Black & Hispanic: Mixed Hair; What are your techniques?

PanamasOwn said:
I do not mean to offend anyone. Or come off in a harsh manner, but stating that I was black-hispanic was how I indicated my hair type as I stated in a previous post. I have not gone to many hair dressers and those that I have gone to, have not been able to explain my hair type to me. By me stating that I am black-hispanic, most people kinda understood what I was talking about. Until LHCF, I really didnt know the varying hair types, so I identified myself with what I knew my culture, no harm in that right? I came on here to get help with my hair and get educated on the things that I did not know so that I can better understand my hair. My own mother does not have the same hair texture as mine, so you can see my fustration. I dont have many friends with my type of hair either, and whatever catergory my hair falls into, I clearly still do not know it yet, that is why I used my culture as the opener to my hair situation, not to offend anyone or appear better, but if thats all I know, and have never been told anything different, even by a professional, how am I genuiely supposed to know? I found LHCF on accident, while looking for a new hairstyle. Hoping to find other girls with my type of hair to see if they have had/ or are having the same issues I have fell upon becasue I was finding no answers by myself.
Ok, hon. You can stop apologizing. We get it.:)

It's hard to say what hair type you are because although you've labeled a folder 'natural', it looks like you may have a wave nouveau.

Just looking at your roots, I would venture that you are at the very least a 3c, maybe with some 4a sprinkled in to boot.

Your hair also looks kind of fine. I would recommend sistalick's article/regimen as well as KiniKake's folder.

camellia said:
It's okay!:)

I don't think you offended anyone. Hair typing can be tricky (to me anyway :look: ) I'm not 100% sure of my own type, let alone anyone else's.

When you first find LHCF there can be such a ton of information that it really overwhelms you. I'd suggest making sure you keep your hair properly moisturized, that was key for me in getting my hair on the track to health. Take a look at some of the ladies albums or siggy pics and try to find someone with hair similar to yours, that might help also.
I was not offended too. Hair typing can be very difficult. Although, Camellia's own is very easy to cast as perfect. She has type P hair....Type "perfect" hair.

I hate you and I am giving you evil eye:evil:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::perplexed:ohwell::look::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Did you use the resource's a gave you, PanamasOwn?
ETA: When you said "black" and "hispanic, i instantly knew you were talking about 3b-c type hair. Does your hair look like this
EBONYstill.jpg

Or This:
leilaarcieri.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you so much... I didnt want anyone to be mad at me..I just need help with this head of mine...from the pictures, I forgot to put up my natural photos, Ill do that tonight.. BUt the dec 06 ones are me texturixed and the later ones are me relaxed. I hate the length (but I have no bad ends) and want to reach the next level like, yesterday. But I know...patience.

PanamasOwn said:
Thank you so much... I didnt want anyone to be mad at me..I just need help with this head of mine...from the pictures, I forgot to put up my natural photos, Ill do that tonight.. BUt the dec 06 ones are me texturixed and the later ones are me relaxed. I hate the length (but I have no bad ends) and want to reach the next level like, yesterday. But I know...patience.

Don't sweat it.:grin:

MoMo...Waay OT, but your siggy is too cute! Looks like my first attempt to set with Carusos! (I now know to leave the small rollers ALONE!)

You look like some variation of a type 4 to me. Type 4s can have waves too. Waves is not necessairly an indicator of being a type 2. Your hair doesnt look any different from a majority of the members on this site. So it looks like you are in good company and can take advice from many of the ladies here regardless of ethnicity.

Do you have any sort of a regimen yet?

Last edited:
OnAHairQuest said:
You look like some variation of a type 4 to me. Type 4s can have waves too. Waves is not necessairly an indicator of being a type 2. Your hair doesnt look any different from a majority of the members on this site. So it looks like you are in good company and can take advice from many of the ladies here regardless of ethnicity.

Do you have any sort of a regimen yet?

I agree with this.

Welcome PanamasOwn,
You are going to learn so much on here. Just be patient, wade through the information, don't feel bad if a product doesn't work, just keep it moving, eventually you'll find a routine that works and you will be so familiar with and pleased with your hair. I wish you all the best.
~Hopeful:)

ITA. Blacks and hispanics both have a wide variety of different hair textures so ethnicity is not necessarily important in trying to find the best products for your hair. You should first try to "type" your hair to the best of your ability. This will give you a better reference to go off of. Next, find a stylist that will listen to you and who knows how to handle a variety of textures. Most people have a variety of textures on their head, and a good stylist will know how to treat different types of hair. As far as products go, once you know your hair type and what your hair is lacking (moisture, protein, etc...) you can start trying different product that can make up for anything you are lacking. I think a great place for you to start would be looking into relaxed threads since you are relaxed. I believe you will be able to find a lot of information that can get you started on how to properly care for relaxed hair. Good Luck and welcome !!

I agree with this. After being on this board for a while, you may decide to go natural. My niece is Black and Puerto Rican, with a lot of thick, 3b/c/4a hair. My sister, who is Black has the same hair type as her daughter, so I don't think ancestry alone is what matters, but I get what you mean! Good luck!

Back