Naturally Wavy? TYPE 2

SouthernTease

I've been having trouble with
this hair typing blah blah
I don't like it much. I also
have trouble finding people on
LHCF with hair like mines.

My hair is naturally wavy... it does not curl!!!
It's like a coarse version of a Type 2 or maybe
a coarse version of Type 3A and it's very fine.
It looked like this before I started getting relaxers:

53ftz4j.jpg

Anybody else have hair like this?

Last edited:
You may not have enough new growth to tell yet. My hair looked like waves until about 3 or 4 months post relaxer. Then I would start to see curls. Let it grow out some more.

I would guess one of the type 2s (is there sucha thing as 2c? lol)
But i'm really bad at that. I asked for help myself.
Either way your hair is purty.

There aren't many type 2's here on the board. Most people are 4a/b and theres some type 3's here. Cichelle, Pokahontas, Silvergirl, GoingNatural, UMBlessedBeauty are type 3's. I think there is a such thing as a 2c. I think Camellia's hair is a 2c if I'm not mistaken. Maybe you can check her hair out to see if it looks like yours. The hair in the picture you posted looks to be about a 3a. She has curls.

Last edited:
Doesn't look like she has curls to me...
anyway... isn't a wave is just a really loose curl.
Most women with naturally wavy hair have some sort
of curl at the ends. That's what's so confusing.

Pokahontas/ Cichelle/ GoingNatural/: Close matches, but their natural curls are tight...
mines are a lot looser because they are WAVES. My natural hair
would look like their hair after a cornrow braidout... if I used
perm rods on the ends.

Whatever... I guess I just have to wait 500 years for my natural
hair to grow out in order to really be able to see.

Last edited:
I'd say 2C. Unfortunately, I haven't seen anyone else around here with your type... :ohwell: your relaxed hair will probably be similar to the other 2s though, but I guess most Type 2s here are natural, not relaxed... hmmm.

Your hair looks like type 3 to me. Type 3 hair can look wavy...just like type 2 hair can curl.

I remember hairlove having this same problem until she transitioned enough to tell for sure. She's type 3, but she thought that she was 2.

My mom is type 2 the diference is that after she washes her hair it's completely bone straight(no relaxer). As it dries waves and some curls form. If my mom really wanted curls she can get them, but the won't last because her hair is too thin.

Watch these:

3a
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq-uOJ_kHhE&mode=related&search=

3b
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQFa1dwSKYo&mode=related&search=

Also, you might want to check Vangrey's album...and maybe hairlove too.

Last edited:
You may not have enough new growth to tell yet. My hair looked like waves until about 3 or 4 months post relaxer. Then I would start to see curls. Let it grow out some more.

yea, i agree
I looked at ur fotki & i had the same problem
the top of my hair is 3c (like that scary spice) but the rest is 4a and my kitchen has mostly 4b in it

ur hair looks like what my 3c hair looked like coming in, except with finer strands... maybe 3b?--- its definitely wavy when it grows out, but it probably wont curl unless you cut the relaxed ends off----- thats what I did for a small part of my hair to see what it looked like.

I don't know, from looking at your newgrowth in your hair relaxer stretch album it looks more like a 3c/4a to me.

I don't think I know of any type 2's that actually relax their hair.

I've been having trouble with
this hair typing blah blah
I don't like it much. I also
have trouble finding people on
LHCF with hair like mines.

My hair is naturally wavy... it does not curl!!!
It's like a coarse version of a Type 2 or maybe
a coarse version of Type 3A and it's very fine.
It looked like this before I started getting relaxers:

53ftz4j.jpg

Anybody else have hair like this?

I don't know, from looking at your newgrowth in your hair relaxer stretch album it looks more like a 3c/4a to me.

Yes, type 2's relax too...but they shouldn't have to. My mom did.:confused: Type 2's fight with the weather like 3 and 4's, so if relaxers help, then some get relaxed. We just can't tell. My mom relaxed once a year...if she remembered. My mom is 2a/b.

Also, type 2c hair is coarse. I watched a Hawaiian lady with 2c hair get her hair relaxed, but the relaxer never went near her roots...and hardly any was used. So, like I said we just never know.:ohwell:

Last edited:
Yes, type 2's relax too...but they shouldn't have to. My mom did.:confused: Type 2's fight with the whether like 3 and 4's, so if relaxers help, then some get relaxed. We just can't tell. My mom relaxed once a year...if she remembered. My mom is 2a/b.

Also, type 2c hair is coarse. I watched a Hawaiian lady with 2c hair get her hair relaxed, but the relaxer never went near her roots...and hardly any was used. So, like I said we just never know.:ohwell:

That's pretty interesting.

Your hair looks like type 3 to me. Type 3 hair can look wavy...just like type 2 hair can curl.

I remember hairlove having this same problem until she transitioned enough to tell for sure. She's type 3, but she thought that she was 2.

My mom is type 2 the diference is that after she washes her hair it's completely bone straight(no relaxer). As it dries waves and some curls form. If my mom really wanted curls she can get them, but the won't last because her hair is too thin.

Watch these:

3a
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq-uOJ_kHhE&mode=related&search=

3b
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQFa1dwSKYo&mode=related&search=

Also, you might want to check Vangrey's album...and maybe hairlove too.

