My BSL December Updates w/straight hair pics

Ediese

Hello Ladies!! I hope everyone is having a great time with this holiday season. I just wanted to post some update pics, since I did say I would update on 12/27. I have good and bad news. Good news first...I had my hair pressed at the Culture Salon in Houston, and I was pleasantly surprised to see how straight she got it. It actually still looks like I have a relaxer. The only negative thing that I can say, which isn't really negative is that she kinda refused to use the Sabino Moisture Block. She explained that about 80% of her clients are natural, and the products that she uses will allow me to wear my press for up to three weeks if I wanted in 'humid Houston' without reversion!

Anywhoo...Guess What?!! I did make BSL!!! I should probably be thrilled right now, but I was told by the stylist that I need to have 3" taken off because of 'dead ends'. I have ALOT of split ends. I was pretty down about it, and I told the stylist that I just wanted to wear my new length for a couple weeks, and I'd come back to get the trim. FYI..I did get a trim in August, but I guess I didn't let them trim enough. :wallbash: I think I've come to terms with losing the length esp. because I can clearly see that I have a lot of split ends. It looks awful. Oh yeah another thing, my hair was pretty thin looking, and limp when she was through. I think it's probably because she did get it bone straight. I had no idea my hair could get this straight again without a relaxer. When my sister saw it, she said that it doesn't look thin at all. (I'll let you guys be the judge!) I dont' know why I have so many split ends because I only straighten my hair about 2x year. I guess the good news is that at least I know I CAN make it to BSL. I think with the trim I'll probably go back to APL, but at least it will be healthy. I'm definitely going to get at least .5" trimmed every three months from now on.

Funny story...
I saw two ex-bfs Christmas day. I was looking too good to not want to meet up to have them eat their heart out. lol The first one absolutely couldn't believe that my hair was real. He kept asking the whole time to take some pics of me. lol The other ex actually ran his hands through it to feel it, and then he yanked it (talking bout mm...hmmmm...I wish you had this when we were together) lol He even asked for a second chance! Whatever!! This was the same guy that refused to believe that my hair could grow. lol I made extra efforts to see him, so he could eat his words.

Without further adieu! More pics in my fotki (sorry for taking so many) lol

http://public.fotki.com/Ediese1/finally-bsl-my-1st-/ (pw in profile)

My hair is pressed bone straight on the right. It's pass the hole when stretched.

Last edited:
WOW! I live in Houston and might give them a try....maybe. I wouldn't let her cut so much off. From the pics, your ends don't look like they need a 3 inch trim. If I were you, I'd trim it myself. You never know a hater...:nono:. It probably looks and feels thin to you because you're used to all of that thick natural mane. It looks devine! Makes me want to drool!

GORGEOUS!! And I know you loves seeing the ex's!! :yep:

But it doesn't look thin to me, then again I am only looking at a picture and have nothing to comapre it to - but I do know the thin feeling from a bone straight press.

So what products did she use that kept your hair from poofing up?

WOW! I live in Houston and might give them a try....maybe. I wouldn't let her cut so much off. From the pics, your ends don't look like they need a 3 inch trim. If I were you, I'd trim it myself. You never know a hater...:nono:. It probably looks and feels thin to you because you're used to all of that thick natural mane. It looks devine! Makes me want to drool!

Yeah...I wasn't really sure about having all of that trimmed, but I've really been seeing ALOT of split ends going way up the hair shaft. I don't know.:sad: I think I'll see someone else for a second opinion just to be sure. You're right though..I am definitely use to it being really thick, so this is a change, but I am loving it. :yep: Thanks so much!!

Congrats!
It doesn't look thin to me. And unless you can actually see a lot of splits, I wouldn't cut 3 inches....your ends look fine.

Yeah...I wasn't really sure about having all of that trimmed, but I've really been seeing ALOT of split ends going way up the hair shaft. I don't know.:sad: I think I'll see someone else for a second opinion just to be sure. You're right though..I am definitely use to it being really thick, so this is a change, but I am loving it. :yep: Thanks so much!!

Last year at this time, I would shake my head at this statement. Today, I'm behind you 100% and say go get that second opinion. Don't even mention trimming, see what they say. But a second opinion on hair last year when I was hair stupid would have seemed obsurd!:lachen:

GORGEOUS!! And I know you loves seeing the ex's!! :yep:

But it doesn't look thin to me, then again I am only looking at a picture and have nothing to comapre it to - but I do know the thin feeling from a bone straight press.

