Naturals that BC'd how'd you know when it's time?

When I got to the point that I was about half relaxed and half natural, I started to feel like my relaxed ends were holding me back.

My natural hair seemed more healthy and I couldn't wait anymore to see what it would look like without the "dead weight" so to speak.

Before I was ready to BC, I was happy to hold onto the ends or length.
After I made up my mind to chop, the ends seemed like an annoyance standing between me and the new head of curly/kinky hair I envisioned lol

I transitioned b/c I wanted to have some length, but after a certain point I think I had a change of heart and the length aspect lost some of its importance.

Last edited:
I started transitioning around the same time as mummys girl, and I just couldn't take it anymore. My natural hair is extremely thick, and the relaxed hair looked extremely thin.

It reminded me of looking at a wet cat. All the fur sticking up and and you could see the body of the cat through all that fur.

It was getting to the point where the curls weren't looking the same. Thick luscious curls , next to a long thin end. Nice thick twist out, with a little runt of an end.

It was getting ridiculous. I just did a wash and go, and snipped off the dead relaxed ends. Looks much better.

ITA

by month 10 and 11 post relaxer, having the relaxed ends was like a teaser.

I wanted to try so many styles, braid outs, twists, bantu, etc but they always ended up looking a HAM :lachen: and I knew that my ends were ruining the party.

Some folks have great braids outs and such why transitioning, but I wasn't one of those people. I got tired of protective buns and straightening my hair - and I wanted to play/experiment with my natural locks :drunk:

I started transitioning around the same time as mummys girl, and I just couldn't take it anymore. My natural hair is extremely thick, and the relaxed hair looked extremely thin.

It reminded me of looking at a wet cat. All the fur sticking up and and you could see the body of the cat through all that fur.

It was getting to the point where the curls weren't looking the same. Thick luscious curls , next to a long thin end. Nice thick twist out, with a little runt of an end.

It was getting ridiculous. I just did a wash and go, and snipped off the dead relaxed ends. Looks much better.

my relaxed hair was long but i was just tired of it. it was limp and lifeless so one day i cut it all to sl. and then maybe 3 days later i went to a salon and got it cut down to an inch. i wish back then i would have known about just walking in barber shops.

my relaxed hair was long but i was just tired of it. it was limp and lifeless so one day i cut it all to sl. and then maybe 3 days later i went to a salon and got it cut down to an inch. i wish back then i would have known about just walking in barber shops.

Wow chebaby, and inch? You were pretty brave!

My SL length relaxed hair was beyond damaged so I decided to BC and start over. I walked into the Barber shop with hair and left with less than a TWA. I was Amber Rose bald and happy. I knew that my hair would grow back and it was a refreshing change when I finally embraced my natural hair.

I just done it today after about 7 weeks! I just don't have the patience or time to deal with two textures, so I knew this wouldn't last long! I just love how the water feels on my scalp! it feels so good!!!

I had about 3 inches of natural hair and 4 scraggles of permed hair left so it had to go. I did a self-cut at home. It was fun, but I had to adjust to not being able to see my hair without looking in the mirror.

When I got to the point that I was about half relaxed and half natural, I started to feel like my relaxed ends were holding me back.

My natural hair seemed more healthy and I couldn't wait anymore to see what it would look like without the "dead weight" so to speak.

Before I was ready to BC, I was happy to hold onto the ends or length.
After I made up my mind to chop, the ends seemed like an annoyance standing between me and the new head of curly/kinky hair I envisioned lol

I transitioned b/c I wanted to have some length, but after a certain point I think I had a change of heart and the length aspect lost some of its importance.

OH EM GEE! GET OUTTA MY HEAD!! YOU MUST BE MY TWIN B/C THOSE ARE MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!

I am starting to hate my relaxed hair (I'm at about 1/2 and 1/2). It feels synthetic and gross to me, if that makes any sense. :(

It makes sense to me. I know exactly what you mean...I felt that way about mine, too!

I just done it today after about 7 weeks! I just love how the water feels on my scalp! it feels so good!!!

congrats...and isn't that a GREAT feeling? That was the best feeling for me after I chopped (or should I say one of them) and I miss it sometimes.

OP, are we helping you with our stories? Great thread, btw. I'm sure it's helping a lot of people.

@ThePerfectScore....I didn't know you were transitioning. Your chop looks good.

when i couldn't imagine trying anymore styles with transitioning hair, and didn't want to attempt to detangle at all anymore.

when i starting getting sad, angry, and frustrated that i didn't have the ease of natural hair.

so i bc'ed today. ♥

When my relaxed hair started breaking, tangling and getting matted. After I took my crochet braids out and and saw what I had to deal with, I was like hell naw, Im cutting this mess off. I transitioned for 4 months.

when i couldn't imagine trying anymore styles with transitioning hair, and didn't want to attempt to detangle at all anymore.

when i starting getting sad, angry, and frustrated that i didn't have the ease of natural hair.

so i bc'ed today. ♥

Congrats on your BC! Your hair looks great!

It makes sense to me. I know exactly what you mean...I felt that way about mine, too!

congrats...and isn't that a GREAT feeling? That was the best feeling for me after I chopped (or should I say one of them) and I miss it sometimes.

OP, are we helping you with our stories? Great thread, btw. I'm sure it's helping a lot of people.

@ThePerfectScore....I didn't know you were transitioning. Your chop looks good.

Shortycocoa, yes you ladies are definitely helping me!! Thanks everyone for sharing your stories of how you all came to that decision. I'm kinda resisting the urge until I get more length and it's helping that my protective style is a sew in, so I can't really get to my hair and get scissor happy lol. My orginial goal was atleast 2 years, but I'm thinking of doing the BC by Dec of this year. It'll put me at 18 months post and I should have a good amount of growth by then. I'll keep you ladies posted!

so i bc'ed today. ♥

BTW, how long did you transition for?

My hair was about half natural / half relaxed around the 18-month mark, and I was beginning to suffer a ton of breakage at the line of demarcation ... so I couldn't wait to chop. Luckily for me, I had already planned to chop at 18 months, so it all worked out perfectly.

My relaxed hair was hanging on by a thread ... literally. :laugh:

090108BC02-vi.jpg

I BC'd at 12 months post. I'd wanted to go 12+, but I just got a feeling and went with it. On hindsight, I probably would have gone a little longer, as a year of natural hair turned out to be kinda short. But it grew fast, so no worries. Just go with your gut.

I had an anxiety at work thinking about all the stuff I had to do to get my hair just the way I like it over the weekend. I am not patient, so I had it all shaved off. I have many other reasons as well but that was got the ball rolling.

i knew it was time when i started taking scissors to my hair and my mom had to snatch them away from me and say go to a professional. idk what made me start cutting it, it was just a feeling. like when you walk into a room and you can tell what everyones mood. idk im weird!

Back