My HIGHLIGHTED Honeys, I need your help

KaramelDiva1978

So I turned 30 in January and I swear every piece of gray hair multiplied itself times 2 and my edges are a HOT MESS!!!! :lachen: Spring is here and while I'm losing weight and bringing sexy back from its winter hibernation, I'm so hearing the highlights call my name. I've never had highlights done professionally and I think its gonna look awesome on my APL hair.

But I've also heard the horror stories of damage and breakage. A girl at Mastercuts did my co-worker's and they look oh so fly!!! She hasn't had any hair issues and she has shedding and breakage prior to the highlights.

Besides protein and lots of conditioning, what else do I need to do before I take the plunge??? I don't want any setbacks if I can help it.

No bleach. I had to tell the guy not to use bleach to lift the color. He said he couldn't make it as light as I wanted without bleach so we compromised on the color a bit.

Hi KaramelDiva,

I feel you!!!!

I am going on 31 with way toooo much gray hair :wallbash:

Last week, I decided to get highlights and I LOVE them!!!! I kept going back and forth and finally could not take it any longer.

Given that I have a relaxer, I have to give it up, b/c I actually want to go lighter than, in a few months, so I have decided to give up my relaxers
:(( I will show you some pics in a day or so what my highlights look like....I dont have my camera on me

Cid~

Thanks for the response ladies,

Sareca, I'll have to remember no bleach, makes sense, this is what could cause the damage, huh. I'm also glad to see you do the ayurvedics products too, so I know I can keep my reggie.

Cid,
I can't wait to see your results and the color. Wow, you're willing to give up the relaxer for a lighter color!!! You're good. I know that's not an option for me right now, talk about HOTT MESS :nono::nono:, it would be against every DIVA rule book in the world for me! :grin: I'm glad someone is feeling me on the premature greys. I still have a lot of youth left to worry about grey taking it away from me.

Any other color tips ladies? Please post them!!

I have highlights with bleach but I'm natural. If you're relaxed, I'd say don't do it. Go with something darker.

Back