My hair is mega dry..... help!!!

What actually works for you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

4bforreal!!!

Being a 4b hair type is hard but it is even harder to find the right products for my hair. Im here to tell you shea butter doesnt work, so what now?? Im left to doing sour cream,honey and different oils from my kitchen.... I want to be able to buy a product and stick to it, and not have to look in my refrigerator and cabinet to see if i have ingrediants to make something for my hair.... Looking for what worked for you. No offense but im looking for answers from 4b heads and comb breakers:drunk:jk, but really i need your help.

~God bless:yep:

I have naturally dry hair. I have to work to keep it moisturized.

I do hot oil treatments with olive oil and weekly deep conditioning treatments to keep it nice and supple.

I only use commercial products to condition I don't have time and really don't like to be bothered with mixing different stuff for my hair.

no what exactly is that?

I COPIED AND PASTED THIS FROM A THREAD I MADE FROM BHM. THERE IS A LOT OF HELPFUL INFORMATION HERE AND SINCE YOU'RE NEW, THESE ARTICLES ARE GREAT TO START YOU ON YOUR JOURNEY.

To clarify means to take a clarifying shampoo or another agent to clean the hair to rid it of product buildup.

Porosity is the measure of the hair's ability to absorb moisture. This is determined by the condition of the hair's cuticle layer (the overlapping scales of the hair shaft), and is rated as low, normal, and high. In normal, healthy hair, the cuticle is compact and inhibits the penetration of the hair shaft by moisture - both moisture going in, and moisture coming out. When the cuticle is overly compact and prevents the penetration of the hair by moisture it has low porosity. Hair with low porosity is harder to process, and is resistant to haircolor and perms

This should be recommended reading for all Newbies that are looking to build a regimen and understand the growth process.

Trust me, take an afternoon where you aren't busy, sit down, and read. There is valuable information here that can be used to AVOID setbacks on your journey.

Do not pass GO until you read these articles.
smiley2.gif
Sisterslick is a member over at LHCF who has taken time out to write many different articles about hair care. She also sports a beautiful head of hair herself.

After you read these articles, click on the last link for even MORE articles about styling, relaxing tips, and checking your hair's porosity. The hair porosity saved my hair's life one evening. LOL

How to build a regimen

How To Select a Moisturising shampoo

How to select a moisturising conditioner

4 Keys To A Healthy Scalp

Growing out Black Hair

Protein and Moisture Balance--When to say NO to Moisture!

Shedding vs. Breakage

Hair Breakage 101 Protein vs. Moisture

For more articles visit...

Sisterslick's fotki

Last edited:
I'm relaxed, but my NG gets dry, but since i've started cowashing regularly it helps a LOT. Also, i've tried tons of products but the ones that work the best are Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner and Giovanni products. I will also sometimes mix the Aveda Brilliant line in as well. That keeps my hair and NG soft. then afterwards I use Chi silk infusion, Aveda Universal Styling Creme and/or Giovanni Vitapro leave-in spray and air dry my hair in plaits, one plait, braids (no extensions)---these are the forms i use when i'm stretching cuz it keeps my NG from lookin like a desert---but when my relaxer is fresh I'll rollerset using lottabody wrap n' set lotion. I don't really blow dry that much anymore. Point is, these products applied to wet hair helps me seal in my moisture so my hair isn't NEARLY as dry as it used to be. HTH!
p.s.: my hair is more 4a (sorry), but the back of my head where i'm more prone to breakage is 4b and thats where it helps the most!

Last edited:
4BFOR...WELCOME!!!!

There is a plethora of information on this forum regarding dry hair. Some ladies go the mix it up themselves route (don't know about sour cream myself.) And some ladies go for products, product line, or search for ingredient formulations within a product.

That takes time, a lot of logged reading hours, and perseverance.

supermodelsonya was a doll for posting such a wealth of info for you in one place.

For now, start out with whatever haircare products you currently have, read their ingredients list. Since you have dry hair, you are looking to add more moisture (not oil) to your hair. Give yourself a longer time with conditioner on your hair - try wrapping your hair with a hot steaming hand towel covered in plastic for 10 mins.

