MY BESTFRIEND IS JEALOUS AND STAGNANT. What to do???

Innocent_Kiss

I met the person who is today my best friend about 2 1/2 years ago in college. We both started out as dip heads, girls fresh out of the house that didn't know nothing about nothing. We made some STUPID mistakes in our time, but eventually, I learned from mine and began to grow. She, on the other hand stayed stagnant. She's the very same person she was 2 1/2 years ago. Since we've grown apart, she's been SUCH a burden to me. Over the past year, I've accomplished a lot. I'm in a fullfilling relationship, I'm pursuing financial freedom via real estate investing and stocks, I just feel happy on the path that I am. I've noticed, however, that my bestfriend hasn't been so happy for me. To me, that's dangerous. I don't want anyone in my corner who doesn't want to see me progress. I don't want to completely cut her off, but how do I keep her at a distance? We go to the same school and everything.

Its soooo hard to let go of those we love, especially if we are loyal and forgiving people, and it sounds like you are. Just remember people come into your life for a reason and a season, and her season may just be over. You are trying to be a woman and put away childish things, and she is not. If you continue to associate with her, I guarantee you, that you will not succeed in uplifting her, but she WILL succeed in bringing you down. I suggest you talk to her and tell her what you told us, if she's unwilling to hear you, then move on. Sometimes you just have to pray on it and let go.

I met the person who is today my best friend about 2 1/2 years ago in college. We both started out as dip heads, girls fresh out of the house that didn't know nothing about nothing. We made some STUPID mistakes in our time, but eventually, I learned from mine and began to grow. She, on the other hand stayed stagnant. She's the very same person she was 2 1/2 years ago. Since we've grown apart, she's been SUCH a burden to me. Over the past year, I've accomplished a lot. I'm in a fullfilling relationship, I'm pursuing financial freedom via real estate investing and stocks, I just feel happy on the path that I am. I've noticed, however, that my bestfriend hasn't been so happy for me. To me, that's dangerous. I don't want anyone in my corner who doesn't want to see me progress. I don't want to completely cut her off, but how do I keep her at a distance? We go to the same school and everything.

Honey, you already see that you need to let this friend go. Like I've bolded the statement you have made, that is the main reason you should part ways from her. I don't need anyone like that because you two are not on the same wavelength. And people like her will bring you down and make your life miserable.

I understand how you feel. If you guys have a lot of mutual friends it may be even harder to gradually cut her from your life. I would do like someone else said and confront her. You don't have to say you feel her life is stagnant but tell her that it seems she's not happy for you like you thought she should be.

In my experience people aren't happy for others when they are unhappy themselves and don't know what to do.

Can I ask a question - are you sure she's jealous of you?

It is easy to say 'she's jealous of my relationship and of my happiness' - but that may not be the case. Is she going through some personal stuff that's affecting her mood? Are you the only person who thinks she is bitter and jealous?

Just trying to play devil's advocate here, hope you don't take this the wrong way.

I know just how you feel! I am going through the same exact thing with my best friend, we knew each other for six years now, and how you explained your friend, she sounds just like mine, In my heart of hearts I don't want to have to cut her off, but I have distanced myself, and maybe that might be the first step you would need to take as well, eventually, for the both of us it might just mean becoming less attached to our friends, and venturing out, making new friends and keeping them in arms length.

As mean as this may sound, and not to sound like you are better than anybody....but you are who you associate yourself with. A friend and I were discussing the other day that if you look around at most successful people, you will clearly see that they surround themself with other successful people. I know that once I stopped associating with people who were going nowhere in life and started associating with people who were at least trying to do something with theirs, I also became more ambitious, more goal oriented, and started looking at the big picture instead of the small scale. Dont forget that misery loves company...one of my nursing instructors said friends are like an elevator...they can take u up or bring you down.

THE COMPANY YOU KEEP
It Is Better To Be Alone, Than In the Wrong Company
Tell me who your best friends are, and I will tell you who you are. If you run with wolves, you will learn how to howl. But, if you associate with eagles, you will learn how to soar to great heights. : A mirror reflects a man s face, but what he is really like is shown by the kind of friends he chooses- The simple but true fact of life is that you become like those with whom you closely associate for the good and the bad.
The less you associate with some people, the more your life will improve. Any time you tolerate mediocrity in others, it increases your mediocrity. An important attribute in successful people are their impatience with negative thinking and negative acting people. As you grow, your associates will change. Some of your friends will not want you to go on. They will want you to stay where they are. Friends who don't help you climb will want you to crawl. Your friends will stretch your vision or choke your dream. Those that don't increase you will eventually decrease you. Consider this:
Never receive counsel from unproductive people.
Never discuss your problems with someone incapable of contributing to the solution, because those who never succeed themselves are always first to tell you how. Not everyone has a right to speak into your life. You are certain to get the worst of the bargain when you exchange ideas with the wrong person.
Don't follow anyone who's not going anywhere. With some people you spend an evening: with others you invest it.
Be careful where you stop to inquire for directions along the road of life.
Wise is the person who fortifies his life with the right friendships.

