My Aveda experience

CurleeDST

Hi ladies - wanted to check in and share with you all my at-home personal Aveda service experience. I had an experienced Aveda stylist come to my home (she owns a mobile salon service where she will bring everything and do your hair in your home) and clean, cut (into a style) and temporarily straighten my hair. She was trained by Aveda and only uses their products.

She first assessed my natural hair and said it was very healthy but a tad dry. She said my new growth was extremely healthy but the ends (which had not been cut in a year and has permanent color - was a bit dry but in very good condition considering how old my ends were.

She first massaged my scalp and neck with magic hands and the Calming composition oil! She then washed my hair with Shampure shampoo b/c she said it was moisturizing yet cleans away any product build up. We washed my hair down in my basement sink which isn't used for anything. She put down a towel and had me rest my forehead on it and simply washed my hair with the spout.

She then mixed her own personal conditioner concoction which consisted of:

1. 1 part Brilliant conditioner
2. 1 part Deep penetrating revitalizer conditioner (she said was being discontinued)
3. a few squirts of something called Elixir Remedy (?) - amber-colored bottle
4. a few squirts of something called Dry Remedy - amber-colored bottle

She mixed it up, put it on my hair. I sat with it for about 10 minutes and then she rinsed it out with very COLD water which she says help snap the cuticle shut and seal in the moisturizing properties from the conditioners.

Next she detangled me with a wide tooth comb, separated my hair in sections and started blowdrying after applying Brilliant Damage Control and Curessence Detangler on each section to protect against the heat.

Afterwards she cut my hair into an actual style (a gradudated bob) so I can go curly and it look cute or go straight and it look cute. Plus I had to get rid of my raggedy ends. They were tying into knots (literally) onto each other. They weren't smooth or anything - it was time for them to GO! I laid down a big bed sheet before she started cutting to catch the hair so it would not get stuck in the carpet in my basement.

Once she cut me she flat ironed me very nicely. My hair was swang and looks and feels REALLY good. She used Light Elements and Beautifying Composition oil to provide shine and to maintain body.

I sat in my swivel barstool to be at the height best for my service. We have an old dining room table in our basement from my husband's bachelor days so we set up down there which gave her ample room to plug in her devices (blowdryer, heat stove, etc.) and spread out her products and things.

I asked a boat load of product questions and she was very patient with me. Here is what she told me:

1. Should I use damage remedy line - she said it is a strengthener, loaded with proteins so it tends to be drying - follow up with a very moisturizing conditioner or oil such as beautifying composition oil

2. What is the best shampoo / conditioner combo I should use? She recommended color conserve for me since I have color and she said its deep treatment will give back what the color is taking away from my hair

3. Leave-in - Curessence is a good detangler and so is Elixir (which they are discontinuing)

4. When wearing hair curly she thought Brilliant Universal styler would weigh my hair down too much along w/ the Brilliant Emolliant gloss. She prefer I use Light Elements serum instead especially when I go straight

5. She recommended I massage my scalp at least twice a week with the Beautifying composition oil. She also recommended I add it to my Be Curly curl enhancer when styling

6. For conditioner washes she recommended I mix Deep penetrating revitalizer and Brilliant conditioner together, apply to hair in shower and then rinse out and I would not need a leave-in, just the Be Curly enhancer with Beautifying composition oil.

She said if I look for the oil and other things and can't find them to tell her and she can get them for me at a discount and pass the savings on to me! I was very impressed with her service and definitely plan to use her again. She is going to come and trim my daughter's hair - she charges $15 bucks for that and recommend I trim her hair every 3 months. I agree because her ends get dry quickly and no matter how much I wash, I can't get the lint out. My daughter is 5. She has clients who have children 3 to 5 and only use Aveda products on their hair and have seen a world of difference. She said for those with dry scalp - Scalp Remedy is VERY good.

Sorry so long ladies but for you Aveda enthusiasts I definitely wanted to share. The Composition Oil can be found near the body lotions section in the Aveda store! Have fun ladies and I will try and take photos of my hair today and post in my fotki.

would she like to make a trip to my house in Indianapolis? :look: LOL!

sounds like a great experience all around... makes me wanna give Aveda a try...

Ooooohhh!!!! I've been waiting for your at home review. It sounds like it was a great experience!! I love it when stylists take their time, and will answer each of your questions!

I'm taking notes about everything she used on you. I did have a bad bout with the DR line last week, protein overload...So, I'm going back to get Brilliant Conditioner to alternate with.

I'm glad you enjoyed your experience. I have all the Aveda products that I like, and it would def be nice to have someone to come to my house and hook me up. I learned to follow my DR treatments with a moisturizing cond. - I get better results. I use the Beautifying oil on my body too. Does she use the hair and scalp renewal treatments?

Here are her product recommendations for me:

Wash and Go days:
Shampoo: Be Curly
Conditioner: Be Curly, spray the hair with Brilliance Damage Control as a leave in and hair protector.
Styling: Curl Control, Emollient Gloss, and a tad of Phemoliant (2 pumps) (Mix all 3 products together in your hand, emolsify and work through the hair while damp. Either let air dry or dry with a diffuser attached to your blowdryer. The less you touch your hair when it is wet, the less frizz you will have. Using this blend will leave your hair shiny, soft and it will control the frizz. I would oil your scalp at night 2 times a week or as needed with the beautifying oil.)

