Naturals:Growing out a TWA

ichephren

Hello all, I've been a lurker for the past 6mths and I have a question for Naturals. How do I grow out my TWA and still look "pretty." I am active so hairstyles that prohibit frequent washings(at least twice a week) are pretty much out of the question, and I don't know if I can wear the brastrap headband look without causing traction alopecia. So, please if anyone has any ideas, do tell.

Hi!
wave.gif
i'm not natural but i have friends and relatives who do it well, therefore...:
1. even though long hair is most of our goal, you are pretty whether you have long hair or short. pretty is a state of mind! beautiful hair is a matter of health, not just length. whether i fit a certain standard or not, i know i am pretty because my God made me "very good"! pray and seek the Lord for some CONFIDENCE! who cares what these other people think is pretty???! in God's eyes
love.gif
i am a queen!
king.gif

2. regular condition washes moisturize your curls and maximize the beauty of your hair's curl pattern. see peachtree's link or do a search on condition washes for inspiration.
3. if coloring is an option for you, explore another haircolor that is flattering. see tracy for inspiration.
4. if you like makeup, accentuate your best feature.
5. hats, scarves, and accessories like glasses, jewelry, etc., are hotttt!
cool.gif
forgive me, but i love accessories, because hair doesn't always equal style or class!
6. eyebrows must be tight. beautifully arched brows wonderfully finish a face.
7. make sure you supplement with vitamins and eat and drink healthy (plenty of water and fresh fruits and veggies) because even BETTER than long hair to me are beautiful skin and teeth.
smile.gif
imho. and of course being beautiful inside.
8. exercise so that you're in good shape and your skin glows. pamper yourself too!
bath.gif

if you're doing all this, by the time your gorgeous natural hair grows out, you will be tight, the total package. oh btw visit nappturality.com for more info on natural hair. hth!
wave.gif

Hi, and welcome
wave.gif

I wore comb coils and finger coils until my hair was 2" long. Once my hair was at least 2" long, I started wearing two strand twists. These styles can last up to a month.

wow nissi i love the post that u made especially beautiful is a state of mind bit coz thats so true!!
smile.gif

When my hair was just 1 inch I just wore the twa like it was. Sometimes I would use cute clips in the front, because the headbands made my head hurt. Then when It got a little longer I started to practice my 2 strand twists. I have gotten good @ it, and that is the best style. The style keeps me from putting my hands in my hair, holds moisture when I rinse them in the shower, and keeps me from getting daily tangles. I redo mine every so I can shampoo, but the could last 2 weeks.

I wore twists, and I let a friend cornroll my hair when it was 4" all over. When I undid the twists it was a krimply look that was cute. But I would also use a soft headband and rock it like it was. The fro grows quick though, and you'll have to get maintenance cuts to keep it looking good.

I'm sorry to bother u, but how do u do finger coils and twists on short hair? I will be getting a short hair cut soon. :violin:

nissi said:
Hi!
wave.gif
i'm not natural but i have friends and relatives who do it well, therefore...:
1. even though long hair is most of our goal, you are pretty whether you have long hair or short. pretty is a state of mind! beautiful hair is a matter of health, not just length. whether i fit a certain standard or not, i know i am pretty because my God made me "very good"! pray and seek the Lord for some CONFIDENCE! who cares what these other people think is pretty???! in God's eyes
love.gif
i am a queen!
king.gif

2. regular condition washes moisturize your curls and maximize the beauty of your hair's curl pattern. see peachtree's link or do a search on condition washes for inspiration.
3. if coloring is an option for you, explore another haircolor that is flattering. see tracy for inspiration.
4. if you like makeup, accentuate your best feature.
5. hats, scarves, and accessories like glasses, jewelry, etc., are hotttt!
cool.gif
forgive me, but i love accessories, because hair doesn't always equal style or class!
6. eyebrows must be tight. beautifully arched brows wonderfully finish a face.
7. make sure you supplement with vitamins and eat and drink healthy (plenty of water and fresh fruits and veggies) because even BETTER than long hair to me are beautiful skin and teeth.
smile.gif
imho. and of course being beautiful inside.
8. exercise so that you're in good shape and your skin glows. pamper yourself too!
bath.gif

if you're doing all this, by the time your gorgeous natural hair grows out, you will be tight, the total package. oh btw visit nappturality.com for more info on natural hair. hth!
wave.gif
I'm so glad I read this OLD post! :clap: Very encouraging! :yep:

I'm growing out my twa again and I was originally going to use braids. However, today I kinda decided that I was going to grow my hair out without extensions. The very front of my hair line is very thin and I don't want to put any strain on my hairline at all. I've never worn tight extensions or even worn them frequently, but it's thinner nonetheless.

I'm gonna be doing the following instead:

1. comb coils
2. finger coils
3. slicking back deeply conditioned hair with curly custard and sitting under a dryer to set.
4. tiny two strand twists
5. wash and gos
6. freeform fros
7. slightly twisted fros (where you just finger twist certain sections for texture and shape)
8. using clips and decorative bobby pins with parts down the middle and sides.

I might use color pulse to add a few temporary highlights since my hair is BLACK HOLE BLACK (from Bigen in Oriental Black).

This post is old but I'm sure there are still a few folks who are growing out twas.

P1

Back