Congratulations on your choice to join this hair journey with us and I wish you the best and hair as long and healthy as you want it.

I would have to agree with Bigbrowneyez. Co-washing has brought back so much moisture into my hair. Shea butter did not work for me either. All it did was weigh my hair down. I now use Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO). EVOO is much lighter and I usually seal my hair with this after I wash it. It keeps my hair moisturized all day.

I qualify as a comb breaker and even have the evidence.

Moment of silence please while viewing exhibit one. Cause of death: Combing 4B hair during a wash:

IMG_2892-vi.jpg

Now I concur on Shea Butter not working. I will also tell you that kitchen recipes didn't bring me any joy either. I hate working hard so I settled for what's already made and sold in stores. I'm not a stickler for non-sulphates so CVS is a mine to me. But if you are, Giovanni, J/A/S/O/N, Aubrey Organics...can be found in grocery stores or health stores. And Trader Joe's shampoos and conditioners are also good "organic" products you could use.

I would suggest you shampoo your hair well to strip it of all products, then DC (AO HSR is a good one to use). Then ACV rinse. Dilute the ACV till you almost can't see it's color (err on the side of caution). You can add essential oils if you like (I like Lavender and Rosemary). And let that be the last rinse. I hope you're washing in braids coz shrinkage when wet is a ****. Towel dry. If you can let you hair airdry in the braids, do so, otherwise just undo a section and drench it well with S Curl No Drip Activator Spray. It may look whitish if hair is wet but the white will disappear. Comb into a shrunken do. Don't panic, it'll get better. When you hair dries, it'll feel hard, but that's just a phase. Apply S Curl again once your hair dries and braid it. So you'll pull out a small section, wet with S Curl to make combing easy. Pull out another and so on. Till you have a good sized braidable section. Comb through one last time and braid. (S Curl gives the slip of conditioner so combing is easy. It also helps to stretch the hair as you comb like I'm doing here.)

Put on a plastic cap, plastic bag or wrap Saran wrap on your head for the night. The next morning your hair will feel so "lush". It'll be wet when you take the cap off, so take advantage of that to style into what you want. It'll dry some but it won't go hard. It'll remain moist. You won't have to moisturize again. Just braid for the night and baggy again. Your hair will remain soft and moisturized till you wash it.

Glamazon wrote something the other day that resonated so well with me. She said:
I think a lot of us would be better off if we just wash our hair with a moisturizing shampoo when it gets dirty, deep condition regularly, moisturize/seal and dust our ends. It's when we try to become kitchen chemists that a lot of us have setbacks. Stop trying to do so much, stick with the simple stuff that works.
I couldn't agree more. :yep:

Last edited:
4B what is your regi? What are the specific products that you are using? I battled dryness for as long as I remember. I now know it was way too much protein and probably using shampoos with sulfates on top of the protein. I will tell you my simple regi, using only 4 products. Keracare 1 & 2 - shampoo and conditioned (no more then 15minutes DC with the conditioner), followed by Roux Mendex porosity control for 30 seconds and rince with COLD water. Apply CHI silk infusion and roller set. This has turned my hair around. Good luck.

@HijabiFlyGirl thanks for the welcome and the info.
@Nonie too funny with that comb of yours
@QueenNefi i wash my hair every other day with aphogee and do a protein wash with aphogee protein, and make my own leave-in conditioner from time to time because nothing really works

@QueenNefi i wash my hair every other day with aphogee and do a protein wash with aphogee protein, and make my own leave-in conditioner from time to time because nothing really works

maybe your hair is dry because all of the protein that you use? if you're using aphogee you should also be using a moisturizing conditioner after anything that contains lots of protein like aphogee products

I'm a 4a/4b natural & what helps me with dryness is the following:

1) DCing on dry hair (when I do it)

2) Not shampooing w/ sulfates every time I wash my hair: over time, I realized that the sulfates make my hair dry when I use them too often. Now I use KBB's Juicy Shampoo bar when I don't have to clarify.

3) Keeping my protein/moisture balance in check

4) Roux Porosity Control: my hair is very porous & Roux helps me to keep my cuticles down

5) Never sleeping with my hair loose--even if it's in a satin bonnet

6) Drinking water regularly

7) DCing every time I wash my hair

Last edited:
I qualify as a comb breaker and even have the evidence.

