Those with Coarse Hair ...

:look::rolleyes:
@ bolded :nono: Sorry it's not what it seems. Coarse hair is from the debil. All of those products that you listed are geared toward AA hair but they do nothing for steel wool(my hair). Maybe the hair that they targert is of a grade lower than coarse hair. Like fine hair. I've always wanted to have fine hair.:ohwell: I catch hell trrying to comb my hair so I don't any more. I had just relaxed my hair and was at the gym (I forgot my bandana) and one of the guys there was talking to me and said,"We men appriciate it when you ladies keep it real and stay natural. I like your hair." I just relaxed my hair a week ago.:ohwell: He could not tell. :wallbash: Hair has been defined as having 3 layer and most folks having only 2 layer. Us coarse haird folk have all 3 layer and then some.:rolleyes:

Yeah, it's more like 10.

I understand, but fine hair breaks super easily. You can deep condition for ever and not overstretch coarse hair. I think that evil concept of baggying was made for coarse hair, because fine hair explodes with baggying.

Good luck with finding products that make you hair feel soft. Maybe you should look into the biolage products. They're very rich. Or Lanza's Healing Moisture line. You need something very hydrating but with a little bit of protein (as opposed to fine hair that needs way more protein and not so much moisture from my experience).

Yeah, it's more like 10.

I understand, but fine hair breaks super easily.
You can deep condition for ever and not overstretch coarse hair. I think that evil concept of baggying was made for coarse hair, because fine hair explodes with baggying.

Good luck with finding products that make you hair feel soft. Maybe you should look into the biolage products. They're very rich. Or Lanza's Healing Moisture line. You need something very hydrating but with a little bit of protein (as opposed to fine hair that needs way more protein and not so much moisture from my experience).

That's the thing. I guess with so many layers, it's like nothing penetrates it. I use a SUPER relaxer, leave it on for no more than what it says on the box, 20 mins, and it still does not come out bone straight. idk..I dont want to leave it on longer than you know?

I think coarse hair snaps easily because it gets so dry... guess the grass is greener on the other side. But I would trade with you in a heartbeat :look:

I don't remember having a problem with relaxers taking, though it was 1/2 a lifetime ago. How would a natural know they have coarse hair? Are you all telling me that it is not the case that most natural type 4 hair feels wire if you run your fingers down the strand? Is this why I don't notice a difference between my before and after deep conditioning hair for 9/10 products? I also didn't notice a difference for baggying. I thought my fingers were just insensitive. Or maybe something was wrong with my porosity. Because for almost all products people have told me to try, I don't feel like it has much of an impact on my hair. Not that it does something bad to it, but that it has almost no noticeable effect.

I don't remember having a problem with relaxers taking, though it was 1/2 a lifetime ago. How would a natural know they have coarse hair? Are you all telling me that it is not the case that most natural type 4 hair feels wire if you run your fingers down the strand? Is this why I don't notice a difference between my before and after deep conditioning hair for 9/10 products? I also didn't notice a difference for baggying. I thought my fingers were just insensitive. Or maybe something was wrong with my porosity. Because for almost all products people have told me to try, I don't feel like it has much of an impact on my hair. Not that it does something bad to it, but that it has almost no noticeable effect.

I don't think so. When I was natural the strands felt coarse, rough, and thick. They are type 4's who dont have coarse hair. To me coarse means thick strands. You cna have type 4 hair, when you're curls are very tight, but the actual diameter of your strands are not wide.

I think coarse hair tends to have low porosity, maybe artemis can chime in. Like you, I never had a conditioner do anything magical for me. I never noticed a big difference.

That's the thing. I guess with so many layers, it's like nothing penetrates it. I use a SUPER relaxer, leave it on for no more than what it says on the box, 20 mins, and it still does not come out bone straight. idk..I dont want to leave it on longer than you know?

I think coarse hair snaps easily because it gets so dry... guess the grass is greener on the other side. But I would trade with you in a heartbeat :look:

That could be more of a porosity issue rather than a symptom of coarse hair...

I'm gonna do some digging on HB.com...brb.

Here's Sistaslick's articles on porosity. I read that coarse hair tends to be more porous...so maybe this could be helpful??

