Motions is so funny...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
p.s. what's a party store?

[/ QUOTE ]

A giant liquor store. Kinda like the Wal Mart Supercenter of liquor. /images/graemlins/grin.gif There always seems to be one on every other block in predominantly black neighborhoods. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Look, I don't know about you ladies, but I do not talk like the people in these comic books. That makes it all the more irksome for me, when people try to "relate" to me by some weird imitation of ebonics, ...let alone a professional company!

If some of your are just going to shrug and buy Motions anyway, fine, that's your business. But I'm not sinking another dollar into their pocket, and I strongly encourage any one else who isn't bamboozled by this at all to do the same.

To All

All I can say is that I, Crystal am not offended by Motions comics or emails. As a business person with my MBA in marketing, I think their marketing tactics need to be addressed and redifined. I do not think their actions are in any way an attempt to "mock" black people. Just somewhere along the line they have made some bad decisions.

If I tried to boycott every prodcut that somehow offended the black race or the female sex for that matter... I'd have to live in a cave somewhere.

I have 401k plans, mortgages, car notes, dentist appointments, final exams, carpal tunnel, my grandmother's illness, an idiotic boss, and career moves to worry about. In choosing battles, Motions is not one I choose to fight. The last thing I need on my plate is attempting to find a replacement for my Motions CPR.

I strongly feel there was no malicious intent behind Motions actions, just a misunderstanding and they became a little "too" comfortable in being a black company and dealing with their customers and they must be reminded about professionalism.

But in short... I will continue to support this company, they make good products and I hope they hear the protests of those who are offended and they can redeem themselves and regain your support.

I respect the opinions of those who disagree with my stance. I feel you guys should write Motions, give them feedback so this issue can be addressed. Protesting in silence does little, make your voice heard so that a change can be made to avoid future incidents.

Whoa! I did'nt know all this was going on w/ Motions because I had such a bad experience w/ the Motions oil relaxer I just steered clear of all post mentioning Motions products. I have not been able to view the link to the comics mocking US but, I think it tastless, and VERY disturbing that this "brain fart" was allowed to make on the website as a advertising tactic to gain more support and customers of this (IMO) mediocre product.
I agree strongly w/ the majority of the ladies here and say boycott they A$$, and let's see how they tone towards US change. It's took alot of GUTS to put that BS out there and expect Black people not to be offended. It's sad that they couldn't think of a better way to reach there targeted audience.
It is everyone's right to they opinions, but I think (they) counting on US to just let it ride. I plan to tell as many people as I can about this mess, and hope I sink Motions battle ship. Don't ever think (they) not still trying to tear US down, but w/ a more "in yo face attitude".
As to how I speak to my friends, that's something totally different. When communicating in a professional matter, keeping things "professional" is the best course of action. When I'm talking w/ friends, that's more personal. Just my 2 cent out of a 100 dollar bill( meaning, I have alot more I want say). Motions will get the remaining $99.98 worth.

More hair, and Happy Growing /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well, I think that if the comments were not "a big deal" they wouldn't have taken it off their website, no matter how much we complained. Obviously they understand that their comics are perceived as racist by many of us (I know I wrote my letter).

Also in regards to boycotts, I don't shop at liquor stores so I guess I do boycott them. I've never seen a party store. Cita sucked and I wrote and told BET so....Cita is gone.

Also in regards to the "Black people are so sensitive" comment, I guess we are which is why:

1. We aren't sitting at the back of the bus, I mean really what's the big deal, it's still a seat right

2. We are not drinking from "******* only" water fountains. I mean, at least it's water.

3. We are not going to segregated schools. I mean, hey at least we HAVE schools.

There are plenty of things that we have been too "sensitive" about I guess..... Equality, fair employment and education, discrimenation laws etc. not being considered 3/4 of a human being. Not being forced to be slaves in somebody's cotton fields, but maybe I'm overly sensitive because slavery is over and "Massa was good to some folks on some of those plantations"

My point is, we need to control how media perceives us. If a company is getting my money, no, I'm sorry they don't have the right to call me a ****** and think it's cute. It's not. It's racism, plain and simple.

Also, as for not using Motions, I'm not worried about it. There are other great products to use, since I'm not limited to the so-called "ethnic isle" I can find other things.

Also, we are not the only group that is sensitive. I mean there is a reason we no longer see those "Yo quiero Taco Bell" commercials......

