Naturals: Did joining LHCF make you consider relaxing again in the future?

Not really. I think the relaxed heads are lovely though. I know that I can get straight every so often.

I usually try to open the natural threads. BUT When I read the threads with relaxed info on it, I try to glean information on the things that keep their hair healthy (products, techniques, regimens). Healthy hair - That's what keeps thier hair long - not the relaxing.

No, not at all.

I will agree with some of the other ladies that I see now that relaxed hair can be long and look nice. Not terrible like most of the relaxed heads I see in real life.

No. I'm not going to say I'll never relax again, but even with all the beautiful relaxed heads here, I still don't have the urge to relax again. I love my natural hair, and my hair is healthier now than it's ever been. But I do pass along the tips I've read here to relaxed friends and family.

5 years ago I also said I will never, ever, ever relax my hair again and I still feel the same way.

I will never put those chemicals in my hair again. I have too much versatility with my hair, if I choose to wear straight hair I can and then go back to my natural texture.

Never.

LHCF definitely showed me that relaxed hair can be healthy and long as well as natural hair and I just didn't know what I was doing with my relaxed hair back then (and neither did my mother).
In the future I will be BKT'ing, but not relaxing, because my hair has been thriving as a natural and I don't want to take any chances at this point.

I was tempted previous to the first time I straightened my hair last fall. I always hear scary reversion stories. I was so worried that I wouldnt be able to keep a press longer than a day or two without it getting poofy. Luckily my hair, when pressed, looks relaxed and does not revert unless I dump water on it. So I have the best of both worlds and no urge to relax...Besides I couldnt stand seeing my hair straight every single day

Ditto...I feel the exact same way no need to get a relaxer :nono:

Not at all. Plus I can always do roller-set for a straight look however, I have little desire to do so (I've done one rollerset since the BC). I pay most attention to the natural ladies hair when looking at threads. I'm just naturally drawn to those pics.

Same here!

I do admire some of the ladies with long relaxed hair (kudos to you all) but relaxing my hair is not an option or a desire. The thought of transitioning again scares the poop out of me :nono::lachen:

There are several beautiful relaxed heads here at LHCF. :yep:

....but I've yet to see one that made me want to relax. I'm natural for life. :yep:

I was transitioning when I joined, and yes, LHCF caused me to stop my transition. I wanted to see just how long my hair could get, since it never really got past SL-APL.

Once I reached my goals, I went natural, and now I don't see myself ever relaxing again. I can get a silky straight press if I want it, and still have the ability to return to my napps. I have the best of both worlds.:yep:

I am relaxed but LHCF is making me want to go natural! I am almost 6 months post if I can get past my wedding without relaxing than I am going all the way!

Same here - even though I'm texlaxed. Here on this forum I've seen beautiful natural and relaxed hair.

As a pre-LHCF natural I was sick of the knots and dry brittle poofy ends so I texlaxed thinking it was a good compromise. However, since joining LHCF, I learned that my hair is high high high maintenance regardless of what I choose to do with it.

LHCF taught me how to take care of my texlaxed hair and my NG. I'll be 13 weeks post texlax tomorrow and my NG has never been more manageable. I credit all of the wonderful relaxed hair and natural hair ladies here for helping me. I've learned more about hair care these past 5 months then any other hair journey I've taken in the past. That being said - I miss my 'fro. I've been thinking if my hair is high maintenance texlaxed and high maintenance natural then why not go back to natural? I'm currently on the fence because I'm still scared of the knots. If I can successfully stretch for another 11 weeks then I will seriously consider transitioning.

I like all the ways in which we women of color can do our hair, but for me as for long as I can tell right now I am happy with healthy natural versus healthy relaxed.

The main reason for my being and staying at LHCF there is a balance between the two.

Last edited:
I think about relaxing my hair since joinging LHCF. I think I am more knowledgeable about how to take care of relaxed hair. But I'm scared of doing it because I'm afraid I'll have the same breakage and issues like I had in the past.

Nope...if anything, coming here is part of what motivated me to go natural. Seeing the beauty and versatility of natural hair just impressed me SO much.

