How many sections do you wash your hair in?

What's your magic number

• I don't wash my hair in sections

Votes: 81 36.2%

Votes: 31 13.8%

Votes: 5 2.2%

Votes: 57 25.4%

Votes: 2 0.9%

Votes: 23 10.3%

Votes: 6 2.7%

Votes: 8 3.6%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10+

Votes: 11 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wash in 4 sections. I am 7 months post and if I don't wash in sections, what is left of my hair (from shedding/breaking) would be one big a$$ clump.

I totally understand your questions :yep:
I asked the exact same question in this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=413796

And guess what...? I wash in sections now :lol: I've found that it reduces detangling time for me A LOT. The only detangling I have to do is when I apply my leave in and take down each section (6 braids).

I cowashed this morning @ the gym and it took me less than 10 minute to detangle and put my hair in 2 ponytails (and I'm 13 months post with maybe equal amounts of natural and relaxed hair)

I'm officially hooked!
oKay I am going in!!!!! Don't be mad at me for asking, I really just want to know....

I have a question, as to why do you ladies section your hair?

Yes it is effective because you have easier access to your scalp, especially as a natural or transitioner :yep:
:ohwell: I've never washed in sections. Although, after reading what all of you have to say on this thread, it sounds like something I should start doing.

So, you just detangle, part the hair, plait it and do your whole routine (wash, condition, moisturize, etc) with your hair like that? Sounds like a good idea to fight off tangles, but is it really effective in actually cleansing your scalp/hair?

I'm natural, mostly 4a, some 3c. When my hair was shorter (SL-collarbone), I could get away with 4 sections. Now that I'm APL, I need more sections. I chose 6. If I do any less, my shed hair will curl around the attached hair and cause too many tangles. I will probably have to increase to 8 when my hair is longer.

i wash in 4 sections 'cause i'll need them when i do my hair. less parting wet hair= less breakage for me

eta:transitioning w/ bkt. still mostly straight hair

this is my second time doin sections. this time, i did 8, so that i could detangle one section at a time, then go straight to bantu knots. i like sectioning because on my last wash, it made it really easy for me to clean my scalp. before then i had been washing my whole head at once, and getting to my scalp seemed near impossible since i haven't been relaxed in a year in feb. my scalp felt great last time. no more itchies.

eta: oh, it made detangling a little easier since i had no choice to work with the small sections instead of tryin to rip my comb through my whole head at once. :look:

I section mine into 4.

2 in the back and two in the front.

Makes detangling super fast and no hair loss, for me!

This is the exact thing that I do, and for the same reason. I use hair clips to hold each section until I'm ready to take a section down and wash it.

I section mine into 4.

2 in the back and two in the front.

Makes detangling super fast and no hair loss, for me!
EXACTLY... this is what i do and it makes life so much easier... i pre-section before washing into 4 sections... this also helps me focus on the scalp more and also when applying conditioner it helps me get the conditioner
"in between"

I could wash in four and may start but as of late 7 is the best two in front two in back on one left and one on right and one on center

I don't usually wash my hair in sections but I have tried it a few times.

When I did, I would braid it in 4 sections wet w/o any product then co-wash detangle. I stopped because I didn't notice any significantly less time or less shedding either way. Plus the braids wouldn't hold, making the other hair get in the way which I found v. frustrating!

I saw a tip from other posters who use sectioning clips to hold the hair and I mas try this next time. I think as my hair gets closer to BSL I will need to section to help detangle and retain length.:yep:

I am 3 months post relaxer. After witnessing the tangled mess that I was left with after I shampooed my hair last night I will definitely be washing my hair in sections the next go-around.

Today was my first time sectioning while washing my hair - I did 4 sections. Love that it made detangling easy and hardly any hair lost. I will do this again! I think the 4 sections work good for my SL hair.

my hair is pretty big once it's wet and curly but I don't feel the need to section my hair when I wish, I didn't realise people did that :)

Back