When I was younger my hair did this... when wet it was straight... when it dried it would wave up... it's very confusing. Ever since 13 I would only get Mild Relaxers and while most of you would call 12-16 weeks a stretch, that's always been normal for me. I only relaxed when I had to which was at most 3 times a year... my texture could have changed I dunno... puberty whatever... oh well.

ur hair looks like what my 3c hair looked like coming in, except with finer strands... maybe 3b?--- its definitely wavy when it grows out, but it probably wont curl unless you cut the relaxed ends off----- thats what I did for a small part of my hair to see what it looked like.

That's true too. My relaxed hair was weighing the natural hair down and stretching the curl pattern out.

Yes, type 2's relax too...but they shouldn't have to. My mom did.:confused: Type 2's fight with the weather like 3 and 4's, so if relaxers help, then some get relaxed. We just can't tell. My mom relaxed once a year...if she remembered. My mom is 2a/b.

We just had this convo at my moms house a few hours ago. My grandmother said she let my mother perm her hair for the first time when my mom was in her 20's. From looking at it you'd never know. She said she didn't even really know what a perm was bc nobody in her family ever had one (they're all in the 2 and 3 range) except my mother. My grandma is a 2c with very thick hair. She said she hasn't had her hair permed in 3 years now but the only reason she did before was to get the waves out. She said if she stayed in the shower too long or was out in humidity the waves would come back and would mess up her hairstyle. She always kept her hair cut short (with blonde dye in the front) my whole life because she didn't want to deal with it. She usually wears it pulled back with a phony pony now but theres big waves all through it. A lot bigger than mines are. I got her some eqp glaze to use to brush it back with a while ago. I've heard my other aunts say that they only perm maybe once a year to get their hair to thin out some.

SouthernTease.....how much new growth do you have? You may not have enough natural hair come in yet to curl or whatever like BMore said. I checked out your fotki and your roots seemed like they could be 3a/b'ish but I dunno, it's hard to tell. I remember when silvergirl was transitioning the weight of her relaxed hair made her natural hair look like waves and when she bc'd it was curlier.

I know I'm definitely not in the 4s... and not a 3c...
my hair is not that curly... my natural curls are very loose
I know I'm somewhere between a 2c-3b or some combination
on those... if ya'll look at my nape in my fotki photos... you'll
see my hair lies flat down... it's straight... It doesn't curl up at all.
SEE: Well, maybe you can't see this is not a good example...
Anyway... the back of my hair has very very loose curls (waves
if you will) and as we get closer to the crown it gets progressively curlier... I dunno how many types/textures I'm dealing with.

SouthernTease.....how much new growth do you have? You may not have enough natural hair come in yet to curl or whatever like BMore said. I checked out your fotki and your roots seemed like they could be 3a/b'ish but I dunno, it's hard to tell. I remember when silvergirl was transitioning the weight of her relaxed hair made her natural hair look like waves and when she bc'd it was curlier.

I was going to say the same thing, she looks like more of a 3a/3b just like my daughters hair. Her hair change texture when she turned 5 it got thicker, & culyer. She has the deepest waves when I don't use aloe vera on her hair to make it smooth. It is frizzy at the ends but easy to comb for the longest she had two diffrent types of hair and I cut it off this may, she loves the puff ball look.

I know I'm definitely not in the 4s... and not a 3c...
my hair is not that curly... my natural curls are very loose
I know I'm somewhere between a 2c-3b or some combination
on those... if ya'll look at my nape in my fotki photos... you'll
see my hair lies flat down... it's straight... It doesn't curl up at all.
SEE: Well, maybe you can't see this is not a good example...
Anyway... the back of my hair has very very loose curls (waves
if you will) and as we get closer to the crown it gets progressively curlier... I dunno how many types/textures I'm dealing with.

Your roots look like mines did when I was stretching. I'm a 4a. My hair in the nape is like that too just thinner. It lays on my neck but it's a looser pattern than rest of my hair. It's more like a 3b/c. You're probably in the 3 range though. Your relaxed hair might be weighing it down. You wont know for sure until you chop. Your texture also could have changed since you were a child. Some people's changes from hormones at different stages in their life, most often in childhood and during puberty.

I'm not doing "THE BIG CHOP"
So... it will be a very long time
before I really know my texture.
As I said in earlier posts... I'm not
really concerned with what my hair type is...
I think its kind of pointless...
I'm more interested in meeting other women
with hair types similar to mines...
Naturally Wavy (Loose Curls) & Highly Textured...
Where ya'll at?

Last edited:
I'm not doing "THE BIG CHOP"
So... it will be a very long time
before I really know my texture.
As I said in earlier posts... I'm not
really concerned with what my hair type is...
I think its kind of pointless...
I'm more interested in meeting other women
with hair types similar to mines...
Naturally Wavy (Loose Curls) & Highly Textured...
Where ya'll at?

Did you check out Camellia's hair? She's a 2. Outside of her and Allandra I don't think there are many 2's here on the board. Most people here are relaxed and at least 3s.

I'm in the 3's. You look like a 3a or-something to me. If I put no product in my hair and airdry it, my hair waves just like that not curls and my nape lays flat as well. My hair also straightens out easily.

The 2's I've seen IRL, they don't get relaxers so if you were getting those you probably weren't quite a 2, more like a 3a.

The hair typing thing is hard, I would probably just focus on a regimen that works for you. I even find that some things that work for others with my same hair type, dosen't work for me.

There is another long hair discussion site that has a 2c/3a support group. I think the naturally curly site has one as well. If there are others w/that type here, perhaps you can start one here too.

shes right, my hair looked like type 2b/c 3a when it was growing out, it was crazy , because when i chopped the relaxed ends off , i turned out to be more of a 3c - 3b ish
so you really dont know untill your 100% natural.

Back