 minutes. I Deep, DC every 3 months with my hooded dryer.

Do you have a photo of how you wrap your hair at night?
I'm not sure, let me look through my photo album and check. If I do I will come back and post it here. I do the cross wrap because my hair is too long to wrap in one direction.

Pink, have you tried Sabino? I just got a bottle and I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it.
No I have not tried it. I have tried Bumble and Bumble's "Defrizz" and it has the same 2 forms of silicone ingredients as Sabino. And I liked it alot.

thanks again for all the info!
You're welcome! And please be CAREFUL when using a hot comb.:yep:
Originally Posted by Southernbella.
Awwww, I'm so glad it worked for you! When I'm bored with my silky pressed straight hair look, I will blow dry my hair out and wear it like that.
(at the bold) I feel the same way...because I get to see some length, have movement in my hair, with only having to use very little heat.
And your hair look so pretty in your siggy!

Well I guess it's my turn to ask a question...Is your blow dryer Ionic/Ceramic or any other crap that I really don't know exactly what it does for the hair? I saw the Kline dryer at TJ Maxx for 10 bucks, and I'm really tempted to buy it. Does it have a cool setting? I've been just blow drying my hair on cool lately. I have a Conair but it takes forever for me to dry my hair albeit the results are amazing. I'm just too lazy!

Originally posted by Libra08
Well I guess it's my turn to ask a question...Is your blow dryer Ionic/Ceramic or any other crap that I really don't know exactly what it does for the hair? I saw the Kline dryer at TJ Maxx for 10 bucks, and I'm really tempted to buy it. Does it have a cool setting? I've been just blow drying my hair on cool lately. I have a Conair but it takes forever for me to dry my hair albeit the results are amazing. I'm just too lazy!

You know what...I have an expensive Ionic blow dryer that I paid over $150 for, Because of the "Ionic Conditioning Airflow" and I have my cheapie KLINE blow dryer that I paid $25. And I get the same results with both.:ohwell: I try not to get too caught up in the fancy marketing terms...I think as long as your dryer has a wattage of at least 1800 it will dry your hair very quickly with the least amount of drying time. The important factor for me is using a Diffuser on the end of the dryer so to help prevent heat damage.

Hi everyone:

This is a very informative thread and I have learned a lot from it.
But, for anyone who wishes to answer- what is a hot sock and what does it do? Is it better than a concentrator nozzle or diffuser? Where can I get it?

Thanks!

You know what...I have an expensive Ionic blow dryer that I paid over $150 for, Because of the "Ionic Conditioning Airflow" and I have my cheapie KLINE blow dryer that I paid $25. And I get the same results with both.:ohwell: I try not to get too caught up in the fancy marketing terms...I think as long as your dryer has a wattage of at least 1800 it will dry your hair very quickly with the least amount of drying time. The important factor for me is using a Diffuser on the end of the dryer so to help prevent heat damage.

There were a few reports about this on TV....

I have a baybliss( Which is a fancy Conair)...But I almost bought a Chi Turbo......Glad I saved my money.:yep:

Hi everyone:

This is a very informative thread and I have learned a lot from it.
But, for anyone who wishes to answer- what is a hot sock and what does it do? Is it better than a concentrator nozzle or diffuser? Where can I get it?

Thanks!

A hot sock is a diffuser, and it helps to cut down Frizz....
They can be purchased off of Amazon..........

Just google....."hot sock"

Mods...can we make this a sticky?!?!?!?! very important information here! and it gives some good info, that yes, we can have healthy natural hair and still straighten! sticky it, please!!!

thank you Pinkskates (and everyone else who provided helpful info) in this thread. i was kinda under the impression that straightening my natural hair meant less growth, ugly/bad growth or lots of breakage. i know everyone is different and their hair has different requirements, but thank you so much for posting this other option!!!!

Oh knowledgeable and mighty Pinkskates LOL ...
I read a thread that explains how we shouldn't use oils as a heat protectant before flatironing because it will cause heat damage. What's your opinion? I was using coconut oil, but yesterday I purchased a Rusk heat protectant at Ulta's just in case.

OT...Ummmmmm....Boston. My last relaxer was in June 2006. So we both started with new heads of hair around the same time. I'm almost APL and you're BSL. GIRL.........STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT YOUR HAIR NOT GROWING!!!! (Looking at your avatar)

I'm just saying, there are some that are less fortunate than you. Like ME...:lachen:Okay, okay.....I'm "J" :lachen:Gorgeous hair girl!!! :yep:

Originally posted by wyldcurlz
Mods...can we make this a sticky?!?!?!?! very important information here! and it gives some good info, that yes, we can have healthy natural hair and still straighten! sticky it, please!!!

thank you Pinkskates (and everyone else who provided helpful info) in this thread. i was kinda under the impression that straightening my natural hair meant less growth, ugly/bad growth or lots of breakage. i know everyone is different and their hair has different requirements, but thank you so much for posting this other option!!!!
You're welcome chica!
Originally posted by lwiliams1922
does Sally's have them?
No, they do not carry them.

OT...Ummmmmm....Boston. My last relaxer was in June 2006. So we both started with new heads of hair around the same time. I'm almost APL and you're BSL. GIRL.........STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT YOUR HAIR NOT GROWING!!!! (Looking at your avatar)

I'm just saying, there are some that are less fortunate than you. Like ME...:lachen:Okay, okay.....I'm "J" :lachen:Gorgeous hair girl!!! :yep:

Ahaha! Thank you! Have I whined about it? Doh! Sorry! :lachen:
I didn't notice :spinning:

SamanthaJones, your hair looks great!!! Please post a picture when you do your whole head. By the way, that avatar has me LMAO but I'm not sure if you meant it to be funny LOL

Pinkskates, thank you for your response! No more coconut oil as a heat protectant anymore. I will try that brand you recommended once my Rusk is almost done. I need to go back 15 pages and read up on this tension method thing everyone is raving about BTW you should start your own "How to straighten natural hair" website and charge us $10 a month LOL

oh that was a joke, please don't charge us any money LMAO

SamanthaJones, your hair looks great!!! Please post a picture when you do your whole head. By the way, that avatar has me LMAO but I'm not sure if you meant it to be funny LOL

Pinkskates, thank you for your response! No more coconut oil as a heat protectant anymore. I will try that brand you recommended once my Rusk is almost done. I need to go back 15 pages and read up on this tension method thing everyone is raving about BTW you should start your own "How to straighten natural hair" website and charge us $10 a month LOL

oh that was a joke, please don't charge us any money LMAO
You're welcome chica!....hmmmmmm $10 per month! I was thinking more on the lines of $20!:lachen:just kidding, I have a website and its free. It's new and I'm still developing it. Address is www.healthybodyhealthyhair.net. On my hair page I actually link this thread because I was getting emails wanting this kind of information.
ETA: your baby is just too pretty and precious!

Last edited:
Umm your hair looks great Ms.Sam! :yep:

You're welcome chica!

No, they do not carry them.

Forgive me, but I just have to ask....:blush:

the sock diffuser. Could you just put something, say,...errr... a sock on the end of your dryer??

This community I live in now is not very ethnically diverse so I anticipate I wont be able to find it when i go out tomorrow.

i hate having to pay shipping charges more than or equal to the item I order, so i thought I would ask before i break down.

Last edited:

I can understand why you would think this way....I think many folks have had more negative than positive experiences with heat... and that is why many ladies ( including myself) stayed away...:yep: Having LHCF is a Godsend.....

Back