How many sections do you wash your hair in?

What's your magic number

• I don't wash my hair in sections

Votes: 81 36.2%

Votes: 31 13.8%

Votes: 5 2.2%

Votes: 57 25.4%

Votes: 2 0.9%

Votes: 23 10.3%

Votes: 6 2.7%

Votes: 8 3.6%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10+

Votes: 11 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I divided my hair in 17 or 18 sections because it is so thick and I was afraid it might tangle during the washing process. I also have a lot of layers and I was trying to divide my hair up with these layers. I'm definitely trying to get this down to fewer sections (and larger sections)!

Since i'm transitioning, i section my hair off in about 8 (sometimes 4) plaits when i wash or condition my hair. I had a bad experience from washing all of my hair together at once, during this transition, so i just try and be careful by doing my hair in sections..

Well if you're relaxed I see absolutely no need for washing in sections. Washing in sections is primarily for naturals because it makes it easier to detangle.

4 sections right now, but I can see going to 2 when my hair gets longer. And because my hair is so fine and low density I don't really need to section off if I'm just co-washing and my hair was already detangled. Fine hair has some pros, but not many.

If your relaxed then no there's really not a need for it. :yep:

When you're 4/5 months+ post relaxer washing in sections is very beneficial, well for me anyway because the new growth is so thick.

When you're 4/5 months+ post relaxer washing in sections is very beneficial, well for me anyway because the new growth is so thick.

true. i've never made it that far post that's why I said no :lachen: my max used to be 8 weeks (I really couldn't take the new growth) but i'm on a mission to do a 6 month stretch.

true. i've never made it that far post that's why I said no :lachen: my max used to be 8 weeks (I really couldn't take the new growth) but i'm on a mission to do a 6 month stretch.

Join us in the dark side over in the relaxer stretching support thread! ;):grin:

It was 10 but I recently switched to 11

WHY? because I find that I can fully wash and DC in 11 sections. I can distribute product evenly and theres are the perfect size sections to detangle in!

I air dry in these sections too and it leave my hair streched for styling.

I wash my hair in 2 sections (braids). I tried 4 but I can only do this in the shower and prefer washing my hair in my big sink, so 2 it is!

But I tell you I have less hair in my comb since I braid in sections. I can honestly say 6 long strands in my wide tooth comb for the entire head. Definitely the way to go.

Last edited:
I wash my hair altogether in one section and I have natural hair. Washing in sections is too much work. I tried it before and it felt like I didn't get my scalp and hair clean enough.

Like many women on here the hair in the back of my head, at the crown, and in the front have their own needs and such (the back is easy to handle, crown is moody and front is fragile) so 6 sections are perfect!!!:grin:

My hair is split in half and each side is then split in threes. So when I do my hair, whether it be styling, washing or moisturizing and sealing, its really handy to get the back out the way, tame my crown and then end with my babied front/edges.

I wash in 4 sections... but I'm 26 wks post (stretching) so once I relax my hair next month I'm gonna start back washing my whole head at once. The only reason I started washing in sections was because I started getting a lot of tangling while washing... sectioning it off stopped those tangles in their tracks.

I wash, detangle, condition, moisturize, etc. all in four sections. It's especially helpful doing it this way when I am deep into a stretch and I have mad new growth.

I part it in seven or eight sections to reduce breakage due to tangling issues. That's when I washed, deep conditioned, detangled, and pressed it on my own. The entire process is done in sections.

My stylist detangles my hair in four sections.

Last edited:
i wash in 10 braids because it keeps my hair detangled and doesn't come loose when i wash and condition. It's too frustrating for me to deal with head full of wet tangled natural hair.

I wash in 2 sections. I'm relaxed and washing in 2 section (hair parted down the middle), not braided- just hanging down, helps me in the long run. My hair is already sectioned in two after washing which allows me to saturate all of my hair (esp. crown) with DC without having to do to much manipulation to my fragile wet hair.

I also detangle in the shower under running water and its easier to do in 2 sections for me.

Last edited:
:ohwell: I've never washed in sections. Although, after reading what all of you have to say on this thread, it sounds like something I should start doing.

So, you just detangle, part the hair, plait it and do your whole routine (wash, condition, moisturize, etc) with your hair like that? Sounds like a good idea to fight off tangles, but is it really effective in actually cleansing your scalp/hair?

Mwedzi, you deserve a shout out, your hair is gorgeous!!!!!!!Wow.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Thank you! :kiss:

Wow that's dedication. Does it take you awhile to wash your hair? Just my measly 8 sections make me feel like I'm taking too much time to wash my hair.

It doesn't take me that long to wash. I can shampoo in, oh, I guess, 5-7 minutes. If I condition in the shower, it will take another 10-15 minutes or so. But I often don't condition in the shower since I will have conditioned prior to shampooing. The only time I condition after shampooing is if I'm deep conditioning. Otherwise I'll just put a leave-in on after shampooing. So it's not the washing that takes a long time. It's the detangling, and I have to detangle in sections either way.

I don't have difficulty getting my scalp clean, which is the part I'm most concerned about. My strands don't need to get that clean, but it's also no difficulty to squeeze shampoo into each twisted section if I want. In fact, because it's parted, it's easier to get shampoo to my scalp if I wash in sections vs. if my hair is out in one big afro.

Last edited:
Back