Naturals!!! Reactions/Comments from wearing your fro at work

kweenameena

Okay..so I got sooo tired of wearing my senegalese twists(they were about BSL) and I hadn't made an appointment to get my braids redone. Plus I've been missing my hair and I wanted a break. So today I wore a cute fro (with the front pulled back) today to work. So far, some people seem to be afraid to look at me, the guy across the hall said that he liked my haircut:ohwell:, and one of my female managers said that it was such a fun look:perplexed. It's still early in the day and my main manager (a clear guy) still hasn't seen me. And he was super shocked and curious when I got my twists so lawd knows what he'll think about my fro. There are natural sistas (mostly with locs) in our building (which is huge) but only one in my business unit and she has a twa so it draws no attention. So I feel a little like all eyes are on me and it makes me uncomfortable. Please share your experiences and how you overcame.

kweenameena,
Don't let other peoples reactions determine how you will present yourself to the world. You are a beautiful queen. When you looked at yourself this morning and you looked well groomed, clean, professional and presentable, then thats all the matters. People have said nice things about my fro and others have just looked in amazement (mostly sistas). You will find if you are accepting of you than others will have no choice but to get in line!

However, if you do encounter any racist comments dont let that shi! go. Document it, and report it to HR.
Peace love and hair grease!

kweenameena,
Don't let other peoples reactions determine how you will present yourself to the world. You are a beautiful queen. When you looked at yourself this morning and you looked well groomed, clean, professional and presentable, then thats all the matters. People have said nice things about my fro and others have just looked in amazement (mostly sistas). You will find if you are accepting of you than others will have no choice but to get in line!

However, if you do encounter any racist comments dont let that shi! go. Document it, and report it to HR.
Peace love and hair grease!

Awww, thanks!! I'm lovin my hair but I'm just hating the weird, cross-eyed looks. It's crazy!
Thank God I haven't gotten any racist comments yet.

Sometimes when people see the new and unexpected they are shocked. Some show acceptance and some turn their noses. Its human nature. Their reactions can be a indication of where they are in their lives spiritually. It also shows their acceptance of differences. Use this to your advantage! :yep: Pray for them.

THEY LOVE IT!

It was so weird walking into an office full of White people and getting so many compliments. I wore a braid-out and my hair isn't so much long, it's just full and BIG, so when I walked into the office, I made an almost instant statement....

Too bad I'm trying to hide my ends. They keep asking to see more styles like that....

Girl, focus on how you feel and live it up! I already shared how I wore my twists in two pigtails. Initially, the twists were wet and sorta hang down but by the time they dried, they were pointing up in every direction in a way I'd not have let a friend leave home looking. But I wasn't going to let anyone think it was a mistake. I walked about with my head held high. One of my bosses remarked that I looked like Pippi Longstocking. I smiled and said, "You got it!" like that's the look I was going for. I know if I had seen anyone with hair like that, I'd have wondered if they were mad. But you know, because I walked around like I was all that, no one made any negative comments and in fact, it seemed to grow on folks.

The next time I wore pigtails I cornrowed the ends of the twists so I had tidy looking pigtails and one black girl (not in my office) laughed at me asking me how old I thought I was, "16?" I didn't let her get to me either. Told her I really do feel 16 and I'm even told I look it so I'm only as old as I feel. She stopped laughing - meaning it wasn't that funny after all.

So wear that style again and accessorize it differently each time, but walk tall. And soon those who were not used to it will learn to appreciate it.

In case you never did see my pigtails, here you go.

And I already shared how I forgot my comb at home one day and did not realize I had until I had undone my square plaits using fingers. I walked around the office all day with uncombed hair and acted like I meant to do just that, and got a lot of praise for my "hair style". :lachen:(Tenacious, they must've thought I was trying to pull off your style. LOL)

Last edited:
Girl, focus on how you feel and live it up! I already shared how I wore my twists in two pigtails. Initially, the twists were wet and sorta hang down but by the time they dried, they were pointing up in every direction in a way I'd not have let a friend leave home looking. But I wasn't going to let anyone think it was a mistake. I walked about with my head held high. One of my bosses remarked that I looked like Pippi Longstocking. I smiled and said, "You got it!" like that's the look I was going for. I know if I had seen anyone with hair like that, I'd have wondered if they were mad. But you know, because I walked around like I was all that, no one made any negative comments and in fact, it seemed to grow on folks.

The next time I wore pigtails I cornrowed the ends of the twists so I had tidy looking pigtails and one black girl (not in my office) laughed at me asking me how old I thought I was, "16?" I didn't let her get to me either. Told her I really do feel 16 and I'm even told I look it so I'm only as old as I feel. She stopped laughing - meaning it wasn't that funny after all.

