Naturals (especially type 4)!!!! The Secret For Perm Straight Hair In ONE PASS....

Re: Naturals (especially type 4)!!!! The Secret For Perm Straight Hair In ONE PASS...

I am so happy this worked for the both of you!

@TheEuphioQ I think the more you condition your hair with moisture, the better it will take/last when you flat iron. When I first figured this all out, it took me a few conditioning session before everything took.

@texasqt I actually use the beige jar and and the green conditioner regularly. I actually prefer the beige jar, it seems to be more moisturizing to me. The green has a little protein. So no, I don't reserve it just for flat ironing, but I do tend to leave it on longer when I know I am going to flat iron.

You guys have me wanting to post this topic on my blog explaining how I figured this all out. I think I will post...:yep:

Last edited:
Re: Naturals (especially type 4)!!!! The Secret For Perm Straight Hair In ONE PASS...

I did a full blow out for the first time this year and it was the best EVER:)! I used the OPs technique and my hair straightened soo easily and it didn't frizz back up. Sorry, no pics. The only reason I straightened was to trim and then braid up my hair.

Anyhow, last night I clarified and shampooed afterwards with a mositurizing shampoo. I then saturated my hair in deep conditioner (Redken smooth down butter treat & ORS Replenishing conditioner) and left it in overnight. I was a little scared to do overnight conditioning because my hair became overmoisturized the last time I did which was when I was relaxed. However, once I rinsed this morning my hair felt awesome and so healthy. I rinsed out the conditioner really well (I didn't shampoo), put in my leave in, heat protectant and did some large twists. I let my hair air dry for a little over an hour and then blow dryed on high heat. My hair was sooo soft after I was done! I was shocked! The last time I blew out my hair on high heat my hair felt dry.

I definitely plan to use OPs technique from now on when I use heat. This thread was beyond helpful!

Last edited:

Ladies,

I want to try this but I have one question. Is there a leave in that I can get from Sallys or a BSS comparable to the Nioxin?

Hi Ladies!

I haven't posted in a while, but I've been true and blue to this Conditioner Relaxer Method since February I think. Everyone keeps telling me how much my hair has grown. I can tell.

Anyway, this weekend I was rushing and didn't use my stearmer or a moisturizing or deep conditioner. I used a leave-in (NTM) which is protein based. My flat iron was abyssmal. My hair was hard and had very little swang. I went a party and by the end of the night I looked like the Lion King. :(

This method is the TRUTH!

Ladies,

I want to try this but I have one question. Is there a leave in that I can get from Sallys or a BSS comparable to the Nioxin?

It's not really that product that does the trick. I think any heat protectant you have will work just as long as your hair is DC well.

In light of the highly anticipated flat ironing video of a well known youtuber, I thought I'd bump my thread to remind all of you that have been inspired to flat iron your own hair. There is a very important step that you must remember to complete. Check out the video on see how it's done.
YouTube - Tutorial: Straighten / Flat Iron Natural Hair Tutorial / Silky Straight [reloaded]

This makes so much sense, even to a relaxed head. When I used to flat iron, I used to focus on protein to try to "build" the hair back up from using heat. But when you think about it, heat would rob the hair of moisture more than anything. Thanks for the light bulb moment!

Thanks for answering the question about the heat used. So my other question is, do you use the lower temp (375 deg) for those sections of hair that is of a looser texture and then bump the heat up (400 deg) for the other sections that have a tighter curl? Also what do you think about stretching the hair first via curlformers or a rollerset instead of blowdrying? I guess I'm wondering if the blowdrying contributes the the stellar results or not.

Thanks for bumping this. I was in ultaand couldn't remember why I was checking out Nioxin products.

Just want to say this thread transformed the way I thought about straightening. And because of the tips shared here I was able to wear my flat ironed hair out on an event at the Queen Mary (damp. moist. evening. sea. air.) without it reverting. When I straightened my relaxed hair in the past it ALWAYS poofed unless I was indoors. Shaking my head at all the evenings ruined by hair that had dropped its curl or poofed into a Chaka Kahn blow out. Anyway, my heartfelt thanks for the wonderful tips shared here!

Thanks for answering the question about the heat used. So my other question is, do you use the lower temp (375 deg) for those sections of hair that is of a looser texture and then bump the heat up (400 deg) for the other sections that have a tighter curl? Also what do you think about stretching the hair first via curlformers or a rollerset instead of blowdrying? I guess I'm wondering if the blowdrying contributes the the stellar results or not.

The temperature difference is for the looser and tighter sections. You are correct.

I have not used anything besides a blow dryer to dry before straightening. But if you are able to use the curlformers without any product and are able to get the hair as stretched as possible, I think you should be able to achieve decently straightened hair.