Other communities ban together when it comes to the good of all, and that's why many of us see the collective success of OTHER communities continue to grow. Meanwhile for us.....well........I can only do my part, and so I do.

Tara said:
Well, I think that if the comments were not "a big deal" they wouldn't have taken it off their website, no matter how much we complained. Obviously they understand that their comics are perceived as racist by many of us (I know I wrote my letter).

Also in regards to boycotts, I don't shop at liquor stores so I guess I do boycott them. I've never seen a party store. Cita sucked and I wrote and told BET so....Cita is gone.

Also in regards to the "Black people are so sensitive" comment, I guess we are which is why:

1. We aren't sitting at the back of the bus, I mean really what's the big deal, it's still a seat right

2. We are not drinking from "******* only" water fountains. I mean, at least it's water.

3. We are not going to segregated schools. I mean, hey at least we HAVE schools.

There are plenty of things that we have been too "sensitive" about I guess..... Equality, fair employment and education, discrimenation laws etc. not being considered 3/4 of a human being. Not being forced to be slaves in somebody's cotton fields, but maybe I'm overly sensitive because slavery is over and "Massa was good to some folks on some of those plantations"

My point is, we need to control how media perceives us. If a company is getting my money, no, I'm sorry they don't have the right to call me a ****** and think it's cute. It's not. It's racism, plain and simple.

Also, as for not using Motions, I'm not worried about it. There are other great products to use, since I'm not limited to the so-called "ethnic isle" I can find other things.

Also, we are not the only group that is sensitive. I mean there is a reason we no longer see those "Yo quiero Taco Bell" commercials......

Other communities ban together when it comes to the good of all, and that's why many of us see the collective success of OTHER communities continue to grow. Meanwhile for us.....well........I can only do my part, and so I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen Tara, I couldn't have said it better myself &lt;img src="/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" /&gt;

Amen Tara, I couldn't have said it better myself

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO!!!

They knew that mess was wrong so now its gone&gt;

To All

All I can say is that I, Crystal am not offended by Motions comics or emails. As a business person with my MBA in marketing, I think their marketing tactics need to be addressed and redifined. I do not think their actions are in any way an attempt to "mock" black people. Just somewhere along the line they have made some bad decisions.... But in short... I will continue to support this company, they make good products and I hope they hear the protests of those who are offended and they can redeem themselves and regain your support.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Crystal,

That's fine. You have the right to feel as you do. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Many of us, myself included, have written to the Motions company about their distasteful choice of advertising, and to those who have not yet done so, I urge you to take the time to send the "experts" an email of complaint. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pebbles said:
Hi Crystal,

That's fine. You have the right to feel as you do. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Many of us, myself included, have written to the Motions company about their distasteful choice of advertising, and to those who have not yet done so, I urge you to take the time to send the "experts" an email of complaint. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Respectfully, I will not be taking time out of my busy day to write Motions about something that I see as trivial. I'm not offended, therefore Motions will not here my thoughts but I think you all have it covered. Under the constitution of the United States we all have the freedom of speech. So hopefully of the "Many" of you that have written, your voice will be heard.

honeycomb719 said:
I have not been able to view the link to the comics mocking US but, I think it tastless, and VERY disturbing that this "brain fart" was allowed to make on the website as a advertising tactic to gain more support and customers of this (IMO) mediocre product.
I agree strongly w/ the majority of the ladies here and say boycott they A$$, and let's see how they tone towards US change.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just curious... You said for yourself that you haven't seen the comics... so how can you make a judgement based on what other people say? I don't think it's fair that you're telling all your friends to boycott something over an issue you've only heard about through hearsay..... You may view the comics and find that they aren't offensive or you may agree with the others... I don't know, but it just seems logical that you should actually see the comics first and think for yourself. Adrienne said she complained and received an email with Motions apologizing and agreeing to remove the comics. Let's see MTV move that fast.

Tara said:

[/ QUOTE ]

First off Tara, While everyone else is hi fiving you and saying your thoughts are "Well Said" and they "Couldn't Have Said it Better Themselves" I don't appreciate you taking my comment about blacks being "too sensitive" and equating A shampoo manufacturer with an odd way of wording to Slavery and The Civil Rights Movement, and how blacks had to fight to sit at the front of the bus, drink out of the same water fountain, etc.

Motions is NOT violating my rights as a human being. Those other things you spoke of did, and of course as a people we HAD to fight.

