My DD's Straightened Hair and her reversion...

~NanCeBoTwin~

I've posted before about my DD's hair and how well it reverts back to its curly state after being straightened. We've been following the same straightening reggie alittle over 2 years now. She's 12 years old. Funny thing she loves to use my iPod. I refuse to buy her one, that's another story, but I let her use mine. She loves to take pictures of herself and she does little interviews and songs for me, she is a character. Anywho, I was going through the recent vids and low and behold she did a tutorial on how she wears her hair daily, what we do to it at night, and showed how she makes a few styles when her hair is straight. I thought it was so cute, I would post it, but I don't want my 12 year old on video on youtube, sorry ladies. Below are a few pics of her hair straightened and a few pics of her reversion.

We keep her hair trimmed at MBL. It's already too much hair for her to handle alone in it's natural state, anything more than MBL and I'd go crazy. :wallbash:

Her Year Round reggie (its pretty simple):
Fall to Spring:
I Co wash and detangle her myself the night before her hair appointment.
Stylist washes with a sulfate free poo, DC's with hair in sections
Blow dries in sections using a paddle brush
Flat irons in sections
Every 3-4 weeks
In between appts, we put her hair in high ponytail and a bonnet or I pin curl depending on how she wants to style it the next day. Moisturize/Oil as needed until next wash day

Spring to Fall:
I Co wash and detangle in four sections once a week
DC every two weeks
Clarify whenever it's needed
I can't braid so I leave her in four plaits to dry for a plait out puff
She rocks a puff daily and we plait each night between washes

These are her most recent pics from a last week (sorry its grainy):

bottom of one section:

full view of one section:

This is how she started out:

Last edited:
Pretty!! When I was 12, there were only two girls in my school that did not have relaxers. Pictures like this are refreshing to me. Thanks for taking care of your daughter's hair, OP!

Beautiful! I remember her hair, and hounding you for the type of flat iron her stylist uses. :lachen:

It's so healthy. is the half-year straight/half-year natural because of the weather changes, or to give her hair a rest/recuperate period from the straightening half of the year?

She is so pretty and her hair is beautiful!

Do you use any heat protectants before blow drying or flat ironing?

Also does she have problems with reversion during humid weather?

Spiffyshe is an athlete during the spring and early fall. She plays regular season spring softball as catcher and she plays off season fall softball, she also plans to add track to her activities this year. Athletics are the main reason we are fully natural half of the year, coupled with giving the hair a break and the humidity.

nikki2229] Yes, when she sweats or its humid it reverts quickly. Yes, my stylist does use a heat protectant before blow drying her hair.

wow! I wasn't expecting that - her hair looks exactly like some curly weave I own! beautiful! Why do you choose to keep her hair straight half the year?

EbonyCPrincess because that is how she prefers to wear her hair.
She used to ask for relaxers because my hair is relaxed. I allowed her to get her hair straightened once in the 5th grade. At that point I was able to really prove to her that she actually had the best of both worlds. Curly hair any day she chooses to have it. Every since then, she's embraced not relaxing however she chooses to wear it straight part of the year.

Back