Naturals that Straighten...

First of all thank you Pinkskates for starting this thread....

I tried the tension blow drying method and ended up with a tangled mess. I really don't know what I did wrong.
I really want to stop being so dependant on the comb attachment but it's the only thing that will stretch my 4A/B hair. I also tried air drying my hair for a few minutes before blow-drying and ended up with the same tangled mess. :(

Ummm, Ms.Pink? I guess I got mixed up with what a Hot Sock is. I thought it was the attachment in your photo. Now I know it's a separate product. I am on the hunt for one. Any particular hair dryer you recommend. There are different wattages and ionic/non-ionic. Some costs an arm and a leg, others a coupla buck.

do tell pretty woman.

Hey sis.... I own a Baybliss.... Look in my Fotki.

Also... You can get a hot sock from Amazon.
I could not find one at sally's ( they have a scary Cheapo)

ETA:
BUT - You may find them at the "Fancy" BSS....Where they have fewer of "our" products.
I just found one in my fancy hood.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CenteredGirl
Ummm, Ms.Pink? I guess I got mixed up with what a Hot Sock is. I thought it was the attachment in your photo. Now I know it's a separate product. I am on the hunt for one. Any particular hair dryer you recommend. There are different wattages and ionic/non-ionic. Some costs an arm and a leg, others a coupla buck.

do tell pretty woman.

Hey CG...
There are so many good dryers out there; but please don't spend a small fortune on a hair dryer. Most $45.00 blow dryers with an 1800 wattage are just as good as a $200.00 blow dryer with 1875+ wattage. As with any other appliance, its all about your skills and technique. I bought my Hot Sock diffuser at my local beauty supply and it is an high-end one. If you don't find one at your beauty supply store you can find them on Amazon.com.

Originally posted by angaliquew
I tried the tension blow drying method and ended up with a tangled mess. I really don't know what I did wrong.
I really want to stop being so dependant on the comb attachment but it's the only thing that will stretch my 4A/B hair. I also tried air drying my hair for a few minutes before blow-drying and ended up with the same tangled mess. :(

I'm sorry it didn't workout for you. Was this your first time?
You have to make sure:
1. your hair is 150% detangled
2. Hold your hair at the very ends
3. Move the blow dryer as if its a comb form root to tip
4. Use some type of diffuser
5. Did you put any product on your hair before drying?
6. Dry hair in small sections
7. MAKE SURE YOUR HAIR IS 150% DETANGLED

Hey CG...
There are so many good dryers out there; but please don't spend a small fortune on a hair dryer. Most $45.00 blow dryers with an 1800 wattage are just as good as a $200.00 blow dryer with 1875+ wattage. As with any other appliance, its all about your skills and technique. I bought my Hot Sock diffuser at my local beauty supply and it is an high-end one. If you don't find one at your beauty supply store you can find them on Amazon.com.

You have to make sure:

Thanks...I think I probably should have detangled better and used a diffuser.

I plan on trying it again because I think it is a safer way to blow dry... I just have to do it when I have a little more patience.
The next time I try this I will have DH help me until I get the hang of it.

Pink,
sorry If I missed this somewhere but do you use anything to help smooth your hair while you detangle?

right now I'm using conditioner to detangle.

do you apply more EVCC every day when your hair is pressed?

thanks so much for posting this thread!

Originally posted by lwilliams1922
Pink,
sorry If I missed this somewhere but do you use anything to help smooth your hair while you detangle?

right now I'm using conditioner to detangle.

do you apply more EVCC every day when your hair is pressed?

thanks so much for posting this thread!

After I shampoo and rinse off my conditioner:
I spray on Aveda Brilliant Damage Control, first I detangle all my hair with my hands, then I part my hair in small sections, comb detangle very, very well, then I begin to blow dry the detangled section of hair.
I apply Extra Virgin Coconut Oil to my ends and hairline usually every other night and scarf down to keep my edges smooth.
...you're welcome.

Hey CG...

You have to make sure:

I have been using the concentrator attachment...should I use the diffuser instead or does it matter?

Thanks Pink and Sam. Off to amazon.com to get an HS. will get your suggested blow dryer too.

Lawd, does the PJ ever end. The sacrifices we make for beautiful, healthy hair.:look:

Thanks Pink and Sam. Off to amazon.com to get an HS. will get your suggested blow dryer too.

Lawd, does the PJ ever end. The sacrifices we make for beautiful, healthy hair.:look:

Teee heee... I bought the Hot Sock for 5 bucks. I would have bought you one - BUT this was the last one they had.....:drunk:

Originally posted by Muse
I have been using the concentrator attachment...should I use the diffuser instead or does it matter?