From experience, it is the deep conditioning step and a silky blow dry that makes the biggest difference.

UPDATE:YouTube - Tutorial: Straighten / Flat Iron Natural Hair Tutorial / Silky Straight [reloaded]<--- Visual added.:grin:

MOISTURE!!!

I'm not talking about putting product on the hair after its washed and conditioned, but moisture that you get from deep conditioning.
Check out these threads where I talk about what conditioners/methods work for me.

Product Review: Silk Elements, Biolage, Argan Oil - Long Hair Care Forum

Lurker, No More! (Pic Heavy) - Page 4 - Long Hair Care Forum

YouTube - Deep Conditioning Tutorial Note: If you use all the products specified in Patchouli85's tutorial, I must stress to you it is IMPORTANT to wash your hair really well before blow drying, she definitely right about that. :yep:(I think it has something to do with the coconut oil, because I had to wash 3 times :wallbash: after finding build-up while blow drying)

Hope this helps any of you naturals that say you can't get your hair straight or get it to stay straight.:grin:

I just wanted to say a quick THANK-YOU westNDNbeauty, PRETTYDIMPLES01 (of yt ) and LHCF curlfriends! From the tips you gave, fotki's you recommended, and vids you have posted on youtube, I have achieved straight, relaxer looking like hair through flat ironing! This is the 2nd time in MANY, MANY EONS that I have straightened my entire head, NO DAMAGE, straight hair in 1 - 1.5 passes!!!!! Also a shout out goes to PRETTYDIMPLES01, for also showing her blow dry technique. Between the tips here and you to ladies ( ESPECIALLY you to ladies SHOWING me how to do it ) this experiment has been a success!

1. I did clarify with ORS creamy aloe.

2. I DC under the STEAMER for 45 min with moisturizing DC, mixed with oil, honeyquat and silk amino acids ( 8 oz conditioner to 5 drops hq and saa )

3. On damp hair, added my version of shealoe ( shea, coconut, hot 6 oil, avocado and apricot oil, mixed with aloe vera juice and essential oils )

4. Smoothed each section and twisted with the shealoe mix, then added my heat protectant: pantene pro-v protecting damage defender spray. Smoothed some more and added a little more shealoe to my ends.

5. Allowed hair to air dry 60% then used PRETTYDIMPLES01 tutorial as my guide: YouTube - blow dry

6. Once the hair was all blown dry, I flat twisted all to the back, gathered up the ends on each side ( as if to make pig tails ) and bunned them to rest.

7. I NOW believe that straightening natural hair is ALL ABOUT TECHNIQUE & how much and what type of product used in the hair, less about tools used ( although the tools are still very important) !
- I took smaller sections to blow dry and made sure that I got my hair as straight as possible with it. THIS WORKED, even down to my ends!!! NO FRIZZ AT ALL!!! Girls that are struggling as I was, PRACTICE WORKING WITH THAT BLOW DRYER!!!!

- Once my hair was blown out, then I flat twisted and let the hair rest for about 20 min.

- I undid all the twists, and I could see that my root to tip was already smooth, and my hair was super soft, very swangy!:lick::yep:

- I used my conair infinity ( from wally world ) on the 2nd setting ( ie. 330 F) along with my ceramic tools straightening comb ( sally's ) and used the chase method. The first pass got my hair super straight, no burning, no stink, no steam, JUST SOFT STRAIGHT HAIR. The half pass was only midway down to the ends to bump! That really wasn't even needed so much, as I will be wrapping my hair tonight.

- After each section was straightened, I bantu knotted it and moved on to the next. Section size in straightening is SOOO important! I listed to yt: YouTube - How To Flat Iron on this one! Check out what she has to say!

Per PRETTYDIMPLES01: YouTube - Straight up!! AGAIN, I only used my personal shealoe mix and heat protectant, and my hair is just so BEAUTIFUL, with SALON QUALITY ( or as close as I can get it at home ) results! :grin: Thanks again ladies!!!

My camera died earlier, as DH was taking pics of my hair, but I am charging it now, and hope to put up photos very soon!:yep:

This is so true. When I started deep conditioning before flat ironing, my hair turned out a million times better: swinging straight and it stayed that way until I washed it out. My favorite deep conditioner to use is Silk Elements Megasilk Moisture Treatment. I don't straighten my hair often but when I do I never skip this important step. It may seem like a no brainer, but a lot of us were/are in the dark. I always thought my stylist just had better tools or products. By the way I'm texlaxed.

UPDATE:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffjZQQIGelg<--- Visual added.:grin:

MOISTURE!!!

