Rockin' A Tapered Twa! (gallery)

I'm loving tapered cuts right now, and am rocking a grown out cut now.
This is when I first got it cut
photo.php

And this is what it looks like now most days. Trying to decide if I wasn't to cut it even shorter than before or grow it out.
photo.php

I cut my hair into a taper because I loved the style that I had seen on others so much and ended up covering it with a hat the very next day. My hair looked nothing like the photos of other tapers I had seen, even for my texture. To this day I still haven't worn the taper out and I go back and forth between wanting to cut it all off, relax it and rock a cute pixie or hide it until my hair grows back to an even length.

I'll just admire it from afar from this point on.

Right. I have a tapered cut, but can't get my hair to look like the girls in the OP with my 4C hair. So I just wear extensions for now.

I love these cuts too. There is one thing I noticed about every woman in the pictures....they 're thin. I think this type of cut looks better if you have a slender face and body. That would be a good enough reason for me to never do it

Let's not let this thread die out ladies! Let's continue to post pics that inspire us!

Some main concerns I'm worried about: when one is not sporting long hair, all of the focus tends to be on your face. I know what works for my skin, but I sometimes break out due to stress. Not to mention that I also don't smile much, that will be even more noticeable if and when I cut my hair, so I'm worried about that.

The only positive aspect is that it would draw attention to my almond eyes, so I'm thinking about drinking more thistle tea to whiten them :yep

:. 7df0a1e701a8f0b872ac58c40565aff1.jpg

twa2.jpgCurly-Afro-Short-Natural-Hair short.jpgCurly-Afro-Short-Hair.jpg

Benefits of rocking a TWA:

* More time for household, learning, getting ready in the morning and other priorities (BONUS: cleaner bathroom, no more hairs all around).
* You can put more focus on your eyes and skin. Thistle tea is great for whitening your eyes and this is a great time to figure out which skin regimen is good for you, as all eyes will be on your clear skin.
* You can now focus on health: running, biking, swimming,...etc.
* You can wear bold earrings & bangles.
* In my case I want to focus more on a colorful wardrobe.
* You can focus on your eyebrows and getting them shaped just right.
* You can be intentionally feminine if you want to.
* You can focus on your scalp more (healthy scalp = healthy hair). And if you're like me and have never cut your hair, this is the perfect opportunity.
* You can sport African headwraps when you want to.
* You can work on a pleasant countenance.
* Less products but more hair products of quality.
* If your TWA is not that short, you can still get your hair braided for long hair during the winter months.
* You can use baking soda and apple cider vinegar; and be able to rinse it all out.

Any pics of women with 4b/c? Even when I search, it's hard to tell if there are few if any of those hair types, or if it's just that if you have that type, you manipulate the hair like with finger coils or something.

@nyeredzi Many of the photos that are above are 4b/4c naturals and yes, they usually have to manipulate their hair to achieve the desired look. For example, they may do a wash and go and add gel to their hair while it's wet to achieve the curl or they may opt for perm rods and twist outs.

For the most part, my hair is a 4b texture....I do not have curly hair at all, even with gel, it doesn't budge....so I have to perm rod or sponge roller my hair to achieve the texture or pattern that I want for my cut. (as seen in my pic) I use foam or curl defining cream to give me a light hold.

HELPFUL LINK
This YTber has some great videos that might help; she has a TON of great styling tutorials:

(perm rod)
(Twist out)

Also some naturals use the sponge method; I don't care for it but it works for many:
upload_2017-8-29_10-10-2.jpeg

Hope this helps!

I actually cut my hair in a tapered TWA in January. At this point though, I have no clue what to do with it.

This was it at first.

33tgtnk.jpg

This is it fresh, it's getting floppy :(

2cr7byg.jpg

This is it when it dries

ehi2qh.jpg

Help me :(

The sides are too short. I will say, I can put it in a nubby little bun now! With a gallon and a half gel, I may be able to make it look presentable. It's just at a weird phase now and I'm not willing to get a weave. Please help me! I don't know what to do with it now and I don't want to cut it again, but I've been thinking about it.

Otherwise I LOVED this hairdo! It was the first time I had hair that short, it was so much easier. I had to be a little more feminine because I definitely thought I looked like a lesbian at first lol.

I actually cut my hair in a tapered TWA in January. At this point though, I have no clue what to do with it.

This was it at first.

33tgtnk.jpg

This is it fresh, it's getting floppy :(

2cr7byg.jpg

This is it when it dries

ehi2qh.jpg

Help me :(

The sides are too short. I will say, I can put it in a nubby little bun now! With a gallon and a half gel, I may be able to make it look presentable. It's just at a weird phase now and I'm not willing to get a weave. Please help me! I don't know what to do with it now and I don't want to cut it again, but I've been thinking about it.

Otherwise I LOVED this hairdo! It was the first time I had hair that short, it was so much easier. I had to be a little more feminine because I definitely thought I looked like a lesbian at first lol.

You are so beautiful :love:

Your twa was amazing. I think that my curl pattern is similar to yours. I cut a very tiny twa at the front. If it grows out to look similar to yours, I'll be the happiest person ever. It's also so feminine btw.

You are so beautiful :love:

Your twa was amazing. I think that my curl pattern is similar to yours. I cut a very tiny twa at the front. If it grows out to look similar to yours, I'll be the happiest person ever. It's also so feminine btw.

Thanks! :) What's it look like now? Is it all even?

How are folks posting cute pics of themselves talmbout "help me"? Girl stop! :lachen:

When you say your sides are too short, do you just mean in relation to the rest of your hair, or is it too short to style? One of my natural coworker does a flat twist or cornrow on each side. Hers isn't as faux hawk-ish as this but the braids still give her the look of the taper without cutting it.

ETA - the pic disappeared....
0f14397fd9607494d002d206d769b4c4.jpg

offsite

Last edited:
How are folks posting cute pics of themselves talmbout "help me"? Girl stop! :lachen:

When you say your sides are too short, do you just mean in relation to the rest of your hair, or is it too short to style? One of my natural coworker does a flat twist or cornrow on each side. Hers isn't as faux hawk-ish as this but the braids still give her the look of the taper without cutting it.

offsite

lol yes I meant in relation to the rest of my hair. I guess I need to practice some styles. All I can do is a bun and in that pic. I suck at anything else other than corn rows, and my twist outs are always unpredictable. It's not long enough for me to do the mini twists without it looking weird. All my go to styles are gone for now :cry3:

ETA - the pic disappeared....
0f14397fd9607494d002d206d769b4c4.jpg

offsite

I would love this color! I asked my hairdresser if she could color my hair and she told me no due to the alopecia....she'd rather wait and give my hair time to strengthen back rather than throw color and possibly cause unnecessary damage. I was so bummed out. Oh well, maybe next year.

Last edited:
Back