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/367189/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html?cat=69

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/375435/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html?cat=69

Sorry I can't be of more help, I am on the other side of the spectrum :ohwell:

Last edited:
I feel you OP. I have super coarse hair and in a sense I have given up. It's been 4 weeks since my last relaxer, which means that my roots are brick city for now & my hair is completely unmanageable. The only thing I can do now is pin it up and put a wig on it.

Sweating in the course of working out may be making things worse, but I had to make a choice between my hair and my body & for now, I choose my body.

I have had horrendous experiences with hair dressers throughout my life. They have either underprocessed or overprocessed, regardless of how much advance research I undertook.

I love this board, but a lot of the hair advice is impractical for my hair type. Stretching for months, bunning with 16 weeks of NG and things like that are unrealistic.

coarse hair is soooooo strong, it can take abuse! Also, because its so thick it looks "longer" like ponytails, etc. I want coarseeeeeeeeeee hairrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:look:

That's what I always thought too! My hair is really soft, which feels nice, but even though it has a super tight curl pattern you could blow on it and it would snap.

I guess everyone always thinks the grass is greener.

[/b]

:lachen::lachen:@ the bolded part...that is funny!

Anyway, I have "combination hair" and my back section is very coarse and resistant to relaxers. In fact, a few years ago, I tried to get that section relaxer-straight, and it broke off instead,:ohwell: causing a major setback. I learned (the hard way) that texlaxing is as straight as it's gonna get.

Finally, I have come to understand my hair and its needs. Since I prefer texlaxing anyway, I just process the rest of my hair to "match" the resistant back section. I handle my hair gently, avoid direct heat, and make sure it is always moisturized, which leads to softness. Overall, my hair and I get along just fine...now!

I agree w/Propurr4. It took me a looong time to understand my hair. And I still discover new tidbits every so often about what it needs, in order to behave.

I no longer fight with or against it. I have learned to love it....flaws and all. LOVE it and it'll love you back.

:look::rolleyes:
@ bolded :nono: Sorry it's not what it seems. Coarse hair is from the debil. All of those products that you listed are geared toward AA hair but they do nothing for steel wool(my hair).[/B] Maybe the hair that they targert is of a grade lower than coarse hair. Like fine hair. I've always wanted to have fine hair.:ohwell: I catch hell trrying to comb my hair so I don't any more. I had just relaxed my hair and was at the gym (I forgot my bandana) and one of the guys there was talking to me and said,"We men appriciate it when you ladies keep it real and stay natural. I like your hair." I just relaxed my hair a week ago.:ohwell:

@ bolded - I'm trying to stay away from Keracare. I LOVE humecto, but I refuse to pay top dollar for drugstore ingredients.

THAT IS HYSTERICAL!! MY SISTER did the same thing to me. hahaha, she was like, well your edges aren't gonna lay down flat if you don't PERM YOUR HAIR.. and I'm like.. I did.:sad:

This is really interesting. ven with a relaxer, I can touch the entire length of the strand and it realls rough sometimes. I don't think kinky=coarse. My godaughter's hair is kinky but it's fine. I love your hair btw..

I've been thinking about DC twice a week. I really dont want to but this seems like the only way my hair can be softer. Like I said I dont doubt coarse hair can be soft, it's just hard for it to stay that way for a long period of time. That's the real challenge IMO.

I can't take the coarseness either.. SOMETHING's gotta give. Like, I have the coarse/dry thing going on. And I agree, Kinky doesn't equal coarse. My other sister's hair is kinky. One time, we were gtting ready for church, she cw'd, blowdried and flatironed her hair anddd, I was still putting my hair in a ponytail.. :ohwell: Her hair is natural and I was like 4 weeks post...

Coarse also doesn't mean thick. I know a LOT of ppl w thick hair that isn't coarse.

Maybe I am in "Grass is always greener" mode, but from what I can tell, coarse haired chicks have it made :yep: Most AA products are geared toward coarser hair. Keracare, DE, and Nairobi. I really wanted to love Keracare Humecto, DE Stimulations, and Motions Moisture Plus, but that mineral oil in the dc just doesn't do anything positive for my hair :ohwell:

All those cuticle layers, you can use more heat than me, dc longer, twirl your hair in your fingers when you're bored :lachen: Shoot, what's the problem?! :look: :giggle:

You're Wilin'

:lachen::lachen:@ the bolded part...that is funny!