Blowdry and Style days:
Shampoo: Shampure
Conditioner: Mix the Shampure Conditioner with the Brilliance Conditioner, then spray the Brilliance Damage Control to protect the hair.
Styling: Beautifying Oil and either the Emollient Gloss or Light Element Smoothing Fluid (take a few drops of the beautifying oil and blend with a few pumps of the serum, emolsify in your hand and work through the hair pre-dry. This will moizturize the hair giving it weightless shine. I would oil your scalp at night 2 times a week or as needed with the beautifying oil)

Deep Conditioner:
I believe some stores are no longer carrying the deep penetrating hair revitilizer treatment so if you are unable to find it, I would recommend using the Color Conserve Strengthening Treatment with a few drops of the beautifying oil. I would use this product every other shampoo and let sit on the hair at least 10-15 min. with or without heat. If you have the time, heat would be preferable. Rinse with cold water and style as usual..

Here are her product recommendations for me:

Wash and Go days:
Shampoo: Be Curly
Conditioner: Be Curly, spray the hair with Brilliance Damage Control as a leave in and hair protector.
Styling: Curl Control, Emollient Gloss, and a tad of Phemoliant (2 pumps) (Mix all 3 products together in your hand, emolsify and work through the hair while damp. Either let air dry or dry with a diffuser attached to your blowdryer. The less you touch your hair when it is wet, the less frizz you will have. Using this blend will leave your hair shiny, soft and it will control the frizz. I would oil your scalp at night 2 times a week or as needed with the beautifying oil.)

Blowdry and Style days:
Shampoo: Shampure
Conditioner: Mix the Shampure Conditioner with the Brilliance Conditioner, then spray the Brilliance Damage Control to protect the hair.
Styling: Beautifying Oil and either the Emollient Gloss or Light Element Smoothing Fluid (take a few drops of the beautifying oil and blend with a few pumps of the serum, emolsify in your hand and work through the hair pre-dry. This will moizturize the hair giving it weightless shine. I would oil your scalp at night 2 times a week or as needed with the beautifying oil)

Deep Conditioner:
I believe some stores are no longer carrying the deep penetrating hair revitilizer treatment so if you are unable to find it, I would recommend using the Color Conserve Strengthening Treatment with a few drops of the beautifying oil. I would use this product every other shampoo and let sit on the hair at least 10-15 min. with or without heat. If you have the time, heat would be preferable. Rinse with cold water and style as usual..

How many hundreds of dollars does all of this stuff cost??

I wonder why she recommended discontinued products, or how are the stylists still getting them? Curessence, Elixer and the Dry Remedy are gone :nono:.

Thank you so much for sharing your Aveda experience. I'm glad it was a very good one for you. I didn't know they made housecalls!

She did not really recommend discontinued products. Those products are what she used on my hair yesterday though. She did offer replacements. But today I did find the deep penetrating hair revitalizer at Bubbles salon in Owings Mills Mall for $22 bucks so I bought it.

I also got the Beautifying oil today for $20 and the Shampure conditioner for $9 bucks. Oh yeah bought Brilliant Conditioner too. That is it.

I wonder why she recommended discontinued products, or how are the stylists still getting them? Curessence, Elixer and the Dry Remedy are gone :nono:.

She did mention her 5-year old daughter has extremely dry scalp and she uses the Scalp Benefits line on her and her scalp is much better for it. She also has a client with a 3-year old and she uses it on her and her scalp is doing much better, no dandruff, no itching and no tightness. So she does highly recommend it.

Since I also have color she recommended the Color Conserve Treatment and told me Aveda is discontinuing a lot of products thinking the DR line is the new answer but she feels they still need something moisturizing to better balance everything. As in nature, according to my stylist, everything in balance so do not overdue too much of anything or you will start having problems.

She does not like Pantene products. She said you might as well slather vaseline in your hair. At first it will look nice and shiny but over time you will have mad build up and dullness. Don't use it.

I'm glad you enjoyed your experience. I have all the Aveda products that I like, and it would def be nice to have someone to come to my house and hook me up. I learned to follow my DR treatments with a moisturizing cond. - I get better results. I use the Beautifying oil on my body too. Does she use the hair and scalp renewal treatments?

Also, she offerred to purchase products on my behalf at a discount. Now I have the Aveda card so I am up to 3,600 points so I want to use the card to purchase my stuff. But for hard to find things - I am going to ask her to get it for me. I plan to have her return to trim my daughter's hair.

I have her price list but she has no website. She quit her corporate job to pursue her dream of a mobile salon service which I think is awesome. My hair feels so nice, strong and healthy! She hooked a sister up. And her prices are very reasonable (salon prices) but she comes to you. Can't beat that! She works 6 days.

She did not really recommend discontinued products. Those products are what she used on my hair yesterday though. She did offer replacements. But today I did find the deep penetrating hair revitalizer at Bubbles salon in Owings Mills Mall for $22 bucks so I bought it.