Since we've grown apart, she's been SUCH a burden to me. Over the past year, I've accomplished a lot. I'm in a fullfilling relationship, I'm pursuing financial freedom via real estate investing and stocks, I just feel happy on the path that I am. I've noticed, however, that my bestfriend hasn't been so happy for me. To me, that's dangerous. I don't want anyone in my corner who doesn't want to see me progress.

Reread what you wrote above. And reflect on it honestly.
This year, I let an 18-year freindship run its course. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=145915
It hurt like hell, but was so necessary.

As mean as this may sound, and not to sound like you are better than anybody....but you are who you associate yourself with. A friend and I were discussing the other day that if you look around at most successful people, you will clearly see that they surround themself with other successful people. I know that once I stopped associating with people who were going nowhere in life and started associating with people who were at least trying to do something with theirs, I also became more ambitious, more goal oriented, and started looking at the big picture instead of the small scale. Dont forget that misery loves company...one of my nursing instructors said friends are like an elevator...they can take u up or bring you down.

THE COMPANY YOU KEEP
It Is Better To Be Alone, Than In the Wrong Company
Tell me who your best friends are, and I will tell you who you are. If you run with wolves, you will learn how to howl. But, if you associate with eagles, you will learn how to soar to great heights. : A mirror reflects a man s face, but what he is really like is shown by the kind of friends he chooses- The simple but true fact of life is that you become like those with whom you closely associate for the good and the bad.
The less you associate with some people, the more your life will improve. Any time you tolerate mediocrity in others, it increases your mediocrity. An important attribute in successful people are their impatience with negative thinking and negative acting people. As you grow, your associates will change. Some of your friends will not want you to go on. They will want you to stay where they are. Friends who don't help you climb will want you to crawl. Your friends will stretch your vision or choke your dream. Those that don't increase you will eventually decrease you. Consider this:
Never receive counsel from unproductive people.
Never discuss your problems with someone incapable of contributing to the solution, because those who never succeed themselves are always first to tell you how. Not everyone has a right to speak into your life. You are certain to get the worst of the bargain when you exchange ideas with the wrong person.
Don't follow anyone who's not going anywhere. With some people you spend an evening: with others you invest it.
Be careful where you stop to inquire for directions along the road of life.
Wise is the person who fortifies his life with the right friendships.

ITA 100%!
And another thing, never take advice from someone who doesn't have what you want. For instance, a happy relationship, a blossoming career, financial savvy. Don't talk money with someone who's broke...

ITA 100%!
And another thing, never take advice from someone who doesn't have what you want. For instance, a happy relationship, a blossoming career, financial savvy. Don't talk money with someone who's broke...
yes! very on point. :yep:

i learned this year to never ask two of my associates what they think about a man i'm dating. for one, they have never had a successful relationship as long as i've known them (nearly 9 years!) and for two have shown that they cannot be genuinely happy for someone that is in a successful relationship. :ohwell:

What made her your best friend? 2.5 years of going to school together and hanging out doesn't make her a best friend. Sounds like an acquaintance/associate you see often, to me.

Friend = a serious commitment. BEST friend = someone who has proven themselves over time, through trials, through pain happiness weddings funerals surprises and tears and joy and life changes, etc.

If you feel like you wanna keep her at a distance... stop being around her so much, stop talking to her so much, stop telling her so much, stop listening to her so much, etc.

Just because YOU are happy with your relationship and she is single doesn't mean she is jealous of you. Just because you have chosen real estate doesn't mean that she secretly wants to do so too. What makes you think that she wants to have your life? What if her secret desire is to be single forever, be an artist who barely gets by, and if her idea of progress and moving forward is getting to tomorrow alive and safely?

You think your best friend is jealous and stagnant. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. Obviously she is still in school 2.5 years later and not expelled for not producing grades or having bad behavior so she's doing SOMETHING positive and constructive.

It just sounds to me like you either outgrew her or you guys were never meant to be associates and like you all were never friends in the first place.

So move on.

What to do? Nothing just enjoy her friendship. I don't suggest wasting your energy and time trying to change and uplift someone that obviously is ok with where they are. If she wants to better herself she will take actions to do so. If her lifestyle and choices bother you limit your encounters to public places or social settings which would limit deep conversations.

yes! very on point. :yep:

i learned this year to never ask two of my associates what they think about a man i'm dating. for one, they have never had a successful relationship as long as i've known them (nearly 9 years!) and for two have shown that they cannot be genuinely happy for someone that is in a successful relationship. :ohwell:

I know this is OT, but I have learned never to discuss my relationship with anyone else but my SO. :)

I don't even go into details with my own mother. I have realized that everyone comments according to their own situation, and if it's not a happy one the comments will sow little seeds of doubt in your mind that aren't positive for you or the relationship.

If I have a problem, I'll talk to SO first :yep:

Back