My one year LHCF results! PICS!!!!

hillytmj

Well, it will officially be one year on July 31, but I thought I'd post earlier because I got my relaxer retouch last week.

My hair journey began in Jan. 2006 (pre-LHCF) after my bleached + relaxed hair was literally shedding everywhere. I found a great stylist who taught me good haircare basics - no direct heat, weekly DC's and to keep the hair moisturized. Here is a photo of my hair when it was fried, died and laid to the side. :lachen:(Actually, it was on the road to recovery here. I literally had see-through strands five months prior to this photo):

HPIM0367.jpg

My hair eventually became healthy again, but I could never get past necklength (that's when I realized that my stylist was scissor happy). Then in Nov. 2007, a friend of mine told me about LHCF. I didn't subscribe, but I started incorporating the advice that she shared with me - stretching relaxers to at least 8 weeks, doing my own rollersets at home and wearing a protective style (a phony pony for me). That advice led me to this photo, so I started at APL:

Freshly Relaxed 8-2-08.jpeg

Finally, I took the plunge and joined LHCF on July 31, 2008. I started wearing my hair up in a clip (my form of a protective style) and moisturizing/sealing ends. I also started taking my vitamins again (Geritol Multivitamin, B-Complex and a Nioxin Hair Vitamin). I was thrilled to hit my first goal, BSL, on Nov. 22 2008, only 4 months after I started:

Same day - another shot.jpg

This was amazing to me, so I thought, "Surely I'll reach MBL or WL by the one year mark!" Well, I didn't make those goals, but I'm very happy and grateful for what I have. I had a very rough year where I was ill from Nov. to April and I was laid off, so given the amount of stress I had on my body and mind, I'm thankful to God that I didn't lose my hair or it's health due to these problems.

Even though I've been on a BSL plateau since Nov., I do see progress. Most of the layers have grown out and it looks fuller, less like a U-shape. I'm not giving up hope. I'm going to continue my reggie and strive for MBL by December.

Here are the most current photos. In the 1st one, I just got my relaxer and the 2nd is after getting a trim yesterday. I have a caucasian friend who did it for me. She has had curly WL hair most of her life, so she understands my complaint about scissor-happy stylists and trims her own hair too:

Progress 2 - July 2009.jpg
Progress 3 - July 2009.jpg

Thank you everyone for all of your tips and support. LHCF is the best!

Last edited:
Here are a few lessons I learned along the way:

1. Don't be surprised if you have to adjust your reggie as your hair gets longer. I discovered that I'm working with multiple hair textures and have to treat each texture accordingly.

2. Do embrace doing your own hair. I still don't self relax, but doing the regular weekly care (wash, DCing) myself has kept me in tune with changes in my hair. Before LHCF, I NEVER, EVER washed my own hair or did anything to it. I was a slave to my stylist. :lachen:Knowing my hair prevented me from listening to my stylist's recent advice to cut the bottom 3 inches of my hair because it is texlaxed rather than bone straight like the rest of my hair. I knew the hair wasn't damaged, so I sought solutions other than the scissors!

3. Don't sleep on protective styling. I didn't do it at first, but when a few LHCF members suggested that I do it as a way to break my BSL plateau, I noticed a major retention difference. I've been bunning since May and as you can see from my trim, I hardly had to trim anything. It was more of a dusting. Prior to this, I was having to trim about a 1/2 inch each time.

Wow! Excellent progress! And your hair is so healthy and thick! :yep:

I love it. I wish my hair would thicken up and be nice and healthy thick from root to tip. :ohwell:

Another inspiration. Congrats!
I'm leary of the protective styles too. Two months ago, the tought of bunning made me cringe...now, I've actually experimented with a couple.

Congrats on your progress! Your story is truly inspiring. Continued success on your hair journey and in life!

pretty, pretty! What's your goal length, OP. How are your loved ones enjoying your hair? they must be just as excited as you are about it. It's beautiful.

Back