My Aveda Salon Experience

Thank you so much for sharing your hair looks amazing. I can't wait until I get some hair on my head to give them a try...lol.

Friday, I went to an Aveda Concept Salon and it was AWESOME!!! I was amazed with everything. I loved my hair care and even moreso, the atmosphere was quiet, relaxing, and pampering. My hairdresser was concerned with my hair issues, patiently answered all my questions, and told me everything she was doing step by step.

She asked me what my ultimate goal was and I told her to get my hair healthy, stop relaxing, and go natural. She told me, "your last touchup was your LAST and you are going natural from this day forth, I'm looking at your new growth and I can see you didn't need relaxing in the first place. At Aveda, we're focused on hair health and care. I will teach you how to care for and maintain your hair on your road to healthy natural hair! I was so shocked and awed---all I could do was "blink, blink." I didn't have to explain myself, defend myself, or demand a thing! I said, "okay!" And she was off and running. She used the Damage Remedy line, mixed some oils/conditioners for a moist towel heat treatment under the dryer, did a couple other things that I don't remember and she combed through my 3" of new growth "like BUTTA!!!!" I was waiting for the detangling drama to begin and and all she did was comb through once and fire up the blow dryer! After blow drying, I rec'd my cut. I already knew my ends/layers were a hot mess, so I picked a simple cut and received a chopping of I guess, 3-4 inches and long layers. She gave me a silky flat ironing/end bumping. I asked her how my hair was gonna hold up without a touchup and with it raining (all day hard). She told me not to worry I'd be good she'd tell me what to do. I was apprehensive because at the first sign of humidity and moisture I become a human dandelion! When she finished and swirled me around to the mirror----my hair had swing, I'm talking SWANG swing!!! She told me what she used, how she used it, I bought my stuff, and SKIPPED happily out the door!!! And the "end all beat all"----by that evening I had to go out for a few hours and came back expecting to be the dandelion and my hair was as straight and silky as I left the salon!

YyyyESSSSSSS!!! I have a new hairdresser! YYYyyyeeeSSSSSSSS!!!!

I bought the recommended:
Aveda Damage Remedy Poo, Conditioner
Be Curly Poo, Conditioner, and Control (for wash and go days)
Brilliant Damage Control
Control Paste (occasionally, for stray control)
Beautifying Composition (for ends and scalp massage)

Will be checking all these out and figuring how they'll fit in my routine. I AM IN LOVE!!!

ps...the below pictures are hours after my salon visit. Sorry for the blurriness! Hope you get the general idea....

Beautiful, just beautiful!

Oh my goodness! Thank you to everyone that came by. I appreciate all the encouragement I received. I've always thought about ending the relaxers but I wasn't sure how. Frankly, I was scared to death and I wasn't sure if I trusted myself or a hairdresser enough to consider doing so. With the knowledge and help of LHCF and the hands on of this Aveda hairdresser, I now feel confident and able! I realize no matter what salon or hairdresser you go to, your hair is only gonna end up as good as the person working on your head!

I'm in Northern California and the link to the salon is http://www.jovance.com/
The hairdresser is Khesia, but I checked all the hairdressers out---and they all turned out wonderful heads. It made no difference if the client was young or old, salt and peppered or dyed, natural or relaxed, curled, straight, wavy or everything in between. Nothing but clean, silky, shiny, beautiful heads walked out of there. They really made me feel pampered, that my issues/concerns mattered, and the focus was all on me! There were no ghettofabulous momentitos (and if there were, I didn't know it, which was fine by me!), no loud outrageous music, no grandstanding, and I heard no phones ringing. Had that place been a candy store---I'd probably walked out with 4 teeth in my head!!!:lachen:

I'd walked into Jovance the weekend before last and was scoping it out. I checked out the layout, tools, bowls, chairs, the atmosphere, the employee's hair/faces, music, the ladies coming and leaving (their hair/faces/attitudes). Okay, I CHECK IT ALL OUT!!! I can't help it, my hunny says I'm a bit Monkish (for anyone who doesn't watch Monk on the USA channel---I have a tendency to be obsessive compulsive).:lachen: When I first approached my hairdresser she was not wearing her Aveda attire and was sitting in the lobby. I approached her because her hair was SLAMMING!!! And I needed to know the "whos, whats, hows..." It was only after talking with her that I realized she was an Aveda hairdresser that'd just finished her last client. She took the time to talk to me, recommend products, and actually put her hands in my hair (after she asked for my permission) and she told me then I didn't need relaxing, even with that mass of new growth I was carrying!:perplexed

Yes, this location does braids, weaves, naturals!