Moment of silence please while viewing exhibit one. Cause of death: Combing 4B hair during a wash:

IMG_2892-vi.jpg

Now I concur on Shea Butter not working. I will also tell you that kitchen recipes didn't bring me any joy either. I hate working hard so I settled for what's already made and sold in stores. I'm not a stickler for non-sulphates so CVS is a mine to me. But if you are, Giovanni, J/A/S/O/N, Aubrey Organics...can be found in grocery stores or health stores. And Trader Joe's shampoos and conditioners are also good "organic" products you could use.

I would suggest you shampoo your hair well to strip it of all products, then DC (AO HSR is a good one to use). Then ACV rinse. Dilute the ACV till you almost can't see it's color (err on the side of caution). You can add essential oils if you like (I like Lavender and Rosemary). And let that be the last rinse. I hope you're washing in braids coz shrinkage when wet is a ****. Towel dry. If you can let you hair airdry in the braids, do so, otherwise just undo a section and drench it well with S Curl No Drip Activator Spray. It may look whitish if hair is wet but the white will disappear. Comb into a shrunken do. Don't panic, it'll get better. When you hair dries, it'll feel hard, but that's just a phase. Apply S Curl again once your hair dries and braid it. So you'll pull out a small section, wet with S Curl to make combing easy. Pull out another and so on. Till you have a good sized braidable section. Comb through one last time and braid. (S Curl gives the slip of conditioner so combing is easy. It also helps to stretch the hair as you comb like I'm doing here.)

Put on a plastic cap, plastic bag or wrap Saran wrap on your head for the night. The next morning your hair will feel so "lush". It'll be wet when you take the cap off, so take advantage of that to style into what you want. It'll dry some but it won't go hard. It'll remain moist. You won't have to moisturize again. Just braid for the night and baggy again. Your hair will remain soft and moisturized till you wash it.

Glamazon wrote something the other day that resonated so well with me. She said:

I couldn't agree more. :yep:

This makes so much sense. I've been brewing tea and making conditioners to help soften my 4B hair and nothing but keeping it wet daily works. I like the organic shampoos and conditioners too. They work well without the heavy coated feeling.

I'm 4B relaxed w/ naturally dry BSL sandy hair. These help keep my hair baby soft:
1. Watch not to overload on aphogee (protein)
2. Wash with cream of nature shampoo
3. Moisturize with S-curl
4. DC on dry hair for 4 hours with Aubrey Organics- Honey Suckle Rose from Vitamin Shop
5. Baggie my ends every night
I just discovered this mixture of products and my hair has Neva Eva been so soft. My hair is so soft I just keep touchen it all day lol!!!

Last edited:
chicoro's method of sealing in moisture could also be used in conjunction with the advice above

apply in this order

liquid based product - I use just a mixture of glycerine, water and aloe juice (prepared products cud be care free curl gold, ausie hair insurance, hawiian silky 14 in 1)

oil based product - I use avocado/olive oil or shea butter

cream based product - any creamy leave in I use herbal essences long term relatioship or aussie moist

Last edited:
4bforreal - I used to have super dry hair. Shea butter didn't do jack for my hair either. What has helped my hair is co-washing and S-Curl No Drip. My hair is so soft all the time that it's unreal (for me because I've had dry hair all my life).

I understand where you're coming from because I'm having a hard time obtaining moisture too :sad:

Being a 4b hair type is hard but it is even harder to find the right products for my hair. Im here to tell you shea butter doesnt work, so what now?? Im left to doing sour cream,honey and different oils from my kitchen.... I want to be able to buy a product and stick to it, and not have to look in my refrigerator and cabinet to see if i have ingrediants to make something for my hair.... Looking for what worked for you. No offense but im looking for answers from 4b heads and comb breakers:drunk:jk, but really i need your help.

~God bless:yep:

Maybe that's the problem first of all....maybe washing to much! I am not a 4b but a 4a/3c and my hair is uber dry.