I use both. but if I had to choose, I would use a Diffuser because it's very gentle on my hair. It distributes the heat without being aggressive, which is perfect for drying fine, coloured, permed or naturally curly hair.
I also use a concentrator because it directs the airflow precisely, so the heat only goes where I aim the dryer; which keeps me from frying my hair.

Wow, great tips Pinkskates. I'm always looking for ways to improve my pressing methods:yep: I al so use Vitamin E oil for my hair.

Originally posted by rabs77
Wow, great tips Pinkskates. I'm always looking for ways to improve my pressing methods:yep: I al so use Vitamin E oil for my hair.

Thank U Rabs...you know what, Vitamin E oil is my second favorite natural oil behind EVCO. It's great for our hair and skin.
OT: And you look so "fly" (pun on word") flying that plane girl!
Go on with yo' bad self!:grin:

Hey Ladies here are my responses:

Ms.LaLa, I bought my wood comb from my local beauty supply, it's made by Sebastian.

You're welcome, below I give a better explanation and pic of my blow dry tension only method.

Thank U chica! I do roller set and dry with my Pibbs dryer. I shampoo weekly but I press my hair straight every other week. The week that I don't press I will do a blow out or roller set to give my hair a break form the hot comb.

Hey KB Below is my "tension only method". Weekly I DC with Aveda Damage Remedy Intensive Restructuring Treatment. Every 2 months I do a deep, deep condition with Aphogee. I use EVCO as a moisturizer. EVCO works so wonderful on my hair. It literally melts into my hair line, and ends. I highly recommend it. But you have to get the good stuff from your local health food store. Not that fake greasy stuff from a beauty supply store.
Tension Only Blow Dry Method + picture:
My friend is a hair dresser on a soap opera, and he taught me that this is best way to blow dry my type of hair with the least damaging effect. After I detangle, I stretch my hair out and as I blow dry I move the dryer up&down my hair as if I'm combing it. This way my hair will dry in a downward direction instead of outward. (I start at the roots and go all the way down to the ends) This creates smooth stretched out hair hanging in the direction I need it to for when I press it out. As I'm finishing up drying each section, I put my dryer on cool, so my hair cuticle will lay down smoothly and close up completely. This drying method lifts the roots up which creates more body in the hair.
As you dry be sure to keep a taut grip on the hair, so you get maximum stretch of the hair. From my experience this the least damaging way to blow dry and stretch the hair out.:yep:
PinkCam035.jpg

I have never successfully blow dried my own hair but I am going to try your tension method soon. This is great info.! Thank you.:grin:

Pinkskates...your hair...GIRL! :yawn::lick:

Let me just tell you that you are definitely one of my inspirations!

I am transitioning now and look at your page regularly for inspiration.:rolleyes:

And since I want to wear my hair straight from time to time, especially in the fall and winter, you prove it can be done without heat damage. Thanks girls! :look:

I used to use this method when my hair was shorter. Now I just let the press go to ruins and wash it on out. It is so hard to get all of this hair into a pony without doing a lot of combing. I hate to comb my hair dry. I may give it a try again.

You can try this too, I do this when I don't have a lot of time:

• Use a smoothing shampoo and conditioner (if you use shampoo.)
  • Detangle really well.
  • Apply a smoothing leave-in
  • Apply your heat protectant
  • Allow your hair to dry 50% instead of 100% on braids or whatever method allows your hair to remain tangle free
  • Apply a tiny amount of Chi silk infusion or Sabino Moisture block
  • Use small sections
  • Use a concentrator (I honestly find that my hair is smoother with an Ion/Tourmaline dryer than the cheap ones, but not everyone may agree.)
  • Hold the hair doing pinkskates method until it's almost dry
  • Take a round brush (preferable with vents) and hold in it the hair right beneath the area your are drying. Carefully move the brush down the hair until you get to the ends. You're not brushing the hair with it, you are shaping and smoothing. I find that the brush allows me to hold the hair tighter and gets my hair smoother.
  • Then if you flat iron, comb chase or use the Maxiglide.

You can try this too, I do this when I don't have a lot of time:

• Use a smoothing shampoo and conditioner (if you use shampoo.)
  • Detangle really well.
  • Apply a smoothing leave-in
  • Apply your heat protectant
  • Allow your hair to dry 50% instead of 100% on braids or whatever method allows your hair to remain tangle free
  • Apply a tiny amount of Chi silk infusion or Sabino Moisture block
  • Use small sections
  • Use a concentrator (I honestly find that my hair is smoother with an Ion/Tourmaline dryer than the cheap ones, but not everyone may agree.)
  • Hold the hair doing pinkskates method until it's almost dry
  • Take a round brush (preferable with vents) and hold in it the hair right beneath the area your are drying. Carefully move the brush down the hair until you get to the ends. You're not brushing the hair with it, you are shaping and smoothing. I find that the brush allows me to hold the hair tighter and gets my hair smoother.
  • Then if you flat iron, comb chase or use the Maxiglide.