So what products did she use that kept your hair from poofing up?

lol..uh huh I know I was looking a little extra good with my makeup and hair done. lol I always think it's so funny how you feel an extra jump of confidence, when you put in the effort to look your best. Dang..I wish I wasn't so lazy, and I could put in that effort everyday! They were eating their heart out. lol One of them called me about 3x last night. :nono: Even my SO made a little possessive type comment that morning about the way I looked. He didn't believe I was only going to visit my sister looking like that. :grin:

She put powder in my hair first to get rid of all the shea butter that was in it. Then she washed, and dc. The only thing I saw her put in it was the Paul Mitchell Super Skinny, and some product by Phyto. idk I do know that it has not reverted yet, and this time last year I got a Dominican Blowout, and it didnt' last more than 2 days. The pics with me in the black below are all from this morning.

Last edited:
I love your hair girl! It's gorgeous!! It looks so healthy and beautiful.

I didn't notice any spit ends from the pictures. I also didn't notice any thinning. I think it looks fabulous.

Off to stalk your fotki which I do anyways....lol :)

I love your hair girl! It's gorgeous!! It looks so healthy and beautiful.

I didn't notice any spit ends from the pictures. I also didn't notice any thinning. I think it looks fabulous.

Off to stalk your fotki which I do anyways....lol :)

Thanks girl!! Yes...trust me there are plenty of split ends. I just need to figure out how far they go up!

Hi,

nice progress, I would probably just have her take an inch off not 3, my ends have looked like that in the past and I try to trim 1 inch at a time,

or an inch and 1/2, they don't thaaat bad :)

WOW talk about growth in a short time! Your hair is beautiful! You give me hope that my hair can reach BSL within 2 yrs.

What is your secret to maintaining your length!?

WoW!!! Wonderful Progress! Your hair looks GORGEOUS!!!!

348966543.jpg

Congrats on reaching BSL! Your journey is very inspirational. :yep: Your hair does not look thin at all to me, I hope mine looks like yours someday! :grin:

Your hair came out nicely and very beautiful progress. I go to Culture as well. When I first started going to Charlene earlier this year I was natural and she did a great job with my press. She told me the same thing about the three weeks, but I can't go three weeks without washing my hair so I wasn't about to try to confirm that. It lasted long enough though. 3 inches is alot at one time, but she probably suggested that amount in order to balance it out....but that is something that you could probably do over time. She will take good care of your hair though :yep:.

I would like to add that If you are seeing splits up the hair shaft you will need to take care of having some type of a trim before they get worse. Since you know that heat isn't the cause of your splits, maybe you could also step up your moisturizing/DCing. You know your hair IRL so you know the steps that you eventually have to take to reach your hair goals.

Last edited:
Your hair looks beautiful! It doesn't look like your ends are raggety to me either:nono:

I also would like to know what products she uses.

Your hair looks fabulous & i can't see the need for a trim from the pics. Your hair also does not look thin...of course i'm judging from my own baby fine hair but your hair looks more on the thick side than the thin.

If your ends are truly gross and splitting all the way up the shaft your only solution is to cut/trim; I would take a full 6 months to trim away the damage so as not to lose too much length at once. If the splits are minimal a good S&D ought to do it & finally self dusting is also an option.

LOL @ letting them boys have it. :grin:
Congratulations on making BSL. Your hair looks really good.

Does she do relaxed hair also?

Your hair came out nicely and very beautiful progress. I go to Culture as well on occasions. When I first started going to Charlene earlier this year I was natural and she did a great job with my press. She told me the same thing about the three weeks, but I can't go three weeks without washing my hair so I wasn't about to try to confirm that. It lasted long enough though. I do think that 3 inches is alot at one time. I will say that she isn't one of those scissor happy types and was probably suggesting that much to balance it out....but that is something that you could do over time. Just my opion. She will take good care of your hair though :yep:.

Yes, I really like her! I know it's probably not the best to go three weeks with it pressed with no wash, but I did seriously consider it.:blush: I'm thinking about going to her once a month until I get my hair back on the healthy track. I will probably just get it trimmed gradually.

Your hair looks fantastic! It doesn't look like you need a major trim, but you know what's best for your hair. Either way it still looks beautiful!

LOL @ letting them boys have it. :grin:
Congratulations on making BSL. Your hair looks really good.

Does she do relaxed hair also?

:grin: I had to let them see what they were missing esp. the ex that refused to believe me when I told him I would get my hair to grow long 'one day'!

Yes, she does! I actually saw her relax someone's hair. You can check out the site if you'd like. http://culturesalon.com/

Your hair looks beautiful! Congrats on making BSL!

I'm with everyone else...I'd take off an inch and see if that does the trick. I definitely don't see the need to trim 3 inches.

Last edited:
Back