My mom's natural is breaking

I'm so worried about her hair. She came from Ghana to visit and her Natural BSL hair has now become shoulder length.

I asked her if she has changed anything she said no.

She washes about 2-3 times a week, with only shampoo (which she has done for years).

She moisturises and a braider comes to her house and braids it for her.

This is her usual routine.

The only change I can think of is she use to constantly have her hair in a headscarf and now she doesn't do this anymore.

I'm glad she's here now I can help her with it.

But I kinda don't know where to start.

I'm thinking to start with a trim cos her ends are looking haggered..

I'm gonna do a protein treatment and start getting her to condition after every wash. (she washes with her braids in).

Any more suggestions???

just wanted to say,,,sorry to hear about your mom's problem. Maybe some of the experiened ladies can come in here and give you some helpful advice...
i guess my question is...what type of fabric is this scarf she's been wearing? I know silk is better for our hair.

How does her hair feel when you touch it? Is it dry, hard or brittle?

Our hair needs moisture so I would recommend a heavy moisturizing deep c'd after the protein treatment.

good luck!

I'm so worried about her hair. She came from Ghana to visit and her Natural BSL hair has now become shoulder length.

I asked her if she has changed anything she said no.

She washes about 2-3 times a week, with only shampoo (which she has done for years).

She moisturises and a braider comes to her house and braids it for her.

This is her usual routine.

The only change I can think of is she use to constantly have her hair in a headscarf and now she doesn't do this anymore.

I'm glad she's here now I can help her with it.

But I kinda don't know where to start.

I'm thinking to start with a trim cos her ends are looking haggered..

I'm gonna do a protein treatment and start getting her to condition after every wash. (she washes with her braids in).

Any more suggestions???

Good start, how is her thyroid?

That sucks. I hate to hear/read that. I'm wondering if it could possibly be the water in your area? I read (on LHCF and other places) that hard water can cause hair breakage.

my mother's hair is breaking too; the worst part is i dont know if it is because she is transitioning or because she is stressed because i believe even when she was getting relaxers her hair was breaking. i have begun DCing more but i heard that porosity control can help restore hair to a healthier state if it is brittle and breaking (i think this is right); as someone else mentioned there are plenty of natural women on here who may have been through something similar with a concrete solution for you.

That sucks. I hate to hear/read that. I'm wondering if it could possibly be the water in your area? I read (on LHCF and other places) that hard water can cause hair breakage.

The only thing is she only just arrived like 2 days ago. I don't think she has washed her hair yet.

my mother's hair is breaking too; the worst part is i dont know if it is because she is transitioning or because she is stressed because i believe even when she was getting relaxers her hair was breaking. i have begun DCing more but i heard that porosity control can help restore hair to a healthier state if it is brittle and breaking (i think this is right); as someone else mentioned there are plenty of natural women on here who may have been through something similar with a concrete solution for you.

I will try DCing. I'm sorry to hear about your moms hair too.

I'm transitiing to natural and am having a lot of breakage. I've been cut to a short Rihanna like style now. This has helped.

OT: Sorry ladies I don't know how to multi quote.

Back