Anyway, I have "combination hair" and my back section is very coarse and resistant to relaxers. In fact, a few years ago, I tried to get that section relaxer-straight, and it broke off instead,:ohwell: causing a major setback. I learned (the hard way) that texlaxing is as straight as it's gonna get.

Finally, I have come to understand my hair and its needs. Since I prefer texlaxing anyway, I just process the rest of my hair to "match" the resistant back section. I handle my hair gently, avoid direct heat, and make sure it is always moisturized, which leads to softness. Overall, my hair and I get along just fine...now!

What do you use to moisturise and how long do you leave your relaxer/texturizer in for? How did you figure out that balance?

I have VERY coarse hair.... I mean the stylists when I would get a relaxer would be like WOW your hair fights back!! I very often left the salon with underprocessed hair. I have been transitioning since May/June and I have found that in my natural state my hair is MUCH easier to balance (moisture and protein). I have just started using HE Hello Hydration mixed with a little water in a spray bottle as a leave in and I "seal" with a mixture of coconut oil, shea butter, olive oil, and tea tree oil (oh and a tiny bit of glycerin in that mix) my hair has NEVER been so soft. Oh and I DC with the pantene mask not the r&N one but the moisture one.... For protein depending on how much I need I use either an egg, aphogee 2 minute, aphogee 2 step or cholesterol.

Course hair is very difficult believe me I know but once you find the balance it will soften up and stick with it b/c if I don't do what I know I'm supposed to do my hair always come back and cuts me.... I'm not even joking about that either.

I think that's why I'm goign natural, I can't have the relaxer as being a 'factor' as to why my hair dries out.. and the other bolded was funny becasue coarse hair will threaten you!!!

Yeah, it's more like 10.

I understand, but fine hair breaks super easily. You can deep condition for ever and not overstretch coarse hair. I think that evil concept of baggying was made for coarse hair, because fine hair explodes with baggying.

I use the leave in from this line, they don't have a deep condish which is what I really want. The stuff is also kinda 'spensivee

That's right!! I wish my hair would just retain moisture!! what is the big deal. I would like to know what in the structure of my hair prevents it from retaining moisture.

I feel you OP. I have super coarse hair and in a sense I have given up. It's been 4 weeks since my last relaxer, which means that my roots are brick city for now & my hair is completely unmanageable. The only thing I can do now is pin it up and put a wig on it.

Sweating in the course of working out may be making things worse, but I had to make a choice between my hair and my body & for now, I choose my body.

I have had horrendous experiences with hair dressers throughout my life. They have either underprocessed or overprocessed, regardless of how much advance research I undertook.

I love this board, but a lot of the hair advice is impractical for my hair type. Stretching for months, bunning with 16 weeks of NG and things like that are unrealistic.

I think you should get braids for the time being. The reason I don't have them is because I can't find ppl that will braid it the way I want. You can just put in the braids and spritz it w braid spray every day after you 'rinse' your scalp. Then pick up your hair routine when you have more time to do research.

AMEN! I have had MANY stylists ask me not to come back :blush: 'cause my hair was too thick and coarse (especially when I was natural). I am a thick 4b (zzzz) with very coarse hair. The picture in my signature was 1 hour after a fresh relaxer.

Many of the tips on this board don't apply to me. My hair LOVES tons of protein! Stretching ...? Absolutely NOT :nono: if I want hair on my head, etc.

Last edited:
^^ That's funny. Stretching really isn't a problem for me. But, I do always look a HAWT mess. People are always asking me if I have a relaxer. I think the key to stretching coarse brittle hair is to leave it alone. I find it easier to stretch in the summer.

They do. It's called the Moi Moi Masque. I didn't think the leave in was moisturizing at all. I returned the whole line because it was too rich for my hair. The lady at Ulta said the line was for thick or coarse hair.

http://www.lanza.com/products/displ...=17&loc=show&headTitle= - Moi Moi Hair Masque

ooohhh, I didn't know you can buy this at ulta!! I bought it from a beauty supply store in Midtown wehre I know I got ripped off..:ohwell:

this is what I got:

http://www.lanza.com/products/displ...eadTitle= - Color-Preserving Trauma Treatment

It's supposed to work on the porosity 'problem' continuously. This smells A-Mazing.

