Naturals: How long was your hair when it started to grow Downward and not just Out?

goldenchica

So, I just BCd to a TWA after three years of relaxing. I initially relaxed when I was 17 because I had no idea that natural hair could be styled in any kind of mature/adult way:nono:. (I know, what a loss) Now that I'm back natural and realize that my hair is actually curly (3c):grin:, I realize that I can't in anyway use my past 17 years experience of being natural as a reference point because I had been doing everything just sooo wrong:wallbash:! So, I'm really, really wondering: at what point does natural hair weigh enough (you know, with conditioner and lots of conditioner, lol) to hang down and not look like a (cute) afro.

...I want to have non-afro hair by the time I graduate in 2 1/2 years!:yep:

Re: Naturals: How long was your hair when it started to grow Downward and not just Ou

lol i think afro hair will always look like afro hair no matter how long it gets.

Re: Naturals: How long was your hair when it started to grow Downward and not just Ou

:lol:
Yeah, what Napp said.

With a LOT of conditioner, my hair was hanging 'down' and I was still in a TWA. Remove the conditioner, though, and it was skyward again.

Right now, my hair 'flops', and that's only if I airdry in braids and take it loose afterwards. If I leave my hair be as it dries/loose *scared*, I've still got a upward shooting TWA. With lots of conditioner, it's - hanging, but it's still too much con for me to look cute in.

:lachen: That reminds me of a hair dream I had last night. :lachen:

We have different hair types, so it might not be the same - and even from people with your same hair type it won't be the same unless they also have the same thickness and density - so, truly, your best answer is going to be - wait & see. Once it starts hanging, you'll know how long it took. ;)

Still waiting on mine to hang :look::lachen:..................

Mine got to around a foot and it still went out if left to dry on its own. Twists or braids are another story, of course, but letting loose hair shrink up? As Napp said, it was still a 'fro.

I'm two years in and mine doesn't hang.

My natural hair even at its longest length (APL) has never grown down. I can put any amount of conditioner, leave in or moisturizer in it and it'll hang while wet but as soon as it begins to dry it goes right back out

I think we have the same hair type and I totally understand where you are coming from OP! When I first started on here I thought my hair was 4a/b, but now with the help of this board see that it is actually closer to 3c than I thought. I was just using the wrong products and trying to comb it out rather than letting the spirals/coils happen. I would say between shoulder length and apl (stretched) it will start to hang 'down' a bit. Mine is at shoulder length now and it is getting a little bit of hang time. The trick for me is to not use shampoo, only use conditioners to "wash" my hair, that advice was worth my $5 (or whatever it is here) for the rest of my life.

i don't get a huge fro and i'm a meager/humble apl... put it does go from east to west... a kinda mushroom triangle type shape, not exactly hanging down tho.But no i don't exactly get a fro unless i blow it out on cool air with a lot of teasing!

It depends on how much product I have in my hair, I'm BSL and my hair shrinks naturally up to my ears and it goes out. It hangs only when I oil it to death and twist it or braid it. So I would say I got decent hang time (with effort) at full neck length (below jaw length.)

The back of my hair hangs down but the rest is sky high!

I don't think mine will ever hang, it's light and fluffy cotton. If I let it dry in braids it would hang. But if I let it air dry, shrink city, no hang.

Mine wont hang unless it's soaking wet and loaded with conditioner

My hair started hanging downard around APL.

Yeah, my hair hangs way low with conditioner, but after rinsing - no more :nono:
Whatever... I don't care any more :drunk:

Thanks! You ladies were sooo helpful! I looove that my expectations are more realistic now ;)

with conditioner mine hangs....and grows downward and im 7 months post bc

Back