I know because I've recently been using JBCO and believe me when I tell you I have to literally oil my entire scalp every night! My hair and scalp eats it up but it is helping my hair so much at the same time. Just give it a try. I also wash or started cw once a wk.
and my hair and scalp are still bone dry. But once I oil my scalp with the JBCO there is a world of difference. Just trying to help! Oh, just thought of another solution you might try if not already. Taking Omega 3-6-9, flaxseed, and Cod liver Oil tablets may help you as well.

Since applying the JBCO at night I massage for about 5 min or so and baggy! My hair is super moist when I have take the bag off to go out. If I don't leave the house then I keep my bag on. You will be amazed how moisturized yr hair will be and feel!

ONe more thing is from all the other products I've used in the past with the bagging, I've noticed that the JBCO is the only one that helps my hair retain a lot of moisture. I know this because my head tend to sweat immensly with using the castor oil. As a matter of fact when I take the bag off it's like I just rinsed my hair....... that's how moist it is.

Sometimes you have to correct the problems from the inside out!

Last edited:
Are you using an actual moisturiser THEN sealing with the oil? For me unless I just had a wonderful DC if I don't moisturise first and just oil it doesn't do much for dryness. I use Giovanni Direct (consistently my best moisturiser) and Bumble & Bumble leave in wash out.

Are you using an actual moisturiser THEN sealing with the oil? For me unless I just had a wonderful DC if I don't moisturise first and just oil it doesn't do much for dryness. I use Giovanni Direct (consistently my best moisturiser) and Bumble & Bumble leave in wash out.

Yes i am and it works for awhile and then its dry again

Maybe that's the problem first of all....maybe washing to much! I am not a 4b but a 4a/3c and my hair is uber dry.

I know because I've recently been using JBCO and believe me when I tell you I have to literally oil my entire scalp every night! My hair and scalp eats it up but it is helping my hair so much at the same time. Just give it a try. I also wash or started cw once a wk.
and my hair and scalp are still bone dry. But once I oil my scalp with the JBCO there is a world of difference. Just trying to help! Oh, just thought of another solution you might try if not already. Taking Omega 3-6-9, flaxseed, and Cod liver Oil tablets may help you as well.

Since applying the JBCO at night I massage for about 5 min or so and baggy! My hair is super moist when I have take the bag off to go out. If I don't leave the house then I keep my bag on. You will be amazed how moisturized yr hair will be and feel!

ONe more thing is from all the other products I've used in the past with the bagging, I've noticed that the JBCO is the only one that helps my hair retain a lot of moisture. I know this because my head tend to sweat immensly with using the castor oil. As a matter of fact when I take the bag off it's like I just rinsed my hair....... that's how moist it is.

Sometimes you have to correct the problems from the inside out!

The reason why i wash my hair so much is because i sweat so much and doesnt help that i leave in miami as well. People have told me that one thing that can stop your hair growth is a dirty head. What do you think?

The reason why i wash my hair so much is because i sweat so much and doesnt help that i leave in miami as well. People have told me that one thing that can stop your hair growth is a dirty head. What do you think?

there are alot of ppl that wash their hair regularly, however it's best if it's a cowash rather that washing with a shampoo.

for me at the start of my journey my hair was severely dry so i deep conditioned on dry hair twice a week, I like to add oils and melted shea butter to my deep conditions and moisturize daily.
Now I cowash and only dc once a week, I don't have to moisturize daily because my hair remains moisturized for days now.

I would suggest using a claifying shampoo first, and adding porosity control to your regiment since it might be that your hair is just not retaining moisture

I'm currently transitioning 3b/4a/4b. I had dry hair for a long time and the culprit was hard water, which I didn't know I had. My hair was always dry no matter what I used and how much I moisturized. I started clarifying with every other wash, and things started to turn around. I also use Porosity Control at least once a month. I still don't know if my hair is porous or not, but I can see/feel the difference in using both PC and a clarifying poo. My regular poo is Aveda DR...until I finish this bottle. For my hair, a staple poo doesn't seem necessary, but good conditioners are a must. I'm too lazy to DC, but Giovanni and Aubrey Organics conditioners work very well at keeping my hair moisturized. I forget to moisturize A LOT, but when I do remember, I use ORS Olive Oil Moisturizer and coconut oil.

Back