ETA: I also got this. I let my little sister use it and it's too 'light' but I just realized its a protein tmt.. I thnk I'm just gonna return it.

This is a very interestng topic:lachen:. I also have course hair. Just the other day I was complaining because my hair does not hold moisture. I am having such a tough time to fine the proper conditioner that is moist enough for my hair. It is great to have course hair because I love my thick and fullness but then again it does have its points

ETA: I also got this. I let my little sister use it and it's too 'light' but I just realized its a protein tmt.. I thnk I'm just gonna return it.

Ahh, I love that stuff. It's perfect consistency for my hair. I'm waiting on my Healing strength stuff from sleekhair.com. You might want to check the out too. They are cheaper and ship quickly.

I lied- THIS is what I have. The bottles look identical so I'm sorry I got that confused.

So how's your hair doing with these prods? I was thinking of trying oyin's Juice N Berries next for a moisturiser for my new growth

What do you use to moisturise and how long do you leave your relaxer/texturizer in for? How did you figure out that balance?

Regarding the bolded part, I'm assuming you're asking about how did I figure out how long to keep the relaxer in...am I correct? If so, when I began texlaxing, it was by trial and error. Most of my hair would get straight using a regular strength lye relaxer, but the back (resistant) section would not, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, when I exceeded the recommended time, that section broke off. Furthermore, I was afraid to subject my hair to super strength, so I decided to stay with regular strength, cut the recommended processing time (25 minutes) in half and apply the relaxer to the back section first, then the front. Now, my whole head is underprocessed, and I love it!:grin:

As a daily moisturizer, I use plain water...sometimes I seal with an oil, sometimes I don't. I simply put water on the palms of my hands and apply it into my hair.

[/B]

Regarding the bolded part, I'm assuming you're asking about how did I figure out how long to keep the relaxer in...am I correct? If so, when I began texlaxing, it was by trial and error. Most of my hair would get straight using a regular strength lye relaxer, but the back (resistant) section would not, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, when I exceeded the recommended time, that section broke off. Furthermore, I was afraid to subject my hair to super strength, so I decided to stay with regular strength, cut the recommended processing time (25 minutes) in half and apply the relaxer to the back section first, then the front. Now, my whole head is underprocessed, and I love it!:grin:

As a daily moisturizer, I use plain water...sometimes I seal with an oil, sometimes I don't. I simply put water on the palms of my hands and apply it into my hair.

Yup! That's exactly what I meant, sorry for not being clearer. I always thought about texlaxing but I'm afraid of the relaxer drying out my hair..

Another coarse hair person in the house. I've dealt with this extra coarse hair all of my life. *sigh* I've tried many products that seem to work at first but then when my new growth kicks in all hell breaks loose. Anymore product recommendations ladies?

Has any coarse-head tried unrefined shea butter?

I have and that doesn't work for me. It's another one of those "People actually like this ish" type thing. :no no: not for me. But, like most things I revisit because I figure it HAS to be me...

This thread is awesome! I feel like an adopted child that has finally found her birth family!!!

I can totally sympathize with everyone in this thread because I know what you are going through. My new growth is hard as a brick. No matter what conditioner I use, my relaxed hair will feel nice and moisturized afterwards but that darn new growth will revert back to feeling hard as a brick within less than a day. I have tried countless moisturizers, oils, S-curl and the list goes on and on and that new growth will have no parts of any of it.

Stretching is NOT an option for me. I caved in and made an appointment with my stylist to get a touch-up next week (7 weeks post). She has warned me that I can't go much past 5 weeks without experiencing breakage and sure enough when my hair hit week six this week I am starting to experience a lot more breakage no matter how gentle I am.

I have often wondered am I really a 4B or am I a 4C, 4G or 4Z or some other category that has yet to be named because I look at the new growth pics of some relaxed ladies on the board who say they are 4B and my new growth looks nothing like theres. Their new growth is shiny and has much looser wave pattern (even at 10+ weeks post). My new growth, is hard, tight, coarse, dry balls that have little to no shine.

I had seriously thought about transitioning to natural last year and my mother reminded me of the nightmare she had dealing with my hair as a child. When I went home for Thanksgiving I saw some pictures of myself with my natural hair at age seven and that confirmed for me that I won't be going natural any time soon. It looked like a big pile of wool was attacking my scalp. :nono:

Like the other poster, I am also dealing with some serious hair hate right about now!