A poster wrote to Motions said they were offended by the comics, Motions wrote back, apologized and agreed to remove the comics. Rosa Parks couldn't just write a letter and tell the Montgomery Dept. of Transportion her thoughts and have it resolved the next day. She had to fight, boycott until the problem was resolved.

You guys wanted the comics gone, and according to the email... they are gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry Tara, I didn't see the email where Motions called anyone a ****** ... If you can produce that email then I will do a 180, shift my views and join you guys letter writing campaign. But if you're trying to equate some of the verbiage used in the email responses to us being called ******* then I think you are just flat out wrong and yes being too sensitive because that is NOT what happened.

I hope you don't own any rap CD's because they refer to black people as *****'s all day long AND they think it's cute. So while drafting your letter to Motions(who didn't even come close to calling you the n word), I hope you sent a few Ja Rule, 50 cents, Jay-z, etc. And boycott MTV, BET,CBS, VH1, and your local radio stations... Try sending them an email and see if you get a response.

Well it seems that the letter writing campaign is getting quick results from Motions but for some reason I don't think it will be enough to satisfy the masses.

Pandora said:
ok, crystal. point taken. /images/graemlins/look.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What is that supposed to mean? /images/graemlins/look.gif

gabrielle_union.jpg

Hello everyone: /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Wow, I can't believe I missed all of this last night! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

My .2: A few of my friends who also have an MBA in
marketing, have read the comics and don't think
"their" method is a good one. They also think it's
offensive, including the ones who are not of color.

The reason why this will continue to happen with
businesses is because not enough of us own our own
business. Also, if someone believes you are
inferior, nothing you obtain will make them believe
you are now on their level.

I'm not asking anyone to boycott, but I feel it is my duty
to do so. I wasn't too crazy about their products to begin with, and even if I was, I wouldn't only depend on theirs'. There are other great products out there that work just as good or even better.

I don't wait for someone to call me n#gg* to finally get the point! I call it "hidden racism". I've seen so much of it, that it prompted me to do a report on it in college.

Crystal,

I assure you that I was not suggesting that you take time out to write to Motions about those comics, since you clearly stated that you didn't take any offense to them at all. My comment was directed at anyone who did take offense to them. As I stated earlier, you have the right to feel as you do, and the rest of us need to respect that.

I'm sorry Tara, I didn't see the email where Motions called anyone a ****** ... If you can produce that email then I will do a 180, shift my views and join you guys letter writing campaign. But if you're trying to equate some of the verbiage used in the email responses to us being called ******* then I think you are just flat out wrong and yes being too sensitive because that is NOT what happened.

I hope you don't own any rap CD's because they refer to black people as *****'s all day long AND they think it's cute. So while drafting your letter to Motions(who didn't even come close to calling you the n word), I hope you sent a few Ja Rule, 50 cents, Jay-z, etc. And boycott MTV, BET,CBS, VH1, and your local radio stations... Try sending them an email and see if you get a response.

Well it seems that the letter writing campaign is getting quick results from Motions but for some reason I don't think it will be enough to satisfy the masses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this thread is turning into something that it doesn't need to. Regardless of what people feel, I don't want to see this Motions discussion turn into yet another issue that divides us. Anyyone who wants to write to Motions, please do so. Anyone who feels that Motions didn't do anything that was offensive, that's fine too. This doesn't need to go any further. I want to keep this thread open and I'm asking everyone to do their part to help me keep it open. Peace.

pebbles said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this thread is turning into something that it doesn't need to. Regardless of what people feel, I don't want to see this Motions discussion turn into yet another issue that divides us.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pebbles said:

I think that this thread is turning into something that it doesn't need to. Regardless of what people feel, I don't want to see this Motions discussion turn into yet another issue that divides us. Anyyone who wants to write to Motions, please do so. Anyone who feels that Motions didn't do anything that was offensive, that's fine too. This doesn't need to go any further. I want to keep this thread open and I'm asking everyone to do their part to help me keep it open. Peace.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew this was coming.

The threat to close a thread because views are being challenged.

Funny how you choose to highlight my quote as the source of the division since I'm the lone voice of dissension.

Me thinking for myself and challenging others views is called a debate. Not a division. We can still be sisters and not agree.

Whatever... anyone who wants to discuss this matter respectfully and intelligently with me email or PM me for I believe issues can be discussed without being divided and threads closed.

marabou1 said:
gabrielle_union.jpg

Hello everyone: /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Wow, I can't believe I missed all of this last night! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

My .2: A few of my friends who also have an MBA in
marketing, have read the comics and don't think
"their" method is a good one. They also think it's
offensive, including the ones who are not of color.

