Nappy head with Coarse Hair

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Yep that's me. And Its a problem. I'm not sure what to do. This is the main reason why I keep cutting. Whenever I straighten my hair some sections are hard and coarse. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what. I just flatironed this evening and the ends are rough, rough and more rough. I don't want to keep having to cut my hair but if I can't get this under control I am going to lose another few inches. Anyone have any recommendations?

Qhemet products were the first ones that worked for me after I went natural. Prior to that my hair was ruff. It even handled my scab hair until it grew out. If you are using cones or something that coats your hair that may be causing a problem for you. What products are you currently using?

Thanks for answering!

Well, I'm using a plethora of things (unfortunately). Things in my regular rotation are:

Abba Complete Shampoo
Hello Hydration (Herbal Essence)
Infusium shampoos and conditioners
Fantasia Sparkle light Gel
Kinky Curly Custard
Beyond the Zone Noodlehead

I am sure there are more but my brain is to foggy to recall :lol: I'm sleepy..lol

Can you tell me more about your personal experience with the Qhemet line. Where can I buy/see product information?

ps - I am giving my roomate the scissors tonight because I am very tempted :ohwell:

i have very coarse tightly coiled 4b hair. like my friend reffered to it as the "brillo pad". when i was natural s curl was the only thing that softened my hair. i highly recommend it.

I have the same problem. I find that Olive oil works for me. I rub it on the ends every morning and evening and so far I have notice the ends are much softer. Also I don't use harsh shampoos on my hair because it dries the ends of my hair out. I use Dr. Bonner castile soaps or Black soap.

I had that problem with I flat ironed after my BC. Everything would be soft and smooth but those ends were looking rough and felt coarse. One thing that helped was to flat iron in smaller sections. I ended up cutting my hair because I attributed it to scab hair. I haven't flat ironed my hair since but hopefully next time I do, I won't have that issue.

Last edited:
u have totally described my hair; mostly 4/b, brittle, dry, coarse.

that is why i texlax. i would be bald (not that there's anything wrong with that) if i didn't.

Are you using a leave-in conditioner? (a creamy one, not a watery one)

I find that the leave-in more important than any styling or moisturizing product. Use regular conditioner in the shower, then your leave-in, then your styling creams/gels/oils.

Oh, and I hate Infusium stuff! :)

I had that same problem with my 4a hair when I first went natural. I found that deep conditioning under a hooded dry for 30 minutes and adding a little oil to my conditioner every week, plus con washes a few times a week helped to soften my hair. Hope you find some thing that works for you.

When you flat-iron, are you using an oil on each section prior to straightening? That should help with some of the roughness.

I think youshould just keep it moist(your hair sounds like mine so id recommend proline sof sheen). A great product for flat iorning is keracare pressing creme

Thank you ladies!! Great tips for me to try. I think it also has to do with my blow drying technique as well. Man once you really start caring for your hair it really becomes a challenge :)

What really helped my dry, coarse hair is sleeping in a plastic cap. I believe MizaniMami was doing this also. It has really made a difference, I moisturize with SIDR and seal with an oil put my plastic cap and satin cap then bedtime.

Water is the best friend you never knew you had!

1) Depending how long it's been since you had the BC, it seems like you might have some scab hair left...
2) Conquer the moisturizing routine if you do nothing else. My hair has made a complete 180 since I started moisturizing faithfully. Some people say it's not important to moisturize more than once a day...I used to think that way as well...then I started doing it and I no longer have those hard ends anymore.

Please Please Please try it. Plus, it can be as little as wetting you hair when your in the shower every night (don't do this in the winter if you take showers in the morning) or doing con washes every other day (which shouldn't be a problem if you have twa anyway...these really helped me once I found the right conditioner. I would reccomend a water based condtioner like the Suave cheapies...so build up won't be a problem) Find a good leave in...I like S-curl in warmer weather and in cooler weather but like to follow it up with a good oil (I use WGO).

ACV washes also helped me alot with the moisturizing routine. I'm on the no pics till Chirstmas challenge...but my old albums are still up so if you want to check out my first transition to my september hair you can see the change in the difference moisture has made for me. HTH.

password is: happynappy

BrownSkin2 said:
I had that same problem with my 4a hair when I first went natural. I found that deep conditioning under a hooded dry for 30 minutes and adding a little oil to my conditioner every week, plus con washes a few times a week helped to soften my hair. Hope you find some thing that works for you.

Ditto. I didn't see a deep conditioner listed in your list (or one I recognized), and this is a must when you're flat ironing your hair. Le'Kair is a good one, but I absolutely love the ORS Replenishing Pak, very moisturizing! Use moisturizers, and be sure to use a heat protectant to avoid [further] heat damage. Good luck!

Back