I totally agree with veggiegirl314, but I must admit I have been tempted being in the twa stage. But I definately agree and concur since joining LHCF I decided that I could do the bc and grow my hair out back natural. There are so many beautiful heads of hair on this site and that was my reason why I did the bc! I thought if these women can bc their hair that was relaxed and damaged why can't I do the same thing and grow a healthy head of hair too! I am so happy and elated that I stumbled on to this site because I've gained and gathered so much vital info regarding so many positive advice on hair care for women of color. Since being so encouraged with the women here both relaxed and natural, but especially natural since that's what I am now I will continue to seek the positive feedbacks and opinions of what so many has to offer. So this just clarifies it more for me to keep focused on my goals with my natural hair and grow it healthy and long the way it use to be when I was a child.:yep:

Thanks for your responses ladies :) I'm glad LHCF made so many fall in love with their natural hair - the stories are making me fall in love all over again..

Forgive me hair for being so sometimey...*comforts my locs*

Last edited:
Nope. Even before I found the site and I was looking for ways to deal with my hair relaxing just wasn't one. I do look at some relaxed threads for help with other peoples' head, but as far as my head is concerned I haven't even felt tempted. I was curious about the bkt but that was brief. Lol. A good ole flat ironing is all I need if I want to go straight.

Nope. Absolutely not. Will NEVER relax again.

What I do like about the site is learning different techniques for using heat, which is not something that can be discussed on other sites. I like not feeling bad about showing a straight style of my phony ponies. I like not having certain words changed as though they are from the devil lol

Nope. Not even back then when majority on the forum with long flowing tresses were relaxed. Once I saw that my natural hair could grow longer than I imagined it could, I didn't give relaxers a second thought. And when I became familiar with how to handle my hair, my whole plan of transitioning so I could relax healthier hair went out the window faster than a speeding bullet.

No. I do not plan on relaxing ever again. I have my new FHI Runway in case I want the straight look

Nope. Absolutely not. Will NEVER relax again.

What I do like about the site is learning different techniques for using heat, which is not something that can be discussed on other sites. I like not feeling bad about showing a straight style of my phony ponies. I like not having certain words changed as though they are from the devil lol

What's up girl! I recognized that puff.:grin:

Even before LHCF, I knew that (for me), relaxing was not an ongoing option:: I wanted no more of the chemical. What I WILL say is that, the knowledge this board has regarding relaxed hair, makes me wonder what my hair COULD have been at the time I WAS relaxing had I had this knowledge. I love my natural hair and it is ALL a continual process, and sometimes, it isn't easy; but I can't imagine relaxing again. If it gets too bad, I'll keep it braided and/or weaved up while properly taking care of my hair underneath, but I will not relax.

I was tempted , but being in the beginning of the journey can be the hardest to me especially when you have thickkkk, coarse, 4a/4b hair. So in the awkward state of growing out my hair I was discouraged. I couldn't detangle, I couldn't do anything as easy as it seemed every1 else did. I couldn't figure the moisturizing my hair (STILL working on this) -- but the long haul staying natural is worth it and so much more rewarding to me! 3 years from now my hair will be even more bangin'!

I have been frequenting hair boards, including this one, for years...ever since i was a sophomore in college. I was relaxed when i first found online hair care sites and my initial point was to lurk and pick-up products and tips to see how long i could grow my hair out as a relaxed head...

...then i stumbled upon some mouthwatering natural fotki's (V-merie, Baby Blue, Ayeshia and a few others) and it was the beginning of the end..or should i just say...the beginning. I was always in awe of natural pics and i thought to myself...why in the hayell am i drooling over a hair type that i possess naturally???

So when i started frequenting hairboards my thought process was on the road to naturalness..... and I will NEVER look back. Will never relax my hair again, there is no point. I can appreciate a good relaxed hair pic, but it's no comparison, imo, to a good natural-hair pic.

And honestly...I was born and raised in Manhattan, Harlem (land of the dominican beauty shops, roller sets, and doobies) to be exact. In my high school a lot of the black girls had drool-worthy relaxed hair so i was exposed very frequently to nice heads of relaxed hair...when i saw them on hair sites i wasn't surprised.

NOPE!

It just reinforced my feeling that there were fly women like me who were natural and grow long beautiful versatile hair. It just confirmed by beliefs about the fabulousness that is our natural hair.

If I want my hair straight I can get it silky flowy and swangin without the commitment.

I'm very happy to see so many ladies relaxing the right way though its exciting because now I can help my cousin and give her tips on how to properly maintain her relaxed hair....but do I long for it?? Not in the least.

Back