Has any coarse-head tried unrefined shea butter?

I have and that doesn't work for me. It's another one of those "People actually like this ish" type thing. :no no: not for me. But, like most things I revisit because I figure it HAS to be me...

BTW...my hair absolutely laughed at shea butter!

another coarse-haired girl checking in. my hair is always rough to the touch :sad: it is even more so now that i texlax instead of relaxing bone straight. but, i like the thickness that texlaxing and coarse hair affords so i generally just deal with it (but am currently weaved up in order to avoid it :ohwell:). now, if i could only get my moisturizing game right so my coarse hair could be both soft AND thick, i'd be happy.

as for unrefined shea butter, the only way i got that stuff to work was to spritz my hair with water, apply a moisturizing leave in, apply the shea butter to each section of braided hair and do a braid out. when i loosened each braid, my hair was moisturized for a good day or two. i was so friggin' excited. have any of you tried shea butter that way? every other way has done nothing for my hair.

how do you deal?

So I think I have to come to terms that I just have coarse hair and it will probably feel soft when it's dry. There's no product or technique that can actually help me get the hair that I want so, perhaps I just have hair that I have to accept.

When I say 'coarse', I mean it. My 'Kitchen' feels like velcro, no moisture product has worked so far for keeping moisture, the cuticle of my hair is smooth, but just rough.. ( I guess this statement isn't really true as, though I am a pj, I haven't tried EVERYTHING out there :lachen:)

Those that have rough hair, is it something you've just come to accept?

Have you tried mixing olive oil and coconut oil together. When my hair is dry, my new growth is horrible. I tried this mix before my relaxer overnight and the next morning my new growth was soft and easy to comb through. :blush:Just a suggestion.

Sounds like me. I thought I had a porosity issue after reading SistaSlick's article and doing the float test. Maybe I have coarse hair? i don't know what's "wrong" with it, to be honest. :perplexed

Shea butter... I use it for reducing frizz. I don't know about the moisturizing qualities, but it does make my twists look less frizzy, and they look better a few days longer than if I use another product or no product at all.

Ahh, I love that stuff. It's perfect consistency for my hair. I'm waiting on my Healing strength stuff from sleekhair.com. You might want to check the out too. They are cheaper and ship quickly.

You may also want to check out Amazon.com. I was eyeing the Healing Strength line myself and saw that on Amazon they are selling the Healing Strength shampoo, conditioner and serum as a box set for $32.00.

Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Lanza-LANZA-H..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1SVHZ2GS2W459C0CXH89

recently i have fallin in love with pure african shea butter. i use it when i dc or jus air dry and it makes my hair feel soo soft. my hair is thick thick thick lik one strand of hair has about the thickness of those coffee stirrers. so I use shea butter every nite on my hair and as a sunscreen it works for everything. then i put on redkens butter treat in the mornings before i put it in a bun or ponytail and always tuck my ends under or clip them cuz im transitioning and they're the weakest part of my hair.

I lied- THIS is what I have. The bottles look identical so I'm sorry I got that confused.

So how's your hair doing with these prods? I was thinking of trying oyin's Juice N Berries next for a moisturiser for my new growth

I love that stuff. My hair is coarse and it was One of the only things that has worked. But it used to be $9 a bottle and is now $11. If your order don't forget to listen to the podcast for the discount code.
I like it but I can't spend that much money anymore on it, I went through my first bottle so fast!
Trying to make my own dupe though :lol:

another coarse-haired girl checking in. my hair is always rough to the touch :sad: it is even more so now that i texlax instead of relaxing bone straight. but, i like the thickness that texlaxing and coarse hair affords so i generally just deal with it (but am currently weaved up in order to avoid it :ohwell:). now, if i could only get my moisturizing game right so my coarse hair could be both soft AND thick, i'd be happy.

as for unrefined shea butter, the only way i got that stuff to work was to spritz my hair with water, apply a moisturizing leave in, apply the shea butter to each section of braided hair and do a braid out. when i loosened each braid, my hair was moisturized for a good day or two. i was so friggin' excited. have any of you tried shea butter that way? every other way has done nothing for my hair.

Where did you get your unrefined from? Also, are you natch?

Back