NATURALS: ROLLERSETTING Challenge!!!!!!!

I'll be rollersetting after church on Sunday. I'll try to post some pics on Monday 'cause Sunday is a very FULL day at our address.

I would join but I feel like I would be cheating. I already roller set my natural hair every week to reduce shrinkage and make it easier to comb. Good luck ladies.

I would join but I feel like I would be cheating. I already roller set my natural hair every week to reduce shrinkage and make it easier to comb. Good luck ladies.

It's not cheating just because you already do it. :) I'm sure you'd be welcomed. :yep:

Girl, it is not cheating. You are welcome to join. Maybe you can motivate us to rollerset every week:grin:

I need to learn how to do this. I just can't figure out how to roller set my natural hair. :nono: My relaxed hair was easier. How do you ladies do this?:blush:

I need to learn how to do this. I just can't figure out how to roller set my natural hair. :nono: My relaxed hair was easier. How do you ladies do this?:blush:

What parts are you having a problem with? I'll will try to help.

ETA: It is very important to thoroughly wet the hair and smooth it out and then lay it on the roller and lightly pull as you roll toward your scalp. This adds the tension needed to straighten the hair.

Last edited:
Ok so my rollerset lasted a week. I took a very hot steamy bath.....which I love to do, and the roots frizzed. Oh well. I was pretty happy with it. I may try again at the end of this week.

What parts are you having a problem with? I'll will try to help.

ETA: It is very important to thoroughly wet the hair and smooth it out and then lay it on the roller and lightly pull as you roll toward your scalp. This adds the tension needed to straighten the hair.

OK, I am trying to figure out how to section and roll my hair. I have a TWA that is getting close to a medium sized one. Also, do I have to put any setting lotion or styling foam on wet hair? Thank you for offering your assistance!:rosebud: Is anyone using the mohawk roller set method? Am I asking too many questions?:rolleyes::lachen: I am very excited at trying this because I think I need more variety with my hair.

Mandy your roller set is so pretty. Did you air dry or dry under a hood dryer?
Thank you so much sweetie! I dry under my Pibbs:grin:

Girl learning is part of the challenge. I will post some pics tonight of the kind of rollers I use. They really help me to get my Twa hair to stay on the roller.

Very pretty Mandy. You are very creative and versatile with your natural hair!:yep:
Thanks Pinkskates:grin:

OK, I am trying to figure out how to section and roll my hair. I have a TWA that is getting close to a medium sized one. Also, do I have to put any setting lotion or styling foam on wet hair? Thank you for offering your assistance!:rosebud: Is anyone using the mohawk roller set method? Am I asking too many questions?:rolleyes::lachen: I am very excited at trying this because I think I need more variety with my hair.
You are not asking to many questions...Thats what the thread is here for. I don't use the mohawk method, I think it is easier to use that method if your hair is longer...I don't know. I just start from the front and work my way to the back.

Welcome to the challenge!

I used curformers this past weekend. I loved the result but my set on lasted a few hours before the curls started dropping. I thought I could get away with just using some water and a little hairveda almond glaze. Next time i will try some elasta foam wrap lotion and water

Hey ladies here is my rollersetting process for today:

I DCed overnight with Banana Brulee, after rinsing a spritz my hair with Oyin Juices and Berries and applied a little coconut oil and then proceeded to rollersetting.
I am not able to use magnatic rollers yet because my hair is too short and it does not stay smoothly on the roller without the teeth to hold it (see below)

I used these rollers:

These are ok but they frizz up my hair a bit and they snug a bit too, but not too bad
DSC02777.jpg

I really like these ones, they give a good grip so my hair stays on the roller, they don't snug and they give a pretty smooth look. No frizz. I have to buy bigger ones soon though:yep:
DSC02778.jpg

Today I used both, just to compare the result
DSC02779.jpg

Here is the result...As you can see the very front is a bit frizzy and the rest is much smoother
DSC02780.jpg

I applied a bit more coconut oil, a tiny bit of qhemet Amla and olive heavy cream and a bit of sabino moisture block then I blew out the roots with a hot air brush...This is the result (this pic does not do my hair justice, It was very shiny, the flash ruined it:ohwell:)
DSC02792.jpg

I bantu knotted it up for the night...I was feeling tired by this time so I did the knots a bit bigger than I normally do. I will do a bantu knotout style in the morning
DSC02795.jpg

We will see what I can do with it tomorrow morning I will post pics if it turns out nice:grin:

I think I'm going to join, but I'm only going to rollerset on the weekends and bun the rest of the days, its still protective and my hair will be stretched...I just post a vid on how I do my rollersets...

Your set came out nicely, Mandy. How did the bantu knot-out turn out?
Thanks....thanks the Bantu knot out did not turn out good at all:nono:
I did them too big...I was really tired by the time I had to do them.
I knew I should have done them smaller.
:ohwell:Better results next time I guess.

Sorry ladies,

I'm ready to post pics in my post but simply cannot figure out how. Any assistance is highly appreciated. TIA.

E-

Sorry ladies,

I'm ready to post pics in my post but simply cannot figure out how. Any assistance is highly appreciated. TIA.

E-
Hey do you have a photobucket or fotki account? I can help you with adding pics to the thread if you have any of the two account. If you don't have photobucket or a fotki, then I think you can use the attach feature and add pictures from your computer. Please PM me if you need further help. I can try my best to help.

HTH

MY HAIR DRYER CAME IN TODAY! :trampolin:clap: My last rollerset style lasted 6 days! I can't wait to see how it comes out with my handy dandy dryer :grin:

MY HAIR DRYER CAME IN TODAY! :trampolin:clap: My last rollerset style lasted 6 days! I can't wait to see how it comes out with my handy dandy dryer :grin:

:dance7:

Congratulations on the purchase of your dryer. What kind is it?

Your rollersets are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!:lick:

Celebrating with Kblc :dance7:

so... does that mean we'll get more :Flahsssss :grin:

Hopefully, I plan on rollersetting today and testing it out :grin:

:dance7:

Congratulations on the purchase of your dryer. What kind is it?

Your rollersets are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!:lick:

I purchased it from salonsrus.com from the recommendation I got from SparklingFlame. She has uber-thick, BSL hair and says that it gets her hair dry in about 50 minutes. :yep:. It is very similar to the Pibbs dryer, but doesn't cost nearly as much

OMG..I soo wanna do this. I'll have to come back and read. Are there any tips for coily 4a's??? When I tried to rollerset, I couldn't get my hair to stay straight and wrap around the roller. :nono:

Just completed my 2nd rollerset ... sorry no pictures, I slept in the rollers and it was not a pretty picture.

This time I used Jane Carter Wrap and Roll with a little Kenra straight creme, it came out much softer...

OMG..I soo wanna do this. I'll have to come back and read. Are there any tips for coily 4a's??? When I tried to rollerset, I couldn't get my hair to stay straight and wrap around the roller. :nono:

I am a 4a, I make sure my hair is wet, then comb thru with my denman and then rat tail. After this I smooth it on the roller and pin!

Back