Naturals and Transitioners: In how many sections do you wash and/or dry your hair?

How many sections do you detangle in and approximately where does your hair type fall

• 4b/4a, no sections

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • 4b/4a, 2 - 4 sections

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • 4b/4a, 5 or more sections

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • 4a/3c, no sections

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • 4a/3c, 2 - 4 sections

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • 4a/3c, 5 or more sections

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • 3c/3b, no sections

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 3c/3b, 2 - 4 sections

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • 3c/3b, 5 or more sections

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Naturals and Transitioners: In how many sections do you wash and/or dry your hair

about 10-12 sections for detangling

Re: Naturals and Transitioners: In how many sections do you wash and/or dry your hair

4a/4b (I think) and I wash in 6-9 sections depending on how much time and energy I have. When I'm lazy or strapped for time, it's only 4.

4a here. I don't wash in sections. Maybe if it were longer (I'm only a little past SL when wet), then maybe I would find it necessary, but as of right now I don't have a need to.

^^^I'm in the same club..........

Last edited:

And do you think that the looser your curl pattern, the fewer sections you need? I'm asking because I have air-dried my hair in nine sections with minimal tangling, six with minimal tangling, four with a few more tangles but nothing major, two with a lot of tangles, and no sections with massive tangles at the line of demarcation. So I need at least six sections for my 4b/4a hair. How many do you need and approximately where does your hair type fall?

My hair is natural & I ALWAYS section my hair (4a/4b/a lil' 3c mixture & very thick) into at least 5-6 sections when doing any type of washing or DC'ing or moisturizing/oiling. My hair is virtually tangle-free & my fingers glide right through when properly sectioned & there is much less shedding. :yep:

Last edited:

anywhere btw 4-6 sections.

i'm 3c and apl

Transitioners, how do you keep the ends from unravelling?

Its driving me nuts and i'm spending way to long in the shower dealing with each section.

I do four sections but my hair is still tangled. I have very fine strands its but dense up in there.

Transitioners, how do you keep the ends from unravelling?

Its driving me nuts and i'm spending way to long in the shower dealing with each section.

I do four sections but my hair is still tangled. I have very fine strands its but dense up in there.

My first thought would be do more sections (6-8). 4 sections didn't work while I was transitioning
ETA if your ends unravel use scrunchies instead of braiding or twisting

I do 6-8 sections, and I'm around BSL. I have 4a/3c hair.

I think number of sections depends on curliness and density of strands.

For me it's not the curl pattern, but the length that is the deciding factor. My hair is pretty short right now so I can get away with no sections. I think as it becomes longer I'll have to wash in sections.

I think its about hair length, density and the hairstyle you had(i.e stretched and whether your ends are tangly or not). I am a 4a head and I mostly wah in 6 sections, but I can see 4 or 2 sections working as I gain length.

only four...the other day i tried 6, like SouthernTease on maneandchic.com does, but it took wayyy too long. 4 works just fine for me. my hair isn't all that dense, anyways.

To be quite honest I don’t know my hair type and it’s just too complicated for me to figure out. I’m 13 months post and I don’t wash in sections or braids (it probably would help but it’s just not an extra step I want to take); however, I do air-dry in two low buns.

ETA: I do detangle and moisturize in 4 sections

same here :yep:

I'm mostly 4a and I wash in 4, half dry in 4 and moisturise/seal in 8 sections.

I don't wash in sections, but I do condition and style in sections. I don't pin back or twist, just move the rest of the hair to the side.

i selected 2-4. it was more (about 6 usually) until more hair could fit into larger sections as it grew out. im about apl now but i do separate each section in half when detangling and bring them back together as one section when its all done.

4B several (at least 8-12) two strand twists. When my hair is longer I may possibly be able to get away with fewer

I am mostly 4a and I wash in 2 sections. I used to not section my hair but it was harder for me to thoroughly detangle my hair with conditioner in the shower. Any more than 2 sections though and I have to turn off the water while I detangle so I can have some semblance of hot water when I do a final rinse.

Now that my hair is getting longer again, I'm parting in 2 or 4 sections.
If i'm in a crazy rush I'll just do it all at once but I set myself up for the possibility of more tanglerization (that's a word)
2 or 4 sections works well for me and i'm 3c

Well, my last relaxer was in November of 2009, so I'm about 8 months post, and I am quickly discovering I will have to change my current washing/drying method. I am definitely going to have to start sectioning. My hair is 3c, and as the months have gone by my hair has gotten significantly curlier than the straight strands I used to have....it's a difference I am discovering my routine (developed when I was new to this all) is just too simple for all of the curly new growth I have now.

Honestly, I'm sort of clueless....I kind of feel how I did when I first joined this website, because I have never really dealt with full on curly hair, and much of the hair on the back of my head is new growth (I had suffered huge breakage in the back around Nov of 09, hence why I started this whole "doing my own hair thang"), so I am at a loss for how to care for it. I am finding myself less and less able to do my sleek buns as the days go by. I know it's just my clueless handling, but I don't know!

15 months post

0-6 mos: no sections
6-12mos: 2 sections
currently: 3-4 sections

I doubt I'll ever need more than 4 sections

3b/c/4a Scraping BSL

I don't usually wash my hair in sections but I decided to go back to this method recently as I'm 50 weeks post-relaxer and don't want to take any chances with getting tangles. I don't really count the number of sections but I put my hair in a bunch of twists and shampoo or condition with the twists in. I believe that I'm a 3c/4a and definitely believe that this method helps to lessen the amount of tangles during air drying and combing.

Fully natural; 4a/3c; 6 twists; Pre-tangle;

I have found that when I do not wash in sections...all 'you know what' breaks loose on my head!!!

I'm 13 months post BC, 4b coily & fine strands.

I wash, condition, and detangle in 4 sections. I band and airdry in 6 sections (2 in the back and 4 in the front).

I wash with no sections but I blow dry in 4-6 sections.

I'm 56 weeks post and I wash in 2 sections. However, I blowdry in 6 sections because it's harder to get the comb attachment thru. :look:

Back