Do you follow advice from those who are not exactly ur hair type

I will never limit myself to only taking advise from people with my hair type. I will take advise and learn things from any hair type if it applies to me. I don't care if the person is in the 4's, 3's, 2's, 1's, relaxed, natural, whatever. This is what has helped me to get where I am today.

Huge c/s! As others have said, getting advice from all hasn't failed me yet!

I typically do not pay attention to hair type when it comes to advice. Rather, I take note of people solving similar issues to mine (dryness, trying to increase thickness, etc). When it comes to looking at someones progress or at their Fotki, I prefer to track ladies whose hair type is similar to mine because it is more inspirational for me and easier for me to imagine my hair looking like theirs.

I follow logical advice from any source.

I have ignored stylists, friends, kinkis, wavys, straighties, and "professionals" of various experience. The bottom line is I've lived with my hair for 30 and they haven't. So based on the advice, I can usually determine whether or not it is feasible for me. If it is and seems worth the trouble, I'll do it. If I find flaw with their logic or find a reason why it probably wouldn't apply to me, I'll pass.

Here's what happened when i tried to give advice to some one that doesn't have my hair type....

Yesterday @ our so called "salon" there was a white girl that wanted her hair dyed back to the original color...1st of all this girl had dyed her hair black and her natural hair color (roots) where strawberry blonde...such a terrible site (especially since black hair was not very becoming of her). Anyway she was arguing with the stylist an Asian lady about why her hair would take a few times to lift that color safely. I chimed in and asked her what condition was her hair and she might want to hold off getting it down when she goes back to the states. She responded that its kind of frizzy dry and breaking..(the water over here is horrible) She couldn't hold of because of our hair regs.:blush: I told here hair might be over processed and overlapping color would only worsen the condition. Anyhow they decided on a medium brown color or something along those lines. As I'm leaving, her friend walks in adn asked her "how's it going" she told him that her scalp was burning...I was like...:eek: GIRL! U need to tell her(the stylist) and get that rinsed out of your hair! She's says its probably because I washed it this morning...:nono:. Bad idea chick! I told her she shoudn't have irritated her scalp before applying the dye. She's like well my hair is different from yours so it will probably be okay. I was too through. I walked right on out! I tell you some people!

Amazing :ohwell:. So the skin on your head might signal damage by burning, but her head isn't exactly like yours so maybe the burning means it's excited! :rolleyes: I wish her luck. One more example of why expecting type to be the reigning guide doesn't work.

ETA: Excuse the unwarranted sarcasm; low blood sugar and bad traffic don't mix. :blush:

Last edited:
Well, for me, when it comes to shampooing and moisture, if it works for a 4b hair type, then it will definitely benefit my own hair type because although my hair is "shaped" like a 3b-3c, it can get just as dry as a 4b hair type. If 4 hair types can benefit from moisture, then I can benefit as well.

When it comes to hair styling and maintenance, I really cant. Some 4a/4b women can wear braids to grow out hair, yet braids break my hair off something fierce. I cant wear twists, I can't wear fros or pick out my hair, and my hair wont hold a style worth crap!

Back