I'm sorry this location isn't in Atlanta, but I'm sure ATL has Aveda

Yes, it took a few $$ but, I felt I was desperate and I was ready to fork it over!!!:wallbash: I can do routine maintainece (poo, condish, dc, wetset/blow dry), but cutting and special treatments---I leave to the pros---cause if there's a way to screw it up---I can have a "rat's nest mishap" on my head in a heartbeat!:lachen:

Thanks again for checking on me!:wavey:

Oh my goodness! Thank you to everyone that came by. I appreciate all the encouragement I received. I've always thought about ending the relaxers but I wasn't sure how. Frankly, I was scared to death and I wasn't sure if I trusted myself or a hairdresser enough to consider doing so. With the knowledge and help of LHCF and the hands on of this Aveda hairdresser, I now feel confident and able! I realize no matter what salon or hairdresser you go to, your hair is only gonna end up as good as the person working on your head!

I'm in Northern California and the link to the salon is http://www.jovance.com/
The hairdresser is Khesia, but I checked all the hairdressers out---and they all turned out wonderful heads. It made no difference if the client was young or old, salt and peppered or dyed, natural or relaxed, curled, straight, wavy or everything in between. Nothing but clean, silky, shiny, beautiful heads walked out of there. They really made me feel pampered, that my issues/concerns mattered, and the focus was all on me! There were no ghettofabulous momentitos (and if there were, I didn't know it, which was fine by me!), no loud outrageous music, no grandstanding, and I heard no phones ringing. Had that place been a candy store---I'd probably walked out with 4 teeth in my head!!!:lachen:

I'd walked into Jovance the weekend before last and was scoping it out. I checked out the layout, tools, bowls, chairs, the atmosphere, the employee's hair/faces, music, the ladies coming and leaving (their hair/faces/attitudes). Okay, I CHECK IT ALL OUT!!! I can't help it, my hunny says I'm a bit Monkish (for anyone who doesn't watch Monk on the USA channel---I have a tendency to be obsessive compulsive).:lachen: When I first approached my hairdresser she was not wearing her Aveda attire and was sitting in the lobby. I approached her because her hair was SLAMMING!!! And I needed to know the "whos, whats, hows..." It was only after talking with her that I realized she was an Aveda hairdresser that'd just finished her last client. She took the time to talk to me, recommend products, and actually put her hands in my hair (after she asked for my permission) and she told me then I didn't need relaxing, even with that mass of new growth I was carrying!:perplexed

Yes, this location does braids, weaves, naturals!

I'm sorry this location isn't in Atlanta, but I'm sure ATL has Aveda

Yes, it took a few $$ but, I felt I was desperate and I was ready to fork it over!!!:wallbash: I can do routine maintainece (poo, condish, dc, wetset/blow dry), but cutting and special treatments---I leave to the pros---cause if there's a way to screw it up---I can have a "rat's nest mishap" on my head in a heartbeat!:lachen:

Thanks again for checking on me!:wavey:

Your hair is gorgeous!!!

I have an appointment with India on November 10th at Jovance!!! I am going for a color and to get my hair cut in layers. The salon is really nice and drama free. I will post pics after my appointment.

Last edited:
I have an appointment with India on November 10th at Jovance!!! I am going for a color and to get my hair cut in layers. The salon is really nice and drama free. I will post pics after my appointment.

yay :clap:!!

I checked this salon's website and they seem VERY professional and the facility looks so clean and nice! Also, they seem to be very customer-focused and even have a written code of ethics for how they run their establishment... very impressive. You guys are lucky to have a salon like this in your area!

Superb results! :love: I loved my first Aveda salon experience and I booked my next appt 4 months in advance:look: Dec 30th here I come. Thanks for sharing:yep:

Your hair looks so silky and gorgeous!!!

Look at you, your hair is growing something fierce, all nice and thick! Great progress!

Your hair is gorgeous!!!

ooohhh! Someone in my neck of the woods!:grin: I don't know India, but I'm sure you're going to be Fabulous!!!! I love your hair's shine in your avi! Thanks for the reassurance about Jovance.

yay :clap:!!

I checked this salon's website and they seem VERY professional and the facility looks so clean and nice! Also, they seem to be very customer-focused and even have a written code of ethics for how they run their establishment... very impressive. You guys are lucky to have a salon like this in your area!

That's what I'm talking about! I was trying to find this type of place and I'm so far satisfied that I have. Thanks!

Superb results! :love: I loved my first Aveda salon experience and I booked my next appt 4 months in advance:look: Dec 30th here I come. Thanks for sharing:yep:

You are so pretty! I peeped your fotki and I'm loving your curls...I'm hoping to have a go at the curly q's. You do it so well!

Back