Great tips! I agree really think a smoothing poo/conditioner helps out a lot. I did an experiment and used the tension method once after washing/cond with Joico products and once again after using Matrix Sleek Look and my hair was WAY smoother after using the Matrix poo/cond.

Oh yeah and Pinkskates I can't wait until you open your 'Hair Sequel' album in your fotki!

*tries to wait patiently*

Are still using AO poo and con? I have the HSR con but I heard a lot of people say the poo tangled and dried their hair out pretty bad. I never have good luck with natural shampoos, they feel more harsh than ones with sulfates! Go figure:ohwell:

How is the poo working for you?

Oh yeah and Pinkskates I can't wait until you open your 'Hair Sequel' album in your fotki!

*tries to wait patiently*

Are still using AO poo and con? I have the HSR con but I heard a lot of people say the poo tangled and dried their hair out pretty bad. I never have good luck with natural shampoos, they feel more harsh than ones with sulfates! Go figure:ohwell:

How is the poo working for you?
Hi Muse, I just completed my new fitness album, so now I'll start to build my new hair album. I'm trying my darnedest to reach waist length and I want to be able to reveal it in my new hair album.
No, I'm no longer using AO, I used it twice and it left my hair feeling dry and just blah! So I'm back using my Aveda shampoos and conditioners and my hair thanks me for it.

^^I'm not natural, but I plan to be and I find all the AO shampoos ive tried leave my hair a hard, tangled, mess. I tried them TWICE (White Camilla and HSR). The condish's are amazing, however. I wonder if they know they suck...

ETA: Pinkskates, have you ever strsightened your hair w a flat iron? When I was natural, I think my hair got silkier w a hard press and I can't remember well/why and was wondering if you could shed light on that..

Last edited:
Oh knowledgeable and mighty Pinkskates LOL ...
I read a thread that explains how we shouldn't use oils as a heat protectant before flatironing because it will cause heat damage. What's your opinion? I was using coconut oil, but yesterday I purchased a Rusk heat protectant at Ulta's just in case.

Last edited:
Originally posted by BostonMaria
Oh knowledgeable and mighty Pinkskates LOL ...
I read a thread that explains how we shouldn't use oils as a heat protectant before flatironing because it will cause heat damage. What's your opinion? I was using coconut oil, but yesterday I purchased a Rusk heat protectant at Ulta's just in case.

:lachen:...you so silly with your cute self! Yea I agree also, that it's just like frying your hair. I love my EVCO but its not a heat protectant.
I apply EVCO to my hairline after straightening and before I wrap my hair.
For my heat protection I rely on Aveda Damage Control.
Originally posted by tuffCOOKiE
^^I'm not natural, but I plan to be and I find all the AO shampoos ive tried leave my hair a hard, tangled, mess. I tried them TWICE (White Camilla and HSR). The condish's are amazing, however. I wonder if they know they suck...

ETA: Pinkskates, have you ever strsightened your hair w a flat iron? When I was natural, I think my hair got silkier w a hard press and I can't remember well/why and was wondering if you could shed light on that..
Yea I straighten with a flatiron sometimes, and I can get my hair silky straight, but not my hairline. I always have to go over my edges with my small hot comb after flat ironing.

Update....WOW! this was GREAT! - I only did one halfof my head though.... I was SOO tired.... and the roots were kinda nappy.....

Thanks PINK!!!!

Pinkskates I just want to say your tension method is the truth!!! It really helped smooth my hair out so I could flat iron. Thanks!!!

Originally posted by ajoyfuljoy
five stars on this thread!!!
Awwww... thanks so much!
Originally posted by TCatt86
Pinkskates I just want to say your tension method is the truth!!! It really helped smooth my hair out so I could flat iron. Thanks!!!
Thank you TCatt86, I'm happy it worked for you! It really does stretch the hair out without the harsh manipulation of a comb attachment. The blow dryer + comb attachment was never designed with our super fragile hair type in mind. That's why we have to be creative and make adjustments for our hair type.
Originally posted by samanthajones67
Update....WOW! this was GREAT! - I only did one halfof my head though.... I was SOO tired.... and the roots were kinda nappy.....

Thanks PINK!!!!
You're welcome! That's okay...our roots are supposed to be nappy; that's a good thing!:yep:

Awwww... thanks so much!

Thank you TCatt86, I'm happy it worked for you! It really does stretch the hair out without the harsh manipulation of a comb attachment. The blow dryer + comb attachment was never designed with our super fragile hair type in mind. That's why we have to be creative and make adjustments for our hair type.

You're welcome! That's okay...our roots are supposed to be nappy; that's a good thing!:yep:

Oh - Good! I thought I did something wrong!:yep:

Back