The reason why this will continue to happen with
businesses is because not enough of us own our own
business. Also, if someone believes you are
inferior, nothing you obtain will make them believe
you are now on their level.

I'm not asking anyone to boycott, but I feel it is my duty
to do so. I wasn't too crazy about their products to begin with, and even if I was, I wouldn't only depend on theirs'. There are other great products out there that work just as good or even better.

I don't wait for someone to call me n#gg* to finally get the point! I call it "hidden racism". I've seen so much of it, that it prompted me to do a report on it in college.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA &amp; Well said! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tara just let them know BIG TIME!!! Thanks so much, your post was very inspiring... whew like a breath of fresh air. I think that issues some see as trivial, are actually very deep. I mean how can you say you wont take the time to write a company who has degraded b/c you're too busy, but you have time to post like 3 responses here??? To me that does not many any sense. Motions will receive, yet another letter detailing why their marketing campaigns need to be revised b/c they are seriously racially insensitive and highly denegrating.
I love their CPR and leave in, but i'll just have to find a good cholesterol, b/c i refuse to buy their products until i see a significant change in their tactics. I just dont understand how boycotting a conditioner is SOOOOO hard... its one of the simplest things one can do to stand up for their race!!!

Crystal,

(and Pebbles, I promise I'll write this and be done). I not only took offense to the way in which they respoind to their customers, but the comic strips were also an issue.

However, I see you were not disturbed by their marketing tactics or customer service.

I just found it funny though that this post came from you:

I've seen those products in the beauty supply. They had "Thug Oil" "Bling Bling Sheen" "Dime Piece Hair Grease"

It was actually kind of disturbing.

But I guess if there's a market for it then they should be able to make a profit too seeing how this is America and all, but the message.

They have an entire line, it's called "Big Baller$ Hair Products"

But for all you PJ's if you go to their website and send them a dollar, you can get some free products.
http://www.bigballersinc.com/thug.html

I just find the whole concept bothersome. I'll stick with Revlon

[/ QUOTE ]

So if you find the Big Baller concept bothersome, and the "message" that's how we find the Motions, the two are one in the same IMO. For the same reason I'll never buy a Big Baller Product is the same reason Motions will never see my money.

But to each their own /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also Crystal, no harm no foul, I mean I'll still post and ask you what products you are using /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif So don't hold a grudge, I know I wont /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Okay, I'm done /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Crystal,

I don't close threads because views are being challenged. I close them when it appears that members may say things that fuel more trouble and I can't get people to stop responding. I've already stated, twice, that you are entitled to your opinion and others will have to deal with it; that includes me too.

I've gotten pretty good at being able to spot the threads that are heading for some trouble and I see it here. If you feel that I'm singling you out, I apologize because that wasn't my intention; but it was clear to me that you were a bit upset in that particular post that I highlighted. If I misinterpreted your feelings, I'm sorry. With so many members, there's no telling where this one can lead to, so that's why I'm asking everyone to keep a cool head here.

Debates can turn into a source of division; it's happened before. But you are absolutely right; we can still be sisters and not agree.

beana3 said:
Tara just let them know BIG TIME!!! Thanks so much, your post was very inspiring... whew like a breath of fresh air. I think that issues some see as trivial, are actually very deep. I mean how can you say you wont take the time to write a company who has degraded b/c you're too busy, but you have time to post like 3 responses here???

[/ QUOTE ]

Pebbles asked that we keep this thread civil but I don't feel I'm the only one that should have to comply. If you want to make a comment about something I said I don't see why you can't make it directly to me and not packaged in a response to Tara. I don't bite, you don't have to be scared of me because I think for myself and speak my mind.

I didn't write Motions because I don't find their comics or their emails offensive not because I didn't have the physical time. I'm too busy worrying about other issues in my life than to worry about Motions and their silly comics. I said very clearly I'll pick my battles and that's not one I choose to fight. If you choose to fight it than so be it.

I find their marketing tactics a little questionable but not grave enough for me to protest. I do not think their intentions are malicious just misquided.

Dear Detective Tara,
You never addressed my other post but that's okay, I will not however ignore yours.

If you don't see the difference in marketing an entire line with ebonical verbiage vs. some silly intern ending his emails with "tell your friends, motions said "what's up?" I don't know where to begin.