I'm not talking about putting product on the hair after its washed and conditioned, but moisture that you get from deep conditioning. Below you will find 3 pics.

Pic 1 - My nautral 4a hair with no product fresh from a wash and condition.

Pic 2 - My natural hair in Dec 2008 (a year after I started flat ironing) without knowlege of the need for moisture from deep treatments, but only using a heat protecting serum (Mizani Thermasmooth). I did deep condition with Aphogee 2 step and Kera Care Humecto.

Pic 3 - My natural hair in Dec 2009 after learning about moisture. The only product used after I conditioned and during my blow dry is Nioxin Thermal Bliss (purchased at ULTA), which is applied to my hair when wet. That's it. No serums. No nothing. Actually it is now a week later and I haven't put ANYTHING in my hair since the Nioxin Thermal Bliss and my hair doesn't look dry, nor does it it look like it needs anything for that matter. It did only take 1 pass of the flat iron (FHI Runway) on 400 degrees using the comb chase method. This is the second time I have flat ironed using increased moisture where my hair came out super straight, and my hair did revert on wash day.

Pic 1
P8220979.jpg

Pic 2
PB150679.jpg

Pic 3
PC231309.jpg

Check out these threads where I talk about what conditioners/methods work for me.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=428268

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=9606456&highlight=mix#post9606456

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NegFfvnthBg Note: If you use all the products specified in Patchouli85's tutorial, I must stress to you it is IMPORTANT to wash your hair really well before blow drying, she definitely right about that. :yep:(I think it has something to do with the coconut oil, because I had to wash 3 times :wallbash: after finding build-up while blow drying)

Hope this helps any of you naturals that say you can't get your hair straight or get it to stay straight.:grin:

You are so beautiful and your hair is amazing, thanks for the hair tips:yep:

Coming back when I have more time.

Bumping bumping bumping:grin::grin::lachen:LOVE THIS THREAD:yep:

Thank you so much @westNDNbeauty I just implemented this method, and OMGOSH! Can you say salon quality, sleek, silky hair :yep: I didn't have my Nioxin Thermal Bliss (SO will be picking that up tomorrow) but it didn't seem to matter. The next time I do this, I will have my Nioxin though. I know this was the truth, for my hair, when it WAS NOT reverting AS I was flatironing. I will see how I do in the Texas heat. But since I like a sleek, straight ponytail, I will be rockin' that too.

I used my ConairPRO Silverbird blowdryer, with my beloved Sedu Revolution flatiron. Sessy hair :grin: I cannot wait til SO see my hair. He has never seen me wearing it out of a pony.

Last edited:

Mann I headed straight to Ulta after reading this thread to scoop the Nioxin Thermal Bliss. I go and I look and look and wouldn't ya know.. it was like the ONE Nioxin product out of stock!

Mann I headed straight to Ulta after reading this thread to scoop the Nioxin Thermal Bliss. I go and I look and look and wouldn't ya know.. it was like the ONE Nioxin product out of stock!

I think Nioxin discontinued it!

I think Nioxin discontinued it!

I called them today and they said that it is discontinued.

I have 2 bottles that were recently ordered from Amazon. However, by calling the company and giving them the code on the bottom there were able to tell me that it was made it 2003.

The product is good for 10 years up-opened. It is only good for 3 years after it has been opened.

So, I looked in the bottle and on the inside at the top of the “sprayer” mechanism, there appeared to be something that looked like yellow “snot”.

Please, if you get a product that may be discontinued and possibly old, call the company and look in the bottle before using it!

DAAAAAMMMMMMMMIIIIIIIITTTTTT!!!!

Sorry mods but I wasn't expecting this heart breaking news. :cry:

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

texasqt Ballerina_Bun 05girl

You realize it is not the Nioxin that gave me the results you see right?

I would also suggest something like infusium 23 to blow dry your hair with.

Just make sure your deep condition WELL!

If anyone care to check out, here is my Fall 2011 regimen updated.

I tried this method when this thread initially came out and was not impressed. I don't know if I didn't use enough conditioner or if the conditioner was protein based or what. I decided to give it another go recently and the results were stellar!

I added glycerin to my conditioner and I think it really made a difference (Megasilk, which I do not own, has glycerin as the second ingredient). My hair felt incredibly moisturized.

When I was done, my hair did not revert! My hair has been known to start reverting before I am even done flat ironing! It actually stayed really straight for 2 weeks---until it got rained on. I got the highest compliments for my sister who thought I had gone to a salon and my husband who said it was the best job I had ever done. He never notices anything about my hair:grin:! Thanks to the OP! Here are some pics:

021.jpg

014.jpg

012.jpg

009.jpg

Back