Naturals: Does your significant other like your hair?

Mine doesn't want to see it straight. He gets very vocal about it and he's only seen it straight in person once.

When he saw it he couldn't hide his disgust. I had worn it straight for a business trip and I ended up washing it before we went out for dinner right after he picked me up from the airport.

He also doesn't prefer for me to wear it up because I have a big head. :look:

I think you have to do what makes you feel happy. Because if he wasn't being critical about your hair it would be something else.

Some black men trip me out. Every other race does not treat their women like this except for ours. Some black men have serious identity issues.

I'm transitioning and my SO is very supportive. He doesn't care whether its straight or curly. He actually prefers when I do a curly style cause he thinks its exotic looking. He's Dominican. There are some men who get bored with the straight look.

My advice would be to talk to him and tell him how it makes you feel. But first ask him WHY he feels this way about kinky hair. Cause he needs to work through some issues of self-love. He is black right? Whats his hair like?

your hair is pretty!
but i'm just not sure what to say, but a lot of couples end up with that problem. Not everyone is going to love something their significant other does, but your natural hair is something you can't change :/ just experiment with products.

i saw this stuff on another forum and it looks like it could be good. but of course i'd consult other ladies on LCHF to see
http://www.hairrules.com/

Last edited:
He LOVES my hair...the bigger the better. If you like your big curly hair I'd work more on fixing him than on changing my hair!

OK Ladies, I need some advise. My husband is not too thrilled about my hair. He only likes it when I wear wash-n-go's with lots of gel applied so that my hair doesn't "nap up". He loves straight hair and 3a-c type hair, but I don't have that. So, my question to you all is do you know of any styles/products that don't require heat that I can try on my hair? I've done braid outs and he likes the way they look except for the roots. Is there a way that I can keep my roots from looking so dry?:blush:! Please help!!!

Yes. He loves my hair.

It's really difficult to find balance in these situations. While I love my husband and want to look nice for him, I cannot compromise my spirit trying to do so. That is the rule I go by. Fortunately, my husband loves my hair texture. At this point he really does miss it since I am no longer natural. Even when I was contemplating relaxing again he was having a fit about it and while it is great to know my hubby loves my natural glory, it was important that I put his opinions where they belong. I wanted to relax so I did.

At the end of the day you have to do what works best for you. Your husband does not have to put up with styling or caring for your hair so he should be more careful about what he says. Also how you feel when you look in the mirror is so much more important than how he feels about your hair. For so many women having natural hair is so much more than asthetics, it can be a spiritual, moral and emotional matter. Looks fall short in comparison to those things.

I don't care if you had 4z hair that shrank up to 99% if you love it....it's beautiful and it's uniquely you, which makes it priceless.:yep:

My SO loves the fact that I'm growing my hair out and he is very excited about my transition, he even wash my hair sometimes lol.

I'm currently transitioning and I have equal amounts of straight and natural hair. I absolutely detest doing my hair while in this in-between phase and I don't like to wear it straight and out because I'm not happy with the length yet.
BUT. I will straighten and wear my hair out for him. He never asked me to do it but I know he loves it and want him to be happy.

It is not about my SO not accepting my hair in its natural state, because he loves my curls and he always compliments me on how healthy and soft my hair is. For me, its about pleasing him and I do not have any issues with that. We are in a LDR right now and I barely see him as it is, so I want to make sure that I look nice for him whenever I see him.

I don't mean to be disrespectful to any of the ladies here but IMO I think it is important to look good for my man and I love doing things for him that makes him happy.

At the end of the day it is just hair and I know he is not with my because of that reason alone.

Dh loves my natural 4b hair. He likes it when I wear textured styles, but I prefer the ease of straight hair.

He likes it because it's long. When it was tapered, he didn't like it but he didn't make a big deal out of it. He loves my texture.

OK Ladies, I need some advise. My husband is not too thrilled about my hair. He only likes it when I wear wash-n-go's with lots of gel applied so that my hair doesn't "nap up". He loves straight hair and 3a-c type hair, but I don't have that. So, my question to you all is do you know of any styles/products that don't require heat that I can try on my hair? I've done braid outs and he likes the way they look except for the roots. Is there a way that I can keep my roots from looking so dry?:blush:! Please help!!!
He hated my big chopped hair, but he loves my hair now that's it's longer. The texture never bothered him. He prefers women with long hair

He's ok with it. He prefers me with my hair sleek and flat ironed but those are rare occasions that don't last long. I'd be lyin if I said he loves my natural hair. He says he likes it but know he loves it when it's straight.

My SO doesn't seem to care either way. When I first met him I was wearing a weave and now that I don't wear a weave anymore he seems fascinated with the fact that my hair is long. When I was still wearing a weave and he hadn't seen all of my natural hair out, he seemed to be under the belief that "Black people's hair doesn't grow long and if their hair is long, it's because they're mixed." I'm glad to give him living proof that that statement is not true.

He complains more about the products and deep conditioning methods I use. He calls it "witchcraft" lol. The other day he saw me adding honey to a deep conditioner, so he went and got some barbecue sauce from the fridge and said "Why don't you add some of this too?" :rolleyes:

FB_IMG_1462236246815_zpsyydzadso.jpg

#mood #erryday #dealwithit

My SO has never seen me with straight hair and I never asked him how he felt about my hair but I'm going to assume he likes it or is indifferent because it's on me and he likes me. I did notice when we first started dating he wouldn't touch my hair, one day I asked him to rub my head and he hesitated. I asked him why and he said he thought I was wearing a wig and didn't want to mess it up. I laughed and told him it was mine. Since that time he has taken liberties to rub my head or play in my hair. Interesting question to get a definitive answer I will have to ask him and report back.

You have beautiful hair. My boyfriend loves my hair. He hates that I protective style it so often now because he use to rub his fingers through it every night. He loves it when it's in its natural curly state and even when I let it air dry and I brush the curls out and it's in a poof.... Only thing he disliked a lot was when I cut it really short. He's crazy about long hair...
He needs to accept your hair for what it is because that's what it was when he married you.

My current bf loves my hair. He loves how versatile my hair is and loves my curls.

He has a strong preference for long hair, so the longer my hair grows, the better.

Back