I also got the Beautifying oil today for $20 and the Shampure conditioner for $9 bucks. Oh yeah bought Brilliant Conditioner too. That is it.
I gottcha, she had those products in her stash...Curlee, maybe can you PM me where you live? If its not close, maybe your stylist has a "network" of other at-home-visit-Aveda-stylists she knows and could recc one to me? :look: They charge me $60 for a wash/style at my Aveda salon for the same thing you got at home.

Since I also have color she recommended the Color Conserve Treatment and told me Aveda is discontinuing a lot of products thinking the DR line is the new answer but she feels they still need something moisturizing to better balance everything. As in nature, according to my stylist, everything in balance so do not overdue too much of anything or you will start having problems.

Aveda's DR line does have a moisturizing conditioner which is available to licensed Aveda stylists.

Attachments

• moistureimmersion.jpg
    moistureimmersion.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 34
Also, she offerred to purchase products on my behalf at a discount. Now I have the Aveda card so I am up to 3,600 points so I want to use the card to purchase my stuff. But for hard to find things - I am going to ask her to get it for me. I plan to have her return to trim my daughter's hair.

I have her price list but she has no website. She quit her corporate job to pursue her dream of a mobile salon service which I think is awesome. My hair feels so nice, strong and healthy! She hooked a sister up. And her prices are very reasonable (salon prices) but she comes to you. Can't beat that! She works 6 days.

Nuff said! PM a sister with her info and price list please!

:scratchch How are we going to get our hands on this?!? And why are they keeping it from the public!!

I really don't know! Unfortunately, I can only get limited quantities. I get 50% off on purchases, but the salon won't give me more than 1- 2 of each product at a time :ohwell:. Their response was that I'm not licensed, so they're not supposed to be giving it to me. It sounds like CurleeDST has a better hookup...

CurleeDST,

Since you are in Maryland, which Aveda Salon do you usually frequent? Ownings Mills is a bit out of the way for me. Pentagon City I believe is the closet, but I don't go to malls much at all.

How did you contact her. If I call a local Aveda Salon will they be able to put me in contact?

J just want to mention how much I really appreciate you sharing this information with us. It all sounds like really sound advice. I once was a big user of Aveda products. I've moved a lot, and I think ease of accessibility was the reason I stopped.

I found her through word of mouth from a girlfriend who tried her and raved about her. I can send you her information and you can contact her. She is situated out of Anne Arundel County.

Send me an email at [email protected].

CurleeDST,

Since you are in Maryland, which Aveda Salon do you usually frequent? Ownings Mills is a bit out of the way for me. Pentagon City I believe is the closet, but I don't go to malls much at all.

How did you contact her. If I call a local Aveda Salon will they be able to put me in contact?

Lala what is the name of the conditioner that helps to balance the proteins in the DR line?

I can ask my contact who said she could get things for me if I have trouble finding them. I did find the penetrating hair revitalizer at Bubbles so I am going back to purchase more tubes.

I really don't know! Unfortunately, I can only get limited quantities. I get 50% off on purchases, but the salon won't give me more than 1- 2 of each product at a time :ohwell:. Their response was that I'm not licensed, so they're not supposed to be giving it to me. It sounds like CurleeDST has a better hookup...

Lala what is the name of the conditioner that helps to balance the proteins in the DR line?

I can ask my contact who said she could get things for me if I have trouble finding them. I did find the penetrating hair revitalizer at Bubbles so I am going back to purchase more tubes.

I usually mix them together, but I do use them separately as well. They come boxed separately and they also have the kit. I purchased the conditioning cap also.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Damage Remedy Hair and Scalp RenewalSM
A potent sensory experience and intense repair for hair.
It begins with scalp, neck and shoulder massage—with up to 12 aroma-therapeutic essential oils—to increase scalp circulation while targeting pressure points that release tension. Then hair is treated with one of two intense repair formulas: Moisture Immersion, for up to 71% softer, smoother strands; or Strength Infusion, for up to 71% more resistance to combing breakage. At every step, aroma-therapy elevates, soothes or recharges.

Attachments

• treatment kit.jpg
    treatment kit.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 18
:needpics:

Can't wait to see the pics you post in your fotki :grin: Sounds like you had a great experience.

She beat me to it!!! LOL
I jumped to the end of the thread and then ran to your fotki to look for pics!! I absolutely love your hair curly but I am sure she did a great job and it looks just as great straight.

I'm glad you were able to ask a lot of questions and she was patient with you. Do you already use the Aveda line? If not, will you switch?

BB

ETA: Now that I have taken the time to go back and actually read the thread:grin: I see the answer to my question. Thanks again for all the in depth details!!

Last edited:
Ok ladies, my camera's battery was charging but today I got caught without a hat in a snowfall and now my blowed out hair is frizzing up. I will take a photo of it so you get a sense of the cut. She was conservative with the length b/c she knows I am growin git out but I think I am going to have her cut more.

Also Lala thanks for sending that information. I am going to ask my contact if she heard of it or can get me a package of it.

Back