I can honestly say when I saw that line of products my business mind clicked before my "Black" mind did. As a marketing major, my first thought was who came up with this crap? Someone actually sat around and thought this was a good idea. But as a business person, I try to reserve judgement on new products because sometimes they do have a core audience.

Thug Oil is not marketed towards me. Just like I don't get offefnded with Ja Rule and Co. call Black women *****es because they aren't talking to Crystal while I think it's disturbing they do this, I don't get offended.

Big baller products is just a bad idea altogther because One it's marketing campaign is to stereotype people, Two they have attempted to differentiate themselves in the marketplace with a sub par product and their brand imaging is all wrong. They tried to enter a competitive market place by differentiating themselves but yet have alienated a large segment of their core audience... Kind of like Hooter's is doing with their new airline. Their marketing to men but women fly also and on that plan... they'll more than likely fail.

Motions just made a few mistakes... Thug Products IS a mistake. I'm not sure if i"m more bothered by the fact that there's a market for this stuff or that they thought it was a good idea.

But in the end Detective, all I can say is that I will NOT be using Big Baller's products because they're just silly. But I will continue to Motions and not Penalize them for a few bad decisions.

I think how they answer their emails and respond so quickly shows they are trying and because their intentions is not purposefully hurt black people and degrade them, they get my support.

I'm not mad either. I jsut think this thread got a little out of hand but since I'm not going anywhere anytime soon I have to just Brush it off.

But can I call you Detective T from now on? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Crystal said:
beana3 said:
Tara just let them know BIG TIME!!! Thanks so much, your post was very inspiring... whew like a breath of fresh air. I think that issues some see as trivial, are actually very deep. I mean how can you say you wont take the time to write a company who has degraded b/c you're too busy, but you have time to post like 3 responses here???

[/ QUOTE ]

Pebbles asked that we keep this thread civil but I don't feel I'm the only one that should have to comply. If you want to make a comment about something I said I don't see why you can't make it directly to me and not packaged in a response to Tara. I don't bite, you don't have to be scared of me because I think for myself and speak my mind.

I didn't write Motions because I don't find their comics or their emails offensive not because I didn't have the physical time. I'm too busy worrying about other issues in my life than to worry about Motions and their silly comics. I said very clearly I'll pick my battles and that's not one I choose to fight. If you choose to fight it than so be it.

I find their marketing tactics a little questionable but not grave enough for me to protest. I do not think their intentions are malicious just misquided.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Crystal, I simply did NOT want to call your comments out and draw negative attention to you. I did not want to you to feel everyone in this thread is attacking you because you have "opposing" views and so forth. for the aforementioned reason, I felt that not mentioning your name was best. For the record if anyone wants to reference the comments in question, please refer to Crystal's previous posts....

Personally I feel that comments like, "I can not take the time out of my busy schedule to write so and so.." and "I was not offended. so I will not write anyone.." are very unfounded, because you OBVIOUSLY have time to argue over something that You CLAIM is not even important. If you feel so strongly about supporting motions, go ahead. I think the original purpose of this thread was to encourage SUPPORTERS of boycotting Motions to write the company an express their views.

Now if you are not in support of the proposed boycott, why hijack a thread and consequently diverge the attention from the original issues???... The ladies here have all expressed their feelings of distaste for the comics, and i feel they have the right to do so, especially within a thread that was created solely for that purpose.

Now if you do not feel strongly enough about the comics, that's your business. The ladies here obviously do and you have absolutely NO right to criticize people who want to see a positive change in a company that sells the products many women here purchase.

Crystal said:

But can I call you Detective T from now on? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay now THAT was funny!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

And you may, in fact off line that is my nickname too!! I can't help it I'm a research fiend!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

But can I call you Detective T from now on?

[/ QUOTE ]

girl, you are right on point! i call tara Rockford all the time!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

adrienne

adrienne0914 said:
But can I call you Detective T from now on?

[/ QUOTE ]

girl, you are right on point! i call tara Rockford all the time!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

adrienne

[/ QUOTE ]

My secret is out!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/rofl.gif /images/graemlins/rofl.gif /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I should hand out business cards:

Is your man doing you wrong? Is a hair company jerking you around? Are you not sure about your vitamins? Call

Tara Rockford!! Investigator Supreme!

(insert some sort of detective music) /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Don't feel bad Tara...you are not laone...I am a detective as well...I just keep mine on the hush hush...
ever need help finding anything hit me up!!! We can swap sources!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back