So wear that style again and accessorize it differently each time, but walk tall. And soon those who were not used to it will learn to appreciate it.

And I already shared how I forgot my comb at home one day and did not realize I had until I had undone my square plaits using fingers. I walked around the office all day with uncombed hair and acted like I meant to do just that, and got a lot of praise for my "hair style". :lachen:(Tenacious, they must've thought I was trying to pull off your style. LOL)

Cute story. I wish I could see the pics but they block them here so I'll see them when I get home. I'm planning and offsite meeting with my coworker. We'll my manager called us in his office to give him an update and he didn't look at me the whole time. I actually thought it was kinda funny. This yt IT guy came to my office and was like "Wow....you went old school!! I love it! You even teased it! Look at it!" And he just went on and on and on. funny:rolleyes:

You made me chuckle and smile ....so sweet to be natural and loving it :grin:

Everybody at my job liked my wash and go and then I started wearing it more. But I think it's more about confidence. People can tell when you're uncomfortable. Do you like it Kweena?

Ok so my main manager that I told you all was trippin off my twists just saw me in the hall.
He turned beet red, then he burst out laughing and asked me if I had been electrocuted.:look:

Laugh or shake it off Kweena. I remember taking a walk during my lunch break and actually seeing people break their necks turning around to look at me LOL. I always smiled big at them and waved.

Ok so my main manager that I told you all was trippin off my twists just saw me in the hall.
He turned beet red, then he burst out laughing and asked me if I had been electrocuted.:look:

Girl, laugh out loud too and tell him, no, it was more like seeing his face that made your hair stand up. Or ask him, how did he guess. Or just say out loud to no one in particular in a patronizing voice, it's a darn shame that you can have diversity while some people can't and just can't get with the program. Or you can tell him directly, "I didn't expect you to understand what you can't do even if you tried. You ain't seen nothing yet!" Then do some other NEW do tomorrow and go model for him. He'll get tired of cracking stale jokes when he sees they aren't touching you...and may end up becoming the joke himself around the office.

Sometimes people say things to wind you up but if you act like it means nothing to you, they get bored of being ignant.

Like the sistah I mentioned who laughed at me for wearing pigtails to work. She was doing it in a jeering way in front of many people. I just played along and bragged about how young I felt and looked, which shut her up. Plus everyone that overheard didn't look at me like I was crazy but seemed to kinda admire the do. And even if they didn't, who cares! I felt cute and that's all that matters.

Last edited:
The guy in the office that ALWAYS notices my hair LOVES IT :love:!!! He said he can't wait for it to get BIG...neither can I.

The receptionist was kinda confused about how it looks when it's straight and how it looks in a fro, but she said it doesn't look bad:ohwell: :lachen:

My boss never comments on my hair...so I don't know how he feels.

I love it! That's all that matters!!!

The guy in the office that ALWAYS notices my hair LOVES IT :love:!!! He said he can't wait for it to get BIG...neither can I.

The receptionist was kinda confused about how it looks when it's straight and how it looks in a fro, but she said it doesn't look bad:ohwell: :lachen:

My boss never comments on my hair...so I don't know how he feels.

I love it! That's all that matters!!![/quote]

The bold, I agree! Amen!

When I lived in Minnesota and wore my BIG A(I do have a gigantic fro when picked all the way out) fro to work, everyone loved it. Of course I was around 99% white folks. I worked at the Y, and a lot of the Black members who came in also loved it. Rock that fro!!!!!! Forget the other folks. That's their problem. They probably wish they could rock a fro.

Girl, laugh out loud too and tell him, no, it was more like seeing his face that made your hair stand up. Or ask him, how did he guess. Or just say out loud to no one in particular in a patronizing voice, it's a darn shame that you can have diversity while some people can't and just can't get with the program. Or you can tell him directly, "I didn't expect you to understand what you can't do even if you tried. You ain't seen nothing yet!" Then do some other NEW do tomorrow and go model for him. He'll get tired of cracking stale jokes when he sees they aren't touching you...and may end up becoming the joke himself around the office.

Sometimes people say things to wind you up but if you act like it means nothing to you, they get bored of being ignant.

Like the sistah I mentioned who laughed at me for wearing pigtails to work. She was doing it in a jeering way in front of many people. I just played along and bragged about how young I felt and looked, which shut her up. Plus everyone that overheard didn't look at me like I was crazy but seemed to kinda admire the do. And even if they didn't, who cares! I felt cute and that's all that matters.

Get em' Nonie!!!!I like that you don't let em; get to you,especially when you know they are trying really hard to:yep:.
I just lose it and start cussin a widdle bit:perplexed(i know it's wrong and unprofessional,but i like teh instant silence it brings).
..people get uncomfortable and shut up

Back