My hair is mega dry..... help!!!

What actually works for you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I use to have this problem too. No matter what I used my hair was extra dry. Shea butter and S-curl just made my hair greasy and feeling gross. What I found that finally worked for me was DC'ing 3x/week. I know it sounds excessive but my hair was extra moisturized and feeling soft. During this time I was baggying under my wig everyday. If you don't want to wear a wig you can just baggy at night. After about a month of doing this I was able to only DC 1x/week and have the same results.

Also try to up your water intake. Internal hydration helps a lot.

chicoro's method of sealing in moisture could also be used in conjunction with the advice above

apply in this order

liquid based product - I use just a mixture of glycerine, water and aloe juice (prepared products cud be care free curl gold, ausie hair insurance, hawiian silky 14 in 1)

oil based product - I use avocado/olive oil or shea butter

cream based product - any creamy leave in I use herbal essences long term relatioship or aussie moist

i agree with the above. i suggested this method to a 4z friend (her description, not mine) and she loves it.

also, she uses the Bee Mine Deja Milk (i think its called) and their moisturizer. the prods are natural, not expensive and supposed to work really well. i haven't tried them, but she loves them.

hth

I'm a 4a/4b natural & what helps me with dryness is the following:

1) DCing on dry hair (when I do it)

2) Not shampooing w/ sulfates every time I wash my hair: over time, I realized that the sulfates make my hair dry when I use them too often. Now I use KBB's Juicy Shampoo bar when I don't have to clarify.

3) Keeping my protein/moisture balance in check

4) Roux Porosity Control: my hair is very porous & Roux helps me to keep my cuticles down

5) Never sleeping with my hair loose--even if it's in a satin bonnet

6) Drinking water regularly

7) DCing every time I wash my hair

I agree w/all of this!!! In terms of what products to use it's a matter of trial and error. Try to find ladies on here w/hair similar to yours and check out their regimens.

there are alot of ppl that wash their hair regularly, however it's best if it's a cowash rather that washing with a shampoo.

for me at the start of my journey my hair was severely dry so i deep conditioned on dry hair twice a week, I like to add oils and melted shea butter to my deep conditions and moisturize daily.
Now I cowash and only dc once a week, I don't have to moisturize daily because my hair remains moisturized for days now.

I would suggest using a claifying shampoo first, and adding porosity control to your regiment since it might be that your hair is just not retaining moisture
If I dc on dry hair then wash my hair with acv wd that be the same? Or wouldI have to buy more products. Also If I use skala chocolate masque would that help with my dryness or does that contain protein?

I shampoo with every wash, it is a habit that I can't break. However I have noticed that my moisturizers like (Elasta QP, Herbal Essence Long Term relationship, and Silk Elements) work exponentially better when I mix with Castor oil. My hair feels really good today.

I see you're not getting the same answers so i know it can be a bit confusing. Since you're using Aphogee-poo and 2min reconstructor which both have some protein in them. You need a moisturizing conditioner. I love GVP Conditioning Balm as well as some others. You also need a daily moisturizer. Right now I'm loving Wave Nouveau, however, this is a glycerin based product and not everyone's hair likes it but it is summer and glycerin works best in this type of weather b/c it is a humectant that attracts moisture (from the air) to the skin/hair. Also you need an oil(coconut,EVOO,etc) to seal in the moisture after you applied it. I'm going to say this is optional b/c I don't always seal it in.
Also you need to clarify before using any new products. I hope this is some help.

Back